Strikers for 18/19

Dusic

We've had this problem for the last few years...mental that it wasn't the first issue we fixed this summer...at the end of the day, we still haven't replaced Pelle & Mane and we won't score a decent amount of goals until we improve our striking options.

League starts (subs) - goals

2015/16

Mane - 30 (7) - 11

Pelle - 23 (7) - 11

Long - 23 (5) - 10

Austin - 2 (5) - 1

Rodriguez - 3 (9) - 0

2016/17

Austin - 11 (4) - 6

Gabbiadini - 10 (1) - 4

Long - 10 (22) - 3

Rodriguez - 9 (15) - 5

2017/18

Austin - 10 (14) - 7

Gabbiadini - 11 (17) - 5

Long - 15 (15) - 2

Carrillo - 5 (2) - 0

Obafemi - 0 (1) - 0

We've had this problem for the last few years...mental that it wasn't the first issue we fixed this summer...at the end of the day, we still haven't replaced Pelle & Mane and we won't score a decent amount of goals until we improve our striking options.

From that list, our average goals per game (just from the listed names);

2015/16 = 0.356

2016/17 = 0.450

2017/18 = 0.322 (not including Obafemi)

which would suggest Mane/Pelle were not any better than Austin/Gabbi in 2016/2017, it's just they had a long run of games. Mope probably responsible for last years mess. Austin's rate has only got better, so the problem seems to be more that our strikers are not getting games. If Austin or Gabbi could play 30 games in a season, they will score a dozen goals each. Austin has a perception of being fragile, but Gabbi would be like a new signing if the manager just picks him and plays to his strengths...

From that list, our average goals per game (just from the listed names);

2015/16 = 0.356

2016/17 = 0.450

2017/18 = 0.322 (not including Obafemi)

which would suggest Mane/Pelle were not any better than Austin/Gabbi in 2016/2017, it's just they had a long run of games. Mope probably responsible for last years mess. Austin's rate has only got better, so the problem seems to be more that our strikers are not getting games. If Austin or Gabbi could play 30 games in a season, they will score a dozen goals each. Austin has a perception of being fragile, but Gabbi would be like a new signing if the manager just picks him and plays to his strengths...

What a ludicrous stat. Don’t even know what you’ve done or are trying to do.

I get your point but why are you including Mane as a striker but not Redmond when they play a similar position. Tadic could be included in the comparison to. The distinction between out and out strikers and AMs playing in a front three is pretty blurry these days.

I've come around to thinking that I'd keep Gallagher and actively look to sell Long (unless Spary has some other position for him). I think Gallagher has shown he has the upside, and is a better fit for our system. Plus Mo Ely can be the 4th striker if needed. I am pretty comfortable with Austin and Gabbi upfront, they seem to complement each other and link up fairly well.

Amazing we will have the same strikers as the start of last season - hugely constricts our chances. I reckon two of them will get less than 5 PL goals for a start.

Is Austin worth a place in the side? Looks even slower and more unfit than last season. We can't afford passengers.

Still can't believe we have moved him and Long on somehow.

Amazing we will have the same strikers as the start of last season - hugely constricts our chances. I reckon two of them will get less than 5 PL goals for a start.

Is Austin worth a place in the side? Looks even slower and more unfit than last season. We can't afford passengers.

Still can't believe we have moved him and Long on somehow.

It really is.

Austin did look poor yesterday, but then the team didn't really help him much.

My hope is that Armstrong and Moi, carrying the ball from midfield at pace, will create more chances than last season.

This may be a forlorn hope.

Austin did look poor yesterday, but then the team didn't really help him much.

My hope is that Armstrong and Moi, carrying the ball from midfield at pace, will create more chances than last season.

This may be a forlorn hope.

With the way the midfield played I have to give the CB's and strikers a pass. There was no attack, unless you call getting the ball at midfield with your back to the goal an attack, and no shelter for the 3 CB's who were always under duress. My hope is it was the formation, which Hughes acknowledged wouldh ave changed much earlier if it was a real match. Its very simplistic to just blame the strikers in a match like this, but people always do. Its a team.

With the way the midfield played I have to give the CB's and strikers a pass. There was no attack, unless you call getting the ball at midfield with your back to the goal an attack, and no shelter for the 3 CB's who were always under duress. My hope is it was the formation, which Hughes acknowledged wouldh ave changed much earlier if it was a real match. Its very simplistic to just blame the strikers in a match like this, but people always do. Its a team.

