Things That are Racist

Turkish

18 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

"Dr Zubaida Haque, the deputy director of the race equality think tank Runnymede Trust, said the research was the "most conclusive evidence that overt racial discrimination still exists".

"Nowadays a lot of the conversation is about unconscious bias, but this shows that no matter your degree or education, you are still perceived and treated by the colour of your skin, religion and ethnicity, and not by what you can do," she told the BBC."

How do the results from that survey show what this woman claims? Serious question because it sounds like she's started with her conclusions and then pretended that this survey shows that when it clearly shows nothing of the sort. The only way to test if it was the name that was preventing applications would be to send two identical CVs with the names changed on them and even then all it would show is that employers don't like strange names that they haven't encountered before. If you sent identical CVs out without a name and just a photo you may have a point but even then it could be someone who has a negative reaction to the way someone looks. 

But yes let's pretend that it's really because everyone is secretly racist. The vast majority of employers I've seen will employ anyone as long as they are competent and don't cause trouble. 

It seems that there are a number of people who have nothing better to do than to hunt for perceived racism (and make a decent living out of it). The employer response figures are hardly damning, only 24% of "decent white folk" got a callback, maybe most of the CV's were deemed not good enough for the jobs. If the aim of such vacuous "studies" is to show that prejudice exists in the world, well done. Now what ? Positive descrimination resulting in a disproportionate number of non-white people represented in all walks of life ? White people being sidelined in the crusade for "equality", the probable backlash and rise of the far right, and back to square one we go, a trip to the tailors for Mr Griffin with his new-found popularity. If every non-white resident in this country is encouraged to believe that their failures are due to their skin colour and an oppressive white majority conspiracy, that's just a cop out. Given the diverslty in the UK, we live in one of the most tolerant and fair societies in the world. These people should just fucking grow up.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I disagree. I think it's raised the profile of this form of activism and I think it's been viewed incredibly negatively by a significant percentage of fans. I don't think it's furthered any anti racism agenda (and as I pointed out, polls showed that people felt these protests had had an overall negative effect on racial relations so you could argue its actually made things worse.) 

You accept surely that not everyone who objects to the taking of the knee is a "racist?" The point is that this isn't going to result in a "bit less racism" it's going to increase tensions and probably lead to more racist attitudes in the future. 

Sure, some people will object on political grounds (largely unfounded IMO), but I believe that there is a stronger chance that raising the issue in the public conversation will result in racist behaviour becoming less acceptable. That's got to be a good thing for society.

7 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

It seems that there are a number of people who have nothing better to do than to hunt for perceived racism (and make a decent living out of it). The employer response figures are hardly damning, only 24% of "decent white folk" got a callback, maybe most of the CV's were deemed not good enough for the jobs. If the aim of such vacuous "studies" is to show that prejudice exists in the world, well done. Now what ? Positive descrimination resulting in a disproportionate number of non-white people represented in all walks of life ? White people being sidelined in the crusade for "equality", the probable backlash and rise of the far right, and back to square one we go, a trip to the tailors for Mr Griffin with his new-found popularity. If every non-white resident in this country is encouraged to believe that their failures are due to their skin colour and an oppressive white majority conspiracy, that's just a cop out. Given the diverslty in the UK, we live in one of the most tolerant and fair societies in the world. These people should just fucking grow up.

Not sure that's how it worked.

The study said they used the same CV, just changed the name, so there should have been no deeming of the CVs to be any different from one another.

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sure that's how it worked.

The study said they used the same CV, just changed the name, so there should have been no deeming of the CVs to be any different from one another.

So an employer receives half a dozen identical CV's for the same job (excluding the name). I'd smell a rat. Maybe explains the low response rate ? c'mon Dr, name names then...

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I disagree. I think it's raised the profile of this form of activism and I think it's been viewed incredibly negatively by a significant percentage of fans. I don't think it's furthered any anti racism agenda (and as I pointed out, polls showed that people felt these protests had had an overall negative effect on racial relations so you could argue its actually made things worse.)

A significant number of racists feel that being confronted with their racism has made them more angry towards people of other races. No sh*t.

26 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Sure, some people will object on political grounds (largely unfounded IMO), but I believe that there is a stronger chance that raising the issue in the public conversation will result in racist behaviour becoming less acceptable. That's got to be a good thing for society.

Where is racist behaviour acceptable? What racist behaviour specifically are you hoping will be reduced? 

1 minute ago, verlaine1979 said:

A significant number of racists feel that being confronted with their racism has made them more angry towards people of other races. No sh*t.

