Strikers for 18/19

Dusic

yeah that's what I thought San Marino, Moldova, Malta etc etc.

Not saying he wouldn't be a decent addition to the squad but his goal scoring record isn't all that really.

Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, etc....

Clearly a player that performes against proper opposition.

Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, etc....

Clearly a player that performes against proper opposition.

Belguim was six years ago Switzerland four years ago generally his international goals have been against minnows. I'm all for giving him ago, if he is available, but anyone expecting a goal machine is probably going to be disappointed.

Belguim was six years ago Switzerland four years ago generally his international goals have been against minnows. I'm all for giving him ago, if he is available, but anyone expecting a goal machine is probably going to be disappointed.

You're cherry-picking. Moldova and San Marino were just as long ago. I just don't agree with the notion his goals generally have come against minnows. Seven of good international goals have come against minnows (San Marino, Moldova, Lithuania & Malta) the rest a against at least half decent opposition.

His goalscoring record for England is pretty good considering he was a sub for some of those appearances and/or playing as a winger.

If Welbeck's record was better we wouldn't have a chance of getting him. He's a decent but not world-class striker, the best we could hope for as a well-established international (English to boot). Of course it would be great to unearth another Mane, but the odds are slim on that.

Harry Kane just got the golden boot for scoring against Tunisia and Panama !

I guess that makes him cr@p as well ???

If he ONLY scored against Panama and Tunisia then yes, he would be. The difference being Kane has just scored 30 Premier League goals, whereas Welbeck scored 5 and half of them were against our shower of sh*te.

Not sure Wellbeck improves us, if you can't score regularly for Arsenal and Utd then he's hardly going to bang them in here.

I mean he's better than Long, but still 43 in 206 mainly for Utd and Arsenal, doesn't scream of a player a goal shy team needs, or at least a team that misses chances needs

He seems more like a Redknapp West Ham type signing of a few years ago, I'd prefer we went out and gambled more on someone that might score more goals than a 'proven' PL player who has proven he doesn't score regularly.

Wellbeck should have moved to a middle PL club when he left Utd, gone somewhere where he would have been a regular and then he might have kicked on to being a good striker.

H's also injury prone, he has only managed 80 games in 4 years for Arsenal.

Not sure Wellbeck improves us, if you can't score regularly for Arsenal and Utd then he's hardly going to bang them in here.

I mean he's better than Long, but still 43 in 206 mainly for Utd and Arsenal, doesn't scream of a player a goal shy team needs, or at least a team that misses chances needs

He seems more like a Redknapp West Ham type signing of a few years ago, I'd prefer we went out and gambled more on someone that might score more goals than a 'proven' PL player who has proven he doesn't score regularly.

Wellbeck should have moved to a middle PL club when he left Utd, gone somewhere where he would have been a regular and then he might have kicked on to being a good striker.

H's also injury prone, he has only managed 80 games in 4 years for Arsenal.

One thing is for sure, watch him mysteriously disappear from the England squad if he does sign for us.

Gomez would be a great signing. Scored 18 goals last season if I remember for celta. Valued at £23mil.

21 years old with a better than one in two goal scoring record. Nice. I have no idea how good this guy is, but at least he has some kind of track record for putting the ball in the onion bag. That is exactly the sort of stats I'd expect to see when we break our transfer record for a striker, not some 26 year old fella that has scored a goal every 4.5 games.

For a short term fix Fernando Lloriente could fit the bill. Okay he’s 33 but he’s surplus to requirements at Spurs, only a year left on his contract so available quite cheaply or on loan. His scoring record before joining spurs has been good everywhere he’s been. 6 foot 4 target man we need.

21 years old with a better than one in two goal scoring record. Nice. I have no idea how good this guy is, but at least he has some kind of track record for putting the ball in the onion bag. That is exactly the sort of stats I'd expect to see when we break our transfer record for a striker, not some 26 year old fella that has scored a goal every 4.5 games.

Looks like an absolute giant on YouTube, though his stats say he's only 6'1. Lots of headed goals.

For a short term fix Fernando Lloriente could fit the bill. Okay he’s 33 but he’s surplus to requirements at Spurs, only a year left on his contract so available quite cheaply or on loan. His scoring record before joining spurs has been good everywhere he’s been. 6 foot 4 target man we need.

