Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

out of interest was there a reaction from the fans when he made that change ?
No, because they had brought on big ****house forwards do we needed to bolster the defence. Sensible move.

Bloody hell, I'm getting fed up with some of the ignorant idiots on here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank god for that, someone who actually saw it. I didn't and so have refrained from comment. Very pleased you thought it was a decent performance.

Bit worrying that by comments made Blackmore and Merrington on Solent were not of the same view. No disrespect but I would take Merrington’s views over Shroppie anytime.

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

Couldn't get to the game so had to rely on listening to the commentary, as did quite a few others on here. I haven't heard a manager slated for his negative and baffling changes by commentators like that for quite some time, if ever. The comments on this thread are totally understandable based on listening to that, together with witnessing this managers other shocking decisions over the course of this season. By all accounts we almost gave the obligatory late equaliser away and only a poor finish prevented yet another shocking result........

Ffs read what people are writing. We won in spite of the managers woeful decision making. To have Boufal come off and Yoshi come on when we were in the front foot was ludicrous. Fair enough bring Yoshi on, go 3-5-2 but don’t sacrifice our creative player. Later on he gives Carillo is debut but took off Tadic and Left Long on. With Bouf and Tads (and Bertie, and also Cedric struggling) who is going to feed the big man crosses, all it did was put us under more pressure.

A good manager would have gone 3-5-2, Yoshi to CB, struggling Cedric off as a precaution, Stephens to RB/RWB. Boufal up top with Long and then Long off for Carillo. It’s not rocket surgery.

It doesn't even need a good manager to have figured that out, just one with half a brain. Even Wigley would've known what to do.

Bit worrying that by comments made Blackmore and Merrington on Solent were not of the same view. No disrespect but I would take Merrington’s views over Shroppie anytime.

One of them is a stubborn old man, and one who has made his mind up on this manager regardless of what happens.

The other is a fat ****ing idiot.

So anyone who thinks what that pairing say should be taken as gospel... well, they need to seriously think again. And that is just a general stance. (I like dave when he is happy and in a good mood ;))

Merrington and Blackmore have made their minds up. Dave was at his miserable best. It is very telling from the comments that those who listened to the commentary could not escape misery dave's opinions... Didn't see, but going to slate the win anyway... Jokers.

I was there. We played ok, should have scored more (annoying, again) and then surrendered the initiative (ANNOYING, AGAIN). People want us to play well and win convincingly sometimes, or at least win by a narrow scoreline but never look in any real danger. Today was an opportunity to do that and we didn't do it. Yet again. We've only done it ONCE all season. Reason - negative defensive cr@p from a this negative cr@p manager.

Did not watch the full 90- only read whatever was posted here. but I am a results guy- so if we won 1-0 despite being dominated towards the end, whilst it matters a little bit, the result means so much more- obviously we would all like comfortable wins every week but ngl if watford really did miss a header towards the end then we deserve to ride our luck a bit there.

Will gladly take a 1-0 win like todays against brighton and other subsequent fixtures. Into the next round- gonna hope for Coventry away.

So... basically all saints. With watford's only shot on target being a messed up cross from 30yards? :rolleyes:
Exactly. There are too many on here now who only have a negative agenda and can't cope with anything positive. Today was good. If you're really a Saints fan, that is enough. Otherwise, please go away.

Did not watch the full 90- only read whatever was posted here. but I am a results guy- so if we won 1-0 despite being dominated towards the end, whilst it matters a little bit, the result means so much more- obviously we would all like comfortable wins every week but ngl if watford really did miss a header towards the end then we deserve to ride our luck a bit there.

Will gladly take a 1-0 win like todays against brighton and other subsequent fixtures. Into the next round- gonna hope for Coventry away.

We weren't dominated. They had a couple of half chances.

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

this . i was also at the game

Exactly. There are too many on here now who only have a negative agenda and can't cope with anything positive. Today was good. If you're really a Saints fan, that is enough. Otherwise, please go away.

Thabks for your opinion but clearly there are saints fans who did attend the match and who have a different opinion to you. Absolutely no need to be so aggressive just because people disagree. For some people a 1-0 home win against a team on a similarly poor run of form provides plenty of reasons to look forward with optimism and for others they can see problems with the performance and can see a continuation of similar issues we have suffered with throughout the season.

I'm glad we won but I don't think we have seen a big change with this performance that means I am any more confident about Wednesday as much as I hope we get a win there.

Today was fine. But it's completely in spite of the manager. The fact that Watford are terrible and didn't create anything doesn't mean we didn't sit back with 20 minutes left and try and defend a 1-0. We come unstuck doing that against better teams, as proven numerous times this season.

UTS!

This! Thank you Shroppie.

Today was fine. But it's completely in spite of the manager. The fact that Watford are terrible and didn't create anything doesn't mean we didn't sit back with 20 minutes left and try and defend a 1-0. We come unstuck doing that against better teams, as proven numerous times this season.
Thanks for your opinion. Good to hear a perspective from someone who was there.

Anyone saying that was good has a very low threshold for that clarification.

We won, which is good.

We gave away the initiative because we were more worried about losing than being confident in our ability to win.

Baby steps perhaps and listening to Pellegrino afterwards explained it. But is being defensive the Southampton Way? No. Is it fun to watch? Hardly. Did it deflate the atmosphere? Yes. Did it invite pressure on that wasn’t really evident? Yes.

But we go into the next round and it’s another Match for MoPe to demonstrate that he can make us an attacking team to match the club’s rhetoric.

UTS!

