International Saints

TWar

6 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I dunno why but I won’t be happy unless we get...the magic number that is 9

Kind of goes to show how bad and embarrassing those 2 9-0 defeats are if even this San Marino team avoid it... 

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Not sure what you mean by this, he got his chance and got a red and a three game suspension. He is clearly talented but he squandered a chance big time. I'm sure he will get more. Regarding Stephens, maybe Ralph didn't want to throw Jankewitz in at the deep end given what happened at united so didn't pick him for what was expected to be a very tricky game against City. Just because Stephens played one game at cm doesn't mean jankewitz is definitely behind him. 

3-0 up in a cup game with 5 subs, against championship team (who were poor), would  have been the perfect time to bed him in again. 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Southampton have lost 9-0 more times in the last two seasons than San Marino.

Christ, some statistic that. Sort of puts the United one into perspective as well, doesn’t it. Even with 10 men and many injuries. That side was stronger than San Marino’s. 

Just now, SKD said:

Christ, some statistic that. Sort of puts the United one into perspective as well, doesn’t it. Even with 10 men and many injuries. That side was stronger than San Marino’s. 

Not excusing our two 9-0 losses which are horrendous but how many games have San Marino played in that time?

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Not really. Just a fun little freak of statistics. Teams generally don't try that hard against San Marino from kick off, let alone when they're 5+ goals up.

8 minutes ago, nta786 said:

4 substitutions for England but JWP isn’t one of them :) 

Not sure what to read into that.

The way I look at it, is the ones Southgate took off are being rested as they're dead starters for at least the next game.

Bit like Ings, he played the full 90 in the first England game then didn't play again for the remaining 2.

I'd have seen it as a better sign if Prowse had come off, if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

The way I look at it, is the ones Southgate took off are being rested as they're dead starters for at least the next game.

Bit like Ings, he played the full 90 in the first England game then didn't play again for the remaining 2.

He'll get dropped for Declan Rice, despite being the best English centre midfielder in the Prem this season.

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Definitely a few players out there tonight that have been playing more for themselves than the team.

And then they're lazy with the attempts to set people up, like that pass from Foden to JWP there. 

Swear to god if someone else takes this freekick...

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not really. Just a fun little freak of statistics. Teams generally don't try that hard against San Marino from kick off, let alone when they're 5+ goals up.

Nonsense. Of course they try and especially tonight given that the euros is around the corner. Every single one of those England players would be desperate to impress. 

the difference is that they set up and know how to be as hard as possible to break down, we don’t. People on here won’t like it, but that is on the manager. 

Think Prowsey is unique in this England squad. We’ve got some good defensive centre mids and some good attacking centre mids but no player that really offers the best of both. The team with 2 of Rice, Dier, Henderson or Phillips looks too defensive whereas only one of those normally leaves us looking exposed. JWP for me gives a bit of balance that’s needed and for me (totally biased) should always start.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Nonsense. Of course they try and especially tonight given that the euros is around the corner. Every single one of those England players would be desperate to impress. 

the difference is that they set up and know how to be as hard as possible to break down, we don’t. People on here won’t like it, but that is on the manager. 

I said they don't try that hard. You think England are trying as hard tonight, with 2 more games in the next 7 days and coming into the game knowing 100% they were going to win, as United or Leicester tried against us?

15 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yeah 100% agree with that angle but for me I was hoping he would stay on just so he can score another!

I wouldn’t mind so much if he doesn’t play the next game or two because I want him back all fresh and without fatigue too. 

Just now, ChrisPY said:

Think Prowsey is unique in this England squad. We’ve got some good defensive centre mids and some good attacking centre mids but no player that really offers the best of both. The team with 2 of Rice, Dier, Henderson or Phillips looks too defensive whereas only one of those normally leaves us looking exposed. JWP for me gives a bit of balance that’s needed and for me (totally biased) should always start.

Well as he's played tonight he can only really be judged in games against the likes of Spain, France, Belgium and Germany.

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Wait, I just saw that you suggested San Marino are better at setting up to defend than we are. Outed yourself as a troll.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I said they don't try that hard. You think England are trying as hard tonight, with 2 more games in the next 7 days and coming into the game knowing 100% they were going to win, as United or Leicester tried against us?

Yes, I think every single one of those starting tonight in the England team will have tried their hardest, wanting to impress. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Wait, I just saw that you suggested San Marino are better at setting up to defend than we are. Outed yourself as a troll.

they are. The gap between the two teams in miles bigger than Saints and Man U.

Edited by Turkish

They are. Their player quite obviously aren’t as good, but they are more organised defensively than we are. 

No team loses 9-0 twice if they’re defensively set up well. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

They are. Their player quite obviously aren’t as good, but they are more organised defensively than we are. 

If San Marino played in the Premier League, they would be hit for double figures more than once per season.

Just now, SKD said:

Yeah, it's better to have lost 10-0, 8-0, 7-0 etc. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

If San Marino played in the Premier League, they would be hit for double figures more than once per season.

I don't think they'd get a single point. In fact I'd bet everything I own on it.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

There is a reason why their players are car salesmen and not premier league players. This is like a conference south team playing a top 10 premier league side. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I don't think they'd get a single point. In fact I'd bet everything I own on it.

Probably not, makes our 9-0 look even more embarrassing.

• Like 1

Of course they wouldn’t. They’re fucking awful footballers. Not one of those players would get into a premier league team. 

That still doesn’t mean that they tactically, are set up defensively better than we are. 

Chuck our players into that system and they don’t lose 9-0 once, let alone twice. 

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Well as he's played tonight he can only really be judged in games against the likes of Spain, France, Belgium and Germany.

My post wasn’t really based in on tonight but how I think we’d balance the team against those types of teams. We really need 2 midfielders with defensive qualities but 1 of those will need to offer us something going forward. JWP is the best that I can see for that job.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Of course they wouldn’t. They’re fucking awful footballers. Not one of those players would get into a premier league team. 

That still doesn’t mean that they tactically, are set up defensively better than we are. 

Chuck our players into that system and they don’t lose 9-0 once, let alone twice. 

Right...so your point is that the formation and style of play they choose, because they're so shit that they have to try and keep the score below 5 or 6, is more suited to defense than the style of play we choose? 

What insight.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Why has everything got to be turned into a bashing of our 9-0 defeats? This is an England game so has no relevance. Get over it and stop obsessing.

• Like 2

Right...so your point is that the formation and style of play they choose, because they're so shit that they have to try and keep the score below 5 or 6, is more suited to defense than the style of play we choose? 

What insight.

I think his point is that no matter how shit the team is and how big the gap I quality is a manger can set a team up not to lose by 9

• Like 1

What insight.

No, what I’m saying as that they’re coached and organised better defensively than we are.

You’d have thought that at 6/7-0 we’d realise were shit and would try the same... but we don’t. 

That is down to the manager. 

Just now, SKD said:

No, what I’m saying as that they’re coached and organised better defensively than we are.

You’d have thought that at 6/7-0 we’d realise were shit and would try the same... but we don’t. 

That is down to the manager. 

Change the record, you've made your point on numerous occasions.

• Like 1