Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

53 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Clearly super happy to get a point - Leeds were by far the better team for 60 minutes - high energy, dynamic, all over us...then a great - and let's admit it - unexpected turnaround.

Yes with 4 at the back of course but what a difference a goal and a bit of confidence brings.

Credit to A Armstrong for a strong run and decent delivery for Aribo who was very composed to finish.

Commentators went from writing us off for the season to praising our determination and pitching us as most likely to win at the end.

New players look good investments. Still need to fix basic defensive issues - like defending from corners and closing wide men down to stop crosses coming in. Still feel we need an out and out striker...perhaps Mara is the man?

Hopefully that will give us some confidence to play with a bit more attacking flair and confidence away at Leicester next week.

I wouldn't say Leeds were the better team at all. I thought the first half was very even

• Like 4

As has been said in other posts we were very second best for three quarters of the game.
The subs made the difference and perhaps Leeds became a little bit tired after being at full tilt up until then.
My observations:

BAZANU.....................did enough to confirm he is our No 1
KWP.......... ................class player who stuck his goal away immaculately.
BELLA_KOTCHAP....did OK and think he will grow into the team.
SALISU.......'''''''''''''''''''an OK performance. Problem he has is that his footwork is limited and whenever he receives the ball at the back his passing ability is often                                           limited to   long balls forward.
BEDNERAK................ From what I saw he did OK.
DJENEPO...................he tries hard and has to put up with playing in an unfamiliar role. However we desperately need a proper left footed left back. Hurry back
                                   Peraud, or similar.
JWP.......................... He is not a left sided advanced midfielder. Off the pace a bit in comparison to his normal top rate performance but still a good
                                   performance. Fitted in better later on when moved to his right midfield position.
LAVIA........................ A bit hit and mis but for a 19 year old making only his second Prem appearance, there is much to look forward to with this lad.
S. ARMSTONG..........Looked a little lost in his allocate position. To my mind his best position is wide right midfield.
ADAMS..................... Gave his all but produced very little.
ELYOUNOOUSSI...... A couple of decent involvements. Otherwise bang on average.
SUBS
ARIBO...................... Made an impact from the moment he was introduced. Thought he had missed the opportunity to score but his perseverance saved the day.
A. ARMSTRONG......Looked lively when he came on. To my mind he can only function playing off a target man.
MARA.......................Two bits of class. The wonderful through ball to KWP and a snap shot, well saved, soon after. It will take some time for him to bed in but he
                                  may have something special.
STEPHENS............... Too late to make an impression.

THE MANAGER........Saved by his substitutions. Up until then his job was really under pressure. I really hope he can turn this awful run of results round but I'm
                                    not so sure.

• Like 3

<sarcasm>Great inspirational change of personnel and formation by RH once we were 0-2 down. Such a pity the PL never passed that 5 subs rule that would have allowed him to confidently make those changes at the first drinks break when it was already apparent they were needed. </sarcasm>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

As has been said in other posts we were very second best for three quarters of the game.
The subs made the difference and perhaps Leeds became a little bit tired after being at full tilt up until then.
My observations:

No ... Just no.. never ... in a million years....

He was awful.

Reminded me of vintage Championship Manager when you used to instantly score when you took off a player playing several stats below the rest.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

My observations:

