Anyone starting to look nervously at the table?

washsaint

On 21/04/2021 at 19:53, jawillwill said:

I don't think we'll go down, but I do think it will be closer than people on here seem to think. I can't see us getting another point this season. Or next season at this rate.

If we do not lose against Fulham we stay up so lets hope we get a point when we play them

16 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

With Fulham's incredible run they're on, and managerial genius (according to some on here...) Big Sam on the charge at West Brom, it's just inevitable we're going down.

I’ve not seen anyone say his a managerial genius, perhaps you could point me in the direction of these posters as I’d hate to think you just made it up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve not seen anyone say his a managerial genius, perhaps you could point me in the direction of these posters as I’d hate to think you just made it up. 

I've certainly seen SKD post that before or words to that effect. Don't have a quote

9 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I've certainly seen SKD post that before or words to that effect. Don't have a quote

You haven't got a quote because nobody has said that he's a "a managerial genius" or words to that effect. 

10 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

After that point for West Brom I'm too frightened to look at the table.Can someone let me know when this nightmare is over.

Allardyce's proud record of never being relegated now requires his side to win all four of their remaining games, beginning with a trip to Arsenal on Sunday, and hope the five teams outside the drop zone that they can still catch fail to win another match.

14 minutes ago, Kingsland Red said:

When this thread started we had 29 points. 

Currently, nearly three months later, none of the bottom three sides have reached 29 points ( or even 28 points ).

Good stat. In three months we’ve only won 8 points.

Sums up how dreadful 2021 has been for Saints and how bad the bottom three are.

• Like 1

So the Baggies are finally relegated! They put up a decent fight over the last couple of months but it was always a matter of time.

We are ever so nearly there now.

Fulham play Burnley tonight, they *could* afford a draw but would then have to win their final three games. One of which would be against us. Lose tonight and it's game over.

Even if they draw or win tonight, as long as we match their result v Palace then we can finally put this weird old season to bed.

Still utterly stacked in our favour, hopefully it will be resolved mathematically tonight!  

1 hour ago, Super_Uwe said:

So the Baggies are finally relegated! They put up a decent fight over the last couple of months but it was always a matter of time.

We are ever so nearly there now.

Fulham play Burnley tonight, they *could* afford a draw but would then have to win their final three games. One of which would be against us. Lose tonight and it's game over.

Even if they draw or win tonight, as long as we match their result v Palace then we can finally put this weird old season to bed.

Still utterly stacked in our favour, hopefully it will be resolved mathematically tonight!  

Fulham also have to go to Old Trafford, which given Utd's current form will be hard to see them getting anything. Big game for Burnley tonight as well. Lose and Fulham are only 6 behind them. Think they'll get at least a point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Fulham also have to go to Old Trafford, which given Utd's current form will be hard to see them getting anything. Big game for Burnley tonight as well. Lose and Fulham are only 6 behind them. Think they'll get at least a point.

Yes good shout re United! They have it all to do.

Most nervous night in my lifetime of supporting Saints. Pressure is unbearable so might go and do some synchronised swimming to take my mind off it. 

Edited by whelk
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

I was never worried about us going down, but only being the 17th best team in this division is worrying for next season, because we won't outspend anyone above us in the league this summer and if one of the teams coming up gets their transfers right we're in for a crappy season come August.

All the noises coming from the club seem to be that we’re desperately clinging to the ageing mediocrity that’s got us where we are. First Long, now Walcott and Bertrand. The future’s not looking much brighter.

23 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Got a feeling that this thread,s going to be relevant still this time next year.

Not really.

No one is saying we're never ever going to get relegated. 

As it stands, next season it looks incredibly likely.

Be interesting to see if any of the relegated sides hit the 29 point mark we had in December. Remember some on here saying we would need 40 points for safety. 

In all seriousness though, we're sitting 17th after being top some 20 games ago. This has to be a wakeup call to all at the club. Massive summer ahead where we need to strengthen right through the team, otherwise we're through the trap door. Hopefully we can get some investment/takeover over the line soon and help push us forward

• Like 2

Players can either relax and play well or relax because they are now on their holidays and don’t really care where they finish. Be interesting to see what happens for the last four games. Our momentum is downwards, time to reverse it, sign some strong players, move the crap on and restart afresh with some hunger. 

• Like 1

Team averaging 0.8 points per game in 'not going on a 4-match winning spree' shocker.

Had somebody insisting to me on Saturday that Fulham had a good chance of winning the lot - and utterly convinced we'd not see another point.

The bookies lengthening us to between 150/1 and 250/1 might have been a clue.

Unacceptable second half of the season, but it's done now. Time to pick through this sorry mess of a squad; hopefully we can fashion something more coherent for 21-22.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It was even earlier than that! We moved onto 29 points on the 4th January after beating Liverpool. 

I don't think the OP was looking nervously over his shoulder them - after all we had just beaten Liverpool on 4th January.