Upcoming UK heatwave

Dark Munster

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Hope all of you over there in Blighty can find a way to stay cool next Monday and Tuesday. What are your plans?

I can't imagine 38C or higher without air conditioning. 🙁

I'm relocating to the car for the day. That or Macdonalds  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Exciting times, in what is usually known as “Summer”

Apart from the fact that the Met Office has issued its first ever red warning of extreme heat, and all the indications are that UK records are about to be smashed with some places exceeding 40 degrees for the first time in history... yeah. Just a perfectly normal British summer.

Do you ever actually stop and think before you post?

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Apart from the fact that the Met Office has issued its first ever red warning of extreme heat, and all the indications are that UK records are about to be smashed with some places exceeding 40 degrees for the first time in history... yeah. Just a perfectly normal British summer.

I'm not downplaying thr heateave. It does sound like it's going to be pretty extreme and there's a pretty obvious and worrying long term trend with the climate.

However, whilst you are correct that it is the first EVER red heat warning, the extreme heat warning system was only introduced in 2021...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

When did these particular warnings start? 2021 or something like that…..

when you say “in history”, you really mean in the last 100 years or so, right?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Working 06:30hrs to 14:30hrs - so sitting in an air-conditioned office as much as I can get away with. There's 4 hours overtime going after my shift on Tuesday and I'm very tempted to take it.

I always used to find an excuse to work in one of the computer rooms on very warm days.

What a load of old pony. We go on holiday to get into the sun, but now need telling how to cope with it. I spent years working on building sites in Florida, god knows how I survived without the British nanny state telling me how to look after myself. Hopefully they’ll be updating us on how to cope with the cold weather in winter. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

when you say “in history”, you really mean in the last 100 years or so, right?

I mean in the recorded history of temperature records, as in since the mid 19th century. 

I didn't realise the heat warning system was only introduced last year, admittedly. But the point is you're trying to make out this kind of heatwave is perfectly normal, when it most definitely isn't.

Or at least it hasn't been up until now, but is likely to become normal with the changing climate.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

I mean in the recorded history of temperature records, as in since the mid 19th century. 

I didn't realise the heat warning system was only introduced last year, admittedly. But the point is you're trying to make out this kind of heatwave is perfectly normal, when it most definitely isn't.

Or at least it hasn't been up until now, but is likely to become normal with the changing climate.

so, in history = the last 150 years or so.

Warnings = since 2021.

Great.  Now, enjoy the nice weather.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yes, because that is the extent of the 'history' of temperature records.

Do you actually understand the meaning of the word?

you could have said "since records began"...as opposed "in history"

Anyway, stay safe and have an ice lolly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I won't be making any lifestyle changes whatsoever until I hear Matthew Le Tissier's views on the subject.

As if by magic, a complete non-statement which offers absolutely no insight or opinion at all into anything.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. We go on holiday to get into the sun, but now need telling how to cope with it. I spent years working on building sites in Florida, god knows how I survived without the British nanny state telling me how to look after myself. Hopefully they’ll be updating us on how to cope with the cold weather in winter. 

You obviously have experience of living and working in such temperatures, and therefore you know what precautions to take. That's fine. But why do you assume the warnings are aimed at you?

There are of course places in the world where these temperatures are considered normal and nobody needs 'nanny' to tell them what to do. My brother and his family, for instance, live in Bahrain where it regularly gets into the high 40s. Buy they live in an air conditioned apartment and they know damn well not to go and sit outside in the mid afternoon sun.

Unfortunately, as such temperatures are so rare in this country, people aren't used to it, so they do need to be educated and informed about the dangers. Because people, in general, can be pretty stupid. There will undoubtedly be loads of young lads in the coming days taking Batman's advice and enjoying the nice weather with a few beers in the park, probably completely oblivious of the risk of severe sunstroke. There will be people stupidly out walking their dogs on hot tarmac that will burn their paws. The list goes on.

So you maybe don't need warning because you can rely on your common sense, but not everyone is in the same boat.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 2

And I will be watching the Open and the cricket whilst in and out of the garden. Steak on BBQ for lunch and haven’t quite decided what to have tea, I wil!probably have a couple of beers and also drink some water. I also do like to have a biscuit at 315pm. Further updates to follow 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

And I will be watching the Open and the cricket whilst in and out of the garden. Steak on BBQ for lunch and haven’t quite decided what to have tea, I wil!probably have a couple of beers and also drink some water. I also do like to have a biscuit at 315pm. Further updates to follow 

stay safe mate.  Keep an eye out on updated government survival guidance!

