Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

I think MP2 got it CORRECT today.

I had a go at him when he didn't change things against burnley, hull and other sides when the opposition changed their tactics.

Even 2 weeks ago against watford he should have gone to 3 at the back in the 2nd half when they went route 1 with deeney.

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.

If any Saints was watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

He learnt from his mistake he made 2 weeks by not going to 3 at the back.

Give credit to MP2 today he saw the opposition had changed their tactics and REACTED.

Yes, a substitution needed to be made, but that was the wrong one. Lemina in for Tadic, Boufal or Davis would have retained command of the midfield. As it was, he weakened the midfield and our attacking options, forcing us to sit deeper and allowing Watford's big lumps onto our defence. Even with Yoshida added in defence, we still had the threat Watford had at set pieces to contend with, so control of the midfield was needed to keep our high line to prevent them getting corners and also free kicks close to our penalty area.

Hey it wasn't that bad. Nice to see a win. Saints controlled the game and really should have been 2 or 3 nill up after 60 mins.

Not happy with the injuries that could hurt us.

I get why MP brought on Yoshida, sensible really. Cup games always end like that.

However it should have been for Cedric who was one leg by then. Add Lemina for Davis and its game over for Watford.

Why can't he see it? What's the matter with him.

In other news did anyone else notice how well Kabesela played. He really caught the eye. He had no support, so was a bit stretched but put a real shift in.

He had a row with the Watford fans at the end so clearly not happy. I'd be happy to see him in red and white. Worth a cheeky bid maybe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What number was he? I thought the handball expert was pretty good, but he seemed to have the cleanest shirt I haveseen on a player, even at the end of the game

Yes, a substitution needed to be made, but that was the wrong one. Lemina in for Tadic, Boufal or Davis would have retained command of the midfield. As it was, he weakened the midfield and our attacking options, forcing us to sit deeper and allowing Watford's big lumps onto our defence. Even with Yoshida added in defence, we still had the threat Watford had at set pieces to contend with, so control of the midfield was needed to keep our high line to prevent them getting corners and also free kicks close to our penalty area.
And when we had to defend the long throws corners and free kicks???

He had to react to Watfords changes, they didn't score and we won. Job done. If you were watching the manager he was signalling for Tadic to push up alongside Long to give us 2 up front.

Even top team come under the cosh when 1 up in cup games

If we could actually finish even 50% of our chances we would have been 3-0 up by that point - the bloke, for all the obvious mistakes he's made cant do much about that ineptitude in front of goal. Let's hope Carillo hits the ground running.

I imagine he felt that as we have missed so many chances we're going to get done with an equaliser and decided to tighten up, especially given the subs they had made. In this instance, possibly not the wrong call and we won at the end of the day.

When he has done it at other times this season it has been more infuriating than yesterday. Brighton away is still one that really bugs me

I think MP2 got it CORRECT today.

I had a go at him when he didn't change things against burnley, hull and other sides when the opposition changed their tactics.

Even 2 weeks ago against watford he should have gone to 3 at the back in the 2nd half when they went route 1 with deeney.

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.

If any Saints was watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

He learnt from his mistake he made 2 weeks by not going to 3 at the back.

Give credit to MP2 today he saw the opposition had changed their tactics and REACTED.

Thanks SJ. Its getting tiring reading how MP made a mistake with this sub or that. Its very easy with 20:20 hindsight to know what to do. Although this sub seemed to have a negative impact, it helped get the job done. If he hadn't made it and they scored you can bet your bottom dollar the same fans moaning on here about that swap, would be moaning at him for not bringing a defender on and not learning his lesson of two weeks ago.

Can see both sides of the argument to be fair. I was at the game and you're right he did weaken the midfield in order to strengthen the defence, but he was reacting to Watfords subs. It did kill our forward momentum, but shored us up at the back. We did still make chances after the sub, if Shanes ball to Guido is just a little bit better, he probably scores and we can all relax. That said, if their lump heads on target at the end, it's probably going to a replay. Swings and roundabouts, fine margins, but ultimately we did win.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

If we could actually finish even 50% of our chances we would have been 3-0 up by that point - the bloke, for all the obvious mistakes he's made cant do much about that ineptitude in front of goal.

if we had top draw attackers that put the ball in the back of the net, then all the criticism of tactics and substitutions just wouldn't exist...but we simply don't that quality in the final third. Havent had it for a long time now...