Come on, you’ll never ever be critical of Austin. You’re the ultimate fanboy.

Come on, you’ll never ever be critical of Austin. You’re the ultimate fanboy.

Good afternoon Pal. You know if you're going to respond to everything I write you really need to read them first. I have said numerous times I like Austin if we have have the possession and get him the ball in our attacking 3rd. He is by far the most prolific scorer we have. I like Gabbi if we don't have lots of possession and are playing more of a counter match. Gabbi is obviously a lot better in open space. Its called using players where they fit best. Austin looks like a world beater in one scenario and a slug in the other. Gabbi goes invisible playing the crossing/header game, but looks really good attacking from farther out. The point is for these guys to score goals, and IMO these are the only two who have shown they can score goals in the PL, not just run around and complete passes. We have enough of that already.

In a game like yesterday, where we are doing neither possessing or countering, I don't see how anyone could look good or play well (and they didn't). That was my point. Until Hughes straightens out the mid with formation changes (whether its more mids, 4 at the back, etc.) neither the strikers or CB's will look any good. I think coaches and players know this already.

And while I'm out it let me add that the is why you see this constant "whiplash" back and forth of fan perception after every match. Gabbi is great, oh Gabbi sucks, Austin is great, now he sucks (depending on who is writing). Its because both our strikers are "formation" or "scheme" guys (at least by PL standards). So depending on the way the match is going you can almost tell if they will look good or not. If you don't have a Salah or Aguello, then you likely have guys like Austin and Gabbi, and need to build your attack accordingly. Luckily we have two and can switch between them.

Good afternoon Pal. You know if you're going to respond to everything I write you really need to read them first. I have said numerous times I like Austin if we have have the possession and get him the ball in our attacking 3rd. He is by far the most prolific scorer we have. I like Gabbi if we don't have lots of possession and are playing more of a counter match. Gabbi is obviously a lot better in open space. Its called using players where they fit best. Austin looks like a world beater in one scenario and a slug in the other. Gabbi goes invisible playing the crossing/header game, but looks really good attacking from farther out. The point is for these guys to score goals, and IMO these are the only two who have shown they can score goals in the PL, not just run around and complete passes. We have enough of that already.

In a game like yesterday, where we are doing neither possessing or countering, I don't see how anyone could look good or play well (and they didn't). That was my point. Until Hughes straightens out the mid with formation changes (whether its more mids, 4 at the back, etc.) neither the strikers or CB's will look any good. I think coaches and players know this already.

Spot on the mid just were not creative or indeed defensive

This is exactly right. Hopefully the Hughes and his staff can see it.

Relegation if they can't. 15th and up if they can.

Austin was woeful, yesterday. Slow, unfit, lost out in the air every time, constantly poor first touch and decision making. Might be great at getting on the end of balls into the box but offers little else. Gabbi is twice the player.

Agree, although Gabbi really should have scored that chance in the first half.

Austin was woeful, yesterday. Slow, unfit, lost out in the air every time, constantly poor first touch and decision making. Might be great at getting on the end of balls into the box but offers little else. Gabbi is twice the player.

I don't care as long as he scores goals in the end that's a strikers job.

Unfortunately Austin is a good Championship striker now - nothing more now - even if he ever was. He lacks the pace, movement off the ball and the stamina needed for Premier League football. He is very static when he doesn't have the ball and doesn't really link play. Yes - he is good in the box but he needs the chance on a plate - he doesn't make goals for himself or contribute much else. But he will score goals in the box if he is given the service.

Gabbi has excellent movement off the ball - but lacks the physicality to lead the line as a centre forward, hold the ball or win balls in the air. He can link play with his clever passing and movement but is better as a second striker or inside forward than as the main striker.

Long has the physicality and the pace and movement - but is not a natural goalscorer - he has a bad first touch and often makes the wrong decision with the ball at his feet. He will cause the opposition defence problems with his running but he won'r score goals.

Gallagher - has the physicality and the movement going on past games - and can play as an inside forward - but we haven't really seen enough of him yet to really say if he is up to it.

I was hoping we would sell 2 or 3 of our current strikers over the summer and sign a goalscorer with pace and movement.

Unfortunately Austin is a good Championship striker now - nothing more now - even if he ever was. He lacks the pace, movement off the ball and the stamina needed for Premier League football. He is very static when he doesn't have the ball and doesn't really link play. Yes - he is good in the box but he needs the chance on a plate - he doesn't make goals for himself or contribute much else. But he will score goals in the box if he is given the service.

