Anyone starting to look nervously at the table?

washsaint

17 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

It's getting exciting and embarrassing in equal measures.

I really get very little excitement from watching us continually having the lions share of possession, whilst passing the ball aimlessly around, and creating absolutely nothing in the way of scoring opportunities.  Nothing exciting whatsoever. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I was thinking about that before. But what happened the following season ? Wasn’t that another 19 game winless run. In fact I feel sure that’s the season you’re on about mate. That 89 team was superb, well at attacking anyway. Then the next season we had a good start and then collapsed before, like you say, a,late penalty against Newcastle, think it was Razor that scored. Then I think we beat Blackburn when Timmy saved a Shearer penalty. That was 90/91. Or am I wrong? 

88/89 we was the season we ended the 20 odd games without a win with the last minute penalty v Newcastle. We beat West Ham at home first game, it was the same season Cockerill got his jaw broken at Arsenal with them equalising in the 8th minute of injury time. we also drew away in both cups then lost both replays 2-1 after extra time. 

Following season we finished 7th, got knocked out of the FA cup at Liverpool after beating spurs away easily. Season after we went back to being crap I don’t think it was a really long run of winless games but a few times 4-5 games without a win, we’d win one then go again, few good results but some terrible ones as well, remember we lost 6-2 away to all ready relegated Derby right at the end of the season, Nichol got sacked a few weeks later and Rod Wallace went to Leeds. Branfoot came in and the rest we know. 

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

88/89 we was the season we ended the 20 odd games without a win with the last minute penalty v Newcastle. We beat West Ham at home first game, it was the same season Cockerill got his jaw broken at Arsenal with them equalising in the 8th minute of injury time. we also drew away in both cups then lost both replays 2-1 after extra time. 

Following season we finished 7th, got knocked out of the FA cup at Liverpool after beating spurs away easily. Season after we went back to being crap I don’t think it was a really long run of winless games but a few times 4-5 games without a win, we’d win one then go again, few good results but some terrible ones as well, remember we lost 6-2 away to all ready relegated Derby right at the end of the season, Nichol got sacked a few weeks later and Rod Wallace went to Leeds. Branfoot came in and the rest we know. 

😂 you got a better memory than me. 89/90, my favourite season ever. First season I went to all games, home and away. The Liverpool result still tops it for me, ever. Great day at QPR, passed my test in the morning, got smashed and then got literally smashed that night. 
could have finished third but lost in north London last two games.. That cup Game at Spurs was fucking top. The Liverpool game was a damp squib, but met Graham Kelly and thought I was speaking to Graham Hiley 😂 loved the 424 season  

• Like 1

Sheff U A
Brighton H
Burnley H
WBA A
Palace H

I'm looking at 7 points min from those games. That's less than half the available points, so still not amazing form - but that's not too much to ask is it? I've even factored in some horror show defeats within that lot. That'll take us to 37 points by the start of May. So, it goes to show we still have quite a bit of margin for error until you can say we are in a real relegation battle.

If by the end of that block of fixtures we are on 30-32 points, then yes, we are in a relegation battle proper for the final month of the season as we'd be sat on 16 games without a win.

I reckon we'll finish mid 40's point wise. We have Fulham H, Leeds H too - get another 3-6 points from May's available 15 (again, still not great form) and we'd be mid 40's. Feels a long way off saying that now, but we can't go on being this bad for ever. All teams have spells like this and they manage to get over it eventually and sneak a couple of wins via someone's backside. (usually against us, TBF - maybe we can play ourselves?)

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sheff U A
Brighton H
Burnley H
WBA A
Palace H

I'm looking at 7 points min from those games. That's less than half the available points, so still not amazing form - but that's not too much to ask is it? I've even factored in some horror show defeats within that lot. That'll take us to 37 points by the start of May. So, it goes to show we still have quite a bit of margin for error until you can say we are in a real relegation battle.

If by the end of that block of fixtures we are on 30-32 points, then yes, we are in a relegation battle proper for the final month of the season as we'd be sat on 16 games without a win.

