Upcoming UK heatwave

Dark Munster

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You do know this thread is about the UK heatwave, not the ones in Portugal, Spain and Greece?

We are twenty kilometres south of Saumur in France and it’s 43 degrees for the rest of this week.  No collapsed Old Age Pensioners in the street yet although by tomorrow we might be among them.

I remember a summer in the early 1960s when it got up to around 100 Fahrenheit. Centigrade hadn’t been invented then and Celsius was just a wet dream.

The hottest place I have ever been was the Syrian desert at Palmyra where it was over 120 Fahrenheit but very dry. The air conditioning on the coach kept it down to 96 F.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We are twenty kilometres south of Saumur in France and it’s 43 degrees for the rest of this week.  No collapsed Old Age Pensioners in the street yet although by tomorrow we might be among them.

I remember a summer in the early 1960s when it got up to around 100 Fahrenheit. Centigrade hadn’t been invented then and Celsius was just a wet dream.

The hottest place I have ever been was the Syrian desert at Palmyra where it was over 120 Fahrenheit but very dry. The air conditioning on the coach kept it down to 96 F.

You need to get yourself over to Paris if you want to see people collapsing at your feet due to the heat ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

the hottest temperatures i've been in was 45c, that was Marrakech in 2007 and the same in Puglia in 2019. It didn't really feel that hot and i didn't see anyone collapsing ih the street, despite their being rivers of them in Paris.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I have no idea as to the highest temperature I have experienced, but I have been out in -27C.

Almost same as for me, -26c in Ekaterinburg Russia. I was 22 and had never been anywhere cold before. I just thought ice was ice and it would be like a cold in Southampton. Turned up in a leather jacket jeans and trainers, no hat. List the ability to think and stand during the 300m walk from plane to terminal . 

that’s why there are the warnings about extreme heat. If you’ve never experienced extreme weather before you can be woefully unprepared 

Just now, buctootim said:

Almost same as for me, -26c in Ekaterinburg Russia. I was 22 and had never been anywhere cold before. I just thought ice was ice and it would be like a cold in Southampton. Turned up in a leather jacket jeans and trainers, no hat. List the ability to think and stand during the 300m walk from plane to terminal . 

that’s why there are the warnings about extreme heat. If you’ve never experienced extreme weather before you can be woefully unprepared 

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the hottest temperatures i've been in was 45c, that was Marrakech in 2007 and the same in Puglia in 2019. It didn't really feel that hot and i didn't see anyone collapsing ih the street, despite their being rivers of them in Paris.

Hottest in this country was Lake District four years ago when WC 2018 was on. I have a picture of my car thermometer showing 36 degrees Celsius and the forecast backed that up. There was surface liquid on the roads, I thought ‘It’s not rained for days’ and then could smell the melting tarmac. Made driving on Hardknott Pass interesting!

Overseas, Ghent in Belgium hit the ton when we were there July 2003. Belgium has wonderful ales but not the right day to try them! Lanzarote got very hot one year, group of lads from Burnley we met whose backs were the same colour as their club’s shirts. 

7 minutes ago, buctootim said:

It’s 32 degrees here in Southampton so not extreme as Sky News hope it will be

sitting in garden with a cold cider. I know I have been a fool and should have my head in a frozen pillow case but I will take my chance

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That was a regular summer day when I lived in Blakpool - 50mph winds horizontal off the sea too ;)

It's not a windy day in Blackpool unless the spray from the waves breaking over the prom is hitting the third floor windows of the Tower building. On just such a day we came into our 2nd floor office one morning to find the slates from the roof of the building opposite, level with our windows, had blown across the road and straight through the newly installed double glazing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

It’s 32 degrees here in Southampton so not extreme as Sky News hope it will be

sitting in garden with a cold cider. I know I have been a fool and should have my head in a frozen pillow case but I will take my chance

Yep about 34c here in Sussex , but Ive got friends in London in 38c and forecast hotter tomorrow. But we all know, or should know, the warnings arent aimed at most of the population. Its a bit like covid - anybody healthy, not obese and under 70 is going to have enough physical resiliance almost regardless of what they do.  But for vulnerable people 40c is genuinely life threatening if you don't do the right things. And if you've never been abroad before.... . 

Edited by buctootim

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

41.3 is the highest from my back garden (but the sensor is on the back wall which acts like an oven baking in the sun all day).

JUst been to my sons futsal session, they kept them on despite fears of death. It was about 32c although the car said 44c, quite pleasant sitting in a deck chair watching them, was just a light session, few skills stuff and a penalty competition at the end, whereas usually they'll play pretty intense 4 a side matches for the last 20 minutes. No one collapsed, all the lads enjoyed it and cant wait for wednesdays session.

Edited by Turkish

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

There was surface liquid on the roads, I thought ‘It’s not rained for days’ and then could smell the melting tarmac. Made driving on Hardknott Pass interesting!

At least you weren't riding up it!

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

JUst been to my sons futsal session, they kept them on despite fears of death. It was about 32c although the car said 44c, quite pleasant sitting in a deck chair watching them, was just a light session, few skills stuff and a penalty competition at the end, whereas usually they'll play pretty intense 4 a side matches for the last 20 minutes. No one collapsed, all the lads enjoyed it and cant wait for wednesdays session.

Overwhelmed I tell you, the beds are overwhelmed. Death all around us.  This county's media is mental. 