Gabbi has excellent movement off the ball - but lacks the physicality to lead the line as a centre forward, hold the ball or win balls in the air. He can link play with his clever passing and movement but is better as a second striker or inside forward than as the main striker.

Long has the physicality and the pace and movement - but is not a natural goalscorer - he has a bad first touch and often makes the wrong decision with the ball at his feet. He will cause the opposition defence problems with his running but he won'r score goals.

Gallagher - has the physicality and the movement going on past games - and can play as an inside forward - but we haven't really seen enough of him yet to really say if he is up to it.

I was hoping we would sell 2 or 3 of our current strikers over the summer and sign a goalscorer with pace and movement.

I'm sure there was an ITK comment, or possibly an interview with a first teamer even, near the start of the summer which suggest 2 strikers would be leaving.

Presumably we are looking at a last week/day deal if we can shift some other wages?

Edited by Suhari

Outside the top six who has a prolific striker? The best striker outside the top six is Vardy a non league player Leicester signed in the championship who only really came good a couple of seasons ago.

The next best striker last season was Glenn Murray with 12 goals a player noted for his pace and movement.

Its a perennial problem for the sides outside the top six where to get a proven prolific striker.

PL "proven" strikers like Ings, Origi, Welbeck, Mitrović and Richarlison are going to cost 20-30 million and have goal records little better than our current lot.

So that leaves us searching foreign leagues or the lower leagues for a good striker who step up and lets face it their are plenty of those who haven't made the grade.

I'd be very very happy if we signed a 15 goal a season striker but I've yet to see us be linked with a realistic target that could do that. Quaility affordable strikers are an issue for 13 teams in the PL this season.

The next best striker last season was Glenn Murray with 12 goals a player noted for his pace and movement.

Also noted for penalty taking. 4 of his 12 league goals last season came from the spot. If Austin is on the pitch I have a high degree of confidence that he would score pens as well.

15 goal a season strikers are a modern myth outside the top 6. What we lack is significant contributions (5.6 per season, not including pens) from the midfield and wing backs (our CBs contributed, Stephens got 2 or 3 and even Hoedt got one if I recall).

I thought Long was on his way out, something seems to have gone wrong with the move to Glasgow. Also very disappointed that Sam G didn't even get on the pitch on Saturday, he has to be an improvement on Carrillo and at the moment that is our only difference between now and the 2nd half of last season as far as strikers are concerned (though I understand that Moi can play as a striker).

Outside the top six who has a prolific striker? The best striker outside the top six is Vardy a non league player Leicester signed in the championship who only really came good a couple of seasons ago.

Its a perennial problem for the sides outside the top six where to get a proven prolific striker.

PL "proven" strikers like Ings, Origi, Welbeck, Mitrović and Richarlison are going to cost 20-30 million and have goal records little better than our current lot.

So that leaves us searching foreign leagues or the lower leagues for a good striker who step up and lets face it their are plenty of those who haven't made the grade.

I'd be very very happy if we signed a 15 goal a season striker but I've yet to see us be linked with a realistic target that could do that. Quaility affordable strikers are an issue for 13 teams in the PL this season.

It’s not just about the goals - we don’t have a striker who can lead the line and bring others into play. Austin and Gabbi are too one-dimensional. Ironically Long probably does it best - despite being a woeful finisher.

We might not find a 15 goals a season striker but surely we can find a player who can be a focal point for the attack while chipping in with a few goals. That’s not an unrealistic expectation.

A club like ours is not going to be able to buy a striker who can score a goal nearly every 2 games like the top clubs can but we should have been looking at getting one with a ratio close to 1 in 3. Instead we seem to settle for 1 in 5 strikers or worse and so struggle to score goals. This summer we should have brought in someone like Nils Petersen. He wouldn't have cost any more than Carrillo. If there is any money left, it's still not too late.

It’s not just about the goals - we don’t have a striker who can lead the line and bring others into play. Austin and Gabbi are too one-dimensional. Ironically Long probably does it best - despite being a woeful finisher.

We might not find a 15 goals a season striker but surely we can find a player who can be a focal point for the attack while chipping in with a few goals. That’s not an unrealistic expectation.

I think you just reinforced my point strikers aren't what they used to be. When did it get to the point where we are hoping for our main striker to be "chipping in with a few goals". That's what you want your attacking midfield to be doing the striker is supposed to be putting the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

Edited by doddisalegend

I think you just reinforced my point when did it get to the point where we are hoping for our main striker to be "chipping in with a few goals". That's what you want your attacking midfield to be doing the striker is supposed to be putting the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

But that’s much more difficult when the striker is incapable of holding and linking up play and/or creating space for others. Gabbi isn’t strong enough on the ball; Austin is immobile and technically limited.

Your point is that there’s much of a muchness about strikers below the top 6. My point is that a decent striker offers much more than goals scored and there is still substantial variation in quality between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ strikers even among ones who aren’t banging in 15 goals a season. As a result, there’s still real scope to upgrade the position.

But that’s much more difficult when the striker is incapable of holding and linking up play and/or creating space for others. Gabbi isn’t strong enough on the ball; Austin is immobile and technically limited.

Your point is that there’s much of a muchness about strikers below the top 6. My point is that a decent striker offers much more than goals scored and there is still substantial variation in quality between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ strikers even among ones who aren’t banging in 15 goals a season. As a result, there’s still real scope to upgrade the position.

Moreover, when people are asking for a 15 goal a season player, they mostly seem to be referring back to a bygone age when the striker was the absolute focal point of the team, scored the vast majority of the team's goals, and the entire purpose of the game was to get men to the byline to put in crosses for them (in other words, mid-nineties Utd). The game has gone through at least one if not two tactical revolutions since then, and as you suggest, arguably no role has evolved more than that of the lone striker. It's great if you can find one who can create and score their own opportunities while playing in support of the overall tactical approach (though if you can, they either cost a fortune or don't stay with you long), but it's far more important to find one with the intelligence and technique to hold the ball long enough for meaningful attacks to build around them.

Moreover, when people are asking for a 15 goal a season player, they mostly seem to be referring back to a bygone age when the striker was the absolute focal point of the team, scored the vast majority of the team's goals, and the entire purpose of the game was to get men to the byline to put in crosses for them (in other words, mid-nineties Utd). The game has gone through at least one if not two tactical revolutions since then, and as you suggest, arguably no role has evolved more than that of the lone striker. It's great if you can find one who can create and score their own opportunities while playing in support of the overall tactical approach (though if you can, they either cost a fortune or don't stay with you long), but it's far more important to find one with the intelligence and technique to hold the ball long enough for meaningful attacks to build around them.

Not sure I agree with this. Any team needs a certain number of goals to survive, and there are only so many positions where the players are in a place to score significant goals. Strikers are one of them, and they are the closest to the goal. If you are relying on wide players, or players that usually are 30 yards from the goal, you are not going to score much. Sure its important to play as a team and move things around to create opportunities, but if you aren't getting scoring from your strikers then you are in a real hole.

It is more than just goals when assessing a striker. Mane only scored 10 and then 11 for us, Pelle similar, Jay Rod and Lambert (PL) a little more but nothing wildly spectacular number wise.

You have to also consider:

- How do they create chances for others, like Lambert did countless time?

- How do they provide a threat in behind or press defenders like a fit Jay Rod did? How does that then give space or opportunities to others? From wide how does that impact the opposition full backs and how much they can influence the game going forward?

- How do they scare a team as soon as they pick up the ball, often inducing fouls, like Mane did? On his debut at the Emirates Clyne scored from a corner Mane got out of nothing, he also won us countless free kicks in dangerous areas

- How do they provide an outball when under pressure like Long is capable of doing?

- How do they hold the ball up when you are under the cosh, like Pelle and Lambert did, with a secure first touch that their teammates trusted?

The problem with our strikers, is that they don't score many goals, but they also don't do many of these things.

Austin - 14 PL goals in 2 and a half seasons. Slow, static, cannot press, not at all creative, will rarely assist.

Gabbi - good technically but no physical presence and always on the fringes of a game. Doesnt have pace or strength.

Long - not creative, poor technique and first touch, lack of awareness. Really its amazing he is still at the club.

-------------

Good example for me is Danny Welbeck. IMO he would be a brilliant signing for anyone outside the top 6. He might 'only' get 10 goals but he would do more of the other stuff than any of our strikers do.

................well it seems were intrested in Welbeck,nice would love to see that happen.

I was against signing Welbeck but would be happy with that now. Anything other than starting this season with the same lot as last - I really don’t get what the club are expecting to happen. Long or Gabbiadini to start banging them in or Austin to stay fit?

So we are excepting we can't get a prolific striker? So we now want one who creates for others instead of scoring many himself?

That being the case all we are doing is in effect passing on the responsibility to score onto our attacking midfielders than our striker. Are we confident that likes of Redmond, Mo, Armstrong, Davis and JWP and sims are going to step up then?

