Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

Very sensible post.

Pellegrino's substitution of Boufal for Yoshida very nearly cost us the game but we won despite his stupidity.

Shroppie is talking rubish.

I'm not acquainted with rubish. If you mean rubbish, I'll obviously disagree, as many others do too. We won. Our manager responded to a physical forward threat by bringing on an extra CB. Good move. Maybe I'd have taken off Davis instead. There, are you happy now I've said something vaguely critical?

It's bizarre how much anger there is on here today, when we've won. I can only conclude that there are some whose agenda to sack the manager is greater than wanting the team to win. And that really is very sad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What annoyed me most about the substitution was that the manager spent the rest of the game explaining what to do in the new shape. The players didn’t have a clue.

That struck me, too. Pellegrino was was very animated on the sidelines urging the team to move up. But he'd taken off Boufal and stuck on a central defender and subsequently no one seemed to know where they were supposed to be. Especially the front 3 (which I think went to a front 2 Long central and Tadic on left) You'd think formation variations would be drilled in practice. Suddenly we had no one on the right, at one point Davis found himself out there the ball was played down the line to him by Cedric, it seemed pretty obvious that Davis felt he had strayed from where he was supposed to be as he was reluctant to chase the ball and even more reluctant to take it any further down the wing.

I got the right hump as soon as Boufal went off and sat there waiting for the inevitable equalizer, but Watford's ineptness should not be underestimated. As soon as Boufal went off we were finished as an attacking threat and didn't muster another shot at goal. I know because I was down that end. The attack looked a shambles bereft of any coherency.

Still we're into the 5th round but christ this manager sucks big time.

That struck me, too. Pellegrino was was very animated on the sidelines urging the team to move up. But he'd taken off Boufal and stuck on a central defender and subsequently no one seemed to know where they were supposed to be. Especially the front 3 (which I think went to a front 2 Long central and Tadic on left) You'd think formation variations would be drilled in practice. Suddenly we had no one on the right, at one point Davis found himself out there the ball was played down the line to him by Cedric, it seemed pretty obvious that Davis felt he had strayed from where he was supposed to be as he was reluctant to chase the ball and even more reluctant to take it any further down the wing.

I got the right hump as soon as Boufal went off and sat there waiting for the inevitable equalizer, but Watford's ineptness should not be underestimated. As soon as Boufal went off we were finished as an attacking threat and didn't muster another shot at goal. I know because I was down that end. The attack looked a shambles bereft of any coherency.

I think you are wrong. Yosh came on in about the 60-65th minute, don't tell me we didn't make an attempt after that (although with our shooting!!)

I was at the Huddersfield game and Wolves game, so i know when we play well and badly. Huddersfield we were truly woeful, and Wolves we simply should have lost 4-1 they battered us.

But this as a performance was very good and i didn't think we were defensive, we had far more chances. Watford had 2-3 shots all game. It was hardly backs to the wall and pressure, yes they had a cross in the last minute but that is often the case when at 1-0! the other team will try to put on pressure.

There are some good signs that the team (as a whole) is improving and there's spirit and fight there, if we do beat Brighton and i expect us to i can see us starting to turn the form round. We're not a awful side, we're just a side who has lacked confidence and belief and has been affected by infighting for weeks on end. But you can tell the players are playing for the manager and performances have picked up over the last three games.

I didn't see the game - wife's 50th - but one thing which amazes me about Pellegrini is his apparent failure to get the best out of our really good players like Boufal and Lemina, even Gabbiadini. He doesn't seem to play them enough, leave them on, encourage them, put his arm round them, Klopp style or build their confidence.

Thought the first half was decent, we could and probably should have put them out of sight in the first 30 mins. 2nd half was durge though, trying to hold on for a 1-0 against a depleted Watford side at home is depressing. Retreat, retreat, retreat. I think that's what us fans find frustrating, hopefully with a bit of pace in the side we won't get stuck so deep and will have an outlet. He does love defending a lead though, no matter how slim.

Onto the 5th round, amazingly.

Thank you for an accurate, factual and sensible report.

Good summary ....agree 100%.

