Anyone starting to look nervously at the table?

washsaint

Watching Fulham completely outplay Everton today and one Harrison Reed looking outstanding, is it time to start nervously looking at the table as Fulham look a pretty good team, and have done for some time?  Their finishing has held them back (like Saints) but they look very good today.

Obviously the answer to the original question is 'no' but I'm sure plenty on here will say 'yes'.

35 points is probably enough this year which means 6 points from our final 15 games.  

That being said I predict 0 points from our next 3 with the way we are playing.  Just hope Forster comes back in goal and gives some confidence and stability to the back line.

We overachieved at the start of the season and are now underachieving.  But it does look like we will struggle to match our points tally last season.

Look at Fulhams next three games. 

Burnley 

Sheff Utd 

Crystal palace

They're not a bad side, if they get to within 6 points of us by the time we play them will become massive. 

If we extend our record defeats run next week v Chelsea and if KWP is out for couple of months then we can start to get dragged into it. 

We'll probably be ok but the Amazon pundits were talking about us in relation to relegation in the context of our collapse in form. 

(h) Chelsea

(a) Leeds

(a) Everton

(a) Sheffied United

(h) Brighton

(h) Burnely

(a) WBA

(h) Palace

(h) Leicester

(a) Liverpool

(h) Fulham

(h) Leeds

(a) West Ham

Two fixtures not arranged yet. Man City away (no points) and Spurs away (no points).

Bolded games are the ones in which I think we've got a decent shot a winning. The Burnely to Palace run comes in a quiet April where we presently only have three fixtures, so plenty of time to rest and prepare between games. That might be our key period.

Wouldn't want Fulham in May to come down to a must-win status.

A couple of wins and a couple of draws should keep the pack at bay. At present, it'd just be nice to get another point on the board.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Looking at Fulham's remaining fixtures they will do well to amass 16 points which would give them 34 total. I'm sure we'll get more than that even allowing for the current dreadful run.

You'd like to think so. 

Newcastle will be looking over their shoulders as well with some key players injured. 

Will see how it goes, IF Fulham beat Burnley and Sheff Utd and we lose to Chelsea then come Saturday night we'll be 5 points clear of the drop (and most likely with a worse goal difference) 

1 hour ago, washsaint said:

Watching Fulham completely outplay Everton today and one Harrison Reed looking outstanding, is it time to start nervously looking at the table as Fulham look a pretty good team, and have done for some time?  Their finishing has held them back (like Saints) but they look very good today.

Obviously the answer to the original question is 'no' but I'm sure plenty on here will say 'yes'.

35 points is probably enough this year which means 6 points from our final 15 games.  

That being said I predict 0 points from our next 3 with the way we are playing.  Just hope Forster comes back in goal and gives some confidence and stability to the back line.

We overachieved at the start of the season and are now underachieving.  But it does look like we will struggle to match our points tally last season.

Fulham's last win in the league was 30th November. So just the two and a half months between wins. What a wonder-team they must be.

I said elsewhere that if that was Saints with three wins and Saints with 18 points from 23 games, then I doubt this forum would be expressing the same starry eyed belief about how wonderful our prospects are in the league as people now seem to be doing with Fulham.

• Like 1

You could get 500/1 odds from William Hill earlier this evening, I think they are offering 50/1 now. Someone is still offering 100/1. So to answer your question, no I think it is wildly unlikely. I did still put £30 on at 500/1 though, might see if I can make a couple of hundred paying out after we lose to Chelsea, wouldn't recommend holding those bets forever, we looked better than Villa and Wolves without a reffing nightmare so we will bounce back soon when we get competent officials.

14 minutes ago, benjii said:

We could lose every match from now on and I think we would still finish above WBA and Sheff U and we'd probably also have about a 40% chance of finishing above Fulham too.  

Maybe we will lose 21 matches in a row and stay up.