If that is the case then why bother with a striker at all our current ones aren't consider good enough and we are unlikely to get a whole lot better given how the club spends money. Hughes might as well channel his inner Pep and play Mo as a false 9 with Armstrong, Redmond and Sims playing as a fluid three around him.

Personally while all the other stuff is nice a striker, for me is rated on goals, that's their job to score goals if we had a striker in the squad who scored 20 goals in a season with 20 touches no one would be complaining about him. The issue is unless we get lucky like Leicester with Vardy we are likely to get a succession of not very prolific strikers that cost a fair bit but with any luck they might be good at flick ons or something.

So we are excepting we can't get a prolific striker? So we now want one who creates for others instead of scoring many himself?

That being the case all we are doing is in effect passing on the responsibility to score onto our attacking midfielders than our striker. Are we confident that likes of Redmond, Mo, Armstrong, Davis and JWP and sims are going to step up then?

If that is the case then why bother with a striker at all our current ones aren't consider good enough and we are unlikely to get a whole lot better given how the club spends money. Hughes might as well channel his inner Pep and play Mo as a false 9 with Armstrong, Redmond and Sims playing as a fluid three around him.

Personally while all the other stuff is nice a striker, for me is rated on goals, that's their job to score goals if we had a striker in the squad who scored 20 goals in a season with 20 touches no one would be complaining about him. The issue is unless we get lucky like Leicester with Vardy we are likely to get a succession of not very prolific strikers that cost a fair bit but with any luck they might be good at flick ons or something.

Not really the point. Getting a striker who can score 10 league goals a season and create chances for others would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have.

I think people are overlooking the fact that Hughes will not play the same way as MoPe. We've seen already in pre-season that Gabbiandini is being used in a totally different way, and it's a way that makes him much more dangerous. This will in turn create chances for others (Austin for example) and I think he himself will have a 12-14 goal season. Armstrong and Moi are welcome attacking additions in positions that we have been lacking in. Don't underestimate how good Sam G could be this season as well; the club (I hope) see a bright future for him here - he looks stronger, fitter and with 2 season's experience in the Champ under his belt should be making good contributions too.

It's not all gloom and doom. Clubs outside the top 6 don't (and can't afford to) sign strikers who will guarantee 20 goals a season. I believe our goals scored performance will be much improved this year and am looking forward to seeing this. Welbeck would be ideal - not because he'll score loads himself, but because he'll create for others IMO.

saints crossing stats since we got back to the PL

2017-2018 2nd in the league (800) (spurs where first this season with 825 crosses)

2016-2017 1st in the league (947)

2015-2016 2nd in the league (956)

2014-2015 2nd in the league (952)

2013-2014 5th in the league (877)

2012-2013 7th in the league (917)

Crossing into the box has been a big part of our game since we got back to the PL (and arguably before that) so it looks like what ever innovations have come and gone in football and no matter what we formation or tactical changes we make we end up banging crosses into the box from out wide as our default mode of attacking.

Not really the point. Getting a striker who can score 10 league goals a season and create chances for others would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have.

Yes it would. Who are we going to get that can do that then? which teams outside the top six have strikers like that? Also creating for others means the attacking midfielders does it not? you expecting them to step it up if we get a more creative striker?

saints crossing stats since we got back to the PL

2017-2018 2nd in the league (800) (spurs where first this season with 825 crosses)

2016-2017 1st in the league (947)

2015-2016 2nd in the league (956)

2014-2015 2nd in the league (952)

2013-2014 5th in the league (877)

2012-2013 7th in the league (917)

Crossing into the box has been a big part of our game since we got back to the PL (and arguably before that) so it looks like what ever innovations have come and gone in football and no matter what we formation or tactical changes we make we end up banging crosses into the box from out wide as our default mode of attacking.

400 of which was cedric over hitting them :lol:

At least this shows the management have some common sense. Not spending ridiculous sums on someone like these who is going to get 6-7 goals a season is a good sign and maybe will lead to more focus on getting something better out of those we do have. In the recent past we have managed by getting gems who have slipped under the radar of the big clubs - Lambert, Mane, Pelle - but they seem harder and harder to find as the big clubs Have spread their nets wider.

If Charlie stays fit and gets the service he'll get 15+ this season. Too many knockers on here - if it was that easy to score goals how come the rest of our squad aren't banging them in left right and centre?

He's an extremely good goalscorer and that makes him very valuable to us.