That take done by Boufal was sublime. The ball was a long high cross field pass which come down out of the air, he took it and killed the ball stone dead, turned and ran forward in one movement.....but the ball somehow slithered out of play. The guy has ridiculous skills. He should have had a Pen in the second half. It happened just in front of me and he was barged in the back and fell over, no way was it a dive of any kind so a clear foul which would have been given anywhere else on the pitch. He was getting a battering up front and I was actually relieved to see him come off and be preserved for Wednesday where his value will be much greater.

Do you think he did take Boufal off to save him for Brighton, or because he often subs him, even when playing well?

Sack the whole board? You've forgotten how we nearly ended up being bought by the hedge fund that nearly destroyed Coventry by selling their ground.

The Board not the owner (i.e. BS word bingo Ralph - who has brought bugger all additional commercial revenue or exposure for the club, which is his job; Les Reed - who will have hired two poor managers in a row, and not invested in the right players or positions; Martin Semmens - what does he do anyway??). If Gao wants to p*ss £200M up the wall it's his choice but I would rather he did it elsewhere and does not destroy a club I love in the process, and hence IMHO should yes sack the whole board and get one that knows what they are doing - will not change the ownership.

Are you suggesting that a home side shouldn't deploy counter tactics if an away manager decides to put 4 players up front?

Even more serious question :)

This is exactly what I've been worried about MP not doing, but he reacted well and made a change. As far as I'm concerned, it was a good move. And, although it doesn't matter to some, we won.

They did mention it on Talk Sport and could see why Saints fans get frustrated with MoPe's negative substitutions. I don't see a problem with game management, the trouble is we get more and more negative and invite the oppo back into the game. Hopefully if we get Promes or similar, we might have more of a weapon to hit teams on the break when that attack us, but at the moment we just don't.

They did mention it on Talk Sport and could see why Saints fans get frustrated with MoPe's negative substitutions. I don't see a problem with game management, the trouble is we get more and more negative and invite the oppo back into the game. Hopefully if we get Promes or similar, we might have more of a weapon to hit teams on the break when that attack us, but at the moment we just don't.

The problem is teams know if they send on attacking players we will just batten down the hatches , Which just encourages them to throw everything at us without much worry that we'll make a concerted effort to attack them !

This is exactly what I've been worried about MP not doing, but he reacted well and made a change. As far as I'm concerned, it was a good move. And, although it doesn't matter to some, we won.

We won in spite of the sub, not because of it. We played worse and looked more likely to draw the game after the change. Not a good move from MP, no harm in saying that.

I know that they brought another ST on at half-time but we were on top right up until he made that sub. It just invited the pressure and the sh_te he spouted afterwards that the full-backs were too short was just to cover for him admitting that he lost his bottle....again.

Thought Cedric and Hojbjerg stood out - great work rate and used possession well. Win's a win in the cup. Coventry away next round please.

Just a note, i saw a few Watford players go over to their fans after the game - didn't quite know what it was about but it certainly didn't look like a pleasant chat!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/27/southampton-watford-fa-cup-match-report

But the article states that the fans negativity had riled the players, i know there was talk of protests etc but this is why we have to be careful that we don't turn to apathetic and support the team.

I can see what Pellegrino's trying to achieve which is more than I could say earlier in the season. We've got 3 games this week - 2 of them absolutely vital - and he was trying to win the game to give the team confidence while keeping players fresh for later in the week and ease a couple of players into match fitness.

Mission accomplished.

Looks like we're stuck with him so let's support the win and hope that the next couple of games go according to plan.

Not Cedric.

Edited by Dark Munster

I heard a lot of moaning after they end of the game while leaving the stadium, and there seems a lot of negativity on this thread. As someone very critical of MP during first half of season here are a few comments to balance some of the stuff on here:

- we won, and deservedly so. We should have been at least two goals clear by half time, hit the bar second half and wasted further opportunities and none of that is MP’s fault. Predictably Watford went direct late on and that was the only threat

- unlike previous occasions where has been outsmarted by other managers, his decision to bring on Maya was imaginative. Now it may be negative, or cautious, but it at least showed he learned from the away game. I think Cedric and Pied are too small as half of a back four when team starts like Watford hoof it up to Okaka and co.

- I thought there were some really excellent performances from both centre backs, Cedric, Romeu and Tadic first half.

- He prioritised winning the game to build confidence, picked a good side and should be applauded for that.

