Upcoming UK heatwave

Dark Munster

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Anyway lads and lasses, if I don’t make it through until Wednesday been nice knowing you all and although clashed with some of you of the years we’re all saints at the end of the day.

I’ve asked for a short ceremony ahead of my cremation, don’t want any tears, going underground to be played as everyone arrives at the crematorium, live forever at the end of the service and Fire by Kasabian as they send me off to the melters. Afterwards a right good drink up at the golf club as a parting gift to my mates where they can get Madhri for £3.80 a pint.

Stay safe and hope you all survive the great 2 day red warning of 2022. 

You should have a rolling screen listing all the threads you started, posts and the infractions, maybe get MLG to do a reading. We could all come out with keyboards as mark of respect like the icecream men do.

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The car parks were full. If you know Camber you will know that there is no where else to park your car legally once they are full and people usually leave their cars parked on double yellow lines as well so there is no where to park.

When you go on holiday do you think it is fun to spend two weeks sitting in a traffic jam? Perhaps I missed something but if that is the case why not just sit in the car on the drive rather than sitting in a jam between your house on the beach?

Whatabout, whatabout, two weeks, whatabout!

It's day trippers going to the beach, not people going on holiday to camber sands for a fortnight.

Good that you've forgotten you've got me on ignore again though ;)

46 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I guess a beach is classed as 'full' when there are so many people that space becomes very hard to find. I would say the beach in the picture below is full.

very-crowded-beach-full-people-costinesti-romania-august-black-sea-august-costinesti-romania-costinesti-one-33029306.jpg

Fair point, but the Rother website proudly boasts over 2 miles of golden sands plus sand dunes. That's going to take many thousands of people to fill so there is no space left...

Edited by Weston Super Saint

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Whatabout, whatabout, two weeks, whatabout!

It's day trippers going to the beach, not people going on holiday to camber sands for a fortnight.

Good that you've forgotten you've got me on ignore again though ;)

He forgot he had me on ignore as well, been a bad day for Sog 🤣

58 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-62198021

A couple ofquestions...

1. How can a beach be 'full'? ( no mention of the 'capacity' of Camber Sands on the Rother Council website here )

2. If you've got air conditioning, then being 'stuck in a car!' is one of the best things you can do in a heatwave isn't it?

Re (2) yes, with the engine running and pumping out more pollution and greenhouse gases.

• Like 1

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

In a Tesla?

If that is what you have then you should have qualified your statement. However, I am tempted to do a Ducky and call 'Pony', but as I am a generous soul I'll give you the benefit of the doubt 😉

Just now, badgerx16 said:

If that is what you have then you should have qualified your statement. However, I am tempted to do a Ducky and call 'Pony', but as I am a generous soul I'll give you the benefit of the doubt 😉

I don't have one - merely pointing out that not all cars with air con pump out pollution and greenhouse gases...

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I don't have one - merely pointing out that not all cars with air con pump out pollution and greenhouse gases...

And not all cars have air con either.

I've been to Camber sands before and if the car park is full then you're screwed. Nowhere else to park (legally) unless you fancy doing a long hike with all your beach gear in the blazing sunshine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

But the majority, including yours, do.

Edited by badgerx16

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

But the majority, including yours, do.

Rightly so. Although as Soggy would say it's all Boris's fault...

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/20281436.highway-code-drivers-face-5-000-fine-air-conditioning-car/

Air conditioning (or lack of) could see drivers punished under Highway Code rule 237 which states drivers must keep their cars “well ventilated”.

29 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/20281436.highway-code-drivers-face-5-000-fine-air-conditioning-car/

Air conditioning (or lack of) could see drivers punished under Highway Code rule 237 which states drivers must keep their cars “well ventilated”.

All cars have windows that wind down, don't they ?

45 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Except rule 237 doesn't say that. 

2 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Except rule 237 doesn't say that. 

It's a quote from the Worcester News, feel free to contact their editor and correct them...

Although it looks like it does https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/driving-in-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237

quote from the .gov link :

"Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop."

Edited by Weston Super Saint

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's a quote from the Worcester News, feel free to contact their editor and correct them...

Although it looks like it does https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/driving-in-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237

quote from the .gov link :

"Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop."

Its general advice about driving. No mention of fines. No mention of aircon. 

• Like 1

Edit: OK I realise now that was just the same article that Weston posted. But it kind of raises the question: what exactly was confusing about it? It's pretty clear from the article that they meant the car park was full, so why the vitriol towards Soggy when he pointed that out?

I think the heat may have got to a few people today.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Edit: OK I realise now that was just the same article that Weston posted. But it kind of raises the question: what exactly was confusing about it? It's pretty clear from the article that they meant the car park was full, so why the vitriol towards Soggy when he pointed that out?

I think the heat may have got to a few people today.

They pile into him all the time. Mind he calls them far right Tommy Robinson sorts as well

• Like 1

Fuck me been watch BBC Breakfast for 10 mins and you would think it was Armageddon. Don’t drive between 11 and 3pm. FFS my car has air con. Of course it may break down in which case I woud’ leave it and be burnt to death within 5 mins. Of course vulnerable people need to be careful so expect some warnings but not this level of hysteria 

59 minutes ago, whelk said:

Fuck me been watch BBC Breakfast for 10 mins and you would think it was Armageddon. Don’t drive between 11 and 3pm. FFS my car has air con. Of course it may break down in which case I woud’ leave it and be burnt to death within 5 mins. Of course vulnerable people need to be careful so expect some warnings but not this level of hysteria 

We all got told to work from home today and tomorrow so I will be on the laptop in the garden all day. Well until about two o'clock when I fully expect our shed to catch fire.

