Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Any form of ballot, whether supervised by the UN or any other body, is confirming Russia's illegal land grab at gunpoint has some form of justification.

He is a total prick. Although at least helping with Starlink

39 minutes ago, whelk said:

Elon Musk confirming what I always thought. Colossal cunt

A poll on Twitter is the result of him thinking of something and having instant access to a way to broadcast it. It was ill thought out, and won’t go down well, but on the other hand Starlink has been a massive asset for Ukraine.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

A poll on Twitter is the result of him thinking of something and having instant access to a way to broadcast it. It was ill thought out, and won’t go down well, but on the other hand Starlink has been a massive asset for Ukraine.

It’s idiotic though, how do you have another referendum when half the population has left or been evicted (in the case of Crimea) from their homes and a good portion killed?

How could a referendum ever be fair given the pro Russian discrimination in the occupied territories. Elon is a twat I don’t know why so many see him as a messianic figure…

Having tripped up with his first 'poll', Musk has now come up with;

"Let’s try this then: the will of the people who live in the Donbas & Crimea should decide whether they’re part of Russia or Ukraine: Yes/No"

Who the fuck does he think he is ?

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

What was Musk's original tweet?

Ukraine-Russia Peace: - Redo elections of annexed regions under UN supervision. Russia leaves if that is will of the people. - Crimea formally part of Russia, as it has been since 1783 (until Khrushchev’s mistake). - Water supply to Crimea assured. - Ukraine remains neutral.

I have no idea how to embed tweets… 

• Like 1

There are far more pertinent and less puerile questions he could have posed :

1) Should Russia withdraw all it's troops from Ukraine and stop murdering children?

2) Should Putin stop threatening nuclear war because he's losing in Ukraine ?

3) Should people in positions of influence who haven't the first clue about the Ukraine war continue posting inane and ill-informed "polls" ?

To name but 3...

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It would be an interesting legal precedent. I might pop around to my neighbour's house, murder him, have a referendum in which I vote for our two houses become an independent sovereign nation, keep all his stuff and declare it was all in self defence.

I don't suppose there's any chance you live in Moscow and your neighbour is Mr V Putin is there?

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Stupid tweet but didn’t Musk help Ukraine with his Starlink thing?

Believe the Starlink capacity Ukraine are using was bought by the US government for one of the military aid packages to Ukraine.

In any case it’s available to Ukraine and is not available to Russia.

7 hours ago, buctootim said:

I heard a report on World Service where they interviewed some of the crowd. It was full of people who had been bussed in, local government workers, factory staff etc.

Many refused to be interviewed, others said they didn't know why they were there.

The reporter said there was no atmosphere. Speakers were trying to get the crowd cheering but were ignored. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Orwellian if genuine. 

I think we’re well beyond ‘Orwellian’ with Putin. When you’re invading your neighbours, raping and murdering teenage girls and butchering the local population, a few edited propaganda videos is child’s play.

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

There is a Ukrainian drone video that is claimed to show 2 Russians 'entertaining' each other in a ruined building. They get a severe dose of coitus interruptus when the drone drops a grenade on them

Cant give up those prison habits.

8 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Apparently Russia is retreating from northern Kherson.

0CF6AA15-F933-4613-9B66-80052806B7C1.jpeg

No supplies, stuck out at the end of long lines of communication, no rotation out of the line of contact, constant harassment from the UA, no air support. Once the first crack appears, it doesn't need much to collapse the entire front. Panic is contagious.

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

I just hope we have a nuke ready to hit Moscow seconds after he launches any nuclear strike. 

Saw a suggestion he will set one off in the Black Sea as a warning. I would have thought that would just galvanise everybody against him.  Im sure the Americans and Chinese are already talking about who should replace him.  

2 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Saw a suggestion he will set one off in the Black Sea as a warning. I would have thought that would just galvanise everybody against him.  Im sure the Americans and Chinese are already talking about who should replace him.  

NATO needs to not fuck around. Wipe out his navy and then say your move if you want to try another one.

Edited by whelk

19 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It would be an interesting legal precedent. I might pop around to my neighbour's house, murder him, have a referendum in which I vote for our two houses become an independent sovereign nation, keep all his stuff and declare it was all in self defence.

It would work if you have a nuclear missile under your arm

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If Russia is as bad coventially on the battlefield as many believe, this whole affair strengthens the case for nations holding their own nuclear arsenal

Well yes for all the screaming and shouting and endless sanctions North Korea are basically safe from conventional invasion as they would destroy the major cities in the South. 

They are a pariah state but their corrupt government is safe from external intervention from a major player. 

It only makes sense for a fragile autocracy to currently pursue nukes though. For any developing state the costs far outweighs the benefits. 

Edited by farawaysaint
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, whelk said:

NATO needs to not fuck around. Wipe out his navy and then say your move if you want to try another one.

Moscow is a city of 12 million people, I’d rather nobody nuked it, even if Putin nukes the frontlines. 

I’d prefer if NATO just immediately scrambled every jet and flattened all Russian military bases.

2 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Moscow is a city of 12 million people, I’d rather nobody nuked it, even if Putin nukes the frontlines. 

I’d prefer if NATO just immediately scrambled every jet and flattened all Russian military bases.

and what do you think would happen there after?

Just now, farawaysaint said:

Given the Intel and surveillance capabilities that NATO has, I suspect they already know every key point of the Russian forces anywhere in ( pre-2014 ) Ukraine. It would take very little time to eradicate every one of them.

I think any response would be limited to the current Theatre of Operations, but would be absolutely conclusive.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

and what do you think would happen there after?

I don’t have a clue to be honest, no one does. I have no doubt London is on the target list as well as many other major European and American capitals the second it happens though.

My objection to it is largely moral though, the civilian toll would be inconceivable. 

Just now, farawaysaint said:

I don’t have a clue to be honest, no one does. I have no doubt London is on the target list as well as many other major European and American capitals the second it happens though.

My objection to it is largely moral though, the civilian toll would be inconceivable. 

would you be happy to sacrifice Southampton to obliterate Murmansk?  Do you think the Americans would be happy to sacrifice New York to save Kyiv?

We all know the answers.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

would you be happy to sacrifice Southampton to obliterate Murmansk?  Do you think the Americans would be happy to sacrifice New York to save Kyiv?

We all know the answers.

Happy to hear your suggestions on the topic? What do you think is the proportional response if Putin uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine? 

5 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Even if Moscow crossed a seriously big line and used low yield tactical nukes in Ukraine, and I can’t for one second believe they will, that’s not going to escalate either side firing their weapons at major cities. As has been said, it’ll probably just lead to a massive assault on Russian military targets around the world. They will know this and so do we.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Even if Moscow crossed a seriously big line and used low yield tactical nukes in Ukraine, and I can’t for one second believe they will, that’s not going to escalate either side firing their weapons at major cities. As has been said, it’ll probably just lead to a massive assault on Russian military targets around the world. They will know this and so do we.

And Russia wont retaliate if their entire armed forces came under attack?

I am sure we would...the US would destroy anyone who tried that on with any force necessary...