Saints 0-2 Leeds - Match Thread

Minsk

JWP hit the bar and worked tirelessly throughout the game, took a ball in the face etc etc, but there is still a part of me that not totally convinced about him overall as a player. Yes he can take a mean dead ball kick although that's been a bit off in the latter half of the season, but I ask the question "What else is in his game" and why are the so called bigger clubs homing in on him if the rumour mill is to be believed. 

27 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

JWP hit the bar and worked tirelessly throughout the game, took a ball in the face etc etc, but there is still a part of me that not totally convinced about him overall as a player. Yes he can take a mean dead ball kick although that's been a bit off in the latter half of the season, but I ask the question "What else is in his game" and why are the so called bigger clubs homing in on him if the rumour mill is to be believed. 

If you can't see what else is in his game, you're not watching.

If you need help, tackling, tireless running to track back and always be available for a pass, much improved passing and just the right amount of aggression and niggly getting in players' faces.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

If you need help, tackling, tireless running to track back and always be available for a pass, much improved passing and just the right amount of aggression and niggly getting in players' faces.

This and this. We’ll miss him when he’s gone 

35 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

No your help is not needed thanks and I have watched pretty much all of our games this season. In the main I have witnessed some pretty awful displays this season and only two players have stood out to me as being a cut above the rest and JWP is not one of them.

JWP started the season well with his free kicks and corners etc but since then he has been mediocre. If back passing and sideways passing constitutes good passing then you are easy to please. Yes he tracks back, covers alot of ground and gets in the oppositions faces but that is with a side that have lost 18 games and flirting with relegation. The recent love in with JWP really does not convince me that he is something special. 

• Haha 3

On 18/05/2021 at 21:30, Bob76 said:

Exactly this our two tens do very little, they are meant to be the creative engine of the team but most are simply not good enough. If Ralph insists on sticking to playing with two of them out is an area we desperately need more/some quality.

this, this and more of this. We are all set up to allow them to prosper and for us to kills teams on the break, but neither happens. We need individual talents, that can dribble , have tricks and pace and power and ability. They can then get on with things, allowing defenders to defend more often, and stop us getting hit on the break ourselves. Finding and acquiring that talent is tough though.

15 hours ago, SKD said:

18 losses this season is the highest amount of losses in a season since 04/05 where we went down. 

Not sure what my point is, but that does show how poor this season has been. 

both horrible sides and seasons. I wonder which side would beat the other.

On 18/05/2021 at 22:39, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, not an amazing player by any means. Bog standard really.

Central Midfield is an area where England don't really have much quality, in my opinion. We're debating Rice, JWP, Kalvin Phillips, Winks in CM.....compare that to other leading nations and we are absolutely light years behind. It doesn't take much to get a game in CM for England atm, especially with Henderson out.

Bellingham is a good player. Better than Philips and Winks already and could become first choice for England.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bellingham is a good player. Better than Philips and Winks already and could become first choice for England.

Yeah, that's a fair one. I really like him too - could turn into a very good CM for England for years to come. Might be too soon for him this year though, but his progress at Dortmund has been frightening. 

9 hours ago, disconnect said:

Ramsdale is pretty good (and an upgrade on our options) but think Sheffield United paid over £15mil for him...! 

9 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Ramsdale is fucking shit

Two relegations in two seasons. Don't think he'd bring a "winning mentality" with him, and we've got enough GK who seem to lack confidence already.

Mind you Redmond had two to his name when we signed him although spread over three or four years.

Edited by Badger

10 hours ago, Chez said:

both horrible sides and seasons. I wonder which side would beat the other.

Apart from the small matter of not getting relegated, we've had about twice as many wins this season as we did back then, so it's really not that much of a conundrum, is it? 

Draw it is, then.

On 18/05/2021 at 21:43, JRM said:

Great to have fans back, but that photo going round on social media of ladies sat staring at their phones looking bored whilst the game was on is a poor reflection on our "support" 

I'll assume they were having a quick look on here to get some informed opinions on the match thread. 

Wait all that time to get to a game.................

#AgainstModernFootball #SaintsFC #LUFC https://t.co/zEQiIEHqSw

People posting on here  during the game must be looking at their phone or computers screens. How can they watch the game properly whens posting?

48 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

People posting on here  during the game must be looking at their phone or computers screens. How can they watch the game properly whens posting?

Its easy. They just set up a template beforehand

"Stephens is shite"

"Redmond is shite"

"Adams is shite" etc etc

47 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

This season is the first where I have watched most games live. I soon learned to stop following the match threads on here, because a.) I found them quite depressing, and totally over-the-top in terms of criticism and comment, and b.) because I don't need anyone else's opinion of what I have just seen with my own eyes. The same applies to the TV commentators. Harsh, maybe, but I'm inclined to agree with Turkish's earlier comment about the 10%!

15 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

No your help is not needed thanks and I have watched pretty much all of our games this season. In the main I have witnessed some pretty awful displays this season and only two players have stood out to me as being a cut above the rest and JWP is not one of them.

JWP started the season well with his free kicks and corners etc but since then he has been mediocre. If back passing and sideways passing constitutes good passing then you are easy to please. Yes he tracks back, covers alot of ground and gets in the oppositions faces but that is with a side that have lost 18 games and flirting with relegation. The recent love in with JWP really does not convince me that he is something special. 

I simply don't agree. The passing sideways and backwards has almost becone a required statement for his detractors but it's nonsense. He looks for forward passes, even makes forward runs but if there's nothing on, pass sideways or back to retain possession, draw the opposition out and start again.

I'll just agree to disagree.