Taken in isolation, I would agree with you. However, I fear he would take Gallagher's place in the squad and I'm one that wants SG to be part of our plans this season. If you guarantee me that SG stays even if Llorente comes, then I'm in.

However, from some pics I saw on Insta at lunchtime, we seem to be trying Forster out as a CF. Makes sense - not going to get many games in goal, and we could use his height up front.

The attacking midfield needs to be fixed or any striker is wasted. Gabbi and Austin have both shown they can score in the PL when given proper chances. The issue we have is with the Redmonds and Boufals of the world. We are woeful in winning the midfield and starting an attack. Hopefully Mo and Armstrong can change that, especially since Tadic is gone and was our only decent option. No striker in the world, not even Bale, is going to be effective when they have to drop near midfield to touch the ball, or when all they end up doing is making runs that never get passed too. Its way too easy to just say "its the strikers". Look at Derby, yes I know it was only a friendly so doesn't matter, but our mids never really got an attack going to get the strikers involved. Almost all of the time they were losing and just defending. Whatever that setup/scheme was I hope Hughes throws it directly in the trash.

Here is the list of PL top goal scorers. Only one player outside the top six netted more than 12 goals in the season and that was Vardy (with 20). The next best goal scorers from a non top six side was Glenn Murray and Marezh (with 12) I think that highlights just how hard it is for teams outside the top six to land a regular goal scorer and any player who can net you the magic 20 a season in the PL is probably out of a non top six price range.

http://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter/eng-premier-league-2017-2018/

Here is the list of PL top goal scorers. Only one player outside the top six netted more than 12 goals in the season and that was Vardy (with 20). The next best goal scorers from a non top six side was Glenn Murray and Marezh (with 12) I think that highlights just how hard it is for teams outside the top six to land a regular goal scorer and any player who can net you the magic 20 a season in the PL is probably out of a non top six price range.

Wow. Damning statistics.

Wow. Damning statistics.

Yeah it makes you realise that the vast majority of PL teams don't have a reliable high scoring player. Most teams are lucky to get an 8-10 goals a season forward and judging by Everton's latest signing even that is going to cost you way north of 25 million.

Yeah it makes you realise that the vast majority of PL teams don't have a reliable high scoring player. Most teams are lucky to get an 8-10 goals a season forward and judging by Everton's latest signing even that is going to cost you way north of 25 million.

Which is why a fit Charlie Austin could be so important to us, if he plays 30 games next season he should get 12-15 goals, IIRC he got 5 in 10 starts last year.

Which is why a fit Charlie Austin could be so important to us, if he plays 30 games next season he should get 12-15 goals, IIRC he got 5 in 10 starts last year.

He played in 24 League games last season and scored 7 goals. That's less than 1 in 3.

I'd say 10 goals is a more realistic target for him.

He played in 24 League games last season and scored 7 goals. That's less than 1 in 3.

Little unfair to count games like that? He played in 24 but that includes games he got just 3-4 minutes in.

He played a total of 1,000 minutes or equivalent to 10 full games last season in the league. Scored 7

Problem is he is likely to do same this season as he will not stay injury free it's safe to say.

Little unfair to count games like that? He played in 24 but that includes games he got just 3-4 minutes in.

He played a total of 1,000 minutes or equivalent to 10 full games last season in the league. Scored 7

Problem is he is likely to do same this season as he will not stay injury free it's safe to say.

Bingo.

Some lad on twitter appears to have bumped into Les at HarBar on 6th this evening (there are photos of the two). Not much of interest other than Les apparently reiterating that we have to ‘sell to buy’.

Slightly worrying IMO given that we only seem to have loaned out players and haven’t recouped a lot on transfer fees. Guessing the only obvious person we’ll be able to sell on is Gallagher given the demand, but doubt £7-10m will go far in this market if we were to reinvest. Or maybe Lemina could be sacrificed?

If we don’t sign another striker it will be another glaring f*ck up as our current options, other than Gabbi, are underwhelming to say the least. It will also make the decision to loan out Carillo seem a bit of a hasty one given our initial outlay. Also not convinced he’s been given a fair chance (Pelle was just as unproductive for the equivalent minutes when he first signed) and a loan with a foreign club could’ve been agreed after the window closed anyway.