See you know that's not the case and yet you framing this like you have just underlines the problem and demonstrates why many are absolutely right to feel aggrieved by the disingenuous and false narrative you are peddling. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

See you know that's not the case and yet you framing this like you have just underlines the problem and demonstrates why many are absolutely right to feel aggrieved by the disingenuous and false narrative you are peddling. 

The only people acting in bad faith here are those trying to argue that it's okay to boo anti-racist protests because of a spurious set of political objections that are - at best - only adjacent, and at worst, offered with absolute connivance. People hate being confronted by their own ignorance and prejudice - it's no reason not to do it.

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

The Hindus still use the swastika without controversy, so, yeah I guess people can get their head around it. 

It is fairly easy to see the difference between the Hindu or Buddhism swastikas and the nazi one. The nazi one is black with short legs in a white circle with a red background and mean different things!!

Edited by East Kent Saint

7 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

The only people acting in bad faith here are those trying to argue that it's okay to boo anti-racist protests because of a spurious set of political objections that are - at best - only adjacent, and at worst, offered with absolute connivance. People hate being confronted by their own ignorance and prejudice - it's no reason not to do it.

Why did Millwall fans boo the first protest and then the following week applaud? 

Racists are evil, I never said they're stupid - it was a strategic retreat into their political narrative for the sake of avoiding further scrutiny and criticism.

Inevitably you'll turn around and ask why I'm not taking their reaction at face value - which is, of course, exactly what you've already done by refusing to accept that the kneeling is purely intended as an anti-racist symbol.

23 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Again, another statement which shows why progress will never be made. If your position on an issue is absolute and immobile, that everything wrong must be the other person’s fault, a compromise can never be reached.

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

Like Sad old git for example. Thumping away on his keyboard about how terrible it all is, how it all needs to change yet so keen to embrace other cultures he chose to  live in a small middle class town with a 97% white British population, refused to answer when he last encountered racism at a football match. 

then there is aintforever, all over any racism thread cheering on from the sidelines yet the one chance he had to pull someone up on racism he decided it might negatively impact his career so didnt bother

its hilarious those shouting loudest appear not to actually do anything more than post about it on a football forum. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

So an employer receives half a dozen identical CV's for the same job (excluding the name). I'd smell a rat. Maybe explains the low response rate ? c'mon Dr, name names then...

Again, that's not quite right. I believe even the most stupid recruiter would have noticed that.

From memory, I think they sent the same CV with the name changed multiple times, to lots of different jobs, so as to not arouse suspicion. That, though, is a flaw in the plan as the same CV wouldn't be right for lots of different jobs, which may explain the difference when it comes to interview offers...

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Again, that's not quite right. I believe even the most stupid recruiter would have noticed that.

From memory, I think they sent the same CV with the name changed multiple times, to lots of different jobs, so as to not arouse suspicion. That, though, is a flaw in the plan as the same CV wouldn't be right for lots of different jobs, which may explain the difference when it comes to interview offers...

Doesn’t seem to be a very well thought out study does it

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Again, another statement which shows why progress will never be made. If your position on an issue is absolute and immobile, that everything wrong must be the other person’s fault, a compromise can never be reached.

Indeed. Another thing that is amusing is how the claims in support of taking the knee range from it being a powerful anti racism gesture the world will see, down to why don’t people like it? it doesn’t really matter, it’s only for a few seconds and the quite brilliant well it might make people think. Even those supporting it can’t work out if it’s significance or if it’s going to make any difference. But if you don’t agree with it you just be racist 

Edited by Turkish

35 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

There's nothing "spurious" about the political issue. Regardless of what players be saying is their motivation, the knee and the phrase Black Lives Matter are both associated with BLM. That's a hideous political organisation and it's understandable that right minded people do not agree with public displays which are associated with BLM. 

If you could dismount your high horse for long enough to read and understand what people are saying, you would understand the above. Moreover, you'd understand that not one person on here who objects to the knee and/or the BLM association, is against the message of equality and social justice. The irony is that BLM does not seek those things. 

Say no to racism. Kick it out. Etc. These are all great messages. They are non political. They are not controversial. Use something like this and there'll be no objection. However, use something that's linked to the black version of the EDL, and objection will grow and more people of limited understanding will wrongly shout racism. 

34 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why did Millwall fans boo the first protest and then the following week applaud? 

The far right supporting Milwall fan was asked why they booed the knee , he explained they agreed with the portrayal of BLM by the far right in USA as extreme left wing home grown terrorists etc . So they booed the knee taking because of BLM . The next week the club issued letters to all that attended the match saying there would be a different gesture against racism which they said had no political ties and for the good of Millwall , the club, could you please behave yourselves and not boo. So they didn’t .

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What did you have an issue with? 

