Yan Valery to move on?

Mr X

when you see him show poise and composure before smashing a ball into the top corner at Old Trafford you do wonder if you have a talent on your hands, but the displays from KWP have been excellent, so it's not surprising he is looking for game time elsewhere. Not sure he will be missed, as he hasn't done enough to win the fans over yet. I am not sure we know what we have yet. He is a little too casual for me. There is room for improvement. A loan makes a lot of sense. If we sign Williams then we'd have left and right back cover.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Put in one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen against Leicester. Overall I’m not convinced he has Premier League potential.

You could say the same about every player that night, but I know what you, he was exceptionally bad.

Looked like a prospect at one time and I thought we did have something following the already mentioned Manchester United goal, but then the Leicester match and other isolated poor performances followed. Plenty of question marks hanging over him at this point in his career, whether he would be better as an attacker than a defender, as he has shown to have good technical ability, it's the defensive part and awareness that lets him down and whether he is making the right decisions off the pitch. He's close to Lemina due to the language barrier in his initial months here, which can't be helping as an influence. Either way, it looks as though those questions will be answered somewhere else.

Although showing glimpses as a wing-back, it’s never looked like he had the quality for this level IMO.

He’s a young player, so maybe he’ll progress but he looks to have too many deficiencies. Poor first touch, poor positional awareness and concentration - added to a questionable attitude, doesn’t make it very likely.

We’ve been blessed with exceptional young full backs at this club: Bridge and Shaw were particularly stand out at a very young age, even Dodd was decent and went on to make nearly 400 apps at this level. Valery is miles away from these players and I’ll be amazed if he ever amasses 100 Prem apps.

Edited by Saint Mikey

31 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Absolutely nowhere near the standard of player we should entertain being in the squad,   never mind paying him whatever it is we are paying him

Weren't we saying the same thing about vestargard six months ago? 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Weren't we saying the same thing about vestargard six months ago? 

Vestergaard is an international defender, Valery is a youth player chucked in and has shown himself to be not up to it, if Ralph thought he could improve him adequately he wouldn't have brought in a right-back who is a similar age.

He's surprisingly good on Football Manager. Seems to always get a higher average rating than KWP for some reason. Think there is a bug concerning defenders ratings on the game though, so it might be due to that rather than just MLG making the player ratings unrealistic.

In real life, he looks like a bit of an ungainly lower league winger rather than a premier league fullback. Not great touch, pretty quick and powerful but lacks positional sense, is poor at 1v1 defending, has a powerful shot and is reasonably ok-ish at crossing. but probably not much better at RB than Danso was when he played there.

He might get better one day, but I think he is too limited to be a realistic option long term.

2 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Although showing glimpses as a wing-back, it’s never looked like he had the quality for this level IMO.

He’s a young player, so maybe he’ll progress but he looks to have too many deficiencies. Poor first touch, poor positional awareness and concentration - added to a questionable attitude, doesn’t make it very likely.

We’ve been blessed with exceptional young full backs at this club: Bridge and Shaw were particularly stand out at a very young age, even Dodd was decent and went on to make nearly 400 apps at this level. Valery is miles away from these players and I’ll be amazed if he ever amasses 100 Prem apps.

Not forgetting Bale, Kenna and Baird

When he first came in, I think we saw a couple of glimpses which suggested there might be a good player in there, (mind you anything was better than Cedric at that point) but as time went on he just didn't improve and more than once up against a reasonable attack he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Frightened almost. 

Edited by Saint Keef

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Put in one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen against Leicester. Overall I’m not convinced he has Premier League potential.

What is worse, he didn't look very interested in doing much, going through the motions and jogging back, getting into position in time for the next kick off.

No idea whether the supposed issues in his private life have caused a problem.

I was actually really excited about him in his first season, when he was keeping Cedric out the side playing RWB. He’s not good enough defensively (mainly positionally) to play in a back 4 in my opinion. 

I’d like to see him go out on loan somewhere and play every week, either in a back 5 or further forward as a RM/RW.  But gut feeling is that he will never be good enough to play in the premier league for a top half side.

