Saints 1 Watford 0 - We Limp On

St Chalet

This was one of the most boring, soul destroying experiences I've ever had at St Mary's. Turgid, uninspiring rubbish. Why do we have to suffer this fool of a manager any longer.

Going defensive at 60mins when we were on the offensive and taking off our best player defies any sort of football logic. Crikey even Blackmore screwed up enough bottle to ask the Clown the question and of course the answer was gibberish.

This was one of the most boring, soul destroying experiences I've ever had at St Mary's. Turgid, uninspiring rubbish. Why do we have to suffer this fool of a manager any longer.

Going defensive at 60mins when we were on the offensive and taking off our best player defies any sort of football logic. Crikey even Blackmore screwed up enough bottle to ask the Clown the question and of course the answer was gibberish.

This. We’ve got a decent side being stifled by an idiot in the dugout. Still, fans like Shroppie are happy so that’s all that matters. We definitely won in spite of the manager today. If Watford has played a proper side we’d have drawn or lost.

I am glad the thread title captured my feeling at least.

How the f**k anyone can be happy with that performance and result, Ill never know...

LOL, of course you can be happy with the result - it was a WIN ffs. Performance is another matter entirely.

Merrington and Blackmore have made their minds up. Dave was at his miserable best. It is very telling from the comments that those who listened to the commentary could not escape misery dave's opinions... Didn't see, but going to slate the win anyway... Jokers.

That would appear to be the case (....although I'm obviously making an assumption about Merrington there, but I know what he's like).

So Pellegrino tries to be proactive and is criticized. He used his plan B.

He was reactive to what we expected.

The guy can’t win at the moment.

But win he did.

Well done Pelligrino.

Exactly. There are lots on here who only have an agenda of getting rid of the manager. Now I've been critical of him too, but today he did nothing wrong, which is a step in the right direction!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly. There are lots on here who only have an agenda of getting rid of the manager. Now I've been critical of him too, but today he did nothing wrong, which is a step in the right direction!

What about the people who went to the game but disagree with you. Do they have an agenda?

Bizarre then that other people who were there felt we were poor and that the subs were bizarre. It's almost like people can have different opinions. Fancy that!

No. All - every single one - posts early on we’re moaning, based entirely upon Merrington’s view. And Nerrington does have some odd views from time to time.. Almost all of the posts from people actually at the game were positive.

Go figure.

No. All - every single one - posts early on we’re moaning, based entirely upon Merrington’s view. And Nerrington does have some odd views from time to time.. Almost all of the posts from people actually at the game were positive.

Go figure.

Almost all of the posts from people at the game have been positive? Eh? And how do you know people were not posting after leaving the ground?

So Pellegrino tries to be proactive and is criticized. He used his plan B.

He was reactive to what we expected.

The guy can’t win at the moment.

But win he did.

Well done Pelligrino.

Do you go to games wearing a little skirt and Pom poms? Proper little cheerleader aren't you pal.

Ffs read what people are writing. We won in spite of the managers woeful decision making. To have Boufal come off and Yoshi come on when we were in the front foot was ludicrous. Fair enough bring Yoshi on, go 3-5-2 but don’t sacrifice our creative player. Later on he gives Carillo is debut but took off Tadic and Left Long on. With Bouf and Tads (and Bertie, and also Cedric struggling) who is going to feed the big man crosses, all it did was put us under more pressure.

A good manager would have gone 3-5-2, Yoshi to CB, struggling Cedric off as a precaution, Stephens to RB/RWB. Boufal up top with Long and then Long off for Carillo. It’s not rocket surgery.

I don't know much about rocket surgery, but I'm interested to know who would have been the 3 if you move Stephens to RB/RWB ? There were no other center halves on the bench.

While I don't necessarily agree with the Boufal substitution, I can understand the logic that the manager wanted some additional height for the inevitable direct bombardment towards the end of the match. It also allowed us to play two up front shortly after. I quite like the idea of Long and Carrillo up front as one is strong in the air and finisher, the other has pace and movement. But it was a strange moment, although talking to my son who went to the game, he didn't think it was as stupid as Dave Merrington did.

Hull City in the next round please. I'd like to welcome back Nigel.

Just back from the game.

