Saints 0-2 Leeds - Match Thread

Minsk

Just now, TWar said:

Both our keepers are bad. No correct answer tbh.

Exactly, not sure what people are getting their knickers in a twist about. Another thing to bat Ralph for I guess. Same as Jankewitz not playing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Dunno what game you are watching. We were on top for most of it, one goalkeeper error and one goal deep in stoppage when we committed everyone up. Hardly a stuffing.

Yes we dominated, and were undoubtedly the better side in the first half, but the genuine chances in the second half were theirs and it could easily have been four in the end.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Ralph schooled again by Bielsa and learned absolutely nothing from the game at Elland Road.

I still think it's a massive gamble going into next season with him.

We just got well beat in our own backyard with nothing riding on it.

That second half was shocking.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, JustinSFC said:

Played well enough in the first half, just not enough quality at the top end.

Tired in the second half and the better players Leeds have came to the fore.

Sometimes you just need to hold your hands up and say the opposition are better in terms of quality and guile, and Leeds are - especially in the final third.

• Like 2

No decent team needs to get out of second gear to beat us really. Do the Saints board have the honesty to challenge themselves to make things better? They talk a good game but results ain’t lying. All the nice pies and graphics in the world won’t make up for a hungry team competent enough to make it harder work for the better teams. We are still on relegation form and wins against Palace and Fulham hardly scream rejuvenation. It’ll carry on over into next season unless serious changes are made to coaching staff and players. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Played well enough in the first half, just not enough quality at the top end.

Tired in the second half and the better players Leeds have came to the fore.

Sometimes you just need to hold your hands up and say the opposition are better in terms of quality and guile, and Leeds are - especially in the final third.

First half was good. But we just can't do a full 90. For whatever reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

It'll only be the fourth consecutive season in the Premier League with him but yes it'll be a gamble... 😂

• Haha 2

It's so obvious that the few decent players are carrying the rest, I'm lost on Ralph's decision making and that will cost us next season along with the zero investment. This team as is would struggle in the championship and its only fortune that we're not headed there. The entire squad needs surgery and new fresh management thinking if next season is going to have any encouragement in it. 

• Like 1

Beaten by the better team and manager.

Far too many plodders and Championship level fodder in our side. Until we actually bring in reinforcements of PL quality this is how it’s going to be for us for years to come.

Annoyingly if we could just cut out the sheer number of stupid mistakes and poor lapses of concentration we could be a half decent side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Disagree. It was a very competitive game. We didn't take our chances. 

You could see that they were well in control and their play between the lines stretched us more and more as the game went on. They were comfortable and just waiting for the inevitable chances that their superiority would bring. Leeds always looked like winning that game if we're honest. We huffed and puffed but in the end they were deserved winners. 

• Like 2

All our deficiencies laid bare.

Shit finishing when well on top

Poor passing in final third when well on top

Run out of steam and chasing shadows after about 70 minutes

Weak goalkeeping, Alex was lucky to not get lobbed by Bamford when he came steaming out of goal and then lucky that Bamford didn't go down in the box. The 1-0 goal was utterly weak on his part, legs wide open.

Defenders who doze off and have 1 or 2 calamitous mistakes in them per game.

The two players behind the strikers offering nothing apart from scuffed shots or blazing it a mile over the bar.

• Like 1

The reality is that we were much the better side in the first half and we paid a heavy price for not scoring when we were on top.

Ralph’s substitutions looked more like experiments than tactical adjustments, and all our rhythm went with them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

2 good chances near the end for Redmond but doesn't bother passing to others with a better goal scoring opportunity. What a team player!

What a load of bollocks. 

IMO he was right to take them both on. It was him being positive, and no reason why he shouldn't take the shot on. 

Redmond is not greedy enough sometimes. 

• Like 3

Missed the game because a few beers and a meal in town seemed just a bit more exciting.

First look at the comments makes me think it was a replay of so many Saints games this season. Big problem is final third conversion as usual. It's screwed us for several seasons now.

Just now, Chez said:

What a load of bollocks. 

IMO he was right to take them both on. It was him being positive, and no reason why he shouldn't take the shot on. 

I would agree that this isn't a stick to beat Redmond with, he was better placed on both occasions to take a shot. Like you said, he often passes up responsibility so it was better to see.

Although he still lacks any real quality, which isn't going to change. Need to replace him truth be told.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Missed the game because a few beers and a meal in town seemed just a bit more exciting.

First look at the comments makes me think it was a replay of so many Saints games this season. Big problem is final third conversion as usual. It's screwed us for several seasons now.