In this record breaking period anything could happen 

11 hours ago, qwertyell said:

(h) Chelsea

(a) Leeds

(a) Everton

(a) Sheffied United

(h) Brighton

(h) Burnely

(a) WBA

(h) Palace

(h) Leicester

(a) Liverpool

(h) Fulham

(h) Leeds

(a) West Ham

Two fixtures not arranged yet. Man City away (no points) and Spurs away (no points).

Bolded games are the ones in which I think we've got a decent shot a winning. The Burnely to Palace run comes in a quiet April where we presently only have three fixtures, so plenty of time to rest and prepare between games. That might be our key period.

A couple of wins and a couple of draws should keep the pack at bay. At present, it'd just be nice to get another point on the board.

image.png.16217bc603f195c6fc58c9ae04f5b7c0.png

I think we will be OK, but current on form it doesn't look brilliant. The reason saints have survived late on so many times over the years is when the middling teams have nothing left to play for you can pick up lots more points per game, those already in the fight will be ready for this, we seem to have no fight. Like I said, I think we will be OK. But... there is often one seemingly safe team that nosedives after Christmas

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

We will scrape at least 2 wins more this season. 

Next season is the big worry, one team always seems to bomb after a good start and this season looks like us. Generally means a shite next season too.

Yes it is, if we haven't got the money to add a few quality players  and carry on this form next season we could be struggling.

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

image.png.16217bc603f195c6fc58c9ae04f5b7c0.png

I think we will be OK, but current on form it doesn't look brilliant. The reason saints have survived late on so many times over the years is when the middling teams have nothing left to play for you can pick up lots more points per game, those already in the fight will be ready for this, we seem to have no fight. Like I said, I think we will be OK. But... there is often one seemingly safe team that nosedives after Christmas

Failing to get anything from a woeful 9 man Newcastle side fills me with zero confidence.

14 hours ago, washsaint said:

Why do people think Forster's going to solve all our problems? He'd got decent shot stopping and reactions, but his distribution and command of area are very poor. Mcarthy's been relatively steady if unspectacular and I don't see him breading nervousness into the back line which I think Forster tends to do more.

Would rather see Redmond dropped and Adams restored to the staring line up, or at least for the coaches to teach Redmond how to connect with, and deliver crosses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, washsaint said:

Not at all

20 hours ago, qwertyell said:

(h) Chelsea

(a) Leeds

(a) Everton

(a) Sheffied United

(h) Brighton

(h) Burnely

(a) WBA

(h) Palace

(h) Leicester

(a) Liverpool

(h) Fulham

(h) Leeds

(a) West Ham

If you don't think we've got a decent shot of beating Leeds either home or away I'm not sure I can help you. 

We'll stay up easily. And hopefully have a cup final. But in an empty stadium. 

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

No i'm just thoroughly depressed we're likely going end up in the bottom half when top 8 looked an achievable goal relatively recently.

Fingers crossed we can somehow turn up in the remaining cup games.

"thoroughly depressed". Blimey, have some perspective. We're the footy equivalent of an average looking bloke who had a bit of fun with a woman way out of his league before ending up with someone at his level. Take the positives, we had a bit of fun. 

• Haha 1

Agree we will probably be safe this year, just next season is the major worry. We will probably have to cash in on JWP and Ings to improve on the areas that we are desperately lacking in, which will in turn leave as weaker in the midfield and attacking departments. After such a strong start it's looking increasingly likely that we will end up going backwards in terms of league position from last season. Reckon will we end up 15/16/17th. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

"thoroughly depressed". Blimey, have some perspective. We're the footy equivalent of an average looking bloke who had a bit of fun with a woman way out of his league before ending up with someone at his level. Take the positives, we had a bit of fun. 

Bit of fun = we went out for a drink in a smart bar, then she went to the loo, climbed out the window and did a runner. 

• Haha 1

I'll continue to be confident as long as Ralph is in charge.  He's turned us in to utter chaos, but when we're in form we're very good and over the course of the season we'll turn out pretty good.  Selling a couple of crown jewels and strengthening the depth of the squad seems sensible.

If he leaves I'll worry.