BAZANU.....................did enough to confirm he is our No 1
KWP.......... ................class player who stuck his goal away immaculately.
BELLA_KOTCHAP....did OK and think he will grow into the team.
SALISU.......'''''''''''''''''''an OK performance. Problem he has is that his footwork is limited and whenever he receives the ball at the back his passing ability is often                                           limited to   long balls forward.
DJENEPO...................he tries hard and has to put up with playing in an unfamiliar role. However we desperately need a proper left footed left back. Hurry back
                                   Peraud, or similar.
JWP.......................... He is not a left sided advanced midfielder. Off the pace a bit in comparison to his normal top rate performance but still a good
                                   performance. Fitted in better later on when moved to his right midfield position.
LAVIA........................ A bit hit and mis but for a 19 year old making only his second Prem appearance, there is much to look forward to with this lad.
S. ARMSTONG..........Looked a little lost in his allocate position. To my mind his best position is wide right midfield.
ADAMS..................... Gave his all but produced very little.
ELYOUNOOUSSI...... A couple of decent involvements. Otherwise bang on average.
SUBS
ARIBO...................... Made an impact from the moment he was introduced. Thought he had missed the opportunity to score but his perseverance saved the day.
A. ARMSTRONG......Looked lively when he came on. To my mind he can only function playing off a target man.
MARA.......................Two bits of class. The wonderful through ball to KWP and a snap shot, well saved, soon after. It will take some time for him to bed in but he
                                  may have something special.
STEPHENS............... Too late to make an impression.

THE MANAGER........Saved by his substitutions. Up until then his job was really under pressure. I really hope he can turn this awful run of results round but I'm
                                    not so sure.

Didn't see that at all to be honest. Was a even game from 1st minute 

Have defended Ralph until now but seeing us first hand it's really clear it's the management that's lacking. We were dire for 60 minutes today and most PL teams won't let us back into games like Leeds did. At the end of the day he's got one style of play, which has been worked out by opponents, hence the scrambling for a new system. But if we're aren't going to play Ralphball we'd be better off with a coach who has more other systems in their locker. 

The squad isn't great still (obvious gaps) but the Summer recruitment looks the best we've done in ages. The spine of Bazanu, Bella-Kotchap and Lavia could be great, and Aribo and Mara look v promising. There's no reason this squad should struggle if coached properly. 

Edited by Rich102
  • Like 3

Just now, Rich102 said:

Have defended Ralph until now but seeing us first hand it's really it's the management that's lacking. We were dire for 60 minutes today and most PL teams won't let us back into games like Leeds did. At the end of the day he's got one style of play, which has been worked out by opponents, hence the scrambling for a new system. But if we're aren't going to play Ralphball we'd be better off with a coach who has more other systems in their locker. 

His 4222 system and high press is what got us the point. I think we'd have won if we played it from the start of the game.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, tunit said:

wouldn't say Leeds were the better team at all. I thought the first half was very even

Main issue was Bazunu was tested in the first half. Their keeper wasn't. Stats say we had more shots but none of them anywhere near the goal.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

His 4222 system and high press is what got us the point. I think we'd have won if we played it from the start of the game.

Yes but that's the point, the reason we had to move away from Plan A was because teams had worked it out, hence the horror runs and hovering around 17th. Maybe that's our level (I appreciate the PL is more competitive than ever) but if Ralph isn't even going to do that we'd be better of with someone who knew how to coach a Plan B. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The system most of can see favours our players better than the 3 CBs. Hopefully Ralph can also now see it and play it. 3 CBs may not be a bad idea against the likes of Liverpool or City away but against the likes of Leeds at home it should have been a no-brainer. 

Problem is if Perraud is not ready we only have one fit (good) full back, so perhaps we will have to keep playing wing backs to fit Djenepo in. And thus the 3 CBs will remain. 

Big transfer week ahead of us I think.

• Like 2

Never saw that comeback coming at 0-2. The atmosphere was absolutely toxic in the stands, blokes falling out with eachother and people being thrown out. Not missed the atmosphere at SMS over the summer, the bedwetting is on another level. Today I got to enjoy a drunken matey that couldn't stand up (and came back after half time covered in ketchup??) And the pair behind me who insisted on screaming their opinion that every Saints player is a "donkey" all fucking match. Oh and they left before we scored the first goal. Sweet relief. 

Anyway. Afternoon was saved by that final 20 minutes. Hopefully Ralph has learnt a thing or two. 

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

The system most of can see favours our players better than the 3 CBs. Hopefully Ralph can also now see it and play it. 3 CBs may not be a bad idea against the likes of Liverpool or City away but against the likes of Leeds at home it should have been a no-brainer. 

