Wolves 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

waylander

36 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Yes, some of this is on Ralph I'm afraid. Took off Diallo when he should have taken of Tella and brought on KWP. That's before the argument that KWP should have started in the first place. Wolves make few mistakes - we made lots today and were very careless with the ball. Great goal from JWP but you just knew Traore would score against us. We weren't good enough today but I think Ralph was partly to blame.

good to know that the fans are always right 😃 ... don t actually agree that Ralph really had a substantial impact to avoid todays loss...Wolfs played good

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Had a top 3 player (+ Man United) had scored that free kick, they'd probably be nominated for SPOTY, and the faffing over them would go on for weeks 

It's the sort of free kick that only a few players attempt, let alone score. His free kick today had a wiff of Roberto Carlos and Juninho Pernambucano about it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Weird that there's a transfer thread really, if that's the consensus. Maybe that thread is just everyone saying we don't need anyone.

The transfer thread just debates other clubs signings. We have some obvious weak links but just upgrading one or two of these seems to be beyond the club. Not expecting ( or wanting ) an influx of superstars or mercenaries,but some progression in quality in one position would be nice.

41 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Fraction or not he was offside whatever happens from there in in is of no consequence.

I think you miss my point. The person marking him has no idea if he is on or offside, so should be doing his job, which is challenging for the header.  He didn't, the goal was scored and then it was down to VAR. That let us down, but win the header and then what happens from there is they don't score. 

We should therefore blame both the defending and VAR. 

I've not seen a replay. I might be wrong and he was challenged, but it didnt look that way.

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Interesting that when we were doing well at the start of last season when we were scoring goals from errors it was because we were a brilliant pressing team forcing teams into errors, when it’s someone else they’re just having a lucky season and can’t keep relying on other team to gift them goals. They’ll drop down to “like” (I didn’t realise this was an episode of friends) well down the table like 

I blame that Danish fella and his Ted talk

Shame about the result, so close to getting something from the game.  Thought we played well, had some good chances but just came up short. Wolves are decent but very annoying with the play acting and buying free kicks.

What a free kick by Ward-Prowse, mind! Perraud header goes in and our players aren’t championship quality!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Literally nobody on here has said that.

I was being sarcastic because this morning people on here were suggesting Bednarek was just fine and we couldn't possibly improve on him if we only had the money his sale brought in to replace him. 

We have one of the leakiest back fours in the league. Some of these players can't be top notch. 

Anyone know where Lord D is? Sitting here waiting for his usual "Saintsweb bias" missive before commencing this evening's shenanagins. Hurry up your Lordship, I've got Espresso Martinis to make FFS.

#legend

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Anyone know where Lord D is? Sitting here waiting for his usual "Saintsweb bias" missive. Hurry up your Lordship, I've got Espresso Martinis to make FFS.

Praobably missus is making him do the hoovering 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was being sarcastic because this morning people on here were suggesting Bednarek was just fine and we couldn't possibly improve on him if we only had the money his sale brought in to replace him. 

We have one of the leakiest back fours in the league. Some of these players can't be top notch. 

Yeah, I saw those posts. It was relating to scapegoating or similar. It strikes me as if to certain fans you cannot critise any of our players, otherwise you're scapegoating them.

For what it's worth I've always been of the opinion that Bednarek is fairly average, for a mid-table bottom half side he is adequate. For a team who have ambitions to potentially get back to the Koeman times then he needs to be replaced. I don't think there's anything outrageous saying that.

We'd also need to replace Redmond, Moussa and our GK too. Those are our starting 11 week links. CB, GK and 'number 10'.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Wolves are a decent outfit and I think we gave them a pretty decent game... On another day, we win it.
KWP for Tella or even one of the CBs would have been a more obvious choice for me and bringing on Stu Armstrong at half time might have given us  a bit more flair in attack.Anyway, no shame in losing today and a world-class free-kick to boot.
COYR

Edited by ButtikonSaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I saw those posts. It was relating to scapegoating or similar. It strikes me as if to certain fans you cannot critise any of our players, otherwise you're scapegoating them.

For what it's worth I've always been of the opinion that Bednarek is fairly average, for a mid-table bottom half side he is adequate. For a team who have ambitions to potentially get back to the Koeman times then he needs to be replaced. I don't think there's anything outrageous saying that.

We'd also need to replace Redmond, Moussa and our GK too. Those are our 4 starting 11 week links. CB, GK and 'number 10'.

