Maya Yoshida

Charlie Wayman

The latest player to become better by not actually playing.....

Yeah but it is relative. He clearly was down the pecking order when we had good CBs. We haven’t now and he is better than the others although exclude Vest as too soon to claim after 2 games.

So, third game in and still no start for the solid international World Cup playing Maya Yoshida, but continued starts for Hoedt.

I can't help but let my mind run away with me and start to consider all manner of wild conspiracy theories :uhoh:

Not even the bench

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think this forums software is modern enough to allow "mentions" of other users, however...

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?60250-Saints-2-2-Brighton-Reaction&p=2667022#post2667022

... with no evidence to counter it it's as valid a reason as any other.

Yoshi's a true pro, so we all know he's match fit by now, so there must a be a reason in Hughes head as to why he prefers Hoedt over him or is he be guided by above? (I'm not aware of Chinese culture but could Ji Sheng Gao be instigating this as Yoshi is Japanese?).

I don't think this forums software is modern enough to allow "mentions" of other users, however...

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?60250-Saints-2-2-Brighton-Reaction&p=2667022#post2667022

... with no evidence to counter it it's as valid a reason as any other.

Yoshi's a true pro, so we all know he's match fit by now, so there must a be a reason in Hughes head as to why he prefers Hoedt over him or is he be guided by above? (I'm not aware of Chinese culture but could Ji Sheng Gao be instigating this as Yoshi is Japanese?).

Are you trying to claim that Yoshi is being left out because our owner is a racist? :?

Are you trying to claim that Yoshi is being left out because our owner is a racist? :?

Just trying to rationalise why our World Cup playing international CB is somehow considered to be a worse choice than Hoedt of all people. I've no idea personally of how Chinese view the Japanese, however I've always assumed that it was more hate than love, and this is an interesting article but Wikipedia is not always accurate...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Japanese_sentiment_in_China

It would be no surprise if that were the case.

Yes it would. If it was that much of an issue for Gao why even have him on the bench? Why not just sell him? Could it be that Hughes doesnt actually rate Yoshi that highly? Yoshi is a great pro and is handy to have on the bench, but he really isnt a top quality premiership player. Whether he is better than Hoedt or not is debatable, but Hughes seems to think so and he is the one who has played at the highest level and watches them in training day out. When there was a debate on here about Hughes's appointment it was agreed that he wouldnt stand for any interference from "management" in team affairs. Do you really believe he would leave out a player he wanted to start with at the owner's behest?

Yes it would. If it was that much of an issue for Gao why even have him on the bench? Why not just sell him? Could it be that Hughes doesnt actually rate Yoshi that highly? Yoshi is a great pro and is handy to have on the bench, but he really isnt a top quality premiership player. Whether he is better than Hoedt or not is debatable, but Hughes seems to think so and he is the one who has played at the highest level and watches them in training day out. When there was a debate on here about Hughes's appointment it was agreed that he wouldnt stand for any interference from "management" in team affairs. Do you really believe he would leave out a player he wanted to start with at the owner's behest?

Christmas come early for you, hasn’t it pal?

It must be that Hughes doesn’t really rate him, either from past performances he saw when scouting Saints as an opposition manger or just in current training.

Valid point about it possibly being down to the owner. Maybe it’s just about selling Saints in China, and as mentioned before there’s a long history of animosity between the two countries. Easier for him to try and ease him out of the club with limited game time.

Interestingly, according to this site there are zero Japanese players playing in China. They are playing in other parts of Asia and the rest of the world.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/japan/

**** me, why don’t people think it through. It’s one of two things

1. The manger doesn’t rate him.

2. Hughes wants to play him, but Les & the hierarchy won’t let him as they want him gone.

Hughes doesn’t strike me as the type that’ll let Les dictate who he can and can’t play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Hughes wants to play him, but Les & the hierarchy won’t let him as they want him gone.

Hughes doesn’t strike me as the type that’ll let Les dictate who he can and can’t play.

So he rates him worse than Bednarek? And Hoedt?

In the unlikely event that is true, that makes him a pretty ****ing clueless manager.