9 hours ago, st alex said:

Why do people think Forster's going to solve all our problems? He'd got decent shot stopping and reactions, but his distribution and command of area are very poor. Mcarthy's been relatively steady if unspectacular and I don't see him breading nervousness into the back line which I think Forster tends to do more.

Would rather see Redmond dropped and Adams restored to the staring line up, or at least for the coaches to teach Redmond how to connect with, and deliver crosses.

Have to agree with this. Only a few seasons ago fans were calling for Forster to be dropped and McCarthy to play.

Mind you some fans are also thinking we are in a relegation scrap and some how Fulham, who have won 3 games all season, are going to overtake an 11 point gap and finish above us.

Edited by IFHP

Not worried about this season, Just disappointed that there seemed a genuine chance of a top 7 finish, and possibly a push for Europe.

Making up the numbers will prove a bridge too far us eventually though, perhaps next season once we say goodbye to the likes of Ings and Vestergaard barring some proper investment into the club.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agree we will probably be safe this year, just next season is the major worry. We will probably have to cash in on JWP and Ings to improve on the areas that we are desperately lacking in, which will in turn leave as weaker in the midfield and attacking departments. After such a strong start it's looking increasingly likely that we will end up going backwards in terms of league position from last season. Reckon will we end up 15/16/17th. 

Im not anti JWP but apart from some superb free kicks does he make many telling defence splitting passes, does he score from open play. Yes he very good at breaking up the play and looking tidy. So if we sold him Im not 100% sure that as long as we spent the money well it would be a bad thing. I also feel that Ryan is lacking and whilst important at the moment I think he has had his day. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, egg said:

We didn’t get the fanny though.

😔

Edited by benjii

12 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Not worried about this season, Just disappointed that there seemed a genuine chance of a top 7 finish, and possibly a push for Europe.

Making up the numbers will prove a bridge too far us eventually though, perhaps next season once we say goodbye to the likes of Ings and Vestergaard barring some proper investment into the club.

We are a bang average PL club. We are not any different to the likes of Burnley and Crystal palace and not that far ahead of Norwich and West Brom. The likes of Everton and West Ham are just ahead of us because they do spend money and do try and compete, even though that rarely makes a difference. Our season, like the others could equally consist of relegation, mid table mediocracy or pushing for a top 7 spot and Europe. We'll have the odd cup run and maybe get to a final but we will more than likely lose to a top six club.  We will get some good players and a good manager but they will leave for bigger clubs with more  money and ambition. If they do not leave, they aren't that good. We will buy a lot of shit players and waste most of our incoming money. If we are playing well, no one will mention the owner but when we lose, the owner will no longer be required. An our fans are like all other football fans, fantasists and unrealistic and fickle as fuck.

7 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

We are a bang average PL club. We are not any different to the likes of Burnley and Crystal palace and not that far ahead of Norwich and West Brom. The likes of Everton and West Ham are just ahead of us because they do spend money and do try and compete, even though that rarely makes a difference. Our season, like the others could equally consist of relegation, mid table mediocracy or pushing for a top 7 spot and Europe. We'll have the odd cup run and maybe get to a final but we will more than likely lose to a top six club.  We will get some good players and a good manager but they will leave for bigger clubs with more  money and ambition. If they do not leave, they aren't that good. We will buy a lot of shit players and waste most of our incoming money. If we are playing well, no one will mention the owner but when we lose, the owner will no longer be required. An our fans are like all other football fans, fantasists and unrealistic and fickle as fuck.