• Like 1

I'd like to see him against Shrewsbury. if he has put his personal problems behind him then he can still provide good cover for KWP as he is a good athelete. The suggestion seems to be that he needs to work harder or be more disciplined - both can be coached if the will is there from the player's side. Going out on loan would not be a good solution though if it looks like he is mentally fragile.

On 03/01/2021 at 10:20, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Needs to go somewhere that plays attacking wing backs or re-establish himself further forward. He's very good on the ball.

On 03/01/2021 at 10:52, HarvSFC said:

Plenty of question marks hanging over him at this point in his career, whether he would be better as an attacker than a defender, as he has shown to have good technical ability, it's the defensive part and awareness that lets him down and whether he is making the right decisions off the pitch. He's close to Lemina due to the language barrier in his initial months here, which can't be helping as an influence. Either way, it looks as though those questions will be answered somewhere else.

Looks like Ralph has been reading the forums.

13 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I thought that Valery put in a good shift when he came on and was unlucky not to get the 2nd. I can see him being used further forward in front of KWP - he looks more comfortable there :)

You never know might be given a spin out v Shrewsbury ahead of KWP - gives Theo the Weekend off, and with Redmond and Djenepo looking a bit dicky for a few weeks eases the load on Walcott and Armstrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

You never know might be given a spin out v Shrewsbury ahead of KWP - gives Theo the Weekend off, and with Redmond and Djenepo looking a bit dicky for a few weeks eases the load on Walcott and Armstrong. 

I'll be shocked if KWP plays, he's played every minute of the season so far I believe and has out a huge amount of effort in.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Didn’t Sky commentator  say KWP suspended for Leicester game so Valery will play I assume.

Hopefully better than last time.

The very thought just made me shudder.  Valery was great last night but I never want to see him at right back in a premier league game, especially up against Vardy and Barnes.

1 minute ago, Saint-Reece said:

KWP didn't get booked last night as far as I remember anyway? Everything I check lists Bertrand as our only booking - so KWP will be fine for next match.

Assuming the suspension would have been for the Shrewsbury game, then it's just plain negligent to not get a tactical yellow!

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Assuming the suspension would have been for the Shrewsbury game, then it's just plain negligent to not get a tactical yellow!

To be fair, on that I think the rules have changed and accumulation of yellows in the PL and a suspension is only for the next PL game - doesn't carry over to cup comp's anymore. I will await MLG or someone else to shoot me down though! :) 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 22:17, Saint Garrett said:

No idea whether the supposed issues in his private life have caused a problem.

I was actually really excited about him in his first season, when he was keeping Cedric out the side playing RWB. He’s not good enough defensively (mainly positionally) to play in a back 4 in my opinion. 

I’d like to see him go out on loan somewhere and play every week, either in a back 5 or further forward as a RM/RW.  But gut feeling is that he will never be good enough to play in the premier league for a top half side.

Looked much more comfortable last night further forward. Doesnt seem to sprint though, although I thought he came on and did well last night, there was one moment they broke, and he just jogged back, can't imagine Ralph being impressed with that.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

"The Frenchman has spent the second half of this season out on loan, playing for Birmingham in the Championship."

Not since early March he hasn't. The last time he was in a squad was 13 March, and he was an unused sub. Seems to have had a falling out with Lee Bowyer, no idea if he is still there or whether he actually returned to Saints (just seen comment above that he is France). Twitter comments seem to have been his downfall.

35 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

"The Frenchman has spent the second half of this season out on loan, playing for Birmingham in the Championship."

Not since early March he hasn't. The last time he was in a squad was 13 March, and he was an unused sub. Seems to have had a falling out with Lee Bowyer, no idea if he is still there or whether he actually returned to Saints (just seen comment above that he is France). Twitter comments seem to have been his downfall.

He had a couple of decent preseason appearances a few years ago and looked good in a couple of youth matches, then looked decent in a couple of prem matches (i.e. the Old Trafford one), but there is something not right about him. He's not good enough for this league, bye.