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We all got told to work from home today and tomorrow so I will be on the laptop in the garden all day. Well until about two o'clock when I fully expect our shed to catch fire.

May I recommend wearing something like this for your own safety?!

image.png.303b032832ca1e84839d535ef6a80910.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Vital guidance on Sky News….

sleep with just your duvet cover - dump your duvet!!!

if you have one, use a fan!!!

drink water!!!

😆

They’re assuming everyone will Survive until then

1 minute ago, The Left Back said:

This speaks volumes

Yes it does. You dont know the history here, Soggy loves to play the nice guy and the victim but if you dish it out then dont be suprised when you get it back. 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Chances are high of a hard-hitting climate change piece on BBC1 by the end of the week, after the 2-day climate war!

Well we managed to stop acid rain in the 80s by reducing use of hair spray so amazing what can be achieved when we all come together.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well we managed to stop acid rain in the 80s by reducing use of hair spray so amazing what can be achieved when we all come together.

According to Al Gore, we all should have died last week. 

sad times

11 hours ago, whelk said:

They pile into him all the time. Mind he calls them far right Tommy Robinson sorts as well

Not strictly true Whelk but I did upset them when calling out Robinson and Hopkins for the far right wing bigots they are. It seems if you speak up against Islamophobia, racism, homophobia, sexism etc you end up attracting a bunch of stalkers. I think most of them have got nothing better to do other than be WUMs on social media and there is something very odd about grown men stalking others for their own amusement. Still, it keeps them off the streets I guess 😉

28 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Not strictly true Whelk but I did upset them when calling out Robinson and Hopkins for the far right wing bigots they are. It seems if you speak up against Islamophobia, racism, homophobia, sexism etc you end up attracting a bunch of stalkers. I think most of them have got nothing better to do other than be WUMs on social media and there is something very odd about grown men stalking others for their own amusement. Still, it keeps them off the streets I guess 😉

Incorrect and more absolute lies. You pissed a few people of when you started, completely unfoundedly, calling some of us Trump and Robinson supporters because we disagreed with you on some topics. You also started ranting at people about being far right and racist, again because they didn't agree with you. This also went on for ages. Couple that with your pious, preachy attitude and your white saviour complex and your lies you get to where you are. This is the problem with you, you like to play the nice guy and think of yourself as some sort of voice against all sorts of discrimination but you get very spiteful and attack people that dont kiss your arse, then play the victim accusing people of trolling and stalking you. Plenty of people have said for a while you generally ask for it and get what you deserve and you do.

Currently 27 degrees in Southampton, only scheduled to get to 30 today and tomorrow so looks like we’ll miss the worst of it here on the coast. Go inland a few miles and it goes up, Winchester heading for 34/35 today. Whatever, I’m glad I cancelled playing golf today, a bit too warm.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Currently 27 degrees in Southampton, only scheduled to get to 30 today and tomorrow so looks like we’ll miss the worst of it here on the coast. Go inland a few miles and it goes up, Winchester heading for 34/35 today. Whatever, I’m glad I cancelled playing golf today, a bit too warm.

I went to the Scottish open last weekend and played Roxburghe on the sunday, it was 30 degrees then and was almost unbearable. Some of the local jocks quit because they couldn't cope with the weather. We ploughed on though as was one of the best courses i've ever played. 

Just now, Turkish said:

I went to the Scottish open last weekend and played Roxburghe on the sunday, it was 30 degrees then and was almost unbearable. Some of the local jocks quit because they couldn't cope with the weather. We ploughed on though as was one of the best courses i've ever played. 

Sometimes you’ve got to do it, but I can play my course any time I want so I’ve rescheduled for Wednesday when it’s a more reasonable temperature. My folks have got a holiday apartment on the south coast of Spain, I go there a bit, last time was in May and I played golf at a cracking course called Los Arqueros (Seve designed) when it was 32 degrees. It was actually ok, but only insofar as we had a buggy (it’s 90% buggies down there as it’s so hilly and spread out). Don’t think I’d have made it walking.

18 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Sometimes you’ve got to do it, but I can play my course any time I want so I’ve rescheduled for Wednesday when it’s a more reasonable temperature. My folks have got a holiday apartment on the south coast of Spain, I go there a bit, last time was in May and I played golf at a cracking course called Los Arqueros (Seve designed) when it was 32 degrees. It was actually ok, but only insofar as we had a buggy (it’s 90% buggies down there as it’s so hilly and spread out). Don’t think I’d have made it walking.

I've played there! Great course, i had the worst hangover of my life as was on a work golf weekend which we'd sponsored and was a mental weekend. Luckily it was quite mild even though it was mid september. Kenny Dalglish plays there, think he's got a villa close by.

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

31 where i am, expected to be 33 by 4pm, I am still alive. 

As high as 33. How will you ever cope!

Sky News have gone BIG on this issue, reporters all round the country, a live ticker on the screen. Even showing footage of the sun. 

AA817EE0-3BE6-4E4E-9C69-5D8936880810.jpeg

Edited by AlexLaw76

28 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Thank God for that. Can you please check in every couple of hours.

I think we need a 6 pm roll call. I fear that we may lose a few on this forum.  

any chance of setting up a facebook style page where we can mark ourselves as safe?

40 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

As high as 33. How will you ever cope!

Sky News have gone BIG on this issue, reporters all round the country, a live ticker on the screen. Even showing footage of the sun. 

AA817EE0-3BE6-4E4E-9C69-5D8936880810.jpeg

Film 4 doing their bit by showing White Christmas.