Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, the colonel said:

I'm sure it has been discussed above somewhere, should it have been a sending off? MotD mentioned it during highlights but ignored in the after chat.

At the game I couldn’t be certain and I was prepared to give the ref the benefit of the doubt but seeing it on MOTD it looks like a definite foul.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the colonel said:

I'm sure it has been discussed above somewhere, should it have been a sending off? MotD mentioned it during highlights but ignored in the after chat.

IMO yes. It was obvious from the replays that Llorente went through Stu and caught his trailing leg before touching the ball. It was definitely a foul, but I think VAR bottled it because it would have meant an automatic red card and that would have been harsh (especially that early in the game) because it was an honest attempt to get the ball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

IMO yes. It was obvious from the replays that Llorente went through Stu and caught his trailing leg before touching the ball. It was definitely a foul, but I think VAR bottled it because it would have meant an automatic red card and that would have been harsh (especially that early in the game) because it was an honest attempt to get the ball.

Do the VAR refs have a clock that they need to abide by before they will consider a sending off?  Doesn't seem right that the rules should apply sometimes.

• Like 1

There were a few incidents at throw ins that concerned me. KWP has a foul throw awards against him by the assistant who indicates that he had stepped over the line yet I had a clear view and the heel of his leading foot was quite clearly still on the white line when he released the ball.

Near the end of the game over near the Itchen/Chapel corner a Leeds player took the throw in from the wrong place and was made to take it again. I thought that this should have been given as a throw in to us.

In injury time a Leeds player down below me near the Northam end takes a throw in and his rear leg is off the ground. Should have been a foul throw.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do the VAR refs have a clock that they need to abide by before they will consider a sending off?  Doesn't seem right that the rules should apply sometimes.

It shouldn't, of course, but I would be surprised if the timing didn't play a part in the decision. It wasn't a cynical foul to prevent a goalscoring opportunity, it was a genuine attempt to get the ball. It would have been harsh on Leeds to have to play 80 minutes with a man down because of it.

I reckon the rules should be changed to remove the automatic red card from that situation. Refs should have the discretion to give either a red or yellow depending on how much attempt (or not) there is to play the ball. If that had been the case yesterday, the ref could gave given Llorente a yellow and we could have rightly got a FK in a dangerous position. As it was, we didn't even get a FK for a clear foul. 

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Not far off a sell-out I’d say. Very few empty seats that I could see, at least not in any notable areas.

There were a few empty seats dotted around but close to full. The Saints website has the attendance as zero but that can’t be right because I was there and so was my grandson.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There were a few empty seats dotted around but close to full. The Saints website has the attendance as zero but that can’t be right because I was there and so was my grandson.

There were a fair few around us in the Family stand. Some regulars either didn't renew, moved seats or were on holiday as well.

Ether that or they're all fed up sitting near us.

• Haha 2

Lots been said already - I thought all the new lads looked good (Bollocks is Lavia 18 - he played beyond his tender years)

Once they were all on the pitch, and the random variable had been relieved of duty in defence, we looked like we had purpose and even some steel. I mentioned in the Adam Armstrong thread that when he came on he had an abundance of options to work with. We might actually be alright lads.

Couple of little things - when JWP had that nicely positioned free kick in the latter stages Meslier looked decidedly uncomfortable behind the wall he was bobbing about hoping he might have a change to get whatever suddenly zipped over the wall.

A very sweet moment in the Chapel, a Dad and his little lad looking very smart in his new 3rd shirt, very likely at his first game. He was taking it all in no need for a bribing iPad. At half time they came back to their seats with a tray of Nachos, As extra time was being played out the Dad made a move to leave no doubt to beat the rush at full time with the little man, as Dad set off he stopped, normally a cause for grumbling at blocking the view (Dad was very apologetic)  but his little lad had turned round and picked up the half eaten tray of Nachos left as rubbish under their seat to put in the bin - everyone around us noted this and commented to the Dad what a great lad he had. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Didn't notice any Leeds in the home ends, did anyone else?

Some in Kingsland North, one chucked out for celebration, his mate stayed behind and got a drink poured over his head from what I could see. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

Any idea of the attendance>

Not shown on Saints website or Sunday Times

Will probably get added to Saints website tomorrow once they've finished adding them all up.

My guess would be 31,100 , plenty of corporate empty and Itchen north not allowed to be full 

20 hours ago, Adman said:

No. Merely the change in formation suited us better and that change still counts as his tactics

Many would disagree. If it was his own decision then why wait so long ?

More likely it was forced on him by his assistant coaches. Ralph isn't known for making timely decisions. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Seeing the Aribo goal in slow mo makes you appreciate just how good the control is to slip it under the keepers leg and then finish. He needs to start every game.

I'm not convinced he was trying to do it, but it's certainly nice to have someone with a bit of composure. Agree he needs to start every week, certainly atm.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Seeing the Aribo goal in slow mo makes you appreciate just how good the control is to slip it under the keepers leg and then finish. He needs to start every game.

If he meant that then it was absolutely brilliant. Thought he got lucky there personally but he’s clearly very decent!

17 hours ago, SaintTex said:

funny.. i rate Perraud quite a bit. Well, in the sense, I think he is the best we could hope for at LB if we are limited to spending 12m for any one player.

he was in quite a bit of good form in the middle of last season when the team itself was also doing quite well.

He's OK. He works hard, is busy and combative, which are all very important facets, but he lacks genuine pace and a top level touch and great dribbling skills required of the modern fullback.  Perhaps KWP just makes him look limited because he is on the next level. 

You are right about him and the side doing well and despite my misgivings about him, I certainly didn't want to see him dropped as we had found a winning formula. I think he was left out after the United game. I don't recall if he had a bad game. Overall the side were very good that night.

I'd of liked us to sign another left back, perhaps with ore pace and skills to provide contrast and competition. Maybe Djenepo can do a job while we wait for Livramento to return to fitness, which then allows KWP to give that cover - which he can't do if he's the only right back. 

35 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

If he meant that then it was absolutely brilliant. Thought he got lucky there personally but he’s clearly very decent!

bit of both, the certainly tried the skill, but got a little lucky with the outcome. On another day we'll moan about him not shooting first time, but today we can just enjoy his composure.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's OK. He works hard, is busy and combative, which are all very important facets, but he lacks genuine pace and a top level touch and great dribbling skills required of the modern fullback.  Perhaps KWP just makes him look limited because he is on the next level. 

You are right about him and the side doing well and despite my misgivings about him, I certainly didn't want to see him dropped as we had found a winning formula. I think he was left out after the United game. I don't recall if he had a bad game. Overall the side were very good that night.

I'd of liked us to sign another left back, perhaps with ore pace and skills to provide contrast and competition. Maybe Djenepo can do a job while we wait for Livramento to return to fitness, which then allows KWP to give that cover - which he can't do if he's the only right back. 

Perraud is a decent enough full back and we generally look better when he plays. He also has a shot like a sledgehammer so hopefully we'll see more attempts from him this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Take a look at the slow motion video saints have uploaded on Facebook, you can see him watching the keeper until the last second when he deliberately tucks it under the keepers leg. 

• Like 2

A great comeback from us. Ralph made the correct changes when needed. Both goals were very good from both Aribo and KWP. Lovely assists from Arma and Mara (his one was ridiculous) Lavia was immense and to think he's only 18. Bazunu made some really good stops too. Bella-Kotchap is a big unit and played really well. Big credit to Moussa too who I thought was great, he never stopped working for the team and put in some very good crosses from the left and his bit of skill in the first half was magical along with Prowsey's :) Hoping we can build on this point going into the next game :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

A great comeback from us. Ralph made the correct changes when needed. Both goals were very good from both Aribo and KWP. Lovely assists from Arma and Mara (his one was ridiculous) Lavia was immense and to think he's only 18. Bazunu made some really good stops too. Bella-Kotchap is a big unit and played really well. Big credit to Moussa too who I thought was great, he never stopped working for the team and put in some very good crosses from the left and his bit of skill in the first half was magical along with Prowsey's :) Hoping we can build on this point going into the next game :)

i can't decide what i liked more... the actual the pass, or his maneuver with the ball at his feet to escape Adams to give him space to make that pass to KWP.

someone else said it, but 9 out of 10 times, that pass gets made wide (maybe due to ease or coaching instruction). Good to see a player forward thinking.