Sadly this is to the point as much as it hurts. The pointless support of our club is a bit futile really. Ive had enough of the decades of week ends being ruined, not wanting to even watch us as I get so wound up during and after. Football generally has lost its way and as many had suggested VAR has deadened the thrill of scoring as you have to wait for it to be assessed. There are just as many if not more contentious decisions now and as there is a human with their own prejudices making the final decision it is still a poor system. I was in charge of the VAR against Pompey or Liverpool etc you can still make the 50-50's go against a team etc etc 

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Sadly this is to the point as much as it hurts. The pointless support of our club is a bit futile really. Ive had enough of the decades of week ends being ruined, not wanting to even watch us as I get so wound up during and after. Football generally has lost its way and as many had suggested VAR has deadened the thrill of scoring as you have to wait for it to be assessed. There are just as many if not more contentious decisions now and as there is a human with their own prejudices making the final decision it is still a poor system. I was in charge of the VAR against Pompey or Liverpool etc you can still make the 50-50's go against a team etc etc 

I'm not so bothered about the lack of money or ambition that is in our club, at the end of the day, if you are supporting your local team, then it's by luck and I guess been born a Saints supporter is better luck than being born a Halifax supporter. There are plenty of clubs and fans that would take what we have. However, you are right in respect of VAR, it is seriously undermining real old school football fans and this exclusion will only serve purpose to see the likes of my generation just say 'fuck it', and not go back. It's a lot easier to do now than ever before. I am so tempted to be honest. Even my 17 year old son is pissed off with it and he's like any blind football mad kid, but even he is saying, 'what's the point?' Not sure the EPL or FA actually realise that they are undermining the roots of football when we can all go back, i swear that apart from the usual suspects, a lot of grounds will be half full. If it was not for a good bunch of lads that i meet up with, and especially away games, I really would not be going back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I'm not so bothered about the lack of money or ambition that is in our club, at the end of the day, if you are supporting your local team, then it's by luck and I guess been born a Saints supporter is better luck than being born a Halifax supporter. There are plenty of clubs and fans that would take what we have. However, you are right in respect of VAR, it is seriously undermining real old school football fans and this exclusion will only serve purpose to see the likes of my generation just say 'fuck it', and not go back. It's a lot easier to do now than ever before. I am so tempted to be honest. Even my 17 year old son is pissed off with it and he's like any blind football mad kid, but even he is saying, 'what's the point?' Not sure the EPL or FA actually realise that they are undermining the roots of football when we can all go back, i swear that apart from the usual suspects, a lot of grounds will be half full. If it was not for a good bunch of lads that i meet up with, and especially away games, I really would not be going back. 

I think my attitude is being affected by the current malaise of our PL results of course

3 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

As we said they other day though in the ground there are a large section of fans who love it. Before lockdown you'd have groups of fans chanting "VAR, VAR" at every decision. It's highlighted now because so many games are on telly with no fans present, but when we go back to normality it'll be part of the game with lots of fans and the media enjoying the pantomime. The camera will love the "drama" of highlighting celebrating fans when a penalty decision is over turned at Anfield or Old Trafford. They've love showing disappointed fans faces at smaller clubs when decisions go against them. VAR was meant to get rid of controversy, but it's made things worse, every week there is a shocking decision with everyone talking about it. The vast majority of the TV audience only cares about the big clubs so as long as they are the right side of most decisions, which they always seem to be and this keeps them at the top of the table then the Premier League has their product everything else is just a side show.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As we said they other day though in the ground there are a large section of fans who love it. Before lockdown you'd have groups of fans chanting "VAR, VAR" at every decision. It's highlighted now because so many games are on telly with no fans present, but when we go back to normality it'll be part of the game with lots of fans and the media enjoying the pantomime. The camera will love the "drama" of highlighting celebrating fans when a penalty decision is over turned at Anfield or Old Trafford. They've love showing disappointed fans faces at smaller clubs when decisions go against them. VAR was meant to get rid of controversy, but it's made things worse, every week there is a shocking decision with everyone talking about it. The vast majority of the TV audience only cares about the big clubs so as long as they are the right side of most decisions, which they always seem to be and this keeps them at the top of the table then the Premier League has their product everything else is just a side show.

Depressing thought but nailed on correct

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep, only sustainable if the fans do embrace it and embrace the 'pantomime' circus of it. People like me and you will never embrace it, so the question is, will there be enough others to? Obviously, if there is, they won't worry about me and you spending saturdays etc. playing golf but I think that long term, it might be the demise of football, certainly in its present form. But i might be being naïve on that.

• Like 1