Elon Musk

whelk

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read some commentary this week that this was possibly his plan from the start. Massively slim down the workforce as quickly as possible, take all the flak for being evil and then appoint a new CEO who has a fresh start whilst he keeps an eye on things from afar. Would be interesting to see how things pan out eventually but the fact that twitter is still operational with thousands of employees less probably suggests that many of them weren't that necessary to begin with. 

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I read some commentary this week that this was possibly his plan from the start. Massively slim down the workforce as quickly as possible, take all the flak for being evil and then appoint a new CEO who has a fresh start whilst he keeps an eye on things from afar. Would be interesting to see how things pan out eventually but the fact that twitter is still operational with thousands of employees less probably suggests that many of them weren't that necessary to begin with. 

I saw a great analogy about how if you fire your mechanic you can keep driving your car but if it breaks down or need a tune up you’re a bit buggered.

20 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I saw a great analogy about how if you fire your mechanic you can keep driving your car but if it breaks down or need a tune up you’re a bit buggered.

That would be an issue is you fired every single mechanic but sounds like they still have quite a few thousand employees still. Guess we will see. 

40 minutes ago, Saint Luke said:

Closing it down would be a quick way to lose £44 billion or what ever it was he paid for it - can't imagine he is going to do that.

I'd go with the new CEO scenario.

Who is going to want to work for him now though?

The same type of people who enjoy working for Tesla or SpaceX I guess despite his demands on them.

There are plenty of people I imagine who would love to have Twitter on their CV. The question is more now whether the absolute best Silicon Valley have to offer will want to work their anymore given how most tech companies treat their employees vs the changes at Twitter. Probably helps as well that right now given the layoffs throughout tech that it’s not really a job seekers market right now.

Back in the day Jack Welch was famous for running GE with a policy of firing the lowest performing 10% each year. The net effect of this was that the most talented engineers avoided applying to the company as they did not want to deal with this hassle, where as it tended to attract the self important blow hards. GE is now a shadow of the company it was having divested of most of it units. Engineering and scientificly minded individuals are not necessarily the most gregarious individuals and being thrown into a dog eat dog environment won't bring out the best and will probably drive them to go elsewhere, leaving you with a B team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

The same type of people who enjoy working for Tesla or SpaceX I guess despite his demands on them.

Im not sure. Both Tesla and Space X are very technical. Musk cant interefere too much in the design or production engineering because he doesnt have the knowledge or skills. By contrast, everybody and their dog has a view on how social media should be run and thinkks they know best. I wouldnt be surprised if he fucks it up quite badly.   

Edited by buctootim

4 hours ago, Saint Luke said:

Closing it down would be a quick way to lose £44 billion or what ever it was he paid for it - can't imagine he is going to do that.

I'd go with the new CEO scenario.

Who is going to want to work for him now though?

He is staring a £44b loss in the face - the bloke is bonkers. Not savvy just lucky with Tesla when the world started to go electric.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

He is staring a £44b loss in the face - the bloke is bonkers. Not savvy just lucky with Tesla when the world started to go electric.

I don’t think he’s on a he hook for $44bn. $8bn is outside parties including the Saudi crown Prince for $2bn if I recall. So only $36bn or so 😂

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

You realise he is taking out the moderation capacity?

1 hour ago, whelk said:

You realise he is taking out the moderation capacity?

I think it's too early to say what's going to happen. Seems to be working so far with thousands of less employees despite people swearing blind that it would have collapsed already it was obvious that twitter had quite a few employees that didn't need to be there. Looks like he's reinstated a few accounts that were wrongly terminated already so that's a positive. I'm hoping he now removes ridiculous rules like being banned for so called dead naming. 

There's evidence of engineers going too, faults not being fixed and the app response slowing down as measured by independent websites. It will be interesting to see what happens during the busy period of the world cup.

Musk is part of a long tradition of rich people who become media barons to control opinion and discourse although it's difficult to say how much he's paid against how much debt has been loaded on to the company.

I've never used Twitter, but Hypochondriac only mentions being worried about not being able to dead name which as far as I can see is just being gratuitously offensive to the person concerned, so no surprise there. If he tells us who he means by wrongly terminated I suspect we won't be surprised by the list either.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

See the man baby freak has blocked APIs from 3rd Party Apps like Echofon and Tweetbot. 
I never understood anyone using the native Twitter app. Another genius move to lower the Twitter user base. Go genius go

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 11:19, badgerx16 said:

What odds on Twitter going out of business ?

Won’t happen as it is effectively owned by Saudi (they fronted the cash for Elon) so there is no way it goes under anytime soon.  They might fire old Musky though and install a CEO who isn’t quite such a ‘character’