What is so pathetic on here is people ignoring when a player is doing well and then when they play shite start posting like some sage saying ‘told you so’ and mocking others for not being as wise. Football and players’ performances vary hugely yet somehow some think they get kudos from being in right camp.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Done and dusted? Yeah cos Newcastle are just great! Think they have played most of  lower half teams at home and only beaten Burnley 1-0

More of a reflection of how poor the other 3 are. I think they’ll have enough to stay up and likely will bring in a player or 2 at the back. 

Done and dusted may be a bit far, but I can’t see anyone, other than the bottom 4, being dragged in. 

Just now, Dman said:

More of a reflection of how poor the other 3 are. I think they’ll have enough to stay up and likely will bring in a player or 2 at the back. 

Done and dusted may be a bit far, but I can’t see anyone, other than the bottom 4, being dragged in. 

That was my point. You might be right but far from done and dusted as Newcastle still massively in the shit

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Someone is always dragged in. But yes it does look between the current bottom 4.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm wondering if the HT shape change was forced. Diallo was playing OK first half so maybe he had an injury worry, but the lack of another CM on the bench meant Ralph had to reshuffle things a bit. 

Diallo was rubbish the first half IMO. Did fuck all. Looked lost. Stood around. Didnt work nearly hard enough. Deserved to be yanked off.

Just seen the goal and Perraud hitting the woodwork on the YouTube highlights.

On another day etc etc.

On the highlights they cut to a camera shot showing how far out JWP's free kick was: at which point i said out loud "what a goal" before he'd even hit it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Diallo was rubbish the first half IMO. Did fuck all. Looked lost. Stood around. Didnt work nearly hard enough. Deserved to be yanked off.

He was no worse than Redmond or Tella though. 

Even if it was his lack of involvement that prompted Ralph to hook him, there was no like for like replacement on the bench so a change of shape was the only option. 

• Like 1

Back down to earth with a big kick to the teeth. I really hope we can repaid Wolves in kind next season. A great goal from JWP but a very frustrating day. 

Just when you begin to hope you realise that was a silly thing to do. The one thing Saints are great at and never fail to do is disappoint! 

Edited by Saint J 77

Wolves truly mastered the game of shithousery. I dread if all their games are like that as no doubt it contributes to their higher points ranking.

I want to say a draw is a fair result, but in truth a GK making an error like that and not converting our chances mean we deserve that. 

Oh well, draw a line under it, we were always gonna come back to earth.

Was always going to be a difficult game against a fellow in form side with a good keeper and excellent striker eg Jimenez. That was part of the difference on the day, theirs had a good first half whereas ours, and he’s been an improvement on McCarthy overall, had one of his stinkers, even before gifting them their second. Ralph is going to have to compromise a little bit on playing out front from the back at times until the club can bring in the first choice GK and CB that are more comfortable with their distribution. McCarthy’s kicking is no better, pity Caballero not a few years younger as suits RH’s style of playing best.

As S Clarke identified, most of us know and I’m sure the club does too, we need at least one new GK as first choice, CB partner for MS with one of squad options moving on, DMC and 10. Forster’s colossal wage will be gone and a few other players whose contracts are running down eg Moussa and perhaps Ely might be moving. When is Redmond’s latest deal up? There is a decent mid to lower PL half squad and better depth, hoping the takeover plus moving on some squad options for decent wedge will allow the 4 new faces to come in for the summer. Striker - depends what happens with Broja, probably best hope is second season loan.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wooley7 said:

Shame about the result, so close to getting something from the game.  Thought we played well, had some good chances but just came up short. Wolves are decent but very annoying with the play acting and buying free kicks.

What a free kick by Ward-Prowse, mind! Perraud header goes in and our players aren’t championship quality!

Great game poor result .Chances seem to fall to the wrong play yet again,but not too disappointed, well maybe a little. Perraud hes getting there imo. No idea on KWP though.

Tella could have come on as an impact sub for Redmond.

• Like 1

I was surprised that KWP wasn't at full back. Tella was an emergency selection against Brentford and did ok but not that well. The goals all came with him having no involvement so I see no good reason to keep him in. Against Brentford he was slow to try and pick up the goalscorer, today he had loads of time dithered just outside our penalty area and lost the ball which led to the penalty.

I thought we were slow to build up with too many passes and played into Wolves hands allowing their consolidating defensive tactics  to work. Too many short going nowhere passes and not enough quick back to front passes when we blocked Wolves attacks. Broja is a threat but not with 59% possession most of it sideways and backwards.

I felt a bit sorry for Forster re the second goal. It is our tactic to hold the line and let opponents fall into the offside trap. Two or three Wolves players were offside including one who ended up in the net. Forster was hung out to dry as he was caught in two minds but coming out was the wrong decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, derry said:

I was surprised that KWP wasn't at full back. Tella was an emergency selection against Brentford and did ok but not that well. The goals all came with him having no involvement so I see no good reason to keep him in. Against Brentford he was slow to try and pick up the goalscorer, today he had loads of time dithered just outside our penalty area and lost the ball which led to the penalty.

I thought we were slow to build up with too many passes and played into Wolves hands allowing their consolidating defensive tactics  to work. Too many short going nowhere passes and not enough quick back to front passes when we blocked Wolves attacks. Broja is a threat but not with 59% possession most of it sideways and backwards.

I felt a bit sorry for Forster re the second goal. It is our tactic to hold the line and let opponents fall into the offside trap. Two or three Wolves players were offside including one who ended up in the net. Forster was hung out to dry as he was caught in two minds but coming out was the wrong decision.

I'd assume KWP wasn't fit enough to play a big part after covid, it really does take a while to recover from

• Like 1

Just got back.  Meh it was one of those games, played fairly well but lacked cutting edge in the final third.  Started well (as we do) but rarely looked like scoring, and wolves were happy to let us have lots of the ball and play on the break.   Not sure if it was a pen, looked like one of those double tap tackles, looked like he got the ball first and then the man on the big screen.  No idea what fraser was doing for the second one though, or what Salisu was doing for the third,  should've closed Triore but stood off him and he just walked around him and buried it.  All of that said we didn't play badly and with a little luck we could've got a point. 

Never seen so much gamesmanship and time wasting, wolves knew all the tricks. 

On the up side, I can say 'I was there' every time they play JWP's  super strike.

Decent away day, shame about the result. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Just have to accept it goes against you sometimes. Two pretty decent sides albeit with flaws. A 2-2 sort of game that just went the other way. But least we were pushing for the equaliser and nearly got it. Not the end of the world to concede another late when you're trying to rescue a game. 

This is just where we are defensively. Can't expect clean sheets regularly against half decent sides. Salisu is still learning and improving, Bednarek just isn't very good, Lyanco is quite fun but come on, he's not great. 

Hopefully Man City are now so far clear they'll get complacent for the odd game. Go 1-0 up against them and there's always a chance they just have a sulky day but obviously any points the next few games would be a massive bonus. 

I thought Lyanco was good today. He has seemed a pretty astute signing so far.

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He was no worse than Redmond or Tella though. 

Even if it was his lack of involvement that prompted Ralph to hook him, there was no like for like replacement on the bench so a change of shape was the only option. 

Redmond was OK in the first half. Tella seemed to struggle. 

If he wanted to retain the shape he could have swapped Armstrong for Diallo. He changed the shape because we were behind and not creating much. Also Diallo was shit, so he took him off. That's my take on the sub/change.

Out thought and out fought today. Wolves are a good side. We seem to have been a bit hyped up from the start and passes were too hurried and often went astray. We never really got any rhythm into our play at all. Wolves obviously know our game well and were in our faces from the off giving us little space to work in. Tella and Redmond were off colour and provided little threat. Perraud played reasonably well down the left but Wolves exploited the gaps behind him leaving Salisu with too much to do until Perraud made his way back. JWP & Romeu imperious as ever but the back three were hit and miss and did not fill fans with confidence. JWP tried his best to carry the game to the opposition with that wonder goal, other teams will be desperate not to foul anywhere within the final third at this rate. 

Not sure why Ralph didn't replace Tella with JWP at HT to give us more of a threat on the right. In truth all his subs were a bit weird, Adams for Diallo made no sense to me and hauling Broja off seemed like an act of madness. 

I had hoped and expected a better performance and a better result but it seems three games in a week at our level of intensity is unsustainable. 

Well that was an odd game.  Always a good atmosphere at Molyneux, but my god does that side know every trick in the book to slow the game down.

Felt it was a scrappy first half, we looked like a team who were playing their third game in a week.  Looking forward to seeing the VAR tonight, the penalty felt like an absolute age before ref was sent to the screen.  Think it was Tella who gave the ball away in a dangerous position that started the move.  Then clear goalkeeping error from Forster, who to be fair has been good since getting back in the side.  Stunning free kick from JWP, a couple of big headed chances missed by Salisu and Perraud.  Can forgive the third goal as we were throwing everything forward to equalise.

I thought Lyanco was excellent today, really growing into Premier League football, and Perraud again very good after Brentford display.  Both are beginning to look very good signings after inconsistent starts to their time with us.  Biggest disappointments for me were Broja and Tella, perhaps one game too many in a week.