Yan Valery to move on?

Mr X

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He had a couple of decent preseason appearances a few years ago and looked good in a couple of youth matches, then looked decent in a couple of prem matches (i.e. the Old Trafford one), but there is something not right about him. He's not good enough for this league, bye.

The not right bit is in his psyche, I think he has a lot of talent, but seems to hold back on the pitch and maybe has the wrong attitude off it. He was ok, but when he should have kicked on it didn’t happen, if I recall there was some personal stuff then an injury. He could still be good for someone if he finds the right home and improves his approach 

Talking to a couple of blues fans in my cricket side last week the general feeling was "Valery is pretty shit".  They said it was always going to tricky to get in their side because Maxine Colin is very well liked and "if he was half a yard quicker he'd be in the Prem." Apparently they have often played with wing backs, so there has been an opportunity for Valery to come in, should he be seen as more attacking, but they have gone for the Colin because "he's just better"..."Valery is too passive"..."just not very good"...you get the idea.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

The not right bit is in his psyche, I think he has a lot of talent, but seems to hold back on the pitch and maybe has the wrong attitude off it. He was ok, but when he should have kicked on it didn’t happen, if I recall there was some personal stuff then an injury. He could still be good for someone if he finds the right home and improves his approach 

he's just too laid back. Never looks like he wants to dominate his opponent. Got the first touch for this level, but lacks that bit of bite. Can you add that to a players game? JWP learned to put his foot in when needed, so maybe you can, but whether Valery has the grit needed, I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Somebody much sharper than me has said he’s got Lemina’s squad number 👀 

Wait... have they been the same player all along?

Now it starts to make sense...

Olufunwa looks like he's got a squad number (42) and is training with the first team today. Think he's a RB.

Edited by qwertyell

44 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

No problem with that, he is better than some of the players we fielded last year.

Hes really not, hes pure shite. Couldnt even get a game at Birmingham. If we keep him its a sad reflection on our current finances

• Like 4

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hes really not, hes pure shite. Couldnt even get a game at Birmingham. If we keep him its a sad reflection on our current finances

Sorry, my mistake, he's pure shite, thank you for setting me straight, silly old me.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Or we decide to go to a back 3, he's "ok" as RWB, but a liability as a RB.

He's not OK anywhere- this ain't Sunday league football we're talking about, it's the premier league..........As another poster stated he wasn't good enough to get a game a brum yet some on here think he can do a job in the Prem. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, whiteleySaint30 said:

He's not OK anywhere- this ain't Sunday league football we're talking about, it's the premier league..........As another poster stated he wasn't good enough to get a game a brum yet some on here think he can do a job in the Prem. 

I agree he's not a premier league player, but I get the impression that something other than football reasons kept him out of the Birmingham team. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I agree he's not a premier league player, but I get the impression that something other than football reasons kept him out of the Birmingham team. 

Yeah, there have been questions over his attitude and off field stuff in the past - something else going on for sure.

But like you said, away from all that, he's not even close to being a capable PL player so I'd be pretty deflated if we're keeping him around in the squad of a PL team.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, there have been questions over his attitude and off field stuff in the past - something else going on for sure.

But like you said, away from all that, he's not even close to being a capable PL player so I'd be pretty deflated if we're keeping him around in the squad of a PL team.

He was fine as a backup, and actually was ahead of Cedric a few seasons ago.  I know he's not had a good few years, but as backup RWB, who would play 4 or 5 games a season, I think he would be ok,  But absolutely not ok as a RB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He was fine as a backup, and actually was ahead of Cedric a few seasons ago.  I know he's not had a good few years, but as backup RWB, who would play 4 or 5 games a season, I think he would be ok,  But absolutely not ok as a RB.

You still need to be able to defend as a RWB though, it doesn't automatically discount you from being part in a defensive setup - and he's just not good enough defensively in my opinion, positionally he is shocking and his concentration is equally as poor. I can see what people see in an attacking sense as he does provide some threat when he plays, has a bit of pace etc, but in my opinion his primary game should be about defending and he's rubbish at that. 

You're saying 4 or 5 games...but what if KWP has a bad injury and we need him for 3 or 4 months? That would be a disaster and it's why we need better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

You still need to be able to defend as a RWB though, it doesn't automatically discount you from being part in a defensive setup - and he's just not good enough defensively in my opinion, positionally he is shocking and his concentration is equally as poor. I can see what people see in an attacking sense as he does provide some threat when he plays, has a bit of pace etc, but in my opinion his primary game should be about defending and he's rubbish at that. 