She labelled all current equality legislation as lefty nonsense but had little idea what else to do except perhaps look at class and geographic inequalities. Apart from her performance with trade deals that are the same or worse than what we already enjoyed when part of the EU. Let’s see what a great deal she does with India (with the help of Boris this time) who want a bit of free movement of labour as part of any deal plus access to UK Universities etc !

24 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

The far right supporting Milwall fan was asked why they booed the knee , he explained they agreed with the portrayal of BLM by the far right in USA as extreme left wing home grown terrorists etc . So they booed the knee taking because of BLM . The next week the club issued letters to all that attended the match saying there would be a different gesture against racism which they said had no political ties and for the good of Millwall , the club, could you please behave yourselves and not boo. So they didn’t .

Has there been examples in football stadiums recently of anti racism gestures that don't involve taking a knee being booed? 

Anything that makes stadiums less of a safe haven for racists and makes them get all angry is definitely time well spent.

And everyone sensible who can see the need for the message perfectly understand the differences between similarly-named campaigns, can grasp the bigger picture about football, and as a result of being informed are pretty chilled about the whole thing.

Racists like to make mischief to distract from the facts - but life is too short to get angry about nowt.

😊

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Anything that makes stadiums less of a safe haven for racists and makes them get all angry is definitely time well spent.

And everyone sensible who can see the need for the message perfectly understand the differences between similarly-named campaigns, can grasp the bigger picture about football, and as a result of being informed are pretty chilled about the whole thing.

Racists like to make mischief to distract from the facts - but life is too short to get angry about nowt.

😊

And again, you WANT to see racist abuse, you actively want it.

As for the need for the message, how effective do you think a 'no to fights outside pubs' T-shirt campaign would be? Or a 'lets end murder' billboard campaign? Or putting 'no more nonces' leaflets through every letterbox?

5 hours ago, kyle04 said:

I take it that you're on a wind up, because surely you can't be that thick.

Here's another example of some actual shocking and blatant racism. This is the sort of thing that needs to be rooted out and dealt with harshly. The fact this bloke has lost his job and will most likely be shunned for his disgusting behaviour is clear proof that Britain does not tolerate racism: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55364729

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Here's another example of some actual shocking and blatant racism. This is the sort of thing that needs to be rooted out and dealt with harshly. The fact this bloke has lost his job and will most likely be shunned for his disgusting behaviour is clear proof that Britain does not tolerate racism: 

I get it, the bloke is clearly a class one dick, but this quote from that article stands out for me :

BBC News has seen dozens of the 2,000 text messages sent between Mr Redgewell and the officer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, which were examined as part of the IOPC's investigation.

2,000 text messages?  Seriously?  Why would anyone continue engaging with a dick like that if the text messages 'made them feel dirty, really dirty'?  Surely after the first couple she would have had more than enough 'evidence' to log a complaint against him - she was also a police officer so would have been more than aware of the level of proof needed to succesfully prosecute him.  Not blocking him and not reporting him for 2 years would suggest she was, at least initially, happy to engage with him, wouldn't it?

56 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed, it’s good it’s been dealt with and proves it won’t be tolerated despite all the whining on here. Although let’s not confuse one dirty old racist man probably obsessed with a much younger woman with an entirely corrupt and racist organisation which this article alludes too in some places. 

52 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I get it, the bloke is clearly a class one dick, but this quote from that article stands out for me :

2,000 text messages?  Seriously?  Why would anyone continue engaging with a dick like that if the text messages 'made them feel dirty, really dirty'?  Surely after the first couple she would have had more than enough 'evidence' to log a complaint against him - she was also a police officer so would have been more than aware of the level of proof needed to succesfully prosecute him.  Not blocking him and not reporting him for 2 years would suggest she was, at least initially, happy to engage with him, wouldn't it?

Oh I don't disagree clearly there's two sides to that. Despite that though there's clearly some pretty shocking stuff there and I'd expect to be fired immediately if I conversed with a work colleague like that over texts.

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Completely unacceptable behaviour. Reassuring that those in charge put steps in place to catch them and then sack them. Yet more good news that racism in the UK will not be tolerated in polite society and the workplace. Racists losing their jobs and having clear consequences for their actions will do far more for tackling this sort of thing than taking a knee at the football ever will. 

The return of the Premier League saw ‘Black Lives Matter’ on the shirts, in the stands, on Sky’s broadcasting of the matches. The knee was supposed to be for the first game back. After a few weeks, the Premier League were getting uncomfortable questions about supporting the political movement, I think some clubs even issued statements distancing themselves? The Premier League denied they were supporting BLM. However, the next week, all that branding had gone, somewhat coincidentally I think we’d all agree. 