Not so much final third shot conversion, just general chance creation. We played well in between the lines, got right at their back 4 but the final pass was often rushed, poor, miss timed, it was all a bit too hectic which usually equates to a lack of quality.  There's a lot good about certain parts of this team in terms of how we press, play between the lines, but the lack of quality in key areas really does show up against decent sides.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I would agree that this isn't a stick to beat Redmond with, he was better placed on both occasions to take a shot. Like you said, he often passes up responsibility so it was better to see.

Although he still lacks any real quality, which isn't going to change. Need to replace him truth be told.

A new cast of flair players is needed. Boy do we need Tella to keep progressing.

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

A new cast of flair players is needed. Boy do we need Tella to keep progressing.

Can't be all on Tella, but he's the only one with a bit of life about him in the final third. He's still got some way to go though as whilst his keenness and appetite got him into good positions his quality/final decision often let him down. If you put better players around him we'd be having a laugh I think.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd probably describe that performance as all talk but no action. You have to be honest and say that Leeds are just a much better team than us, it's sad that a promoted team can overtake us so quickly but that's what a lack of investment can do.

Overall we played well enough between the lines, but the difference was at the top end. Tella was lively, but a bit erratic and manic. Theo, umm. Yeah. Mousa...yeah. Adams battled well but he needs better around him.

JWP and Armstrong played well, but tired massively towards the end I felt. Vestergaard did ok, Salisu was ok.

McCarthy's performance summed up our goalkeepers really, capable of pulling off a decent save but equally capable of being an absolute moron. I know we don't have the funds to replace but we really, really, really need a top goal keeper if we are to be competitive. 

Bit of a disappointing evening really, but better quality teams will always hurt you if you are so blunt in the final third.

Good post, we were all huff and puff 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

No decent team needs to get out of second gear to beat us really. Do the Saints board have the honesty to challenge themselves to make things better? They talk a good game but results ain’t lying. All the nice pies and graphics in the world won’t make up for a hungry team competent enough to make it harder work for the better teams. We are still on relegation form and wins against Palace and Fulham hardly scream rejuvenation. It’ll carry on over into next season unless serious changes are made to coaching staff and players. 

Yes....

We are not fit enough.

Weak mentally

Weak tactically

Suffer from weird managerial decisions. 
All of which Ralph controls.

What is this second half collapse which goes on and on and is not addressed. 
Is Ralph blind or is he the cause?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Would be interesting to know why we didn't get a look at a VAR review for the first goal for possible offside or a replay of the possible penalty on Walker-Peters. 

Yeah they didn't even look at it through VAR did they? Looked offside to me. We had exactly the same go against us earlier this season. 

I am sick to the back teeth with this slow and laborious way we bring the ball out of defence, especially Stephens who is so casual and predictable, unlike Leeds who get the ball out of the danger area really quickly and often turn it into an attacking move.

We are truly painful to watch most of the time apart from the odd burst and I have got to the point where I am sick of watching us atm. Thank god the seasons nearly over. 

• Like 1

Harry Kane and Son suckered our centre backs second game of the season. Leeds suckered us at Elland Road, and again tonight. Just three examples of Kamikaze defending. Our defenders might and it's a very big might get a couple of goals a season between them. They are employed as defenders. Vestergaard and Stephens carrying the ball forward just opens us up at the back. JWP was the only Saints player back for the second goal against three Leeds players. Defence is too important to allow them to showboat. Until we organise and become a disciplined team we are going to continue to be also rans just happy not to be relegated.  Ralph needs to get a grip. We probably wouldn't have conceded if we had been disciplined at the back. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

What a load of bollocks. 

He can't shoot though, can he? It's so rare that he gets his shots on target. I think most people would rather he passed if all we ever get is row Z. 

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

You thunk that's bad, you should watch the highlights of the United game later. Cavani scored despite being about 5m offside, but its United so its OK.

And they drew line after line to try to get Fulham's goal offside but couldn't manage it. 

2 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

He can't shoot though, can he? It's so rare that he gets his shots on target. I think most people would rather he passed if all we ever get is row Z. 

The reality is he can't do much, but it's better to at least have a crack than to recycle the ball backwards. Who knows, it may hit a defender on the backside and go in.

• Like 1

Back home now. We played well for about 60 minutes and then paid the price for not scoring when we were on top. 

I really enjoyed being back in the stadium with a reasonable number of people there. Was so nice to be able to watch a live game. Stewarding was relaxed, they barely even checked my ticket and didn't look at the kids ones at all. 

It's not just on here that Redmond gets unfair abuse either. 89 minutes gone and he smashes one over the bar from the edge of the area and loads of people start moaning at him. One minute later Ings smashes one well wide from a similar position and people clap him.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Danny Ings started the game we draw or win that .. he would have buried those 1st half chances from Adams !!.. 

what chances ? One had no pace on the cross he had to generate the power on it as well as direct it. The other came at him quickly and he got shot away as quickly as could .....it was about 20 yards from me

• Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic