Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

waylander

20 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Two mid table teams. Not a lot between them. Id rather have our team than theirs

I mean bar their GK, Defence, Midfield (when you add Nevez into the mix) and wingers I think you make a very valid point.

and let’s face it if their striker hadn’t had a near career threatening injury he’d probably be in the mix too!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Agree. The game could easily have been a draw, or even gone our way.  No excuse for the Forster error, dithering while then play passed him by, but no cause overall for complaints about the performance.  The penalty was given incorrectly, giving Wolves only 2 legitimate goals.  Our shot that hit the post could easily have given us 2 goals but luck also played a great part in keeping Saints from scoring more goals.  Luck often decides a game, so the better team doesn't always win.  In my opinion, this was one such. 

Clutching at straws old chap. On the day we were not good enough and Wolves were much the better more composed side. Luck had little to do with the outcome yesterday too many of our players went missing for the afternoon.

The penalty was clearly a penalty, the ball was travelling across the goal at an angle and you can argue all day about whether Bednarek's foot brushed against the ball or not, the important point is that he did not deflect its direction of travel at all. Had the ball shifted its direction of travel by even 1 degree the ref would have not given it. Watch again and you will see for yourself.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

A very dubious penalty I thought , VAR is still making the situation worse for the game . If it takes that long to raise an issue with the Ref then it's obviously not a clear and obvious error .

Saints made plenty of chances and could have got some points , disappointment at the result has been erazed by watching JWP's free kick endlessly 😄

Fraser still slow to react for second goal , by the time he made his mind up to move to deal with the loose ball / possible shot at goal it was already a goal !

Who was on VAR? The on field ref had no prob with the tackles. Again we get screwed by the VAR ref, he showed those tackles over and over looking for a foul. I still do not see one! Beds got the ball, changed its direction, goes past Jim, and he continues into Beds? Where is the foul? Very frustrating to always get these shit calls going against us. This poor decision echanged the game. Also thought the ref let them kick and push us at will. Love that fair Salu shoulder tackle, but not the ref? These were two good teams, but we rarely have the chance to beat just the team, we are almost always hampered by the  refs and them deciding how the game should go. Announcers never seem to like us, I can hear the excitement for the other teams, but rarely any love for the Saints. Oh well, at least the FA are consistent with us, they never seem to disappoint in rewarding the opposition and shafting us up the ...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Clutching at straws old chap. On the day we were not good enough and Wolves were much the better more composed side. Luck had little to do with the outcome yesterday too many of our players went missing for the afternoon.

The penalty was clearly a penalty, the ball was travelling across the goal at an angle and you can argue all day about whether Bednarek's foot brushed against the ball or not, the important point is that he did not deflect its direction of travel at all. Had the ball shifted its direction of travel by even 1 degree the ref would have not given it. Watch again and you will see for yourself.

Time to get new glasses, or a new TV, the ball was touched, the ball was deflected, Jim never had control of the ball, never had possession, he actually ran past the ball (because Beds changed the balls angle) into Beds. If the VAR took so long to find the best angle to support their weak case, how was it clear and obvious mistakes by the on field ref? That non pen changed the game!

• Like 8

I think the issue with the penalty is that it was not given, then given as a 'clear and obvious error'. Had that been given straight away, VAR looked at it and then NOT overturned it, I don't think we could really have any complaint. It's one of those "seen them given, seen them not" kinda things.

Also Forster...Just wow. Imagine if McCarthy had conceded that. He'd be publicly flogged. Utterly laughable how anyone thinks he's a decent keeper and better than McCarthy and for the record, I think they're both awful. But Forster is just that little bit extra sh1t.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Who was on VAR? The on field ref had no prob with the tackles. Again we get screwed by the VAR ref, he showed those tackles over and over looking for a foul. I still do not see one! Beds got the ball, changed its direction, goes past Jim, and he continues into Beds? Where is the foul? Very frustrating to always get these shit calls going against us. This poor decision echanged the game. Also thought the ref let them kick and push us at will. Love that fair Salu shoulder tackle, but not the ref? These were two good teams, but we rarely have the chance to beat just the team, we are almost always hampered by the  refs and them deciding how the game should go. Announcers never seem to like us, I can hear the excitement for the other teams, but rarely any love for the Saints. Oh well, at least the FA are consistent with us, they never seem to disappoint in rewarding the opposition and shafting us up the ...........

