Anyone starting to look nervously at the table?

washsaint

7 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Newcastle currently winning. If it stays like it does, they'll be just 2 points behind us.

And keeps Wolves just 3 points ahead of us having played a game more #SWFselectivefacts

Edited by trousers

13 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Newcastle currently winning. If it stays like it does, they'll be just 2 points behind us.

That's our own stupid fault.  Playing them with nine men for over 20 minutes and failing to get anything out of the game is criminal.  The next couple of games are pivotal for us, but can't see us getting anything other than more drubbings.  The Newcastle game should have been at least a point and arguably three. Relegation scrap beckons soon.

Wolves bailing us out, one one. 

Edited by Micky

After Everton, we play Sheff Utd, City, Brighton, Burnley, West Brom and Palace.

If we don't get the 6 or 7 pts needed to stay up out of that run then its time to worry.

Hopefully we can get Diallo and KWP back soon and then I am convinced we will improve, especially when we go to one game a week.

Fulham have a tough couple of games coming up and Brighton's run-in is tough.

We shouldn't be in any trouble unless this poor run stretches for another 6 games.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

After City, we play Sheff Utd, City, Brighton, Burnley, West Brom and Palace.

If we don't get the 6 or 7 pts needed to stay up out of that run then its time to worry.

Hopefully we can get Diallo and KWP back soon and then I am convinced we will improve, especially when we go to one game a week.

Fulham have a tough couple of games coming up and Brighton's run-in is tough.

We shouldn't be in any trouble unless this poor run stretches for another 6 games.

**MLG MODE ACTIVATED**

We play Sheff Utd before Man City 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

25/1 now to go down. 

40/1 on most sites I'm looking at. But to be honest odds flucuate based on bets placed, so its likely come down from 80/1 purely due to the bets placed by some strange folk on here. Very odd behaviour to bet against the team you support. It must be so the usual 'I told you so' brigade can have something else to talk about

11 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

It's been a grim run, but we won't get relegated.

I wish I shared your confidence. This squad is incredibly weak psychologically and the manager doesn’t appear to have much of a plan B either through blind determination to stick to a failing system or because the players can’t adapt to anything else (some of our players lack intelligence tactically). Add in the terrible luck with injuries to key players and the run in looks very grim. I genuinely believe we could go down this season in place of Fulham.....to go top for the first time in our history and then be relegated would be so typical of ‘Ralphampton’ and the Skates would never forget it. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

40/1 on most sites I'm looking at. But to be honest odds flucuate based on bets placed, so its likely come down from 80/1 purely due to the bets placed by some strange folk on here. Very odd behaviour to bet against the team you support. It must be so the usual 'I told you so' brigade can have something else to talk about

Has anyone on here actually said that they've bet on us to go down? If so, I hope they lumped loads on and lose. Never bet against your own club. 

That said, people are entitled to take the view that we could go down. I'm confident that we won't, but if we lose the next 3, it'll get interesting. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Has anyone on here actually said that they've bet on us to go down? If so, I hope they lumped loads on and lose. Never bet against your own club. 

That said, people are entitled to take the view that we could go down. I'm confident that we won't, but if we lose the next 3, it'll get interesting. 

I put a tenner on at 100-1 and have no problem admitting it.

I have absolutely no guilt about it and I throughly hope I never see the winnings. BUT, if we do capitulate and go down then that will pay for an almighty piss-up to help me forget what just happened. 

7 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I put a tenner on at 100-1 and have no problem admitting it.

I have absolutely no guilt about it and I throughly hope I never see the winnings. BUT, if we do capitulate and go down then that will pay for an almighty piss-up to help me forget what just happened. 

Each to their own, but personally I think that benefiting from your own team getting relegated is a disgrace. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I wish I shared your confidence. This squad is incredibly weak psychologically and the manager doesn’t appear to have much of a plan B either through blind determination to stick to a failing system or because the players can’t adapt to anything else (some of our players lack intelligence tactically). Add in the terrible luck with injuries to key players and the run in looks very grim. I genuinely believe we could go down this season in place of Fulham.....to go top for the first time in our history and then be relegated would be so typical of ‘Ralphampton’ and the Skates would never forget it. 

Getting a bit fed up with all this doom and gloom - show me the posts from before Xmas when people were questioning RH’s style etc etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Each to their own, but personally I think that benefiting from your own team getting relegated is a disgrace. 

You have every right to your opinion, but at the end of the day I have no influence whatsoever in the outcome so this is more about a way of getting some kind of positive from a catastrophe.

Now players who bet against their own team, whilst also having an influence in the outcome, that to me is a disgrace... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, egg said:

Why? It’s not like you’re actively contributing to their demise. Betting on Saints to go down this season is just a very generous donation to a bookmaker but if people want to do it, that’s fine by me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Why? It’s not like you’re actively contributing to their demise. Betting on Saints to go down this season is just a very generous donation to a bookmaker but if people want to do it, that’s fine by me.