My own view, if an ice lolly loses its effect, move on to a calippo 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Unfortunately, as such temperatures are so rare in this country, people aren't used to it, so they do need to be educated and informed about the dangers. Because people, in general, can be pretty stupid.

Thinking outside the box, maybe if the Gov't didn't put out it's warnings it could save the NHS some money in the long run.  #joinedupthinking

8 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

It’s great, what the uk call an unprecedented and dangerous heatwave Europe and Africa just call “summer”.

That'd make perfect sense if most of Europe wasn't suffering from a pretty intense heatwave too.

As others have said  of course Africa is hotter. It not solely the temperature that's going to potentially cause problems. It's people's ability to adapt as necessary and, unfortunately,  there's a lot if idiots in this country that won't take sensible precautions.

8 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

That'd make perfect sense if most of Europe wasn't suffering from a pretty intense heatwave too.

As others have said  of course Africa is hotter. It not solely the temperature that's going to potentially cause problems. It's people's ability to adapt as necessary and, unfortunately,  there's a lot if idiots in this country that won't take sensible precautions.

Do you mean to say that obese smokers in their fifties, sitting in direct sun all afternoon, drinking alcohol and not touching a drop of water or sun cream might have some problems?

17 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

It’s great, what the uk call an unprecedented and dangerous heatwave Europe and Africa just call “summer”.

The UK experiences temperatures normally observed in central Spain, central Spain is at the temperature usually found in the Sahara, and the Indian sub-continent bakes at over 50 degrees C.

Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Do you mean to say that obese smokers in their fifties, sitting in direct sun all afternoon, drinking alcohol and not touching a drop of water or sun cream might have some problems?

Stay indoors, save lives, protect the NHS.

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The UK experiences temperatures normally observed in central Spain, central Spain is at the temperature usually found in the Sahara, and the Indian sub-continent bakes at over 50 degrees C.

Nothing to worry about.

Oh I’m a firm believer in climate change. I think it’s a huge issue. I don’t think the current temperatures in the UK are unmanageable however and I think issuing a health warning for 30C temperatures is a bit over the top.

Edited by farawaysaint

6 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Oh I’m a firm believer in climate change. I think it’s a huge issue. I don’t think the current temperatures in the UK are unmanageable however and I think issuing a health warning for 30C temperatures is a bit over the top.

Perhaps it is "the wrong kind of heat", to go with our perennial snow problems.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d3ac025669e11b8693236aed96720d92.jpeg

10 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Oh I’m a firm believer in climate change. I think it’s a huge issue, I don’t think the current temperatures in the UK are unmanageable however and I think issuing a health warning for 30C temperatures is a bit over the top.

It's forecast to be over 40 in some places though. That really is unprecedented.

In southern Europe these temperatures are not unusual, so they have customs (like businesses closing during the hottest part of the day) and infrastructure in place to cope. We don't.

The vast majority of UK homes don't have A/C. In hotter European countries the opposite is true.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's forecast to be over 40 in some places though. That really is unprecedented.

In southern Europe these temperatures are not unusual, so they have customs (like businesses closing during the hottest part of the day) and infrastructure in place to cope. We don't.

The vast majority of UK homes don't have A/C. In hotter European countries the opposite is true.

Over?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcpvj0v07#?date=2022-07-18

Forecast for Southampton is a normal peak summer day

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcp185f25#?date=2022-07-16

Edited by AlexLaw76

47 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-heatwave-met-office-red-warning-extreme-heat-1743621

"There is a 50 per cent chance of temperatures reaching 40C somewhere in the UK, likely along the A1 corridor."

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Right, a bit different from "over"...As per, I am sure that is my fault for not understanding what you really meant

Why are you being a prat about it? When parts of France recorded temperatures of over 40c a few years ago 15,000 people died. It's a real thing and real story. I'm sure there was some French equivalent of you whining that their town was only 30c so no-one should say anything

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Right, a bit different from "over"...As per, I am sure that is my fault for not understanding what you really meant

Fuck me, are you seriously this dim?

The instant a thermometer hits 40 degrees, that is classed as OVER 40 degrees, as in it has gone OVER the 40 degree mark.

• Haha 1

I remember (just), the summer of '76.  Standpipes in the street so families could get water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

It was a close run thing as to whether all those buckets fetched and carried down the road were worth the hassle of filling the paddling pool, but it all worked out well in the end.

6 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You really are a proper little wet lettuce aren’t you. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I remember (just), the summer of '76.  Standpipes in the street so families could get water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

It was a close run thing as to whether all those buckets fetched and carried down the road were worth the hassle of filling the paddling pool, but it all worked out well in the end.

I was doing my O levels that summer, the hall at KES was not a cool place. Who is going to be this year's Dennis Howell ?

Edited by badgerx16