Upcoming UK heatwave

Dark Munster

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hopefully, the expected Ice Age will not be too far away, noting that everything is melting

image.png.779770b9e7e59f9119735fa79138581b.png

The Earth has been much warmer than it is now, it has also been much colder. These extreme events have happened on many occasions during the planet's lifetime, before humans evolved. The prevailing view at the time that was published was that a cooler period was overdue. Since then science has progressed and new evidence has arisen; this too has happened many times - at one point in time the Earth was thought to be flat, it was also thought to be at the centre of the Solar System, but both of these views have been superceded as new science has developed.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.394990586278edf65a63d8c822746d93.png

What do you think this is? I see a list of predictions (with the word "could" replaced by "will" for dramatic effect) that have turned out to be incorrect, interspersed with a few bits of made up bollocks fir good measure.

What about the 50 year old models that have proven to be accurate?

https://www.science.org/content/article/even-50-year-old-climate-models-correctly-predicted-global-warming

What are your expert thoughts on that?

Completely irrespective of what predictions may or may not have come true in the last 50 years, the facts are these:

The five hottest days ever recorded in the UK have been since 2000.

Four of the five hottest days have been in the last 3 years.

Three of the five hottest days have been in the last 2 years.

The temperature recorded today at Coningsby beat the previous UK record by an eye-watering 1.6 degrees.

So, in your expert opinion, do you think the people who have been telling us the world is warming were right or wrong?

Actually, given that you are so fucking thick you actually tried to argue that a forecast of 40 degrees doesn't qualify as over 40 degrees*, please don't answer that.

* it was 40.3 today BTW. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What do you think this is? I see a list of predictions (with the word "could" replaced by "will" for dramatic effect) that have turned out to be incorrect, interspersed with a few bits of made up bollocks fir good measure.

What about the 50 year old models that have proven to be accurate?

https://www.science.org/content/article/even-50-year-old-climate-models-correctly-predicted-global-warming

What are your expert thoughts on that?

Completely irrespective of what predictions may or may not have come true in the last 50 years, the facts are these:

The five hottest days ever recorded in the UK have been since 2000.

Four of the five hottest days have been in the last 3 years.

Three of the five hottest days have been in the last 2 years.

The temperature recorded today at Coningsby beat the previous UK record by an eye-watering 1.6 degrees.

So, in your expert opinion, do you think the people who have been telling us the world is warming were right or wrong?

Actually, given that you are so fucking thick you actually tried to argue that a forecast of 40 degrees doesn't qualify as over 40 degrees*, please don't answer that.

* it was 40.3 today BTW. 

Calm down mate.  I only have a different view to your (slightly hysterical) view.

Just pointing out that every generation is 100% correct. Science develops, and we find out they were not.  

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Calm down mate.  I only have a different view to your (slightly hysterical) view.

Just pointing out that every generation is 100% correct. Science develops, and we find out they were not.  

Oh FFS, how do you not get this?

For every incorrect prediction in your list there were numerous ones around the same time that were correct.

The unscrupulous pricks that produce the kind of graphics you shared only focus on the incorrect ones and completely ignore the correct ones, to make it appear that the incorrect predictions were the overwhelming scientific consensus of the time when they absolutely weren't.

They do this because they know that ignorant, unthinking idiots will take it at face value and repeat it as fact so as to muddy the waters of debate, to benefit their fossil fuel benefactors. 

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Oh FFS, how do you not get this?

For every incorrect prediction in your list there were numerous ones around the same time that were correct.

The unscrupulous pricks that produce the kind of graphics you shared only focus on the incorrect ones and completely ignore the correct ones, to make it appear that the incorrect predictions were the overwhelming scientific consensus of the time when they absolutely weren't.

They do this because they know that ignorant, unthinking idiots will take it at face value and repeat it as fact so as to muddy the waters of debate, to benefit their fossil fuel benefactors. 

You really need to calm down mate.  A leading UK scientist was interviewed on Sky News today saying we have 2 years to save the next 200.

Just calm down, no need to get so angry because someone does not fully buy-in to the absolute hysteria we have got over the last couple of days, from journalists, scientists and MPs.

"The UK is on fire" - "The UK is melting" - "2 years to save the next 200"  - "prepare for upto 10,000 deaths" 

None of the above is true, is it. 

8 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is everything that's wring with modern day 'debate'...

Idiots who get all their info on a subject from places like Breitbart or Spiked, thinking their 'opinion' is just as valid as that of people who have studied and worked in the field.

What about debating with someone and saying “given you’re so fucking thick”? When trying to get your pout over, quality discussion, yes?

Edited by Turkish

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You really need to calm down mate.  A leading UK scientist was interviewed on Sky News today saying we have 2 years to save the next 200.

Just calm down, no need to get so angry because someone does not fully buy-in to the absolute hysteria we have got over the last couple of days, from journalists, scientists and MPs.

"The UK is on fire" - "The UK is melting" - "2 years to save the next 200"  - "prepare for upto 10,000 deaths" 

Two years? So no need to rush then :)

30 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I’m sure if you check the coronavirus thread it’s the same people that were shitting themselves about the predictions of 1m infections and tens of thousands of deaths a day from omicron. Werent those predictions made by “people who study and work in that field” 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

On this subject it seems hysteria is not allowed, climate change is just a figment of woke imaginations and Covid was just a kind of 'flu' thingy. Is that about right? 😁 Oh, and is everyone still alive?