Let’s hope it’s all smoke and mirrors and we are busy negotiating as we are in dire need of an upgrade in this position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some lad on twitter appears to have bumped into Les at HarBar on 6th this evening (there are photos of the two). Not much of interest other than Les apparently reiterating that we have to ‘sell to buy’.

Slightly worrying IMO given that we only seem to have loaned out players and haven’t recouped a lot on transfer fees. Guessing the only obvious person we’ll be able to sell on is Gallagher given the demand, but doubt £7-10m will go far in this market if we were to reinvest. Or maybe Lemina could be sacrificed?

If we don’t sign another striker it will be another glaring f*ck up as our current options, other than Gabbi, are underwhelming to say the least. It will also make the decision to loan out Carillo seem a bit of a hasty one given our initial outlay. Also not convinced he’s been given a fair chance (Pelle was just as unproductive for the equivalent minutes when he first signed) and a loan with a foreign club could’ve been agreed after the window closed anyway.

Let’s hope it’s all smoke and mirrors and we are busy negotiating as we are in dire need of an upgrade in this position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is who is the upgrade and are they actually in our price range? What is an acceptable number of goals for a striker in a team like saints 10?, 15?

I mean Richarlison scored 5 goals last season and just cost Everton north of 30 million. We'd all like a prolific striker at saints I'm just not sure what a club like us can realistically afford to bring in that will be an upgrade on our current lot.

Seriously it's worth checking out this link to last seasons PL top scorers and just ponder how average most PLs strikers are and just how expensive the top ones would be (not that any of them would come to saints)

that leaves us trying to dig up a gem from a foreign league or the lower leagues which is a pretty big risk in our position anyway its probably worth a shot but it could easily not work out.

Edited by doddisalegend

He appeared in 24 games, in minutes terms he didn't play anything like that because Pellegrino criminally underused him when we were not scoring goals and missing chances.

He could have had another 10 plus starts and he would have got more goals.

Both him and Gabbi IIRC played around 10-11 games in minutes terms so their goals to minutes ratio in such a negative team is actually not bad at all.

Both were underused when they were fit.

Austin basically had the 1 injury that kept him out the middle patch of the season (where he was suspended for 3 anyway), but at the start of the season Pellegrino either didn't play him at all or brought him on for like 5-10 minutes. If he had used him when fit Austin would have hit about 30 league starts.

Get him in the team and give him minutes and he will score goals, he has consistently shown that.

Edited by tajjuk

I do hope we're working hard to sort out our attacking options. I dread to think what position we'll find ourselves in if Ely, Redmond and Austin are out...the quality of attacking options in the squad is paper thin.

That would be like a Liverpool fan saying ‘I dread to think what would happen if Salah, Mane and Firmino were out’, we just can’t expect to have a bench that is as good as all our first team players

That would be like a Liverpool fan saying ‘I dread to think what would happen if Salah, Mane and Firmino were out’, we just can’t expect to have a bench that is as good as all our first team players

Not exactly - plenty of people have been saying Redmond isn't up to the job of being one of our main attackers ever since he joined, while chances are Austin WILL be out for long stretches of the season. Meanwhile, as promising as he sounds, Elyounoussi is completely untested in the PL.

Whatever you thought of Tadic and Boufal, at the moment we've sold/loaned out two international standard players and replaced them with one international standard player. Same with Carillo really - rubbish as he proved to be, our squad is now one £20m striker lighter than it was at the end of last season.

We need two more first team quality attacking recruits, but the noises coming from the club suggest that the only way we'll get them is if we sell. But since Lemina and Bertrand are really our only saleable assets now, selling them would just create another hole in the squad. Difficult to see how we're not going to start the coming season without serious deficiencies somewhere in the first XI (unless of course the club have more money than they're letting on, which is a possibility I suppose).

He appeared in 24 games, in minutes terms he didn't play anything like that because Pellegrino criminally underused him when we were not scoring goals and missing chances.

He could have had another 10 plus starts and he would have got more goals.

Both him and Gabbi IIRC played around 10-11 games in minutes terms so their goals to minutes ratio in such a negative team is actually not bad at all.

Both were underused when they were fit.

