Relegation prices thread 2022/23.

tisspahars

Yes, it's that time again folks......3/1 is the opening price this year, a figure that those convinced we are entering a very different era under our new owners will find laughable - as will those that see a team in freefall at the end of last year that has been patched up by some unproven kids. The happy clappers have had the last laugh historically on this thread - is this the year the bedwetters fight back? The next 38 games will tell us......

45 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Yes, it's that time again folks......3/1 is the opening price this year, a figure that those convinced we are entering a very different era under our new owners will find laughable - as will those that see a team in freefall at the end of last year that has been patched up by some unproven kids. The happy clappers have had the last laugh historically on this thread - is this the year the bedwetters fight back? The next 38 games will tell us......

Based on the odds where are they placing us in the table? Very hard to place us this year. 

Straight into 5/2 after a dismal opening day. The bedwetters will feel it should have been cut to a shorter price still (despite the result being basically what they predicted) whilst the happy clappers will see it as an over-reaction, although they too are now wondering what might become of Ralph if next weekend goes badly.....

Down to 2/1 after the draw with Leeds - bedwetters were preparing to take out second mortgages to get more on after an hour, whereas the happy clappers having seen a glimpse of the future in the last 20 minutes are after clarification that 2/1 is not the price for European qualification.

• Haha 1

Having seen a bit of all the teams, what do people think for the relegation battle this season?

Forest were a bit lucky today against WHU but they have clesrly signed some good players, with more to come - and have a good manager. Might take them a bit of time but I think they will end up being fairly comfortable. Shame they made it up as Hudds would have surely taken one of the relegation spots.

Fulham - will be down there but early signs suggest they are not going to be terrible and unlike last time they play to Mitrovic's strengths and he is a goalscorer.

Bournemouth - hard to tell as learn nothing from the City game but unless they do a lot of business surely they will struggle to stay up.

Brentford - despite lots of people on here mentioning them I don't think they will be one of the three worst teams. Clever signings, good manager and Toney a good focal point for them.

Leeds - lost their two best players but have signed well so far and off to a solid start.

Everton - poor so far, and have lost Richarlison. Onana cameo promising for them and you would think with Coady and Tarkowski they find a way to be solid enough. Will be interesting to see which striker they sign in comparison with us, as imagine the requirements are fairly similar albeit they have more cash.

I've seen others like Wolves and Leicester mentioned but personally would be amazed if anyone else (excluding us of course) has much of a problem staying up this season. The likes of West Ham, Brighton, Palace, Villa, Newcastle all have too much quality in key areas to be involved.

So...are we better than 3 of those 6 teams? Going to be very tight IMO, and anyone external who is predicting us to go down is taking a pretty logical view I think. Hopefully a few of these sides are below us after the Leicester, Utd and Chelsea games but most have had a decent enough start and I don't think this is a season when two teams are buried after 20 games. 

We were 3/1 for relegation at the start of start of last season and slightly shorted odds this year.

It will be very tight again this season unless we can get a decent striker and cover at left back.

That said Leeds fans have said the same and there are other clubs eg Everton and Wolves who are chasing 15 goal strikers

• 2 weeks later...

Having come in again to around 7/4 in the days leading up to the Leicester game we are now just north of 2/1 following our win there. Seems very short to me! I would say most Saints fans are more hopeful now than they were at the start of the season and yet we are considerably shorter to go down than we were then.....

5 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Having come in again to around 7/4 in the days leading up to the Leicester game we are now just north of 2/1 following our win there. Seems very short to me! I would say most Saints fans are more hopeful now than they were at the start of the season and yet we are considerably shorter to go down than we were then.....

Probably because other teams have picked up points that you wouldn't have expected, Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest have both already got a win under their belt, Brighton, Leeds have got 2 wins, Brentford beat Man Utd, teams at the bottom you wouldn't expect to be there at the end of the season, (Liverpool, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Everton, Man Utd, Villa) - big clubs.

• Like 1

I agree with that in part but surely a bigger factor in your chance of being relegated is the likelihood of you getting to 38 points (or whatever ends up being needed) rather than who might finish below you? Put another way, if we get 42 points this year but, by some miracle, the promoted teams all get 43 I am absolutely certain we will still not be relegated.