The great thing about a football forum is that it is such a useful platform for intelligent debate.

I suppose it's inevitable that some posters haven't got the hang of it yet and haven't got past writing gibberish.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do you mean to match your own level of gibberish?

No agenda from me, just asking why you seem to believe that only your own opinions matter in a DEBATE?

if we had top draw attackers that put the ball in the back of the net, then all the criticism of tactics and substitutions just wouldn't exist...but we simply don't that quality in the final third. Havent had it for a long time now...

this, we have had the opportunities to kill a lot of games off this season, but we squander too many chances .......if we could fix this, then we would be in top half of the table .

people have been calling for 3 at the back all season and when he makes that change in the second half he forgets criticised. Strange bunch you folk.

Seemed to me that he reacted to the aerial assault that was expected late on and we coped well. Had we done that away we might have had 3 points.

Decent enough performance, great result, next round, Job done.

Still lack some pace so here’s hoping for Promes. Well done saints, well done MP.

Do you mean to match your own level of gibberish?

No agenda from me, just asking why you seem to believe that only your own opinions matter in a DEBATE?

I was referring to our friend Larry.

I respect anyone's opinion, but it's clear that some posters only want to be critical and can't recognise improvement.

people have been calling for 3 at the back all season and when he makes that change in the second half he forgets criticised. Strange bunch you folk.

Seemed to me that he reacted to the aerial assault that was expected late on and we coped well. Had we done that away we might have had 3 points.

Still lack some pace so here’s hoping for Promes. Well done saints, well done MP.

I think 3 at the back is a good option. It's a problem when it becomes 5 and the 2 holding midfielders get deeper and deeper.

Any first impressions on Carrillo?
Wasn't really on for long enough to judge. Might have had one chance but couldn't control a ball put through to him. That's not being critical - it was a difficult ball and hit hard.

You might not like the tactics but they worked and we won

However I would like to know why the manager did not bring on Lemina instead of Yoshi perhaps there was concern if Pied was playing at LB

Watford were going direct with three big strikers. We needed extra cover at CB rather than in midfield, so despite all the criticism I thought it was a sensible move. But I'd agree he might have considered Lemina for Davis.

Hmmm - for them to launch this aerial assault they would have had to assert some control over the game which until THAT substitution they never looked like doing. We got away with yesterday but losing the initiative was not a clever move.

Hmmm - for them to launch this aerial assault they would have had to assert some control over the game which until THAT substitution they never looked like doing. We got away with yesterday but losing the initiative was not a clever move.
to launch an aerial assault you don't need too much control, you just need to lift the ball high into the penalty area, whether it be by throw in corner or free kick, or just lump it up there. When Watford came to us at the start of the season their midfield totally destroyed us.

I'm not advocating MP as a good manager, but we have gone past the point of no return this season.The club buying the forward who seems to have been the managers choice surely says he is here to stay and so we have to get behind him and the team. The players seem to be giving him their backing by the performances recently. If they wanted him gone they had their chance against Spurs.

Tadic is he had the final ball or could finish would be worth £50m

And when we had to defend the long throws corners and free kicks???

He had to react to Watfords changes, they didn't score and we won. Job done. If you were watching the manager he was signalling for Tadic to push up alongside Long to give us 2 up front.

Even top team come under the cosh when 1 up in cup games

The best form of defence is attack. No doubt you have heard of that, haven't you? Command the midfield and you keep them boxed in their own half. In the event we got the result, but were mighty lucky in my opinion.

The best form of defence is attack. No doubt you have heard of that, haven't you? Command the midfield and you keep them boxed in their own half. In the event we got the result, but were mighty lucky in my opinion.
yep that's why we win the league season on season. You just command the midfield and get the result. Of course our players in midfield are so much better than theirs as was shown when they came to ours at the start if the season

Watford were also 'mighty lucky' not to be 2 or 3 goals down after 60 minutes

yep that's why we win the league season on season. You just command the midfield and get the result. Of course our players in midfield are so much better than theirs as was shown when they came to ours at the start if the season

Agreed. Command the midfiled and control the match by keeping possession and having options to dictate play from the middle of the park, instead of in your defensive third.

