Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

5 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Happy to hear your suggestions on the topic? What do you think is the proportional response if Putin uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine? 

My response...not let it get there.  If Russia could be stopped, they would have been.  I have said this from the very start.

As it stands, Ukraine has had more money and resources thrown at it since February than nearly all 1st world nations have at the disposal in a year of defence spending. Yet here we are with large swathes of the their country now annexed (legally or not).

It is amazing to believe that Russia would just sit back and watch their conventional forces targeted across the world without biting back.

Edited by AlexLaw76

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

My response...not let it get there.  If Russia could be stopped, they would have been.  I have said this from the very start.

As it stands, Ukraine has had more money and resources thrown at it since February than nearly all 1st world nations have at the disposal in a year of defence spending. Yet here we are with large swathes of the their country now annexed (legally or not).

It is amazing to believe that Russia would just sit back and watch their conventional forces targeted across the world without biting back.

That’s disingenuous though as you know. Logistics are not a matter of giving Ukraine a Himars and it instantly showing up at the front ready for use.

It’s been seven months which given transportation and training sounds like a reasonable lead time and Ukraine is now starting to make huge battlefield gains with the provided equipment.

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

"Well, the Black Sea fleet took a bit of a pounding, better push the big red, 'vapourise all of our families' button."

Just now, Lighthouse said:

"Well, the Black Sea fleet took a bit of a pounding, better push the big red, 'vapourise all of our families' button."

Then we could have ended this the moment it started, if there was no real danger of this escalating to something very bad.

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Then we could have ended this the moment it started, if there was no real danger of this escalating to something very bad.

From a western military POV, this conflict has been an absolute wet dream, so far. Without firing a single shot or burying a single soldier, we've seen the mainstay of Russia's military wiped out Ukraine. We've stood back and watched, learning everything there is to know about Russia's tactics, weaknesses, leadership, equipment levels and serviceability etc. etc. without ever having to show our hand. We have drones, satellites and AEW which will know every time a Russian grunt farts in his trench.

We never wanted a war, we didn't need to send our own troops in, there's zero appetite for C17s coming back to Brize with British servicemen in wooden boxes. However, if nuclear weapons of any sort start going off in Europe, we will have to reconsider. As Aragon said, "open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Maybe, incrementally, but don't forget the western military hardware has almost been drip fed from the beginning. Ukraine faced a 15-1 artillery/MLRS disadvantage (at least), together with a massive disparity in tanks, APVs', long range missiles and aviation capability. A few hundred MANPADS and similar, a couple of hundred of artillery systems, and a mere 12/16 HIMARS systems late in the game have turned the tide. The reasons are simple enough, motivation, organisation and leadership, qualities the Russians clearly do not have with their top-heavy style of command structure and their callous disregard for their own soldiers. AFU have captured more ready to go armour from the Russians than they have received from any western source.

Regarding the "annexations", I'd like to know if the "regional governors" of Luhansk and Kherson are back in the office right now, or just shitting their pants in a Moscow hotel watching RT.

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

From a western military POV, this conflict has been an absolute wet dream, so far. Without firing a single shot or burying a single soldier, we've seen the mainstay of Russia's military wiped out Ukraine. We've stood back and watched, learning everything there is to know about Russia's tactics, weaknesses, leadership, equipment levels and serviceability etc. etc. without ever having to show our hand. We have drones, satellites and AEW which will know every time a Russian grunt farts in his trench.

We never wanted a war, we didn't need to send our own troops in, there's zero appetite for C17s coming back to Brize with British servicemen in wooden boxes. However, if nuclear weapons of any sort start going off in Europe, we will have to reconsider. As Aragon said, "open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."

Sad but true, for a fraction of their own defense budget and no loss of their soldiers the US is achieving one of their top strategic objectives in weakening Russia.

Ukraine have captured some close to top of the line Russian equipment as well (and an intact Iranian drone based on photos) which I imagine American intelligence is ecstatic about.

Edited by farawaysaint

3 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Sad but true, for a fraction of their own defense budget and no loss of their soldiers the US is achieving one of their top strategic objectives in weakening Russia.

Ukraine have captured some close to top of the line Russian equipment as well (and an intact Iranian drone based on photos) which I imagine American intelligence is ecstatic about.

I think, from a Russian POV, it's even more tragic than that and the Americans will barely give a sh*t. This isn't the cold war, Russia has been trying to cobble stuff together for the last thirty years. Uncle Sam will have picked up pretty much everything of interest when the Soviet Union collapsed and for most of Yeltsin's tenure, Russia had an economy the size of Denmark. I doubt they have any conventional weapons more advanced than the Greek or Spanish military.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I think, from a Russian POV, it's even more tragic than that and the Americans will barely give a sh*t. This isn't the cold war, Russia has been trying to cobble stuff together for the last thirty years. Uncle Sam will have picked up pretty much everything of interest when the Soviet Union collapsed and for most of Yeltsin's tenure, Russia had an economy the size of Denmark. I doubt they have any conventional weapons more advanced than the Greek or Spanish military.