Yep, it's tough to take but we just have to accept that everyone hates us.

38 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Had that been given straight away, VAR looked at it and then NOT overturned it, I don't think we could really have any complaint

Correct, because that's how VAR is supposed to work, i.e. "only overturn the on-field decision if the ref made a clear and obvious error". This principle should work both ways. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Correct, because that's how VAR is supposed to work, i.e. "only overturn the on-field decision if the ref made a clear and obvious error". This principle should work both ways. 

VAR is not supposed to re-referee the game yet that is what is happening. These ‘soft’ penalties are distorting the balance of the game. It’s much easier to try to win a penalty than it is to score a goal so attackers play to make the defender try win the ball or they hammer the ball towards the arms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, millsy said:

prior to the breakaway for their third goal -  Lyanco  is seen standing on halfway line - holding his throat in pain.  The closest player to him...

- is the eventual Wolves scorer.  Was Lynaco struck in an off-the-ball incident?.  The more one looks at the highlights, the more suspicious it becomes.

Lyanco then, sinks to his knees and the medics. run onto the field - after goal has been scored. 

Looks like he took an elbow in the throat going for the clearance. Didn't notice it during the match, but I don't have VAR at home. Strange it wasn't looked at, as they only seemed to check the possible offside.

I reckon they did look at it. He was down for ages after the goal getting treatment and loads of players were giving the ref their opinion about what happened, pointing at Lyanco laying on the floor etc.

Obviously, you have the major incident, being the penalty. Shouldn't have been one, the attacker stopped playing the ball and went for the contact with Bednarek and then it took around 3-5 minutes to award the penalty after it wasn't called in real time.

However, it's the little fouls and non-contact football that's happening again. I don't think referees hate us, but every other team in this league gets in the referee's face and puts pressure on them, because it works. We don't and that's why the likes of El Ghazi and Toney can make fouls that would be a yellow had they not already been on one and ultimately get away with it.

Wolves were the same yesterday. An inexperienced referee, got in his face and got cheap fouls throughout, which isn't highlighted as much, but is game changing. You know it's a bad day at the office when Wolves fans are taking the piss, posting videos on social media of Podence doing his best Shefki Kuqi impression and winning a foul from it.

At the start of the season, the officials had seemingly taken note of the Euros, where the officials AND VAR went by unnoticed. Games were allowed to flow, football was allowed to have contact again, we rightly scored against Manchester United because of this new outlook. However, the big six bosses made several complaints regarding this and it's seemingly gone back to a non-contact sport again. Plenty of rules were changed midway through the last season regarding VAR and handballs and it's spoiling the game and taking away any consistency immediately.

Anyway... Has Traore been wearing two sets of gloves every week in the hope that he'd finally score? Or did he know, we're the club to break droughts against. They even got Coady's first ever home goal yesterday.

JWP's free-kick was world class. Up there with Wayne Thomas and Cuco Martina and his was from a dead ball. Incredible.

3 hours ago, Saints_massive said:

I mean bar their GK, Defence, Midfield (when you add Nevez into the mix) and wingers I think you make a very valid point.

and let’s face it if their striker hadn’t had a near career threatening injury he’d probably be in the mix too!

Ill repeat previous response. I meant in terms of attitude. They were a dirty, shithousery team. Much rather have ours than their bunch of fall overs.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No, they weren't.  No, it wasn't.  No, I won't. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Obviously, you have the major incident, being the penalty. Shouldn't have been one, the attacker stopped playing the ball and went for the contact with Bednarek and then it took around 3-5 minutes to award the penalty after it wasn't called in real time.