Our potential midfield of Lemina, Hojbjerg and Romeu is certainly better than anything they have.

Citing the earlier Watford victory isn't particularly relevant for several reasons. They sat in 4th at the time, confidence high, whereas our poor form had run on from the end of last season under Puel. A couple of good but soft goals from Watford and only one shot on goal very late in the match, from our right back.

An inexperienced Stephens as CB, a lightweight midfield comprising Romeu, Davis, Boufal, Ward-rowse, Tadic, Redmond with Gabbiadini up top.

Several of those and our bench players for that match had either improved or gone backwards since. For example, Austin only came on late, but showed in future matches why it was silly not to have played him earlier. Boufal has improved since, as has Ward-Prowse and Tadic. Redmond went in the other direction, as has Davis to a certain extent.

Watford like us are now much further down the league and they have a new manager and several injuries. So not really much point in comparing this match with that one.

Watford were also 'mighty lucky' not to be 2 or 3 goals down after 60 minutes

But we weren't the 2 or 3 goals ahead. If I were the Watford manager, there is nothing I would like more than the invitation to pile forward and attack our rearguard that we offered them by weakening our midfield and taking off one of our most creative players to do so.

Don’t post very often on here, but was at the game yesterday.

The Boufal change killed the game for us and MP put us unnecessarily under additional pressure, as we lost our main attacking threat. Thought both Boufal and Tadic were good at making things happen. As others have said we were doing well up until that point and could of won by three on another day, as Watford were a physical but poor side.

Watford were always going to lump it forward, especially towards the end, so some credit should be given to MP for actually reacting for once to a change in the opposition’s tactics. Bringing Yoshida on wasn’t the problem IMO, but taking Boufal off was. As others have said Cedric was struggling, so why not take him off? JWP can play as an emergency wing back if we wanted to bring Yoshida on and go with three at the back. Someone like Stephen Davis who was far less effective could have been sacrificed within the more defensive set up and left our attacking threat in place.

Very happy to get a rare victory and make the next round of the cup.

Not one for manager bashing, as Branfoot lives long in your memory, but I think MP’s poor decision making is really hurting a team which should be doing much better. Need to get behind the lads and hope for the best for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the criticism was bringing Yoshida on. The real criticism was taking Boufal off. Davis was a passenger by then and Tadic had faded. Both needed replacing. Leaving Boufal on and putting Lamina on with Hojbjerg and Romeu would have made it more difficult for Watford. Sending Carillo on was also positive but would have given Watford more problems if done earlier and Boufal had not been taken off.

To relieve the long ball siege there needs to be an upfront outlet and threat. Long worked his socks off and was going strongly at the end, the same couldn't be said for Davis who was just bypassed because of his lack of pace, strength and not least his ability to stay out of the physical stuff.

For the critics of Long, he did well at full stretch to get on the end of Bertrand's free kick and get a rebound off the keeper which was put in by Stephens. A bloody good job he did as it was the only goal we scored. Without his effort we wouldn't have won. He had a couple of shots but none were clear chances. All in all he was one of our better performers.

Agreed. Command the midfiled and control the match by keeping possession and having options to dictate play from the middle of the park, instead of in your defensive third.

Our potential midfield of Lemina, Hojbjerg and Romeu is certainly better than anything they have.

Citing the earlier Watford victory isn't particularly relevant for several reasons. They sat in 4th at the time, confidence high, whereas our poor form had run on from the end of last season under Puel. A couple of good but soft goals from Watford and only one shot on goal very late in the match, from our right back.

An inexperienced Stephens as CB, a lightweight midfield comprising Romeu, Davis, Boufal, Ward-rowse, Tadic, Redmond with Gabbiadini up top.

Several of those and our bench players for that match had either improved or gone backwards since. For example, Austin only came on late, but showed in future matches why it was silly not to have played him earlier. Boufal has improved since, as has Ward-Prowse and Tadic. Redmond went in the other direction, as has Davis to a certain extent.

Watford like us are now much further down the league and they have a new manager and several injuries. So not really much point in comparing this match with that one.

their midfield was mobile and decent yesterday. However good our midfiled would have been, it wouldn't have stopped the long balls. Hence we needed Yoshida. Whether taking off Boufal was the right one, that is another argument, but it could only be him or Tadic at that stage

their midfield was mobile and decent yesterday. However good our midfiled would have been, it wouldn't have stopped the long balls. Hence we needed Yoshida. Whether taking off Boufal was the right one, that is another argument, but it could only be him or Tadic at that stage

Davis was the first one that should have come off. He was a peripheral figure and when the long ball started was totally physically unsuited and had no influence on the game except to leave us a man short. Tadic had faded and should have been hooked at the same time, leaving Boufal on. Yoshida wasn't a mistake , taking Boufal off was. Carillo on was sensible but personally I thought Lamina and at the same time as Yoshida, leaving until the last ten minutes under siege was stupid and leaving Davis on, or even starting him was worse.

Felt the ref yesterday was horrendous - Quite easily could have given pens for the challenges on Long & Cedric - Both Watford players nowhere near the ball and took both out. The shove in the back on Boufal just summed up his performance.

As many have stated, taking Boufal off was the wrong call - We were all over them because we had width!

Davis was the first one that should have come off. He was a peripheral figure and when the long ball started was totally physically unsuited and had no influence on the game except to leave us a man short. Tadic had faded and should have been hooked at the same time, leaving Boufal on. Yoshida wasn't a mistake , taking Boufal off was. Carillo on was sensible but personally I thought Lamina and at the same time as Yoshida, leaving until the last ten minutes under siege was stupid and leaving Davis on, or even starting him was worse.
Fair points. Yep, going back 5 was the right decision IMO but agree that there is a debate as to who should have come off. Agree that Davis was a better candidate for removal than Boufal. (Although, I think some people are suggesting that going with a back 5 was the wrong decision regardless of who was taken off)

I'd also have bought on Lemina instead of Carrillo, given Carrillo effectively played in Lemina's natural position anyway. I suspect Carrillo got some game time simply to welcome our new signing rather than it being the most logical substitution (IMO)

Edited by trousers

Just back from the game, a win, but feels like a defeat. Strange. Bizarre subs and tactics from the manager, and how Watford didn't score at the end I'll never know.

And i still can't understand any of the managers post match interview. Just get rid now

This is absolute horses**t. They didn't score because they didn't have an effort on target, in fact only one all game. If you hate the manager and want him gone, then say so, but people who want us to lose so he gets the sack are starting to really wind me up.

I was at the game, and agree far more with Shroppie and Trousers than our worldwide internet fanbase!

This is absolute horses**t. They didn't score because they didn't have an effort on target, in fact only one all game. If you hate the manager and want him gone, then say so, but people who want us to lose so he gets the sack are starting to really wind me up.

I was at the game, and agree far more with Shroppie and Trousers than our worldwide internet fanbase!

Thank you sir/ma'am

:toppa:

I don't think the criticism was bringing Yoshida on. The real criticism was taking Boufal off. Davis was a passenger by then and Tadic had faded. Both needed replacing. Leaving Boufal on and putting Lamina on with Hojbjerg and Romeu would have made it more difficult for Watford. Sending Carillo on was also positive but would have given Watford more problems if done earlier and Boufal had not been taken off.

To relieve the long ball siege there needs to be an upfront outlet and threat. Long worked his socks off and was going strongly at the end, the same couldn't be said for Davis who was just bypassed because of his lack of pace, strength and not least his ability to stay out of the physical stuff.

For the critics of Long, he did well at full stretch to get on the end of Bertrand's free kick and get a rebound off the keeper which was put in by Stephens. A bloody good job he did as it was the only goal we scored. Without his effort we wouldn't have won. He had a couple of shots but none were clear chances. All in all he was one of our better performers.

I'm pleased that Long gets some credit. I get fed up hearing how awful Long is and how could he possibly be chosen over Gabby. Yes, he doesn't score enough, but he adds pace and a whole hearted attitude which is lacking elsewhere in our team. And as the OP says, he provides a speedy outlet and threat to relieve our team. The reason Obafemi was brought on last week against Spurs was they had realised that they could squeeze our team by pushing up as they had no fear of a ball over the top, so our MP put on the only true pacey player available to him. We missed Long and this is why he is so very important to the team.

Sometimes his other contributions, such as the assists against Watford away only seemed to receive a cursory acknowledgement. Both goals demonstrated some real quality. I personally feel that he is more effective away from home with more space to run into, but he still contributes at home too.