Strange to see us now joint 3rd favourites to go down, having been 6th favourites during pre-season.  It's very early days for such a shift in market.  It will be interesting to see where we are at after 10 games (which IMO is when we can get a first realistic view of everyone and how things are shaking down). I guess it supports the view of the other thread that it's harder this season to pick clear relegation fodder.

I noticed Man U were 4/1 to win at home last night - can't think that has ever likely to have been the case before. Just shows you can't always relying on popular wisdom/betting patterns/bookies thankfully.

5 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Strange to see us now joint 3rd favourites to go down, having been 6th favourites during pre-season.  It's very early days for such a shift in market.  It will be interesting to see where we are at after 10 games (which IMO is when we can get a first realistic view of everyone and how things are shaking down). I guess it supports the view of the other thread that it's harder this season to pick clear relegation fodder.

I noticed Man U were 4/1 to win at home last night - can't think that has ever likely to have been the case before. Just shows you can't always relying on popular wisdom/betting patterns/bookies thankfully.

I think we're a bit of an unknown to the media and other fans, and somewhat irrelevant to be honest. I have seen comments from other fans and even the media suggesting that we ''need to spend'' as we can't keep this 'sell to buy' policy and expect to stay up. This may be the season it catches up with us, so they say.

But I'm confused as to why of all seasons they are spouting this now, as it's the total opposite this year. We haven’t sold anyone. Lazy and uninformed I guess.

3 hours ago, tisspahars said:

At the moment I think we have every chance of being relegated unless we get in another 2 or 3 high class players

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Probably because other teams have picked up points that you wouldn't have expected, Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest have both already got a win under their belt, Brighton, Leeds have got 2 wins, Brentford beat Man Utd, teams at the bottom you wouldn't expect to be there at the end of the season, (Liverpool, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Everton, Man Utd, Villa) - big clubs.

And here lies the problem. Some of the teams that will be bottom 6 come seasons end have got lucky with the fixture list. When we come to play United and Liverpool, they will be on top form and kick out ass. 

That said, as negative as I am, I can see alot of the aforementioned teams dropping silly points later in the season. No way are Liverpool and United gonna be bottom half sides and no way Brighton and Fulham etc will be top 6. 

We will go down with the squad and manager as is, no question. But I believe we will sign better and probably change manager around works cup time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Gurj said:

And here lies the problem. Some of the teams that will be bottom 6 come seasons end have got lucky with the fixture list. When we come to play United and Liverpool, they will be on top form and kick out ass. 

That said, as negative as I am, I can see alot of the aforementioned teams dropping silly points later in the season. No way are Liverpool and United gonna be bottom half sides and no way Brighton and Fulham etc will be top 6. 

We will go down with the squad and manager as is, no question. But I believe we will sign better and probably change manager around works cup time. 

Don't think SR will change the manager and I don't think we'll sign loads of quality between now and the end of the window.

• Like 1

For those that don’t have a subscription:

Which three clubs now look most in danger of being relegated?
Jack Lang: Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth, Everton

James Horncastle: Bournemouth, Forest, Everton

Sarah Shephard: Bournemouth, Leicester, Wolves

Nick Miller: Bournemouth, Leicester and Fulham.

Oliver Kay: Previously I said Bournemouth, Forest and Southampton. I’ll stick with Bournemouth, I’ll hesitantly stick with Forest and… if Southampton keep playing the way they have, it’s going to be bad news for someone else. Everton? Villa? Leicester? Wolves? So hard to predict.

Carl Anka: I predicted Fulham and Bournemouth to go straight back down and Nottingham Forest to pip Leeds to 17th on the final day.
I’ll tweak this now as Leeds looked good against Everton and should be OK if Patrick Bamford, Tyler Adams and Sinisterra are fit. Fulham will finish 18th, but I’m now asking the waiter if they have humble pie on the menu, as Aleksandar Mitrovic has turned out to be Premier League quality after all.

Nancy Frostick: Bournemouth, Everton, Fulham.