However, it's the little fouls and non-contact football that's happening again. I don't think referees hate us, but every other team in this league gets in the referee's face and puts pressure on them, because it works. We don't and that's why the likes of El Ghazi and Toney can make fouls that would be a yellow had they not already been on one and ultimately get away with it.

Wolves were the same yesterday. An inexperienced referee, got in his face and got cheap fouls throughout, which isn't highlighted as much, but is game changing. You know it's a bad day at the office when Wolves fans are taking the piss, posting videos on social media of Podence doing his best Shefki Kuqi impression and winning a foul from it.

At the start of the season, the officials had seemingly taken note of the Euros, where the officials AND VAR went by unnoticed. Games were allowed to flow, football was allowed to have contact again, we rightly scored against Manchester United because of this new outlook. However, the big six bosses made several complaints regarding this and it's seemingly gone back to a non-contact sport again. Plenty of rules were changed midway through the last season regarding VAR and handballs and it's spoiling the game and taking away any consistency immediately.

Anyway... Has Traore been wearing two sets of gloves every week in the hope that he'd finally score? Or did he know, we're the club to break droughts against. They even got Coady's first ever home goal yesterday.

JWP's free-kick was world class. Up there with Wayne Thomas and Cuco Martina and his was from a dead ball. Incredible.

Not only that but the Wolves players were pushing away the Saints players who were trying to remonstrate with the ref !

58 minutes ago, Micky said:

No, they weren't.  No, it wasn't.  No, I won't. 

And yes, you're right.  No offence to Charlie, but I generally find my own takes on games confirmed when CW takes the opposite view.

I expected the loss yesterday after a really tough run of games with extra time and two sendings off all within the last couple of weeks.  So not as down usual - not least because the lasting memory from that game will be a goal-of-the-season contender.

• Like 3

Personally I thought it wasn't a penalty because the Wolves player wasn't in playing distance of the ball, mistimed his lunge and clattered into Bednerak's leg with the ball two yards behind him at the moment of contact. I felt it was more a foul being late on Bednerak than blocking the Wolves player. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Time to get new glasses, or a new TV, the ball was touched, the ball was deflected, Jim never had control of the ball, never had possession, he actually ran past the ball (because Beds changed the balls angle) into Beds. If the VAR took so long to find the best angle to support their weak case, how was it clear and obvious mistakes by the on field ref? That non pen changed the game!

Spot on, that's exactly what I saw when it happened. Thanks for explaining it clearly, the attacker didn't have the ball and ran into Bednarek. A terrible decision, not close to being a penalty.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, trousers said:

Why did it take VAR so long to come to a conclusion (and an inconclusive one at that) if it was "clearly" a penalty? #logic

Because the international referees conspiracy against Southampton Football Club to ensure they remain a small club had to consult their lawyers before confirming it was definitely a penalty?

• Haha 1

Until the end I thought we played a good game, never a penalty, goal keeping error for the second, JWP with the second best free kick I have ever seen (behind Roberto Carlos at le Tournai in 97). But instead of putting it to them at the end to make them sweat we got done. Why do we have to always try to hang on but they do us in?

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2022 at 14:05, Instant Classic said:

I think the issue with the penalty is that it was not given, then given as a 'clear and obvious error'. Had that been given straight away, VAR looked at it and then NOT overturned it, I don't think we could really have any complaint. It's one of those "seen them given, seen them not" kinda things.

Also Forster...Just wow. Imagine if McCarthy had conceded that. He'd be publicly flogged. Utterly laughable how anyone thinks he's a decent keeper and better than McCarthy and for the record, I think they're both awful. But Forster is just that little bit extra sh1t.

Today we conceded yet another goal that was everybody else's fault but Forster's. How anyone thinks this clown is a good keeper is totally amazing.