Austin basically had the 1 injury that kept him out the middle patch of the season (where he was suspended for 3 anyway), but at the start of the season Pellegrino either didn't play him at all or brought him on for like 5-10 minutes. If he had used him when fit Austin would have hit about 30 league starts.

Get him in the team and give him minutes and he will score goals, he has consistently shown that.

We've been through this on another thread. The BIB is never going to happen.

"When fit," Austin is incapable of starting consecutive games and is usually dragged off after 60-70 minutes.

We've been through this on another thread. The BIB is never going to happen.

"When fit," Austin is incapable of starting consecutive games and is usually dragged off after 60-70 minutes.

What rubbish.

He played the full 90 away at Bournemouth last year, played 86 mins the following game home to Arsenal and then played a full 90 3 days later against Leicester. Scored 2 goals in those three games.

He is clearly capable of playing consecutive games and full 90 mins, he was badly under used last year by our inept manager.

The guy has 420 career games and is only 29, you make out like he's 35-36.

Romeu has said that Armstrong was playing as second striker in China. Although I do honestly think another striker would be great, we shouldn't write off our new signings just yet. I'm looking forward to seeing some Armstrong belters. Not signing a striker would be disappointing but it's not all doom and gloom. I can't wait for this season.

What rubbish.

He played the full 90 away at Bournemouth last year, played 86 mins the following game home to Arsenal and then played a full 90 3 days later against Leicester. Scored 2 goals in those three games.

He is clearly capable of playing consecutive games and full 90 mins, he was badly under used last year by our inept manager.

The guy has 420 career games and is only 29, you make out like he's 35-36.

So he did it once - right before he injured himself and missed the next 3 months. That doesn't prove anything.

Romeu has said that Armstrong was playing as second striker in China. Although I do honestly think another striker would be great, we shouldn't write off our new signings just yet. I'm looking forward to seeing some Armstrong belters. Not signing a striker would be disappointing but it's not all doom and gloom. I can't wait for this season.

It would be a complete failure to address a position which is an obvious problem, if we didn't.

Not exactly - plenty of people have been saying Redmond isn't up to the job of being one of our main attackers ever since he joined, while chances are Austin WILL be out for long stretches of the season. Meanwhile, as promising as he sounds, Elyounoussi is completely untested in the PL.

Whatever you thought of Tadic and Boufal, at the moment we've sold/loaned out two international standard players and replaced them with one international standard player. Same with Carillo really - rubbish as he proved to be, our squad is now one £20m striker lighter than it was at the end of last season.

We need two more first team quality attacking recruits, but the noises coming from the club suggest that the only way we'll get them is if we sell. But since Lemina and Bertrand are really our only saleable assets now, selling them would just create another hole in the squad. Difficult to see how we're not going to start the coming season without serious deficiencies somewhere in the first XI (unless of course the club have more money than they're letting on, which is a possibility I suppose).

I can't disagree with anything you say, but look at the Burnley squad last season. It looked low grade yet they managed to pull off a 7th place finish. Team spirit was good for us when Hughes came in, so let's hope he can inspire us next season to at least a mid table finish.

I can't disagree with anything you say, but look at the Burnley squad last season. It looked low grade yet they managed to pull off a 7th place finish. Team spirit was good for us when Hughes came in, so let's hope he can inspire us next season to at least a mid table finish.

I think the problem is that in addition to not seeing a lot of goals/genuine quality, I don't see much of the kind of defensive solidity and physical presence that tends to underwrite achievements like Burnely's. In contrast, most of the players in our spine are either small, clumsy or slow (or some combination thereof) and I just can't see us putting together a quintessentially 'hard to beat' side from our current squad.

:lol: I genuinely believe that given the number of games he has played' date=' I could probably score more than Shane Long has in the last few years![/quote']

Long has potential, you do however need to play to his strengths.

In Koemans last season didn't Long score 15-17 goals?

Not sure where u got 15-17 from [emoji23]

His best ever tally is 10 which was in Koeman last season

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3206/Shane-Long/overview

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's one of Glasgow's weird little things for some reason he includes all of Long's international, cup and pre-season friendly goals that season and tries to pass them of his league goal tally..

Not like u said about his goals return though. Long is the modern-day Brett Ormerod

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apologies for being a couple goals out...

Like I said play to his strengths. We've not done that since Koeman left