- finally we are in the last 16, and that is one defeat in six in all competitions. It isn’t unrealistic to go from no wins since November to playing champagne football overnight but I for one enjoyed watching us win and am please for MP and the players. Now we need at least 4 points from Brighton and WBA to make it an excellent week.

Let’s be positive

Sometimes a win erases or wipes all the bad things

Not really, not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination but it’s sad that even a positive result, people just want to focus on a what they see as negatives! It is amazing that MP gets pilloried for not making tactical changes when we don’t win and still gets hammered when he does make changes and we do win. So many half empty glasses

Edited by Strangely Brown

Here's a summary from someone who was at the game.

We played very well in spells and SHOULD have won that game 4-0 - yes seriously.

Watford barely threatened our goal we had them under control, although they were clearly a much bigger side in terms of physical height/weight, despite that we were clearly better in all other aspects of our game.

Stephens was excellent all game, well taken rebound, composed at the back, good distribution and coped well with a big strike force - my joint MOM

McCarthy - decent distribution and had one good save to make. Can't really say more than that.

Hoedt - Solid game, never looked troubled at any stage.

Bertrand - excellent when he was on he linked well with Boufal

Cedric - What a game he had, was up and down and always offering a threat and decent crosses in and should have scored twice. Joint MOM.

Holberg - WHAT A SHOT - very unlucky not to score, was his usual self, breaking play up and offering an outlet, he also showed a nastier side to his game and left his foot in - but again you can't drop him for Lemina he's consistant these days. Good performance.

Davis - Some decent link-up play but clearly the weak link in midfield, he struggled to impose himself and offer anything especially second half his legs went, think we should get rid in the Summer.

Romeu - Fairly solid, but he's constantly playing 6/10 games or 5/10 games, looks half the player he was last season.

Tadic - Very good game, didn't roll around in agony and some very good crosses, looked a threat and was creative, his form is improving.

Boufal - some lovely touches and dribbles is clearly our best player, at one stage he brought a ball down on a dime that was sublime but managed to roulette out of play. He is who we should build around, i'd like to see him be a bit more greedy at times he just needs to decide what he wants to do earlier, so if he feints and cuts in then have a shot (all one movement) - but he does one thing and then thinks TOO much, he is much better when it's natural like the dribble where he should have had a penalty. Good performance, but by his standards he could do better especially when facing up defenders.

Long - Frustrating player... worked so hard and did so many things well but his end product was so poor, the chance he created for Cedric came from a shocking touch, and when picked out by Tadic his shot/cross was just strange, i think he'll look much better in a 4-4-2 with Carillo.

Subs

Pied - looked uncomfortable! especially when he came on yet almost created a goal at left back for Cedric, very one-footed and doesn't look fit.

Yoshida - i understood the substitition was to counter the threat of the heavyweight boxer upfront in Okaka who was a unit, we went to a 5 at the back (negative some say - but it worked and we defended well)

Carillo - hard to say, he touched the ball three times, he is slow as you'd expect. Needs time to adapt, had no crosses his way other than a late FK - but he went in against the keeper which is good.

Overall, the Bertrand injury basically messed us up (what has happened to McQueen??) - i'd have liked to see Carillo start, as for Lemina etc, we have some disgrunted players who can't get game time who on paper should be better than they are, but i think the manager is keeping the players who show the best attitude, we were in control and Watford didn't threaten us it was a good performance and the disappointing thing was we just lack cutting edge to kill off games. But anyone moaning at that needs to wake up.

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Solid defensive display - tick

Chances created - tick

Just got back, knackered, but you saved me the bother because that's pretty much how I saw it as well. We played well all over the pitch today and should have won more comfortably. We played with intent today and if PEH had hit it 3 inches lower it would have been a cracking goal.

Too knackered to write much right now, but as others who were there have said, there isn't really much to be griping at.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Here's a summary from someone who was at the game.

We played very well in spells and SHOULD have won that game 4-0 - yes seriously.

Watford barely threatened our goal we had them under control, although they were clearly a much bigger side in terms of physical height/weight, despite that we were clearly better in all other aspects of our game.

Stephens was excellent all game, well taken rebound, composed at the back, good distribution and coped well with a big strike force - my joint MOM

McCarthy - decent distribution and had one good save to make. Can't really say more than that.