The protests throughout the summer were largely anti-police, anti-conservative and anti-establishment. From my experience, a large proportion of people who attended were there more because they were anti-government than because they were searching for genuine improvements in society around equal treatment. To then see that carried over into football is what I think has caused a divide on this topic. As mentioned, other pro-equality movements that the Premier League have engaged with have had no backlash at all. But most of those didn’t involve police being attacked, national monuments being defaced or elements of society being told they must be racist because they don’t do this or don’t do that, when plainly it’s not the case. 

Unfortunately, despite the far left shouting the loudest most of the time, most of this country are not anti-conservative, are not horribly ashamed of our history and do not hate the police. Taking the knee carries that association, and always will, rightly or wrongly. I think if the stadiums were full the dissent would be much more clear. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You seem more bothered by this than the behaviour against her? Why is that?

40 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You seem more bothered by this than the behaviour against her? Why is that?

You seem more bothered about westies comments than the fact that this incident proves that there is zero tolerance of racism. Why is that? 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Racists losing their jobs and having clear consequences for their actions will do far more for tackling this sort of thing than taking a knee at the football ever will. 

Of course it will, it’s not an either or thing though - let’s keep up with both.

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

The return of the Premier League saw ‘Black Lives Matter’ on the shirts, in the stands, on Sky’s broadcasting of the matches. The knee was supposed to be for the first game back. After a few weeks, the Premier League were getting uncomfortable questions about supporting the political movement, I think some clubs even issued statements distancing themselves? The Premier League denied they were supporting BLM. However, the next week, all that branding had gone, somewhat coincidentally I think we’d all agree. 

The protests throughout the summer were largely anti-police, anti-conservative and anti-establishment. From my experience, a large proportion of people who attended were there more because they were anti-government than because they were searching for genuine improvements in society around equal treatment. To then see that carried over into football is what I think has caused a divide on this topic. As mentioned, other pro-equality movements that the Premier League have engaged with have had no backlash at all. But most of those didn’t involve police being attacked, national monuments being defaced or elements of society being told they must be racist because they don’t do this or don’t do that, when plainly it’s not the case. 

Unfortunately, despite the far left shouting the loudest most of the time, most of this country are not anti-conservative, are not horribly ashamed of our history and do not hate the police. Taking the knee carries that association, and always will, rightly or wrongly. I think if the stadiums were full the dissent would be much more clear. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEM4F6VrRf4

Yep, the leader of the BLM with her little band of followers chanting "f*ck the police" What does this have to do with the unfair treatment of black people? Also plenty of people chanting that during the summer protests too. The sooner the political element of BLM is outed for what they really are the better, unfortunately there are still a lot of people so desperate not to appear racist they wont have  bad word said about them

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

unfortunately there are still a lot of people so desperate not to appear racist

That’s the bit you just don’t get do you. Appearing to be anti racist is what it is all about, the more that people show that they are against racist behaviour the more people who behave that way know they are in the minority and their views are unacceptable. It’s not rocket science.

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That’s the bit you just don’t get do you. Appearing to be anti racist is what it is all about, the more that people show that they are against racist behaviour the more people who behave that way know they are in the minority and their views are unacceptable. It’s not rocket science.

From the bloke who ignored racist behaviour when actually witnessing it. Report it after  you witness it, don’t just lecture people online about it. You don’t need to confront the racist then and there, but report it later at least FFS. It’s not rocket science. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

18 minutes ago, aintforever said:

A lecture on showing you’re against racist behaviour from someone who had the opportunity but didn’t, instead spending his life talking about it on a football forum laughable. You keep applauding from the sidelines pal, carrying on leaving the actual doing anything about it to others. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

From the bloke who ignored racist behaviour when actually witnessing it. Report it after  you witness it, don’t just lecture people online about it. You don’t need to confront the racist then and there, but report it later at least FFS. It’s not rocket science. 

I should have reported it but I was young, straight out of Uni in my first proper job so didn’t feel well placed to report my new boss to the old bill for saying something racist. Like you would have :lol:

I’m not lecturing anyone, just trying to explain to a simpleton the reasons why people are not just being anti-racist but SHOWING they are ant-racist.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

I should have reported it but I was young, straight out of Uni in my first proper job so didn’t feel well placed to report my new boss to the old bill for saying something racist. Like you would have :lol:

I’m not lecturing anyone, just trying to explain to a simpleton the reasons why people are not just being anti-racist but SHOWING they are ant-racist.

You gave a master class in appearing to be anti racist but doing FA about it. Hence why no one takes anything you say seriously however many laughing emojis you put out on your posts when you get out of your depth 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Things That are Racist