Liam Tharme: Leicester for their (lack of) window activity, Aston Villa tactically and Bournemouth for weirdly sacking Scott Parker (above) so early into the season.

Pol Ballus: Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, Southampton.

Maram AlBaharna: Bournemouth, Southampton, Nottingham Forest.

• Like 1

Bournemouth will go down, I am sure.

The rest, god knows.  Every team has added this window (and/or the last).

Leicester - look in trouble, but Rogers will probably be gone soon and they have some good players still.

Wolves  - are down there but they have some excellent players, just struggling to score (sounds familiar). 

Forest - feck knows, but would be hilarious

Us - depends if we tighten up enough to mitigate against the lack of goals (on paper)

Brentford - Look good again and appear to have added well.  They also have a good manager

I think Brighton and Leeds will come down the league a bit, but both have good players and a decent manager

Villa - Not for me. They have some very good players, just a crap manager

Everton - possibly, but again some good players but a crap manager.  However, if there is a football god, they will make this happen.

West Ham / Palace - nope

Fulham - no way if Mitrovic stays fit for most of the season

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

For those that don’t have a subscription:

Which three clubs now look most in danger of being relegated?
Jack Lang: Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth, Everton

James Horncastle: Bournemouth, Forest, Everton

Sarah Shephard: Bournemouth, Leicester, Wolves

Nick Miller: Bournemouth, Leicester and Fulham.

Oliver Kay: Previously I said Bournemouth, Forest and Southampton. I’ll stick with Bournemouth, I’ll hesitantly stick with Forest and… if Southampton keep playing the way they have, it’s going to be bad news for someone else. Everton? Villa? Leicester? Wolves? So hard to predict.

Carl Anka: I predicted Fulham and Bournemouth to go straight back down and Nottingham Forest to pip Leeds to 17th on the final day.
I’ll tweak this now as Leeds looked good against Everton and should be OK if Patrick Bamford, Tyler Adams and Sinisterra are fit. Fulham will finish 18th, but I’m now asking the waiter if they have humble pie on the menu, as Aleksandar Mitrovic has turned out to be Premier League quality after all.

Nancy Frostick: Bournemouth, Everton, Fulham.

Liam Tharme: Leicester for their (lack of) window activity, Aston Villa tactically and Bournemouth for weirdly sacking Scott Parker (above) so early into the season.

Pol Ballus: Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, Southampton.

Maram AlBaharna: Bournemouth, Southampton, Nottingham Forest.

I say Pol Ballus and Maram AlBaharna can suck my lozenge.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

6 games gone, would say no obvious relegation candidates so far. 

Bournemouth and Forest but agree all teams have something to hope for. Leicester look shite but still got quality players so can easily come good.

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Bournemouth and Forest but agree all teams have something to hope for. Leicester look shite but still got quality players so can easily come good.

I think even Bournemouth and Forest will pick up more points than the usual relegation places so if they do go it will be close to the end. Really hard to tell what impact the 6 week break for the world Cup will have as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, whelk said:

I would wait for Leicester to win a game before saying stuff like "they can easily come good" 😛.

There is something very rotten building at that club. The fact remains as well that they've clearly let down the players they've kept through a lack of signings (so any with ambition will now all want out). This will have also damaged their attractiveness for new players. Reminds me of saints a few years ago. 

They could very easily find themselves going down this season, and regardless, it's going to require a rebuild now to refresh the playing squad. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I would wait for Leicester to win a game before saying stuff like "they can easily come good" 😛.

There is something very rotten building at that club. The fact remains as well that they've clearly let down the players they've kept through a lack of signings (so any with ambition will now all want out). This will have also damaged their attractiveness for new players. Reminds me of saints a few years ago. 

They could very easily find themselves going down this season, and regardless, it's going to require a rebuild now to refresh the playing squad. 

Some of Leicester defending today has been non league standard , can see a manager change soon for them 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Not sure what you are all worried about. Supercomputer says no.

Screenshot_20221019-124335_Facebook.jpg

Supercomputer hasn't seen us play. And probably doesn't look at players ability. Even just looking at data, it seems baffling that we're not there.

Highly likely Bournemouth and Leicester don't go down.

• 3 weeks later...