As for number 2, I generally agree, but he isn't getting a Premier League job anywhere else any time soon.

Yeah. It's one of only two things. That's what you come to when you think things through. Like Lord D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I'm sure would improve us with the Captain's armband, too. Bertrand is not Captain material!

Pretty much what I alluded to on another thread, we end up with a CB on the pitch better that Hoedt and get the bonus of a natural leader.

100% something fishy going on here, and as other said Yoshi is a gentleman so we won't find out why at least until he's left the club.

Chinese owner bans Japanese player shock

Chinese owners tell English DoF who tells Welsh Manager who not to pick.

Saints web poster in ridiculous comment shock.

Bans? Is he banned from playing, banned from being in the starting 11, banned from training? Please explain how the “ban” works.

Chinese owners tell English DoF who tells Welsh Manager who not to pick.

Saints web poster in ridiculous comment shock.

Bans? Is he banned from playing, banned from being in the starting 11, banned from training? Please explain how the “ban” works.

I wasn't being serious

Trouble is not hard to disbelieve, Chinese can be stubborn buggers.

if it does turn out to be true they can kiss goodbye to my £1000+ next season. Vestergaard and Hoedt are too immature to run the centre of defence by themselves.

Vestergaard and Hoedt are too slow on the turn, wasn't Yoshi the fastest Saints player last year?

Trouble is not hard to disbelieve, Chinese can be stubborn buggers.

if it does turn out to be true they can kiss goodbye to my £1000+ next season. Vestergaard and Hoedt are too immature to run the centre of defence by themselves.

Yes it is. We hear on here all of the time about what little interest Gao has in the club and in football and then the next minute he is supposedly telling the manager to leave a player out because of his ethnicity? We have had some really bizarre conspiracy theories on here but this one takes the biscuit. Not that long ago people were calling for Yoshida and Stephens to be dropped. Now they are calling for them to be reinstated? Here's a thought. Perhaps Hughes doesnt rate Yoshi and Stephens that is why he isn't playing them. If Yoshida is such a problem with our branding campaign in China, why he is even on the bench? A bigger issue is our poor form. We aren't going to sell our brand anywhere until we become a decent team again (and despite all the moaning in recent years, we have actually been decent for a number of them) - it doesnt matter what nationality our players are.

Yes it is. We hear on here all of the time about what little interest Gao has in the club and in football and then the next minute he is supposedly telling the manager to leave a player out because of his ethnicity? We have had some really bizarre conspiracy theories on here but this one takes the biscuit. Not that long ago people were calling for Yoshida and Stephens to be dropped. Now they are calling for them to be reinstated? Here's a thought. Perhaps Hughes doesnt rate Yoshi and Stephens that is why he isn't playing them. If Yoshida is such a problem with our branding campaign in China, why he is even on the bench? A bigger issue is our poor form. We aren't going to sell our brand anywhere until we become a decent team again (and despite all the moaning in recent years, we have actually been decent for a number of them) - it doesnt matter what nationality our players are.

Maybe Goa dislikes the Japanese more than you do soggy?

OK, fu ck it, there's no conspiracy theory here at all is there now with Hoedt always starting. He could sh it on Hughes pillow and he'd still start.

Black and white, it's either..

1: Hughes has zero skill at all in picking CB's.

2: Those above Hughes are intentionally preventing Yoshi from being in the starting 11 (either through disliking him or a failed attempt to ship him out in the summer).

Hughes doesn't rate him. Koeman and Pochettino thought the same. Puel only played him when he foolishly rotated the side during Europa until Fonte left.

If Hughes doesn't rate him, then perhaps his judgement, (or lack of it) is questionable. As we have a weak and accident prone defence who aren't capable of the zonal marking that he apparently perseveres with, perhaps Yoshida could be included in a back three to bring in his intelligence, pace and experience, as well as crucially an extra body. Yoshida is good enough to Captain Japan, who performed really well at the World Cup, so he has leadership skills, but he is seemingly not good enough to either replace Hoedt or Vestergaard, or to play alongside them.