Agree with Shroppie.... we played well and were unlucky not to go 2 or 3 up.

I've been critical of Pellegrino's negative tactics in the past but I felt reinforcing our defence with a third CB was actually warranted today as their No.33 was starting to cause us problems, Stephens in particular was struggling to contain him.

All in all a decent, comfortable performance and never had that usual sinking feeling that the opposition was going to score (yes, they came close at the end)

Shane Long deserves to start ahead of Gabbi IMO. He wins so many aerial balls and seemingly lost causes. Something Gabbi simply doesn't do.

My one negative observation is Carello played more as a midfielder when he came in rather than up top. I'd have moved Long out wide and put Carrillo up top - that after all is why we've bought him.

Anyway, a satisfying performance and result at the end of the day.

One of the major criticisms of the manager has been his inability to adjust tactics when the other team makes a sub or change.

Today Okaka comes on, Watford basically play 4 up front for the last half hour, we’ve got a RB at LB - so the manager makes a change to bring on an extra defender to counter that and.... gets slaughtered.

I’m sure he’d love to leave the defence to cope and make a more attacking change, but when you’ve got 3 centre backs who can’t head anything, perhaps strength in numbers is the best tactic.

And if we had any sort of composure in the final third for that last 20mins, we’d have picked them off at ease.

This

There's been about 6 posts from people who clearly went to the game. About half expressed frustration at the substitutions which is what others were complaining about.

Complaining about a single sub doesn't make for a negative post about our general play.

P.S I went, so that's 7 positive reports ;)

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

Thank, just thank you.

Board made their gamble and it has not worked - they have to act now and get rid or be 100% responsible for the consequences - relegation. Simple sack MoPe or the whole board (and clown of course) if we get relegated.

Sack the whole board? You've forgotten how we nearly ended up being bought by the hedge fund that nearly destroyed Coventry by selling their ground.

Just back from the game, a win, but feels like a defeat. Strange. Bizarre subs and tactics from the manager, and how Watford didn't score at the end I'll never know.

And i still can't understand any of the managers post match interview. Just get rid now

Thanks for your perspective davefoggy.

I think MP2 got it CORRECT today.

I had a go at him when he didn't change things against burnley, hull and other sides when the opposition changed their tactics.

Even 2 weeks ago against watford he should have gone to 3 at the back in the 2nd half when they went route 1 with deeney.

He made a mistake that day by not doing that.

If any Saints was watching today, watford had just brought on okaka and pereyna and were playing 3 LUMPS up front against out 2 CBs.

He learnt from his mistake he made 2 weeks by not going to 3 at the back.

Give credit to MP2 today he saw the opposition had changed their tactics and REACTED.

Hardly anyone has made negative points about our general play.

Correct. We were ok/quite good first half and most of the second. Not great but ok/quite good. Negative numbnuts did his best to undo that ok-to-quite goodness by returning to type with 20 minutes to go. Bit like the away game at Watford and, er, just about every other game we've led in this season except Everton (who were managed by the utterly 1 star David Unsworth at the time so this oasis in the vast desert of tedious paceless non-expansive cr@p has to be viewed in context anyway). That's the bit that people are quite justifiably being negative about.

I seriously can't believe the tone of comments on here. I was actually at the match. Doubt many of the critics were.

We played well. Could have scored more. Kept positive until the last few minutes. Don't say we we're defensive and invited them on, because that is total b0llocks. In fact the total b0llocks that certain posters have to spout after every game.

And sensible subs. No complaints today. We won, FFS. Really worry about whether half the posters on here are actually Saints fans. Get behind the team and stop the ridiculous whinging!

UTS!

I think you must have been at a different game today mate

You can thank me for my perspective too if you want :)
Just trying to counter the false narrative that everyone who went to the game is rabidly positive about all aspects of the game. It sounds to me like many concurred with the judgement of the radio commentators and were frustrated that certain tactical weaknesses remain. I'm glad that others were happy just to get the win though. Follow it up with a convincing win against Brighton and I may just agree.

Just got back. Everyone moaning about the manager.

We had 3 balls fizzed across the goal line just needing a tap in from Cedric x 2 and Long. Hojberg hit a screamer which hit the post. Give Pellegrino his due. He played a strong team (which might come back to bite us on Wednesday) and it's only fair to say his initial tactics gave us the chance to easily win 4-0 but for our lack of finishing.