Day 2 - still here. Went to the gym early this morning, much to dismay todays WOD was 3 x 400 metre run, 30 sits ups, 20 pulls, 400 metre run. THe bastards made us go outside! Dont they know there is a heat wave on. Somehow managed to battle through it with the other 13 hardy souls in the group. Gym putting on free water refills today, ice water, strawberry or lemon, owner must be labour support, a tory gym owner would be stood by the doorway laughing at everyone dying why he pockets your cash. Depsite the intense workout incredibly didn't see anyone collapsing.

On the way despite being stuck in a bit of traffic against the advise of the Kent Gazzette managed to make it home without burning to death. Just waved son off to school and wife off to work, hope they make it home alive, i guess they thought the same about leaving me working from home, although my life insurance policy means i'm worth more to them dead than alive, every cloud and all that. 

Good luck to everyone today, stay safe and stay alive.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, buctootim said:

Yep about 34c here in Sussex , but Ive got friends in London in 38c and forecast hotter tomorrow. But we all know, or should know, the warnings arent aimed at most of the population. Its a bit like covid - anybody healthy, not obese and under 70 is going to have enough physical resiliance almost regardless of what they do.  But for vulnerable people 40c is genuinely life threatening if you don't do the right things. And if you've never been abroad before.... . 

The warnings make sense because the UK population time and time again proves themselves to be complete idiots. They don't need to do it in other countries because they are used to it, they stay in the shade, they drink plenty of water etc. We have a population that go prancing around in the midday sun without sun cream on and burn like lobsters. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

You do know this thread is about the UK heatwave, not the ones in Portugal, Spain and Greece?

You do know that the UK is part of Europe and just because we have left the EU it doesn’t mean to say we are part of a completely different meteorological system to the rest of the continent now?  Keep on stalking and making your fatuous comments Turkish. You are managing to make Liz Truss look like a decent prospect for our next PM.

Where is this hot weather coming from? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62166766

Edited by sadoldgit
Add info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You do know that the UK is part of Europe and just because we have left the EU it doesn’t mean to say we are part of a completely different meteorological system to the rest of the continent now?  Keep on stalking and making your fatuous comments Turkish. You are managing to make Liz Truss look like a decent prospect for our next PM.

The subject of the thread is UK Heatwave. You posted a doomsday link to a stuff going on elsehwere giving it all "nothing to worry about" dont get upset because you screwed up. i see you managed to get a dig at the tories in as well :lol: 

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just been out trimming our grape vine. The garden thermometer in our back garden, hanging on a North facing fence and shaded by a pear tree, is showing 35 degrees C.

I heard rumours of something similar.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just been out trimming our grape vine. The garden thermometer in our back garden, hanging on a North facing fence and shaded by a pear tree, is showing 35 degrees C.

You went outside? Are you crazy?!!

Woooo, highest ever temperature recorded in UK at Heathrow at just over 40C. We did it guys.

(38 where I am now, not pleasant with a breeze like yesterday but no bodies in the streets either. Of course they have shut down a bunch of trains for some reason…)

Edited by farawaysaint

6 hours ago, tajjuk said:

The warnings make sense because the UK population time and time again proves themselves to be complete idiots. They don't need to do it in other countries because they are used to it, they stay in the shade, they drink plenty of water etc. We have a population that go prancing around in the midday sun without sun cream on and burn like lobsters. 

Mad dogs and Englishmen ….

6 hours ago, tajjuk said:

This. A fair proportion of the UK public are dickheads. Public health messaging like this always has to aim low, that's why we have 'may contain nuts' written on packets of peanuts. It's always guaranteed to prompt the same response about a nanny state from certain bell-ends though.

• Like 2

Feels like Southampton is through the worst of it. It was 34 when I was driving round earlier but seems to be around 28 now, pretty cloudy, and the temperature dropping. At this rate I may have to wear a sweatshirt to play golf in tomorrow Ffs. At least the temperature inside will be acceptable tonight, will get those upstairs windows open later for some cool, cool air.

Edit: and now it’s pissing it down.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2022 at 16:55, Weston Super Saint said:

You need to get yourself over to Paris if you want to see people collapsing at your feet due to the heat ;) 

I was in Hyde Park last weekend for the BST concert and in just the area that I was standing 3 people collapsed from the heat. That was 'only' about 30/31 degrees.

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What's going on in London now is pretty frightning.They're struggling to contain fires all over the shop apparently.

Another house was also destroyed in the Wennington fire this afternoon which was seen from above in this Sky News aerial

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Must be fake news. Loads of people on this thread have told us it's just normal summer weather and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Must be fake news. Loads of people on this thread have told us it's just normal summer weather and nothing to worry about.

Of course it's 'normal summer weather' for there to be grass fires when the grass is dry.

They've even set up a taskforce in Wales (6 years ago!) to tackle them https://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/19969309.2-000-grass-fires-dealt-2021-across-wales/

Edited by Weston Super Saint

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Feels like Southampton is through the worst of it. It was 34 when I was driving round earlier but seems to be around 28 now, pretty cloudy, and the temperature dropping. At this rate I may have to wear a sweatshirt to play golf in tomorrow Ffs. At least the temperature inside will be acceptable tonight, will get those upstairs windows open later for some cool, cool air.

Edit: and now it’s pissing it down.

Do you think I may have been a bit hasty borrowing to start my own frozen pillow cases business?

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Do you think I may have been a bit hasty borrowing to start my own frozen pillow cases business?

Nah. Fear sells. You might need an ‘in’ with a local meteorologist to start peddling doom about 30 degrees being the new normal, but it’s doable, people will believe anything these days.