It’s not the weaponry per se it’s the counter battery electronic warfare and communications and radar equipment the US will be excited for. Ukraine apparently has an arrangement with the US to pass it on. Stuff like this: 

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/ukraine-captures-russian-ew-system

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/armed-forces-of-ukraine-captured-russian-latest-counter-battery-radar-as-a-trophy-in-kharkiv-region/

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/ukraine-captures-russia-aerial-warfare-pod

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yet here we are with large swathes of the their country now annexed (legally or not).

And day by day, hour by hour, they are regaining it. 1000Km sq has been recovered since Putin's big Red Square shambles.  And in doing so, they are grinding the Russian army into fertiliser for sunflowers, and their heavy equipment into scrap - what can't be recovered, repaired, and turned around under UA colours..

I know this disappoints you, but the tide turned weeks ago, and it isn't stopping any time soon. The 'annexations' are illegal and irrelavant, even the Iranians have stated that they don't recognise them.

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I take it you haven’t been paying attention to what’s happened the past couple of weeks then?

29 minutes ago, whelk said:

Nothing new that Dominic Cummings is a right cunt but probably another on Putin’s payroll judging by his Tweets.

Imagine Cummings disappointment when 5kg of fish arrived at his door, sign here comrade.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

And day by day, hour by hour, they are regaining it. 1000Km sq has been recovered since Putin's big Red Square shambles.  And in doing so, they are grinding the Russian army into fertiliser for sunflowers, and their heavy equipment into scrap - what can't be recovered, repaired, and turned around under UA colours..

I know this disappoints you, but the tide turned weeks ago, and it isn't stopping any time soon. The 'annexations' are illegal and irrelavant, even the Iranians have stated that they don't recognise them.

“Sorry Ukraine, I know you’ve spent months gutting Russia’s forces to the point that they’re running for their lives, and have taken advantage of that to liberate territory three times the size of Belgium in the space of a few days, but you have to stop now because you’ve taken too long. If you were going to stop them you would have by now.”

Just now, badgerx16 said:

I would like to amend my earlier post - the total of liberated territory in the last 72 hours is now at over 2000Km sq.

Yeah, Ukraine have been busy in Kherson Oblast, to say the least.

It’s starting to filter through even to State TV as well, how badly it’s going for Russia, albeit with the ‘spin’ that it’s all of NATO combined that Russia are losing to.

8 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

I take it you haven’t been paying attention to what’s happened the past couple of weeks then?

Alex doesn't follow the biased mainstream media to learn what is going on. He has his own impeccable sources on Twitter. 

I watched one of Margarita Simonyan's rambles yesterday, in which among other wild claims she stated about the West that "....breast milk is banned over there".

( Yet she has used an American tutor for her children, having lived and worked in the USA, so she knows it is all BS ).

She is comedy gold, in a dark way.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63140098

not sure the Yanks have too much to worry about after seeing the shit show so far. Warnings seem quite empty now.

Lol.  The Russians are shitting themselves!

Some takeaway quotes :

"We call on Washington to stop its provocative actions that could lead to the most serious consequences," the Russian ambassador said.

I'm guessing those consequences are that Russia will lose!

Mr Antonov warned that the US decision "to continue pumping the Kiev regime with heavy weapons only secures Washington's status as a participant of the conflict".

Wait, what? Conflict?  I thought it was a 'special military operation'.

He said this would result in "protracted bloodshed and new casualties".

Very true. But I guess it's the 'Russian' ones that the Ambassador is most concerned about!

• Like 1

Seriously, after mounting international pressure, Ukraine MOD have finally revealed their losses in the war so far :

FeUUMOvWAAIuZxX.png

The T800's have proved disappointing in particular.

Edited by kyle04
  • Haha 1

On 05/10/2022 at 00:28, aintforever said:

I didn’t even realise things like the Excalibur existed, you can see why it has been one way traffic since the Ukrainians have been using NATO weapons. These shells can hit a target the size of a car from 65km away.

Blowing people up and killing and war and stuff isn't cool..... but that's fucking cool!

On 04/10/2022 at 21:28, aintforever said:

I didn’t even realise things like the Excalibur existed, you can see why it has been one way traffic since the Ukrainians have been using NATO weapons. These shells can hit a target the size of a car from 65km away.

Seems a bit excessive. Why didn't they just get someone to key it.

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Spontaneous fuel eruption or faulty wiring? (apparently not a missile but 'could' have been attacked from below)....

Still incredibly early, still unknown, but from what I've been listening to, extremely unlikely to be Ukrainian SF from below, which would have targeted the pillars.

Russian media have switched from an initial claim of a train fire that caused no damage to blaming some sort of truck bomb, which could be possible, but would be unlikely to cause damage to multiple deck sections of the bridge AND the railway section of the bridge. Their official story at the moment is basically saying that Russian security checkpoints have been utterly incompetent and let Russia's biggest logistics link be destroyed.

Some sort of missile attack seems the most plausible at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be any one explanation that fits all the evidence available at the moment.

Some footage apparently starting to emerge now as well. Whatever it was, it was a hefty explosion.