I reckon we'll finish mid 40's point wise. We have Fulham H, Leeds H too - get another 3-6 points from May's available 15 (again, still not great form) and we'd be mid 40's. Feels a long way off saying that now, but we can't go on being this bad for ever. All teams have spells like this and they manage to get over it eventually and sneak a couple of wins via someone's backside. (usually against us, TBF - maybe we can play ourselves?)

Exactly. This is why there is no need to panic.

This time last year, with 25 games gone we were sat on 31 points. A whole point better off than now.

I don't think there has been a team in the last 10 years that have sat on 30 points after 25 odd games and been relegated.

And, as been said several times by me already - if only the nutcases convinced that we are relegated showed the same faith in Southampton as they do in Fulham, who have a much bigger mountain to climb than the piddly six or seven points we need from 14 games.

One season in the future we may be in Fulham's position, and I will be fascinated to see how those people respond to that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly. This is why there is no need to panic.

This time last year, with 25 games gone we were sat on 31 points. A whole point better off than now.

I don't think there has been a team in the last 10 years that have sat on 30 points after 25 odd games and been relegated.

And, as been said several times by me already - if only the nutcases convinced that we are relegated showed the same faith in Southampton as they do in Fulham, who have a much bigger mountain to climb than the piddly six or seven points we need from 14 games.

One season in the future we may be in Fulham's position, and I will be fascinated to see how those people respond to that.

Something like this I presume.

I Want To Die The End GIF by SWR3

6 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

😂 you got a better memory than me. 89/90, my favourite season ever. First season I went to all games, home and away. The Liverpool result still tops it for me, ever. Great day at QPR, passed my test in the morning, got smashed and then got literally smashed that night. 
could have finished third but lost in north London last two games.. That cup Game at Spurs was fucking top. The Liverpool game was a damp squib, but met Graham Kelly and thought I was speaking to Graham Hiley 😂 loved the 424 season  

This for me also. I was 12 years old and this happened to be my first season watching us home and away. That qpr game being my first away game. We were brilliant to watch......shocking defending, but hey, thats Saints innit. 

Also a mention to my favourite ever Matty goal. I know everyone has their own favourites,  but for me it was his second against Norwich at home. Left 3 defenders looking completely lost. Can watch that all day long. Christ......some of the goals we scored that season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Weirdly i have a very good memory of those seasons, probably because football was my life back then, these days i cant even remember our result from a month ago. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

This for me also. I was 12 years old and this happened to be my first season watching us home and away. That qpr game being my first away game. We were brilliant to watch......shocking defending, but hey, thats Saints innit. 

Also a mention to my favourite ever Matty goal. I know everyone has their own favourites,  but for me it was his second against Norwich at home. Left 3 defenders looking completely lost. Can watch that all day long. Christ......some of the goals we scored that season. 

that Norwich night game, classic HT from Le Tiss, that lob! But yeah, that second is very undererated

5 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Twisting my words now to suit your agenda.

Not twisting anything pal, one of your suggestions was to put Nathan Redmond central midfield. Your words, no one elses. Not surprised your pretending you didn't say it though

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not twisting anything pal, one of your suggestions was to put Nathan Redmond central midfield. Your words, no one elses. Not surprised your pretending you didn't say it though

Quote my post where I suggested we start a game with Redmond in central midfield. You can't can you?

21 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Quote my post where I suggested we start a game with Redmond in central midfield. You can't can you?

Now who is twisting their words. You suggested Redmond could play centre midfield to “stem the tide” you then further embarrassed yourself by saying all midfielders should be able to play any midfield role. You could just admit you were wrong rather than behaving like a drunk embarrassed by the stupid things they’d said the previous night. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Now who is twisting their words. You suggested Redmond could play centre midfield to “stem the tide” you then further embarrassed yourself by saying all midfielders should be able to play any midfield role. You could just admit you were wrong rather than behaving like a drunk embarrassed by the stupid things they’d said the previous night. 

As I said, quote my post where I suggested Redmond should start a game as a central midfielder. No need for the snide  'like a drunk' reference either - this is meant to be a place for civil discussion and for fans to voice opinions.  I get that you disagree with me so let's leave it at that and move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

As I said, quote my post where I suggested Redmond should start a game as a central midfielder. No need for the snide  'like a drunk' reference either - this is meant to be a place for civil discussion and for fans to voice opinions.  I get that you disagree with me so let's leave it at that and move on.

We actually agree. You seem to have come round to the idea that Redmond in central midfield is absurd, Well done.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We actually agree. You seem to have come round to the idea that Redmond in central midfield is absurd, Well done.

Not at all. You stated that I had suggested we start a game with Redmond in central midfield. I did not and never have.

Edited by Teddeer

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Not at all. You stated that I had suggested we start a game with Redmond in central midfield. I did not and never have.

He was one of your suggestions to play centre midfield to "stem the tide" when the game was going against us yesterday. Even 16 or hours later it sounds utterly ridiculous, but i guess you know that.

Firstly I did not specify Redmond I merely listed midfield players and his name was among them. Secondly you are implying that I suggested starting a game with Redmond playing central midfield. I didn't and never have. Maybe stop citing half truths to suit your agenda but I guess you know that.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Firstly I did not specify Redmond I merely listed midfield players and his name was among them. Secondly you are implying that I suggested starting a game with Redmond playing central midfield. I didn't and never have. Maybe stop citing half truths to suit your agenda but I guess you know that.

Okay so when you mentioned Redmond along with others who could play in central midfield to stem the tide, then going on to claim that any midfielder should be able to do the job of another midfielder just as affectively as they're all proffesional footballers what you really meant you were just listing our midfield players. Got it. Not sure why you've argued to toss about it for nearly a day then if that's all you were doing. 

I think you have to say we are in a relegation battle, purely because our form is utterly atrocious and there is little sign of it changing. 6 points from our last 11 games and 20th in the form table. Continue on that path until the end of the season and we'd end up on about 37 points...

Thankfully this season there is only really one relegation spot left to resolve. Almost certain that WBA's goal difference will do for them, regardless of any uptick in form. Sheff Utd looked like they might get their act together, but now look like they are done for tbh.

However to get relegated we will need to finish below all of Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle and Fulham. That would require a fail of epic proportions and I think we should just about have enough in the tank.

10 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Based on form over the last 10 games, Fulham are averaging 1.1 points per game and we're averaging 0.5 points. If that continues, we survive by an impossible 0.2 points. Their goal difference has also improved dramatically against ours over that period.

That Fry poster will be along shortly to fire you a rocket.

• Haha 1

On 24/02/2021 at 21:09, verlaine1979 said:

Based on form over the last 10 games, Fulham are averaging 1.1 points per game and we're averaging 0.5 points. If that continues, we survive by an impossible 0.2 points. Their goal difference has also improved dramatically against ours over that period.

I think Fulham have put the heat on the bottom half of the table. A month ago, the bottom 3 looked cast adrift. The bottom 2 still do, but Fulham are rowing the great divide. They could catch one or more, so the heat is on.

Well with Oriol out for the season that makes it just a tad more perilous. 
need diallo back ASAP,he looked very impressive. 
results are poor,performances are poor and injuries are compounding the issue....we are in a relegation battle,the sooner we all come to terms with that the better....including the players,coaching staff and owner. 
players are fragile and Ralph just said in his pre match interview it doesn’t help having a small squad....but I thought that was what he publicly stated he wanted. 

What a farce. We presently have ONE fit senior full back and ONE fit senior central midfielder.

And we chose to play the season with this bare bones of a squad.

Regardless of whether we stay up or not, heads should roll for how mismanaged the club has become. They won't, because we can't afford to sack anyone - which is another miserable reminder of how mismanaged the club has become.

• Haha 1

On Tuesday night we started with 10 senior players (Tella the 11th player) and had 5 on the bench. We had 5 senior players (counting Smallbone and Obafemi as they’ve been in the senior squad for a while now) out injured. How many senior players would a team like us, who don’t play in Europe, be expected to have sitting around outside of the squad incase of an injury crisis? I think our ‘lack of depth’ is overblown. We’ve brought in 5 players since the summer window, and only lost Hojbjerg of note. We are in a freak injury crisis, the likes of which we’ve never seen  before and probably won’t ever see again. a back up full back who can play both sides is the only area I would say has been neglected, elsewhere we’re suitably stocked. 

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

What a farce. We presently have ONE fit senior full back and ONE fit senior central midfielder.

And we chose to play the season with this bare bones of a squad.

Regardless of whether we stay up or not, heads should roll for how mismanaged the club has become. They won't, because we can't afford to sack anyone - which is another miserable reminder of how mismanaged the club has become.

Reed was an utter disaster for the club. Utterly hamstrung us when we were reaching heights fan's had only dreamed of, then tied a Wesley Hoedt (et al) shaped millstone around our necks and hired Puel, Pellegrino, and Hughes. At least he rang the changes with the academy at any rate.

15 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

On Tuesday night we started with 10 senior players (Tella the 11th player) and had 5 on the bench. We had 5 senior players (counting Smallbone and Obafemi as they’ve been in the senior squad for a while now) out injured. How many senior players would a team like us, who don’t play in Europe, be expected to have sitting around outside of the squad incase of an injury crisis? I think our ‘lack of depth’ is overblown. We’ve brought in 5 players since the summer window, and only lost Hojbjerg of note. We are in a freak injury crisis, the likes of which we’ve never seen  before and probably won’t ever see again. a back up full back who can play both sides is the only area I would say has been neglected, elsewhere we’re suitably stocked. 

Perhaps but letting go Valery, Vokins and even Slattery when we already had all these injuries was daft, whether Ralphs rates them or not.

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Reed was an utter disaster for the club. Utterly hamstrung us when we were reaching heights fan's had only dreamed of, then tied a Wesley Hoedt (et al) shaped millstone around our necks and hired Puel, Pellegrino, and Hughes. At least he rang the changes with the academy at any rate.

Glad to see that Les Reed is to blame for us not having enough full backs in the 20-21 season.

57 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Always used to work on the basis of having 2 for each position. Really that means we are short at LB, RB and CM unless you count Smallbone. LB is actually the biggest gap, because Vokins was never really considered backup, whereas Valery was. Unless they thought that McQueen was going to be back (which I doubt). 

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Stocked with abject mediocrity outside our best 12 or 13 bonafide, proven premier league players.

6 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I think Fulham have put the heat on the bottom half of the table. A month ago, the bottom 3 looked cast adrift. The bottom 2 still do, but Fulham are rowing the great divide. They could catch one or more, so the heat is on.

Even WBA under Allardyce are able to grind out a result, even with 10 men for much of the game at Burnley the other week.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Glad to see that Les Reed is to blame for us not having enough full backs in the 20-21 season.

We are handicapped on our wage bill having so many duds still to pay , not entirely Les fault though. 

Hopefully results go in our favour this weekend. Zaha out for Palace, I fancy Fulham to get at least a point there. 

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

McCarthy, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Romeu, Ings were all signed by Les Reed. How do you rate them as signings?

17 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I wish we had mediocre LB and RB backups.

I notice that neither of our on loan LB & RB backups have failed again to make the first 11 of teams in League 1 and struggling in the championship. They are both on the bench again. 

6 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We are struggling at the moment and it seems inconceivable that we won't limp over the line. For me the Sheffield United game is crucial. Lose that one and we deserve to go down.

We only deserve to go down if we finish on the bottom three 

8 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We are struggling at the moment and it seems inconceivable that we won't limp over the line. For me the Sheffield United game is crucial. Lose that one and we deserve to go down.

I agree, Sheff Utd is the big one, chance to change our fortunes and might coincide with Diallo, KWP being back. 

They were discussing this week's fixtures on tv and I noticed Sheff Utd play Liverpool on Sunday night, Villa on Wednesday evening then us on Saturday, tough week for them.