I already see proposed teams for the Brighton game in other threads and his name isn't nominated. He'd certainly be my preference on Wednesday.

I didn't watch the game and have so far only had all the comments on here to go on. And it's got me thinking...

Earlier in the season, Man U came to SMS and walked away with a 1-0 win after they took off an attacking player and went ultra defensive to counter our late onslaught. I don't seem to remember many people criticising Mourinho and calling him things like a tactically inept clown after that.

I've been critical of Pellegrino at times this season, but credit where it's due. He recognised the change in the opposition tactics and adapted his own to defend it. If he hadn't made he change and Watford had got back in it, the very same people having a go at him now would still be having a go at him but for a different reason.

I didn't watch the game and have so far only had all the comments on here to go on. And it's got me thinking...

Earlier in the season, Man U came to SMS and walked away with a 1-0 win after they took off an attacking player and went ultra defensive to counter our late onslaught. I don't seem to remember many people criticising Mourinho and calling him things like a tactically inept clown after that.

I've been critical of Pellegrino at times this season, but credit where it's due. He recognised the change in the opposition tactics and adapted his own to defend it. If he hadn't made he change and Watford had got back in it, the very same people having a go at him now would still be having a go at him but for a different reason.

You obv didn't see it, we were in control until WE changed it then let them into the game

You obv didn't see it, we were in control until WE changed it then let them into the game
My view of it was that we stayed pretty well in control except for the last few minutes. Maybe that was because we had an extra defender. We'll never know what would have happened if we'd kept it the same, or brought on an attacking player.

But if we'd gone all out attack and left ourselves open at the back, we'd probably have just the same critics on here saying MP should have reacted better to them bringing on big forwards.

As Bexy said, some will criticise him whatever he does.

Edited by Shroppie

Are all your posts like this? Perhaps you could share some opinions, suggestions or something?

But he is correct , so why slate him for doing so, no difference that the same 50 or so posters on here slate the manager week in week out.

some of you really need to look at yourselves, look at the facts, the same posters hounded puel out, now look at him,,, is he really a sh\1te manager? sitting pretty in 7th. i'd have some of that.

I was at the game yesterday, and thought the boys did ok. all i can say is you guys need to leave the fifa 18 and football manager alone.

But he is correct , so why slate him for doing so, no difference that the same 50 or so posters on here slate the manager week in week out.

some of you really need to look at yourselves, look at the facts, the same posters hounded puel out, now look at him,,, is he really a sh\1te manager? sitting pretty in 7th. i'd have some of that.

I was at the game yesterday, and thought the boys did ok. all i can say is you guys need to leave the fifa 18 and football manager alone.

Hounded him out dont be a drama queen. A few fans on a message board posted and a couple booed at another defeat against Stoke thats not hounding anyone.

Leicester squad is far superior to ours...they even sacked a manager season after winning the Prem. Puel is a decent manager he has gone about time some of you stopped crying about it.

Well said.

When you have 2 small full backs like we had you need 3 big defenders that wasnt what was wrong. Cedric was limping for 20 minutes yet left on why?

Davis should have gone off not Boufal that took away pace and width.

In the hat good stuff winning breeds confidence was why I liked Pardew and his stance on JPT.

Hounded him out dont be a drama queen. A few fans on a message board posted and a couple booed at another defeat against Stoke thats not hounding anyone.

Leicester squad is far superior to ours...they even sacked a manager season after winning the Prem. Puel is a decent manager he has gone about time some of you stopped crying about it.

Drama queen? And I can guarantee I never cried about any manager leaving, sacked or otherwise, Supported the club since 1968 and also read lot of crap on here , some of the posters here might want to apply for the next managerial position, So tell me Ron, who do you want to be manager, honestly!!

Drama queen? And I can guarantee I never cried about any manager leaving, sacked or otherwise, Supported the club since 1968 and also read lot of crap on here , some of the posters here might want to apply for the next managerial position, So tell me Ron, who do you want to be manager, honestly!!
I beat you 1963 my first game first away 67 watching us beat skates 5-2.

I was talking about Rowett back in December. Not going to happen now so I have always liked Erwin Koeman and thought he was the tactics man not as tainted as Ronald.

We shouldn't have appointed Puel and gone for Pellegrini when we had chance.