Halfwat into the second half Watford brought on a refrigerator up front and I think there's a chance that Stephens would have been outmuscled, so I can see the logic in Maya coming on. By taking Boufal off, one of our best and most creative players is now fit and available for Wednesday. It was a nervy last few minutes when we sat back but we won so for me Pellegrino gets credit for the overall super performance. Pellegrino is very active and vocal on the touchline and the players are listening to him.

Not much to say about Guido. He had about 9 minutes but no real chances. We floated loads of crosses in during the first half which Long was never going to get on the end of so I think Guido would have enjoyed those.

#prayforbertie

UTS!

Well said Sir spot on

I can see what Pellegrino's trying to achieve which is more than I could say earlier in the season. We've got 3 games this week - 2 of them absolutely vital - and he was trying to win the game to give the team confidence while keeping players fresh for later in the week and ease a couple of players into match fitness.

Mission accomplished.

Looks like we're stuck with him so let's support the win and hope that the next couple of games go according to plan.

I've read the posts on here and I was at the game. The manager is a prat. The substitution was a nonsense. Initially we thought Soares who had taken some hefty knocks would come off and be replaced by Stephens with Yoshida at the back. Davis was a peripheral figure for most of the game and certainly not someone for a backs to the wall half hour and could have gone off instead of Boufal who was a threat all game. Hojbjerg and Romeu worked their socks off, Pied is not a left back but did a reasonable job. Long gave it everything and kept Watford occupied, including getting the touch that rebounded off the keeper for the goal.

The manager only had two substitutes due to Bertrand's injury but by keeping Davis on removed a threat to Watford, didn't help us at all and effectively surrendered the last twenty five minutes to Watford. I was at that end of the Itchen and it wasn't pretty and very much self inflicted, we were just hanging on.

Bringing on Carillo was a reasonable move but not so late. Tadic was ineffective by this time but Boufal had been playing well. It ended up with Long up front sometimes with Tadic but when Carillo came on he was forced to drop deep. He didn't really get in the game, had a couple of runs and a header, but we relied completely on Long to relieve the pressure. As happened in previous games we backed off too much. A better move might have been Lamina to reinforce the midfield leaving Boufal on with Long taking off Tadic and Davis..

Pellegrino tries to stick to our own shape when opposition change theirs, we lose. People criticise him for not reacting.

Pellegrino tries to make a positive change and brings off a midfielder for a striker, we let a goal in. People criticise him for naivety.

Pellegrino changes our shape when the opposition change theirs, we win. People still criticise him for making a negative change.

I'm really not his biggest fan, but at this point he can't win.

One of the major criticisms of the manager has been his inability to adjust tactics when the other team makes a sub or change.

Today Okaka comes on, Watford basically play 4 up front for the last half hour, we’ve got a RB at LB - so the manager makes a change to bring on an extra defender to counter that and.... gets slaughtered.

I’m sure he’d love to leave the defence to cope and make a more attacking change, but when you’ve got 3 centre backs who can’t head anything, perhaps strength in numbers is the best tactic.

And if we had any sort of composure in the final third for that last 20mins, we’d have picked them off at ease.

Also agree with this, but sadly it seems it’s easier to be negative even when we win and play well. Oh well on to Wednesday and hopefully the same result!

Pellegrino tries to stick to our own shape when opposition change theirs, we lose. People criticise him for not reacting.

Pellegrino tries to make a positive change and brings off a midfielder for a striker, we let a goal in. People criticise him for naivety.

Pellegrino changes our shape when the opposition change theirs, we win. People still criticise him for making a negative change.

I'm really not his biggest fan, but at this point he can't win.

Patently nonsense. If he had taken off soares who was struggling with an injury and replaced him with Yoshida and then either Tadic or long off for the new guy then there would have been very little comment. When we continually invite pressure onto us and then concede goals, lose and draw games from winning positions consistently then you can see why people get frustrated. Pellegrino could "win" as you out it by encouraging the team to keep the pressure up and go for a second or third goal rather than sitting back and trying to protect a slender lead which we invariably lose more often than not.