I suspect your view will count for very little. Those who weren’t there know we were poor, due to the Manager, beyond doubt.

Played some great stuff with Boufal and Tadic causing Watford so many problms ......then on the 65th minute came the worst sub ive seen for a very long time .....complety negative and changed the game ...the whole ground went dead and all i could hear was" WTFis he doing!! " We were lucky to hold on in the end .......final thought if only Shane long could finish !

The most worrying thing all season is that we've done it once, against a team managed by David Unsworth.

How many more teams can we rely on to be managed by David Unsworth?

Well we play Everton in our penultimate fixture in early May. If Fat Sam monumentally ****s up I guess there's hope.............

Listening to Pellegrino’s interview with Adam Blackmore doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it.

To paraphrase Gareth Southgate, we need Winston Churchill, but have instead got Iain Duncan Smith!

Very difficult to understand what he was trying to say but I think he was saying that he wants us to be more confident with a few 1-0 wins abd then progress onto scoring more in future games. Judt bizarre.

Good Points:

A WIN - Nice to have one of of those!

Good attacking impetus first half.

Always nice to see a defender causing problems in the opposition box.

Bad:

Bertrand injured

Surrerended the initiative to Watford -better teams will (and already have) punished us this season.

Dusan not on the left :scared:

Would have liked to us stay attacking with Youth players coming off the bench towards the end -but we didn't have any.

Anyway, through to the next round, and Hopefully MP will learn his lesson for the Brighton game, which has become one of the Biggest of our season. COYS

One of the major criticisms of the manager has been his inability to adjust tactics when the other team makes a sub or change.

Today Okaka comes on, Watford basically play 4 up front for the last half hour, we’ve got a RB at LB - so the manager makes a change to bring on an extra defender to counter that and.... gets slaughtered.

I’m sure he’d love to leave the defence to cope and make a more attacking change, but when you’ve got 3 centre backs who can’t head anything, perhaps strength in numbers is the best tactic.

And if we had any sort of composure in the final third for that last 20mins, we’d have picked them off at ease.

Anyone saying that was good has a very low threshold for that clarification.

We won, which is good.

We gave away the initiative because we were more worried about losing than being confident in our ability to win.

Baby steps perhaps and listening to Pellegrino afterwards explained it. But is being defensive the Southampton Way? No. Is it fun to watch? Hardly. Did it deflate the atmosphere? Yes. Did it invite pressure on that wasn’t really evident? Yes.

But we go into the next round and it’s another Match for MoPe to demonstrate that he can make us an attacking team to match the club’s rhetoric.

Given our position I feel results are now more important than style now. Fun watching is well behind winning.

Having said that trying to defend narrow leads with our current squad doesn't seem like the best way to get results.

I enjoyed the game and thought we played some good stuff, Tadic and Soares linking nicely on the right. A bit disjointed and open at times and a bit of luck that Watford were poor.

Definitely a decent team in there somewhere, just whether it can be managed well or not.

Abysmal sub bringing on Yoshida for Boufal, killed the atmosphere and impetus and handed all momentum to Watford.

Bizarre then that other people who were there felt we were poor and that the subs were bizarre. It's almost like people can have different opinions. Fancy that!

Don't mind the opposing opinions but I think people are (rightfully) annoyed at Shroppie's bizarre aggression, for some reason he can't accept people disagree with him. Very strange.

I enjoyed the game and thought we played some good stuff, Tadic and Soares linking nicely on the right. A bit disjointed and open at times and a bit of luck that Watford were poor.

Definitely a decent team in there somewhere, just whether it can be managed we'll or not.

Abysmal sub bringing on Yoshida for Boufal, killed the atmosphere and impetus and handed all momentum to Watford.

Just about sums it up. The frustration as you point out is that the suspicion remains that with a half decent manager we would be much higher up the table.

I am glad the thread title captured my feeling at least.

How the f**k anyone can be happy with that performance and result, Ill never know...

yes you are right. why the f**k am i happy with this result. hope we lose every game then i will be happy :mcinnes:

Ah, OK.....Well, I posted earlier that I was disgusted at this win, and that it felt weird. That's not being fickle, it was a disgusting display of managership. Obviously I'll take the win because I am a fan. The nature of the win, however was deplorable. Hope that clears things up.

Don't you live abroad? Pretty strong words considering you didn't see anything. If you were at the game, then fair enough. That isn't to say you/anyone can't have an opinion unless witnessing the event, but again, i find it difficult to process how someone can have such a strong negative/perception of something they didn't see.

Edited by Donatello

I am glad the thread title captured my feeling at least.

How the f**k anyone can be happy with that performance and result, Ill never know...

Yeah how can anyone be happy with the result? What other result did you want you miserable cnt?

Played some great stuff with Boufal and Tadic causing Watford so many problms ......then on the 65th minute came the worst sub ive seen for a very long time .....complety negative and changed the game ...the whole ground went dead and all i could hear was" WTFis he doing!! " We were lucky to hold on in the end .......final thought if only Shane long could finish !

Spot on!!

What other dumb **** made that decision as we have a team of coaches discussing the substitution surely?

Thank you.

We did look good, dominated to all intents and purposes.

But all those missed opportunities to seal it, then Watford getting a couple of late chances, I was nervous watching the highlights knowing we'd won! :?

You see, I think we're actually a pretty decent side, but we seem to have a real problem converting goalscoring chances. Hoj off the post, Long several 'couldn't quite reach', Cedric a couple close, Tadic could've scored before Stephens poked it in.

Maybe Carrillo will make a difference, especially if played alongside Gabbi.

Here's hoping.