International Saints

TWar

8 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Not really, it's 3 points in the bag. The days of established teams putting 6, 7, 8 goals past 'lesser' sides are more or less over (with occasional exceptions) but I suspect you're too young to realise.

Apart from in the premier league it seems....

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Not really, it's 3 points in the bag. The days of established teams putting 6, 7, 8 goals past 'lesser' sides are more or less over (with occasional exceptions) but I suspect you're too young to realise.

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Apart from in the premier league it seems....

As said, with occasional exceptions.

31 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Well..ahem...

Considering that France team featured Martial, Pogba, Mbappe and co, I'd say that's something like Eastleigh FC v Man City at Stoneham...

But I take your point, it is a win.

Edited by JustinSFC

24 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yep, just once a season....

...when we go down to 10 men 

Hmm, got away with keeping the score down to five in two others games this season as well. Could easily have been 6 or 7 at least in those. Good to know it didn’t happen because the days of that happening are gone. 

17 hours ago, SKD said:

Yes man Right image Ability to waste another golden generation  

Hes the perfect candidate. Expect aidy boothroyd to take charge after the 2022 World Cup to lead us to another 10 years of obscurity. 

But in all seriousness, I think he was just the default option of ‘he’s managed the younger lads, we have younger lads coming through, let’s give it a go’. 

Think you're being a bit kind with that description.

22 hours ago, Badger said:

Think you're being a bit kind with that description.

Really..? Kane, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho are all world class and would walk into nearly every team in the competition. 

Our only weakness is at CB and arguably CM. Although I think Rice / Henderson is a very very good CM pairing. 

41 minutes ago, TWar said:

Japan are battering Mongolia 7-0. Minimino got the opener, still on the pitch.

Finished Mongolia 0 -14 Japan. Minamino only got the one goal. 

Not a great year to be a Saints and Mongolia fan. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Moments after I posted he was still on the pitch. Always the way. Either way atleast it protects him from injury

Yeah we could do with him playing in at least some of the Burnley and WBA games as he's cup tied so need others available for Wembley. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Only ever seems to have any fitness issues when he’s either on duty with England, or been called up to the squad. Good lad. 

Is the modern day ‘precaution’ something that wouldn’t have been questioned 10 years ago and players would have just played on. Feel like Prowsey is quite happy to get on with it where some players are told by the people around them not to risk it unless they are 100%.

Guess he wasn’t in the starting line up tonight so the decision was made for him but fully expect him to start against Burnley.

If Prowse isn't genuinely fitness impeded and he's returned to us because Ralph has leant on him, then he is a fucking idiot and probably just spaffed his chances of going to the euros.

I know some of you will be saying "but...but.... That means he's nice and fresh for Burnley"...etc

But I genuinely would have liked to have seen him go to the tournament.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

If Prowse isn't genuinely fitness impeded and he's returned to us because Ralph has leant on him, then he is a fucking idiot and probably just spaffed his chances of going to the euros.

I know some of you will be saying "but...but.... That means he's nice and fresh for Burnley"...etc

He's shown what he can do , if he's not 100% and probs wasn't going to start he's best off coming back to saints . Now without him in the squad I'm hoping for a Poland clean sheet! Will probably flick over to the Scotland game more than once too , How Armstrong doesn't start every game for them I'll never know her far better than all of those players starting ahead of him . 

40 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He'll be a Liverpool player by the time the Euros comes around anyway then we'd have to hear commentators calling him "Liverpool's Ward-Prowse" 😁😜😈

Seriously I'd love a Saint in the England squad but I don't think he'd get much game time. Maybe a late sub to whip balls in or a reliable penalty taker. I like W-P but I don't think he's first XI material.

Just now, SNSUN said:

He'll be a Liverpool player by the time the Euros comes around anyway then we'd have to hear commentators calling him "Liverpool's Ward-Prowse" 😁😜😈

Seriously I'd love a Saint in the England squad but I don't think he'd get much game time. Maybe a late sub to whip balls in or a reliable penalty taker. I like W-P but I don't think he's first XI material.

Not sure Kalvin Phillips is  either but he's in the first 11 and will probably go to the euros. Can prowsey displace him, I think so.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Because there's no VAR. 

Really? So they changed that rule purely to accommodate VAR?

I didn't realise that was the basis for it.

It's a ridiculous rule. Just flag when the offence occurs like in this match.

7 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Really? So they changed that rule purely to accommodate VAR?

I didn't realise that was the basis for it.

It's a ridiculous rule. Just flag when the offence occurs like in this match.

If you flag, and you're wrong, then there's no going back. 

If you don't flag, and VAR shows you were wrong, then it can make the correct decision. 

That's the logic behind it.

Better play from England tonight and a lot more effort against better opposition, unlike against San Marino when it was clearly abundantly obvious to anyone who knew what they were talking about that they weren't trying their absolute best as they didn't need to. 

3 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

Is the modern day ‘precaution’ something that wouldn’t have been questioned 10 years ago and players would have just played on. Feel like Prowsey is quite happy to get on with it where some players are told by the people around them not to risk it unless they are 100%.

Guess he wasn’t in the starting line up tonight so the decision was made for him but fully expect him to start against Burnley.

No way would he return if he didn't have a minor knock, it would have only been a few more hours and time on the bench for England. 

Hopefully he's fine, good that Armstrong is on the bench for Scotland as he struggles with too many games. Just need Adams and Bednarek to avoid injury. Adams got to be looking for a goal to make his mark against the Faroes. 

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Better play from England tonight and a lot more effort against better opposition, unlike against San Marino when it was clearly abundantly obvious to anyone who knew what they were talking about that they weren't trying their absolute best as they didn't need to. 

Playing Phillips & Rice together is overkill, I think you only need one of them.

Plus side is, Poland haven't got anywhere near our box.

19 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

Is it me or is this commentator in love with Foden . As far as I can see he has produced next to nothing in that first half .

Yes, just took a terrible corner and the commentator said it was a shot at goal and very close, which it wasn’t.

25 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Playing Phillips & Rice together is overkill, I think you only need one of them.

Plus side is, Poland haven't got anywhere near our box.

The criticism in your first paragraph is the reason for the second paragraph.