Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne RIP

Toadhall Saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne RIP

I met Warne many times and despite his status as a proper legend, he was the nicest most humble guy whenever I saw him.

I recall down at the United Services ground a proper Pompey mush came up to him and said, 'Could you come and say hello to my nipper, he's in a wheelchair over the other side of the ground?'

Shane didn't make a soft excuse like many would, he just said, 'of course, no problem mate' and off he went.

I saw him sign hundreds of autographs so many times, he didn't like to let anyone down, and when the flawed genius let the mask slip once, as it did sometimes, he even turned that around. 

He was coming off the pitch and someone shouted some abuse, Shane reacted, gave it back and told the bloke where to get off.

Ten minutes later he cooled down, came back out, went and apologised, and sat with the bloke and had a beer.

A lot of 'superstars' could learn a great deal from Shane, he was a genius, but a grounded ordinary bloke - and that's why fans loved him.

A sad day for sport.

• Like 9

What a tragic day for cricket. Marsh was a legend when I was a kid and had aspirations of being a wicky, Warne a legend when my childhood cricket aspirations had long since crumbled. 

Two greats lost on the same day RiP both, but at 52 Warne was a terrible shock.

• Like 1

Devastating bowler and very handy with the willow as well, remember his 1st test wicket(?), clean bowling Mike Gatting, who was very good v spin. His anecdotal humility dosen't surprise me, being an Aussie. Genuinely shocked at the sad news. RIP Shane, a true one-off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

Devastating bowler and very handy with the willow as well, remember his 1st test wicket(?), clean bowling Mike Gatting, who was very good v spin. His anecdotal humility dosen't surprise me, being an Aussie. Genuinely shocked at the sad news. RIP Shane, a true one-off.

First ball I think in an ashes test - clearly remember watching it and thinking - what the fuck happened there - which is what Gats face looked like.

32 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

First ball I think in an ashes test - clearly remember watching it and thinking - what the fuck happened there - which is what Gats face looked like.

Talks about ‘the ball of the century’ in the documentary. Says he never bowled one similar ever again