You're saying 4 or 5 games...but what if KWP has a bad injury and we need him for 3 or 4 months? That would be a disaster and it's why we need better.

Well, IMO we sign Williams as backup to both sides, and if we need Valery then it’s as a last resort. We don’t have the money to go sign 2 more full backs. The benefit of having both KWP and Williams who can play both sides, is massive.

Plus we’ve always got January window if we need to use it, IMO we have more important positions to invest in, than a fourth choice full back. 

The fact that we were prepared to shift him out on loan for the remainder of last season and not replace him (despite trying with both Williams) or recall him when we got injuries says it all. Ralph didnt rate him then so whats changed now? Yes he may be applying himself well in pre season training, but in games he will get exposed like he has previously. The only reason I can see him staying is if we're unwilling to pay Brandon Williams loan fee and need to divert funds towards other positions. Again it would be a sad reflection of our current finances, because if we had any money about us Valery would be replaced as hes not a good enough squad option. He has regressed badly since his decent 18/19 season, which could be due to off field issues

• Like 1

Maybe they have accepted the fact they got it wrong and shouldnt have loaned him out?

Maybe they want to keep him for a 4th choice full back when Williams arrives.

IMO, he's more likely to stay if Williams joins.  I can't see him being promoted to third and only alternative full back.

On 20/07/2021 at 16:45, woodsaint1 said:

It's great having so called Saints supporters calling our young players 'pure shite', hope you are proud of yourself. Based on incorrect information. Must make you feel so good. For your information he played 7 times for Brum until Lee Bowyer came in and apparently Valery's tweets about his team mates upset the team. His tweets were accurate but his judgement was poor. Still let's all him 'utter shite'. He is not the greatest, but to be frank the only utter shite are your posts. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

It's great having so called Saints supporters calling our young players 'pure shite', hope you are proud of yourself. Based on incorrect information. Must make you feel so good. For your information he played 7 times for Brum until Lee Bowyer came in and apparently Valery's tweets about his team mates upset the team. His tweets were accurate but his judgement was poor. Still let's all him 'utter shite'. He is not the greatest, but to be frank the only utter shite are your posts. 

😂😂😂 Chill out Yan. You're not good enough, best you move on because you're just not PL quality

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

And 'for your information' 4 of those 7 appearances were for a whopping grand total of 22 mins. He only played 90 minutes twice, for a struggling championship club. In fact, when Bowyer came in and he wasnt involved they improved dramatically. Hes just not good enough 

55 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Chill out Yan. You're not good enough, best you move on because you're just not PL quality

Now that's better.. He'll make a living in football which is probably a rare event for posters on this board (apart from Monk and MLG or course..)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If it was true and proven then he'd be in prison not pre-season training.

Quite. In an internet full of gullibility, bullshit, misinformation and 'doing your own research', I still find it amazing that this needs to be said. Some people just cannot distinguish between truth and blatant defamation.

From recollection the baby was actually born well and only later succumbed to health issues some days or weeks later. At one point the mother was ranting about suing the hospital over medical negligence instead. It is one thing suffering a bereavement and then there is lashing out in search of a scapegoat.

The offending Twitter account is now deleted, I presume due to a well-worded legal letter. But yeah, sure, maybe Southampton the media and the deep state really have been colluding together on a massive cover-up for a young player on the periphery of the squad.

So disappointing how the promise when he first came in deteriorated so badly. Just a theory but could he have become disillusioned when Cedric regained his spot at rb. I thought for a while he looked like he knew he was here on sufferance. 

Perhaps he thought he was a better player.

On 15/05/2021 at 09:47, Chez said:

he's just too laid back. Never looks like he wants to dominate his opponent. Got the first touch for this level, but lacks that bit of bite. Can you add that to a players game? JWP learned to put his foot in when needed, so maybe you can, but whether Valery has the grit needed, I'm not sure.

Agree.  He oozes a lack of enthusiasm, but that might just be his 'style'.  I would have thought increasing his passion and work rate would be something a manager would be able to have a good go at.  Perhaps Ralph tried but it didn't work out.    

On 20/07/2021 at 19:28, egg said:

Bowyer took a look and didn't fancy him ahead of Colin Maxin. Brum then won a batch of games to keep them up.

I've rather have him than Bednarek at right back, but we need more competition than he provides.