Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

I guess like the Fulham game in the last round, we've managed to scrape a win in too unconvincing a fashion to actually take any confidence from it.

And lost our only fit left back into the bargain. So that's super.

Nice to be in hat, but midweek against Brighton is the game that really matters. Fail to win that, and the manager must go.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Moan at a win

Ah, OK.....Well, I posted earlier that I was disgusted at this win, and that it felt weird. That's not being fickle, it was a disgusting display of managership. Obviously I'll take the win because I am a fan. The nature of the win, however was deplorable. Hope that clears things up.

Good win and great to be in the cup despite the manager's utter negativity. It was a half baked Watford team - not Barcelona - but MP yet again shut up shop and invited pressure that didn't previously exist.

Relegation is a coin toss with this guy in charge, he has absolutely no idea about seizing the initiative.

Moan at a win

Ffs read what people are writing. We won in spite of the managers woeful decision making. To have Boufal come off and Yoshi come on when we were in the front foot was ludicrous. Fair enough bring Yoshi on, go 3-5-2 but don’t sacrifice our creative player. Later on he gives Carillo is debut but took off Tadic and Left Long on. With Bouf and Tads (and Bertie, and also Cedric struggling) who is going to feed the big man crosses, all it did was put us under more pressure.

A good manager would have gone 3-5-2, Yoshi to CB, struggling Cedric off as a precaution, Stephens to RB/RWB. Boufal up top with Long and then Long off for Carillo. It’s not rocket surgery.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Moan at a win

Nothing in that display to suggest we will escape relegation. The manager keeps sticking to the same bizarre tactics that has got us to 3rd from bottom in the prem. An under strength poor Watford side and yet we are holding on as if we were playing Man C away.

Thickle... No, Realistic....Yes.

Does Pellegrino learn nothing at all from playing other teams? Has his memory of the last time we played Watford and how we dropped two points against them already diminished? They are a big physical team and we are weak at set pieces defensively, so what a brilliant idea it was to take off an attacking forward player when we were still dominating the match, and replace him with a defender. If any substitution needed to be made at all, it should have been to bring on Lemina, to maintain dominance of the midfield.

As it was, unsurprisingly Watford couldn't believe their luck that in a Cup match, they were invited to press forward in search of an equaliser when only a goal behind.

Despite the upward trajectory we have gained finally from a decent draw against Spurs and a cup win, this tactical ineptitude still has me in the Pellegrino out camp.

Seems to be a lot of negative posts on this board in general .

Listen mate, or 'pal' if you would prefer. We have been S H I T all season, and that was on top of a thoroughly uninspiring last season. We are playing crap, uninspiring football, we have a manager who appears to be utterly incapable of reading a game and - guess what - people are ****ing sick of it and hence post negatively about it. IF we looked even remotely like we were getting the best out of what we had and we were remotely entertaining I'm sure there would be a lot less negativity on this board.

Seems to be a lot of negative posts on this board in general .

The idea is to comment on the game, the players, the club...

You've only commented on the forum comments.

I know I'm commenting on your comment about the comments, but I often do comment about the game and so on, so I'm curious as to when you might also comment on the game/players/club etc.

Do commence!

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good to win but christ, Pellegrino at it again with his disastrous defensive tactics.

I really can understand how the tactics were disastrous if we actually won you could have said that if we had drawn or lost.

Keeping a slender lead is quite common I would have thought but our players recently have not been able to do it surely this will give them confidence.

It is not as though the attack is prolific and likely to score goals in the last twenty minutes or at anytime really despite having chances

In the last two games no attacking player has scored and although it would be great if we had great attacking players who scored regularly but we don't so at the moment keeping it tight is probably a reasonably good tactic to win or draw games.

But of course if we had players like Mane Lallana Lambert and Pelle playing I doubt we would be in the position we are now and I doubt it is not going to get better in the short term even with a new manager especially as we had problems last season under Puel

Everything good we do is in spite of that moron. His Yoshida substitution had to be among the most baffling changes I've ever seen.

That sub said it all about his attitude really. With a record signing striker sitting on the bench that the crowd were waiting to welcome and in a relatively low pressure cup game, 99.9% of managers would be thinking it was a great chance to be positive to get Carrillo on for half an hour to try and seal the game and give everyone a much needed boost. But not MP!

A very sensible substation, if it's the 85th minute and you're 1-0 up at home to Man City.

But at home to an out of form under strength Watford with 20 minutes left?! My god. It's the sort of move that DESERVES to concede a goal. It's bad enough seeing other clubs do that, far, far too many cowardly negative managers around.

Especially after their late equaliser last time (however controversial it was).

Nothing in that display to suggest we will escape relegation. The manager keeps sticking to the same bizarre tactics that has got us to 3rd from bottom in the prem. An under strength poor Watford side and yet we are holding on as if we were playing Man C away.

Thickle... No, Realistic....Yes.

Oh come on mate, we completely outplayed them and with better finishing would have been 3-0 up easy at half time. Its getting ridiculous now.

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank god for that, someone who actually saw it. I didn't and so have refrained from comment. Very pleased you thought it was a decent performance.

He will do the same mid week as well. Not expecting many highlights during that game, with two teams sitting back. Has draw written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Except Chris Houghton knows how to manage. Worried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank god for that, someone who actually saw it. I didn't and so have refrained from comment. Very pleased you thought it was a decent performance.

Merrington and Blackmore have made their minds up. Dave was at his miserable best. It is very telling from the comments that those who listened to the commentary could not escape misery dave's opinions... Didn't see, but going to slate the win anyway... Jokers.

out of interest was there a reaction from the fans when he made that change ?

Just general scratching of the head and utter bemusement.

Many of us realise that we're stuck with the current buffoon so what's the point?