I'm surprised you feel the need to ask. 

I don't think many of us seriously expected anything other than a defeat tonight. We battled hard and made a game of it but again had no cutting edge. Even then both Djenepo and Vestergaard should have scored - those were gilt edged chances and have to be taken. If one had gone in and we'd taken a point I guess we'd all be viewing that game a little differently - it is fine margins. Ralph does need to encourage us to take more risks because we are too safe and not brave enough to get more runners in advanced position. Hence, when we work the ball forward we nearly always end up with no options other than to turn back towards our own goal - we have to mix it up more so we are less easy to defend against and then the goals and chances will come.

• Like 3

If anyone doesn;t think we haven't sleep walked into trouble I pity them.  1 win in 14 and what, 7 points?  We should be OK but difficult to see where goals are coming from (how many goals scored in the last 14, less than the 7 points I am sure?) and we have a gutless team with a manager who is too stubborn to change it up.  Seriously, what was the point of bringing Watts on after 88 minutes and leaving the indescribably hopeless Redmond on for the previous 87?

Thank god we had the points on the board early - without that start we'd be down with Sheffield Utd.

Remember last season when we said "Boy, where would we be without Ings goals?!" Well we are getting our answer now.

in this 9 game winless streak, Ings has scored 1 goal.

His performance in the last season and a half had evidently papered over a lot of cracks.

If you want to be even more cynical - 

• 2018/2019 - Ings 7 goals (16th place | 39 points)
  • 2019/2020 - ings 22 goals (11th place | 52 points)
  • 2020/2021 - Ings 8 goals (14th place | 30 points) - SO FAR

you could argue the team had been static the last 3 years with Danny's one stellar year & half being the only real difference maker.

Southampton goes, as Danny goes.

we're attempting to play a system that our players aren't good enough to execute in this league. it's clear all opposition teams know how to handle us and we just look like a lower league team going banzai in a cup game, only to get picked off when we tire or make a mistake.

I think the players are starting to show their views as they don't seem to be playing for ralph the same way they did a few months ago, body language between the players is terrible and the overall energy of the team has dipped markedly.

we've got some decent defenders and are reasonable up front but our midfield is shocking and has been for long time

the combination of a manager doggedly sticking to his preferred style and a board without the funds to invest means we will get dragged well and truly in to the relegation fight and will ultimately end up being relegated, either this season or next

the highs of 2003 followed by the lows of 2005

the highs of 2020 followed by......

No more Mr Nice Guy in the dressing room. Time for some good old-fashioned Teutonic rage with boots being kicked around in all directions.  Anything to wake them up and get them all off their arses. 

Edited by Jeremy

2 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Remember last season when we said "Boy, where would we be without Ings goals?!" Well we are getting our answer now.

in this 9 game winless streak, Ings has scored 1 goal.

His performance in the last season and a half had evidently papered over a lot of cracks.

If you want to be even more cynical - 

• 2018/2019 - Ings 7 goals (16th place | 39 points)
  • 2019/2020 - ings 22 goals (11th place | 52 points)
  • 2020/2021 - Ings 8 goals (14th place | 30 points) - SO FAR

you could argue the team had been static the last 3 years with Danny's one stellar year & half being the only real difference maker.

Southampton goes, as Danny goes.

It was the team performing well that enabled Ings to score. This papering over the cracks argument that you and others have said is false, did Liverpool just paper over the cracks for two seasons, now that some cracks have appeared up there.

Anybody remember '73/'74 ???

We were 3rd in the table, then the slide began ...... Relegated on last day of season.  Many fans saw it coming  ......but no one else believed it would happen to US

BUT ........ Ms Leibherr and the Chinese Takeaway bloke have bought well ......... we should be average in the Chumpionship

Same old story ........NO real Investment, and certainly NO AMBITION

People will only believe on the last day of This season

DeJa Vu

Why can't we attract a Saudi Prince ???

5 hours ago, Jeremy said:

No more Mr Nice Guy in the dressing room. Time for some good old-fashioned Teutonic rage with boots being kicked around in all directions.  Anything to wake them up and get them all off their arses. 

We don't know what he is like in the dressing room, he may already does that. The players may have had a gut full of the nutty tactics, team selections and unrealistic demands on their bodies.  Maybe not, I don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes.

6 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Maybe trying out your idea of giving Ings a forward leadership role might inspire him for the last few games?

9 minutes ago, SaintRichmond said:

If your a young pretty boy you probably could, just so you know we really appreciate you literally taking one for the team!

Edited by Toussaint

49 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Their next 3 matches...

image.thumb.jpeg.60bf4f4ab8bbc83410a710202e8501ca.jpeg

I would argue they would have been hoping for 7points from those games. Minimum 5.

A loss to West Brom or Brighton (in particular) would be very bad news for them. And Villa aren't anything special.

1 hour ago, SaintRichmond said:

Anybody remember '73/'74 ???