Problem is if Perraud is not ready we only have one fit (good) full back, so perhaps we will have to keep playing wing backs to fit Djenepo in. And thus the 3 CBs will remain. 

Big transfer week ahead of us I think.

If he's concerned about Djenepo's defending at LB Ralph has played Stephens at LB in the past and we won that game. Stephens played left back today again when Djenepo ran out of steam.

Can't help but feel that Ralph got lucky with those substitutions and the change of formation. The pundits who were commentating on the game noticed how uncomfortable our players were playing with a back 3. They often talked about the players clearly not being happy with it and the amount of space it leaves. 

Lavia impressed me again. We should just play a back 4 with him sat in front of it. Works hard. Gets stuck in. Covers a lot of ground. Breaks up play really well. 

Bottle O'Ketchup had a decent game. I think he'll prove to be a decent signing. I just hope he doesn't do a Salisu. He looks to have lost a bit of confidence. Still prone to a still mistake and will definitely see a red card or two before the season is over.

Bednarek worries me. Piss poor attitude. Throwing his cup on the floor when substituted and sitting with his head in his hands. I actually thing he may be a bit of a disruptive influence in the dressing room. 

KWP - Class act. Don't think he'll be here next month, sadly. 

Djenepo is not a defender. Got some decent balls in but not the answer. Need Perraud or KWP in that role. 

Aribo changed the game when he came on. Why oh why he didn't start is a complete mystery. As baffling as Valery starting at CB last week. 

Mo Ely... Why? 

Che worked hard but no end product. Nothing new there. 

Adam Armstrong did ok. Still think he can do a job for us if playing off a target man. 

Mara's ball for KWP was class. Unlucky not to get a goal from his snapshot. Like the look of him, just hope he can do that week in, week out. 

For me, this team is starting to pick itself. However, I'm not sure Ralph sees that. To be honest, I'm not sure what he sees. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Never saw that comeback coming at 0-2. The atmosphere was absolutely toxic in the stands, blokes falling out with eachother and people being thrown out. Not missed the atmosphere at SMS over the summer, the bedwetting is on another level. Today I got to enjoy a drunken matey that couldn't stand up (and came back after half time covered in ketchup??) And the pair behind me who insisted on screaming their opinion that every Saints player is a "donkey" all fucking match. Oh and they left before we scored the first goal. Sweet relief. 

Anyway. Afternoon was saved by that final 20 minutes. Hopefully Ralph has learnt a thing or two. 

You think? If there’s one thing we have learned it is that Ralph never learns

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If the 4222 has been 'worked out', why didn't Leeds cope very well vs it today?

Because Leeds are not very good, and we got lucky today.

Like I said the problem is that playing the system across the season allows teams to prepare for it - our records are getting worse year to year with 4222, but we're even worse when Ralph tries anything else. 

Just now, Baird of the land said:

If he's concerned about Djenepo's defending at LB Ralph has played Stephens at LB in the past and we won that game. Stephens played left back today again when Djenepo ran out of steam.

We've played Salisu there before too so that's also an option but either way means having 3 CBs on the pitch anyway so we may as well keep playing the 3 CB formation (for our sins). Hopefully Perraud isn't far away from full fitness or we bring in another RB meaning KWP can play the other side.

Ralph has also played 4-1-4-1 before and with Lavia settling in so well then that would be a good formation for us IMO, Lavia in front of the two CBs, JWP and Romeu pushing up a bit and two wider attacking players supporting a lone striker. 

Anyway I will be watching MOTD tonight. 👍

• Like 1

I hope Ralph learned something from today but doubt it as he's clearly very stubborn. Any manager who can lose a game 9-0 and then do it again the following season can't have much about them when it comes to learning from mistakes. 