Hoedt - Solid game, never looked troubled at any stage.

Bertrand - excellent when he was on he linked well with Boufal

Cedric - What a game he had, was up and down and always offering a threat and decent crosses in and should have scored twice. Joint MOM.

Holberg - WHAT A SHOT - very unlucky not to score, was his usual self, breaking play up and offering an outlet, he also showed a nastier side to his game and left his foot in - but again you can't drop him for Lemina he's consistant these days. Good performance.

Davis - Some decent link-up play but clearly the weak link in midfield, he struggled to impose himself and offer anything especially second half his legs went, think we should get rid in the Summer.

Romeu - Fairly solid, but he's constantly playing 6/10 games or 5/10 games, looks half the player he was last season.

Tadic - Very good game, didn't roll around in agony and some very good crosses, looked a threat and was creative, his form is improving.

Boufal - some lovely touches and dribbles is clearly our best player, at one stage he brought a ball down on a dime that was sublime but managed to roulette out of play. He is who we should build around, i'd like to see him be a bit more greedy at times he just needs to decide what he wants to do earlier, so if he feints and cuts in then have a shot (all one movement) - but he does one thing and then thinks TOO much, he is much better when it's natural like the dribble where he should have had a penalty. Good performance, but by his standards he could do better especially when facing up defenders.

Long - Frustrating player... worked so hard and did so many things well but his end product was so poor, the chance he created for Cedric came from a shocking touch, and when picked out by Tadic his shot/cross was just strange, i think he'll look much better in a 4-4-2 with Carillo.

Subs

Pied - looked uncomfortable! especially when he came on yet almost created a goal at left back for Cedric, very one-footed and doesn't look fit.

Yoshida - i understood the substitition was to counter the threat of the heavyweight boxer upfront in Okaka who was a unit, we went to a 5 at the back (negative some say - but it worked and we defended well)

Carillo - hard to say, he touched the ball three times, he is slow as you'd expect. Needs time to adapt, had no crosses his way other than a late FK - but he went in against the keeper which is good.

Overall, the Bertrand injury basically messed us up (what has happened to McQueen??) - i'd have liked to see Carillo start, as for Lemina etc, we have some disgrunted players who can't get game time who on paper should be better than they are, but i think the manager is keeping the players who show the best attitude, we were in control and Watford didn't threaten us it was a good performance and the disappointing thing was we just lack cutting edge to kill off games. But anyone moaning at that needs to wake up.

Win - tick

Clean sheet - tick

Solid defensive display - tick

Chances created - tick

Thanks, saved me a lot of typing. In no way ashamed to say I enjoyed the game today, we were the better team and should have won by a more convincing score line. It was clear in the 2nd half their tactics were to hit it long to their big guys so wasn't suprised Yoshi came on. Was a shame Boufal went off as he had a good game. I don't think 3 at the back was wrong, but in my opinion the full backs were too deep to start with. As time ticked by though they got further forward (Cedric could / should? have scored) and the shape was better.

Thought the atmosphere was pretty good today too considering all the doom and gloom. Though that might be because I took the chance to move us out of the Family Enc into the Kingsland nearer the Northam.

Are you sure you were at the game ? Pied in my opinion had a very good game , brave and ran his socks off , like Cedric ", my sort of players .

I was at the game and agree about Pied; was very pleasantly surprised with how well he played. Also agree with the assessment of saintsmike25 (apart from his view on Pied) - we should have been well ahead at half-time.

This was one of the most boring, soul destroying experiences I've ever had at St Mary's. Turgid, uninspiring rubbish. Why do we have to suffer this fool of a manager any longer.

Going defensive at 60mins when we were on the offensive and taking off our best player defies any sort of football logic. Crikey even Blackmore screwed up enough bottle to ask the Clown the question and of course the answer was gibberish.

You missed the Leicester game then?

Exactly. There are too many on here now who only have a negative agenda and can't cope with anything positive. Today was good. If you're really a Saints fan, that is enough. Otherwise, please go away.

Thanks for your input Les. Get back under your stone and come out again when we get another player in. Stay wet as ugly toads can dry up when they are hiding under stones.. T*sser. OOOh Shane didn't quite..........