We were 3rd in the table, then the slide began ...... Relegated on last day of season.  Many fans saw it coming  ......but no one else believed it would happen to US

BUT ........ Ms Leibherr and the Chinese Takeaway bloke have bought well ......... we should be average in the Chumpionship

Same old story ........NO real Investment, and certainly NO AMBITION

People will only believe on the last day of This season

DeJa Vu

So yesterday Glasgow/Heisingberg comes back after more than a year.

And today the appearance of this FORUMS.....greatest EVER....swivel-eyed lunatic ranting away like he did five years ago when he posted last. With CAPS LOCK and.....DOTS......just like THE....old DAYS

You can tell we're right in the shit when these nutcases resurface.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never bothered with any of those daft bbc predictors or anything such like. 

But, so alarmed by our last dozen games, I thought I'd check on the one team that can bother us. Fulham. 

The good news is, they have Spuds, Pool & City in the next three. 

The bad news, the way they are playing, they could grind 13 points from the remaining games, and that's being pragmatic. 

The good news to continue that pattern is we'd recoup £7M for Lemina.

The bad news is, that's thirteen points without any surprise results, and lets be honest, this season is all about the surprises. 

So now I feel obliged to leave this on a good note. 

The club has had a massive wake up call. Gao cannot go into another season with this gamble. Ralph, who's stock was so high in November, that the whispers would have us believe that clubs had already made enquires, has had a total reset. He is not as bad as this run we are on, but he takes a share of the blame. Can we build back better? Will Danny find his true spiritual home? The coming months will tell.

Win the next game and this thread will die. That's the best I've got. 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

So yesterday Glasgow/Heisingberg comes back after more than a year.

And today the appearance of this FORUMS.....greatest EVER....swivel-eyed lunatic ranting away like he did five years ago when he posted last. With CAPS LOCK and.....DOTS......just like THE....old DAYS

You can tell we're right in the shit when these nutcases resurface.

Yep,the lunatics have taken of the asylum again 🥱

4 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Newcastle are going to be without st maximin and almiron for up to 6 weeks. Plus Wilson still out to end of march at the earliest it seems. 

So we just need Newcastle to pull a Swansea 2018

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Their next 3 matches...

Newcastle better hope to pick up some points in the next three, because after that, they have a brutal stretch.

Spurs (8)

Burnley (15)

West Ham (4)

Liverpool (6)

Arsenal (10)

Leicester (3)

City (1)

before closing out with Shef United and Fulham.

16 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I've never bothered with any of those daft bbc predictors or anything such like. 

But, so alarmed by our last dozen games, I thought I'd check on the one team that can bother us. Fulham. 

The good news is, they have Spuds, Pool & City in the next three. 

The bad news, the way they are playing, they could grind 13 points from the remaining games, and that's being pragmatic. 

The good news to continue that pattern is we'd recoup £7M for Lemina.

The bad news is, that's thirteen points without any surprise results, and lets be honest, this season is all about the surprises. 

So now I feel obliged to leave this on a good note. 

The club has had a massive wake up call. Gao cannot go into another season with this gamble. Ralph, who's stock was so high in November, that the whispers would have us believe that clubs had already made enquires, has had a total reset. He is not as bad as this run we are on, but he takes a share of the blame. Can we build back better? Will Danny find his true spiritual home? The coming months will tell.

Win the next game and this thread will die. That's the best I've got. 

Surely you did the same predictor exercise for us. If so did we grind out the 7 points to keep us safe if they manage 13?

6 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Their next 3 matches...

You could argue that those injuries have hit them at the wrong time. These are the games they needed their best players available for, but they're going to be proper depleted instead. Their run after that is pretty dreadful.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You could argue that those injuries have hit them at the wrong time. These are the games they needed their best players available for, but they're going to be proper depleted instead. Their run after that is pretty dreadful.

To be honest, I would rather they went down than Fulham

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Newcastle better hope to pick up some points in the next three, because after that, they have a brutal stretch.

Spurs (8)

Burnley (15)

West Ham (4)

Liverpool (6)

Arsenal (10)

Leicester (3)

City (1)

before closing out with Shef United and Fulham.

Yeah and without their best players they're sitting ducks. They're the ones looking at Fulham's form nervously, not us. We are better than the dross below us, we are just having the injury crisis from hell over a tricky fixture list period (Possibly Newcastle excepted) and a confidence crisis. Get KWP back and we have our first choice back 4, get Diallo back and we look strong again in midfield. Get Minamino back and we can try and get the attack sorted too. We just need the easier run of fixtures that starts with Sheffield United and also includes Brighton, Burnley, WBA, Palace after the City game to breed confidence.

Still since the start of November (since beating Newcastle, that's 4 months!) we've won twice in the League which perhaps means I'm asking too much to hit form suddenly. Maybe just eeking out draws would be ok.

Finish mid-table then learn in the summer that bad spells of injuries can happen and we need a decent squad not just a good first XI.