Edited by Winnersaint

6 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

On this subject it seems hysteria is not allowed, climate change is just a figment of woke imaginations and Covid was just a kind of 'flu' thingy. Is that about right?

Something no one has said. 

I remember as a kid when the summers were crap my mum blaming polution for the crap summers we used to have and how much better they were when she was a kid. I guess that's done a full 180 now and the crap summers we used to have are now being replaced by hot summers because of polution. 

BTW is there still a hole in the ozone layer? I remember hearing lots about that 30 years ago but seems to have gone quiet, Acid rain has stopped as well.

13 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

On this subject it seems hysteria is not allowed, climate change is just a figment of woke imaginations and Covid was just a kind of 'flu' thingy. Is that about right? 😁

No... hysteria isn't justified and achieves nothing. If it's hot, try to stay cool and drink plenty of fluids. It ain't complicated. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Something no one has said. 

I remember as a kid when the summers were crap my mum blaming polution for the crap summers we used to have and how much better they were when she was a kid. I guess that's done a full 180 now and the crap summers we used to have are now being replaced by hot summers because of polution. 

BTW is there still a hole in the ozone layer? I remember hearing lots about that 30 years ago but seems to have gone quiet, Acid rain has stopped as well.

We took action to ban the use of CFC gasses in products like deodorant and it seems to have had the desired effect. Likewise acid rain has been tackled by environmental restrictions on emissions of sulfur and other chemicals. These aren't things which just went away on their own because they were some eighties media fad, they required positive action.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Those things got fixed because the world took action. And the world took action because the voices for change were louder and more compelling than the voices for resistance to change.

the same dynamics are in play today. The differences are that the solutions needed for change are more demanding and less palatable, leading to louder and more compelling voices of resistance to change. 

Edited by The Left Back
Sorry lighthouse, didn’t see you post before I replied
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, egg said:

No... hysteria isn't justified and achieves nothing. If it's hot, try to still cool and drink plenty if fluids. It ain't complicated. 

Which I think most of us did over the last few days, hence my question at the end. Seems to me the reporting was over the top. That said there are plenty of people in this country who get it wrong in the conditions, sometimes with tragic consequences, so how to get through to them is a key issue. Maybe they're just auditioning for the Darwin Awards so perhaps we just let them get on with it.

Am I allowed to teach climate change next year btw? Just checking. Someone on here in the past, can't remember who, maybe GM but not sure, berated me in the past for teaching the geography of climate change. saying I was unqualified to do so as I wasn't a scientist. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Protocol

The Montreal Protocol is an international treaty designed to protect the ozone layer by phasing out the production of numerous substances that are responsible for ozone depletion. It was agreed on 16 September 1987, and entered into force on 1 January 1989. Since then, it has undergone nine revisions, in 1990 (London), 1991 (Nairobi), 1992 (Copenhagen), 1993 (Bangkok), 1995 (Vienna), 1997 (Montreal), 1998 (Australia), 1999 (Beijing) and 2016 (Kigali)[1][2][3] As a result of the international agreement, the ozone hole in Antarctica is slowly recovering.[4] Climate projections indicate that the ozone layer will return to 1980 levels between 2050 and 2070.[5][6][7] Due to its widespread adoption and implementation, it has been hailed as an example of successful international co-operation. Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan stated that "perhaps the single most successful international agreement to date has been the Montreal Protocol".

The reason this was successful was because it didn't represent an existential threat to the continued profiteering of a handful of corporations with enormous lobbying power over neoliberal governments.

Unlike the situation with GHG emission reduction, the world was able to implement the necessary changes without strong resistance from those with a huge vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

Am I allowed to teach climate change next year btw? Just checking. Someone on here in the past, can't remember who, maybe GM but not sure, berated me in the past for teaching the geography of climate change. saying I was unqualified to do so as I wasn't a scientist. 

According to some on here you're only allowed an opinion if you're a scientist (unless your opinion is the same as theres) so the answer to this would be, no.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We took action to ban the use of CFC gasses in products like deodorant and it seems to have had the desired effect. Likewise acid rain has been tackled by environmental restrictions on emissions of sulfur and other chemicals. These aren't things which just went away on their own because they were some eighties media fad, they required positive action.

Indeed, and there were people back in the 70s and 80s who didn't believe in Acid Rain. 

I think we know the types.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Indeed, and there were people back in the 70s and 80s who didn't believe in Acid Rain. 

And there were people who believed they were going to die if they left the house.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

That, more than anything else you've written marks you down as clueless  

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, with 'mad Vlad', 'Sleepy Joe' and one of either Sunak or Truss in charge of the apocalyptic big red buttons, it might not be the climate that kills us all.

Don't forget Macron has his own mushroom cloud generators.

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, with 'mad Vlad', 'Sleepy Joe' and one of either Sunak or Truss in charge of the apocalyptic big red buttons, it might not be the climate that kills us all.

That lot couldn’t find it let alone know how it works. 

anyway I thought it was going to be Bill Gates that kills us all (when was the date BTW).

Edited by Toadhall Saint