Absolutely take the win but appaling negative tactics inviting pressure onto us once again. What on earth is the manager playing at? You can guarantee we will do this again this season and will lose yet more points because of it. It has to stop and if we are resolved to sticking with the manager then someone needs to have a word with him to prevent it from happening. It's absolutely maddening!

But the question everyone wants answers to is whos going to stop it?............Reid and the canadian hockey fella seem clueless as to when they might act or at least go on record to support the guy ,looks to me as if hes the man for this team.wow fouck were in the shoit if this continues right?

One other thing - was VAR available/being used today? I gather it was used regularly at Anfield this evening and wonder if it was used to check on the push on Boufal in the second-half which looked a clear penalty.

I don't believe it was in action, at the moment it's only being used for certain games.

Sort of wish all the boo boys would've given it a rest today. It's not like the result has endangered their brilliant bets on the club being relegated. w**kers.

Hope Bertrand's okay. Sims to the bench please! Wednesday's so much more important, hope there are some good vibes in the locker room. Carrillo can't start, surely?

I am not a fan of MP, but I have to applaud that he is taking the competition seriously unlike others before him.....and we actually WON!

The younger brigade might regard the FA Cup as trivial because they have been brainwashed by the CL over the past few years, but to us older supporters it is still a great competition.

1st May 1976 at Wembley was the best day of my life thus far, and you will never get the same feeling by finishing 4th in the league.....ever.

History only remembers winners....and you have to be in it to win it, which we still are.

Therefore, I do not see the reason why certain posters wish to be so negative on a day such as this. Take another look at our semi-final win over Palace in '76.......that was really ugly football, but it was only the result that mattered.

I am not a fan of MP, but I have to applaud that he is taking the competition seriously unlike others before him.....and we actually WON!

The younger brigade might regard the FA Cup as trivial because they have been brainwashed by the CL over the past few years, but to us older supporters it is still a great competition.

1st May 1976 at Wembley was the best day of my life thus far, and you will never get the same feeling by finishing 4th in the league.....ever.

History only remembers winners....and you have to be in it to win it, which we still are.

Therefore, I do not see the reason why certain posters wish to be so negative on a day such as this. Take another look at our semi-final win over Palace in '76.......that was really ugly football, but it was only the result that mattered.

Not sure he’s taking the competition seriously per se. But realises that for a team so starved of confidence, a win is win and may kickstart a run in the league.

Thanks for your input Les. Get back under your stone and come out again when we get another player in. Stay wet as ugly toads can dry up when they are hiding under stones.. T*sser. OOOh Shane didn't quite..........
The great thing about a football forum is that it is such a useful platform for intelligent debate.

I suppose it's inevitable that some posters haven't got the hang of it yet and haven't got past writing gibberish.

The great thing about a football forum is that it is such a useful platform for intelligent debate.

I suppose it's inevitable that some posters haven't got the hang of it yet and haven't got past writing gibberish.

Exactly. Intelligent debate like when people accuse others of having an agenda because their opinion differs on a game of football.

Stay off the fizzy pop Larry, you can't take it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Since the game wasn't streamed anywhere I had to make do with the radio commentary. There was a lot of criticism for bringing on Yoshida but at the same time Pellegrino got slack for not bringing on someone string in the air in the previous match against Watford.

On the radio the Kabasele chance was judge to be an horrendous sitter but when I saw it on MOTD today its a very difficult chance (on an angle, relatively far out, goalie in position). If that was their biggest chance in the second half then we were quite comfortable. It would be nice if we could score a bit more with the chances we create and hopefully Carillo can help in that department.

Hey it wasn't that bad. Nice to see a win. Saints controlled the game and really should have been 2 or 3 nill up after 60 mins.

Not happy with the injuries that could hurt us.

I get why MP brought on Yoshida, sensible really. Cup games always end like that.

However it should have been for Cedric who was one leg by then. Add Lemina for Davis and its game over for Watford.

Why can't he see it? What's the matter with him.

In other news did anyone else notice how well Kabesela played. He really caught the eye. He had no support, so was a bit stretched but put a real shift in.

He had a row with the Watford fans at the end so clearly not happy. I'd be happy to see him in red and white. Worth a cheeky bid maybe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk