Anyone starting to look nervously at the table?

washsaint

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just remember the twats on this forum that were willing us to chuck our FA Cup games away because they were shitting themselves about bloody Fulham.

Pathetic.

This ^ 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Just remember the twats on this forum that were willing us to chuck our FA Cup games away because they were shitting themselves about bloody Fulham.

Pathetic.

Agreed. If we do make the final, it would be good to see a list of all the ones who wanted us to bin off the cup.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Pathetic.

Whilst I agree with the point, let's not start being massive twats to fellow fans eh?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Once Fulham have dropped enough points to help secure Saints' safety we'll be able to relax I suppose. Must admit that I'm finding it hard to see where Saints next points are coming from so hopefully the fat lady will be warbling a happy tune by the time they come up against Fulham.

That form table for 2021 is shocking though. Nailed on relegation stuff and who honestly can say that next season is not going to be a struggle to stay up if things carry on like this? The whole club seems to be in a shocking state.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Just for reference, this thread was started with Fulham 11 points behind us in February. 2.5 months and 10 games later, they've come roaring up to 9 points behind us.

And to add to that, we also have a game in hand against Palace (plus we play Fulham at home). Personally, I don't see Fulham getting anymore than 34 points.

Not really sure why this thread has been bumped again to be honest. There's more chance of Diana coming back to life.

Edited by S-Clarke

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Just for reference, this thread was started with Fulham 11 points behind us in February. 2.5 months and 10 games later, they've come roaring up to 9 points behind us.

.....and at the start of the thread people were looking at Fulham's fixtures and just seeing win after win after win.

Now here we are with Fulham scoring four entire goals in eight matches and four defeats in the last five and some people still look at Fulham's fixtures and see win after win.

Next season, God forbid, if it is Southampton Football Club in 18th place, barely scoring and on 27 points five points adrift, let's see how those exact same people respond then. Let's see how many wins they can envisage then. The enthusiasm and belief will be, like sooo infectious won't it??

Best case scenario we pick up a draw plus a couple of wins against Palace and Fulham between now and the end of the season. After last night however, I would happily downgrade that target to a draw and a win against one of those two to scrape 40 points. Sadly my optimism is dwindling away. We may be safe now but this does not bode well for next season and at this rate, Hasenhuttl will be lucky to reach three years here. He has turned it around before so I very much hope he will do it again.

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

And to add to that, we also have a game in hand against Palace (plus we play Fulham at home). Personally, I don't see Fulham getting anymore than 34 points.

Not really sure why this thread has been bumped again to be honest. There's more chance of Diana coming back to life.

Can she play in midfield ahead of Diallo or Jankewitz?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Best case scenario we pick up a draw plus a couple of wins against Palace and Fulham between now and the end of the season. After last night however, I would happily downgrade that target to a draw and a win against one of those two to scrape 40 points. Sadly my optimism is dwindling away. We may be safe now but this does not bode well for next season and at this rate, Hasenhuttl will be lucky to reach three years here. He has turned it around before so I very much hope he will do it again.

Can she play in midfield ahead of Diallo or Jankewitz?

One thing we don't need is any more zombies!

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Don’t care what anyone says, I’ll be watching the wba result with interest.

Fair enough mate, our results aren't helping but I just feel that our start gave us that cushion. If you look over the weeks that cushion hasn't really disappeared, that's been our saving grace really.

We've won 2 in 16 games or something and we're still well away from it, and that included Fulham winning 2 out of 3 and WBA winning 2 on the trot (and beating us). It's going to be incredibly tricky for either of those two to overtake Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle to then land a punch on us. Just too much for them to do, in my opinion.

Next season - totally different story!

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Fair enough mate, our results aren't helping but I just feel that our start gave us that cushion. If you look over the weeks that cushion hasn't really disappeared, that's been our saving grace really.

We've won 2 in 16 games or something and we're still well away from it, and that included Fulham winning 2 out of 3 and WBA winning 2 on the trot (and beating us). It's going to be incredibly tricky for either of those two to overtake Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle to then land a punch on us. Just too much for them to do, in my opinion.

Next season - totally different story!

Nice to get a non-snarky comment back. 

I largely agree, mate.  I just look at the thread title and have I nervously looked at the table in the last few months?  Yes!

It's remarkable that we needed Champions League form for half the season to stay up!  Only Saints could feature in 2 Sky articles within 2 months of each other with us featuring in the run for the title AND the run-in for relegation :D.  

What scares me is how we need to do a fair bit of strengthening, but without a proverbial pot.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Nice to get a non-snarky comment back. 

I largely agree, mate.  I just look at the thread title and have I nervously looked at the table in the last few months?  Yes!

It's remarkable that we needed Champions League form for half the season to stay up!  Only Saints could feature in 2 Sky articles within 2 months of each other with us featuring in the run for the title AND the run-in for relegation :D.  

What scares me is how we need to do a fair bit of strengthening, but without a proverbial pot.

I still think there's more chance of Diana awakening from the dead 😉

Maybe I've just been too confident, but i've never really felt 'too' worried to be honest. I can't remember exactly, but I think we had an 18 point gap from the bottom 3 at one point this season - so that was always going to be a tall order to overhaul. Honestly, we are so fortunate we had that start - and we never usually start seasons well, so god help us next year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I still think there's more chance of Diana awakening from the dead 😉

Maybe I've just been too confident, but i've never really felt 'too' worried to be honest. I can't remember exactly, but I think we had an 18 point gap from the bottom 3 at one point this season - so that was always going to be a tall order to overhaul. Honestly, we are so fortunate we had that start - and we never usually start seasons well, so god help us next year.

I just hope that we’re all allowed in to see it.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think there's any chance of it happening, but skybet are still offering me a £43 cash out for my £20 bet on us to be relegated. Our next 3 games are Leciester, Liverpool and then Fulham...and Fulham are exactly 9 point behind us right now.

Fucking cash that out straight away! You will lose £20

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 20:08, Saint_clark said:

I don't think there's any chance of it happening, but skybet are still offering me a £43 cash out for my £20 bet on us to be relegated. Our next 3 games are Leciester, Liverpool and then Fulham...and Fulham are exactly 9 point behind us right now.

You should have cashed out weeks ago.

On 23/04/2021 at 20:08, Saint_clark said:

Christ, what odds did you place it at? They're still offering 50/1 now. If I can stick £20 on now and get an immediate £43 cash out I'll keep doing it over and over again.

Fulham at best will get 3 wins out of 5. Even that is not likely. Still only puts them level with us. I can see us picking up at least one point somewhere. Again West Brom looking at their fixtures at best being 2 wins. Will take something mad to see us going down (puts safety bet on for when this bites me in the arse).

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not if we have more points/better GD than at least three other teams at the end of the season.

Thanks for the clarification MLG.

What if we go into administration half an hour after the final whistle on the last day? Or we are found to have committed some other serious breach of rules, resulting in a points deduction?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Thanks for the clarification MLG.

What if we go into administration half an hour after the final whistle on the last day? Or we are found to have committed some other serious breach of rules, resulting in a points deduction?

Or get deducted points for LMF (Lack of moral fibre) and receive a white feather.

44 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Interesting to see in the Guardian's 'Knowledge' article that if you removed the 'big 6' from the premier league Saints would have been champions in season 14-15.

I suspect this was done by just taking the final positions. But it would have been the case if their results were expunged as well, we would have been 7 points clear of Swansea, thanks mainly to an outstanding home record, W10 D2 L1 Gf 31 Ga 3. If only we had a home record like that again. We also won 2 drew 1 and lost 3 against the Gang of 6 (I find it difficult to include Arsenal under the label of "Big 6"). 

It's very difficult to see us going down now with 36 points. Fulham realistically need a minimum of 6 points from their next three games. But if we fail to pick up any points before the Fulham game and they then beat us, we would be very vulnerable going into the last couple of games.

The vast majority of outcomes are still well in our favour, which is good!

But there is a recent precedent, remember Swansea in 2017/18? Their bellyflop over the line with 2 points from their last 8 league games went a long way to keeping us up.

10 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

It's very difficult to see us going down now with 36 points. Fulham realistically need a minimum of 6 points from their next three games. But if we fail to pick up any points before the Fulham game and they then beat us, we would be very vulnerable going into the last couple of games.

The vast majority of outcomes are still well in our favour, which is good!

But there is a recent precedent, remember Swansea in 2017/18? Their bellyflop over the line with 2 points from their last 8 league games went a long way to keeping us up.

If any team can contrive to not take full advantage of the schedule, it's us, but we play Fulham on a Wednesday night and they have a game on the Monday night of that week as well (Burnley at home), so they will only have 2 days recovery time.

21 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

The other way of looking at it is after 33 matches Swansea already had six more points on the board than Fulham have now, also with five matches to go.

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The other way of looking at it is after 33 matches Swansea already had six more points on the board than Fulham have now, also with five matches to go.

Absolutely. The odds are very much in our favour.

I'm not confident we will sort our own form out, but even that shouldn't be enough to allow Fulham to catch us now.

Almost there now, still looking likely we could end up 17th though which is still terrible but at least we survive for another season in the best league in the world 

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Another barnstorming leap towards premier league safety for Fulham today, they’re tearing up the form book and look certs for overtaking us and condemning us to relegation!! 🤣

Even now, and I guarantee this, there will be Saints fans looking at Fulham's remaining fixtures, and seeing nothing but win after win after win after win.

Like the Japanese jungle soldiers still fighting WW2 in 1975, there will still be fans on this forum that decided on one story and one story alone: Fulham will beat us in May, securing their safety and our relegation. They've been convinced of this since Fulham beat Liverpool. It doesn't matter how many matches Fulham lose, they will never let it go. 

Because Saints did some great escapes in the 90s, Fulham will. Fulham will win and win and win.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Even now, and I guarantee this, there will be Saints fans looking at Fulham's remaining fixtures, and seeing nothing but win after win after win after win.

Like the Japanese jungle soldiers still fighting WW2 in 1975, there will still be fans on this forum that decided on one story and one story alone: Fulham will beat us in May, securing their safety and our relegation. They've been convinced of this since Fulham beat Liverpool. It doesn't matter how many matches Fulham lose, they will never let it go. 

Because Saints did some great escapes in the 90s, Fulham will. Fulham will win and win and win.

But what about WBA?? 🙂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well done, you banged one more tune out of your “ hilarious” Fulham spoof!  

• Haha 1

On 29/04/2021 at 12:17, vince said:

If any team can contrive to not take full advantage of the schedule, it's us, but we play Fulham on a Wednesday night and they have a game on the Monday night of that week as well (Burnley at home), so they will only have 2 days recovery time.

Fulham play Burnley on the 10th and play Saints on the 15th.