His persistence with a back 3 also shows how stubborn he is. Didn't work in Pre-season. Only game won was when we played 4-2-2-2. Didn't work last week or today, but when the formation changed we got back into the game. 

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Ralph has also played 4-1-4-1 before and with Lavia settling in so well then that would be a good formation for us IMO, Lavia in front of the two CBs, JWP and Romeu pushing up a bit and two wider attacking players supporting a lone striker. 

I’d say we are much better equipped this season to play variations of that than we have been before. Take Liverpool away last season;  Ralph wanted to play a solid 4-5-1 but Diallo got injured in the build up, due to lack of other personnel we ended up with some sort of 3-4-3 system and got utterly humped. With the option to play Lavia, Romeu and JWP in the same side with a 4 at the back, it allows us a bit more solidity than we’ve had before without persisting with the awful 3 centre back arrangement.

1 hour ago, Reggie Rodway said:

Thoughts on “Sacked in the morning” being bellowed out by saints fans after Leeds scored the 2nd?

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on regarding Ralph, I think it's understandable

These are fans spending a lot of money and not getting much back.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Can't help but feel that Ralph got lucky with those substitutions and the change of formation. The pundits who were commentating on the game noticed how uncomfortable our players were playing with a back 3. They often talked about the players clearly not being happy with it and the amount of space it leaves. 

Lavia impressed me again. We should just play a back 4 with him sat in front of it. Works hard. Gets stuck in. Covers a lot of ground. Breaks up play really well. 

Bottle O'Ketchup had a decent game. I think he'll prove to be a decent signing. I just hope he doesn't do a Salisu. He looks to have lost a bit of confidence. Still prone to a still mistake and will definitely see a red card or two before the season is over.

Bednarek worries me. Piss poor attitude. Throwing his cup on the floor when substituted and sitting with his head in his hands. I actually thing he may be a bit of a disruptive influence in the dressing room. 

KWP - Class act. Don't think he'll be here next month, sadly. 

Djenepo is not a defender. Got some decent balls in but not the answer. Need Perraud or KWP in that role. 

Aribo changed the game when he came on. Why oh why he didn't start is a complete mystery. As baffling as Valery starting at CB last week. 

Mo Ely... Why? 

Che worked hard but no end product. Nothing new there. 

Adam Armstrong did ok. Still think he can do a job for us if playing off a target man. 

Mara's ball for KWP was class. Unlucky not to get a goal from his snapshot. Like the look of him, just hope he can do that week in, week out. 

For me, this team is starting to pick itself. However, I'm not sure Ralph sees that. To be honest, I'm not sure what he sees. 

Exactly why do we persist with him eh?

2 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Unfortunately many of us can. 2005, Saints went in 3-0 up at half-time, only to lose 3-4. 

That's the one I was getting at. Not just half time. About 75 minutes wasn't it?

To this day I can't relax at 3-0

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

Ralph changing that god damn awful formation obviously had a massive impact on the game, but it is worth bearing in mind that Leeds ran out of steam after going at it hard in the first 60 minutes or so, especially in that heat. 

Yeah, they looked knackered which surprised me because Marsch was going on about his experience of managing teams in hot conditions from his time in the States. The forced substitution due to Bamford's injury aside, he only made substitutions in the last 10 minutes after his side had already thrown their lead.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on regarding Ralph, I think it's understandable

Are we using 15 games cos the stats are the worst, what about the other games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Comical play list at h/t

James - Oh sit down 

Elton - I’m still standing

Elvis Costello - I can’t stand up for falling down

But playing American idiot was just disrespectful to a manager who has done nothing to us and just made us look small minded

It never ceases to amaze how many of our so called 'fans' want us to lose, if it gives them ability to criticise Ralph.

It clearly irritated some of the posters that we came back from a 2 goal deficit, you can almost hear them groaning as our goals went it.

Reading some of the comments here, you have ask if either these so called fans didn't go to the game, are so myopic they can't see some positive signs or they are so embittered with Ralph anything he does will never be good enough.

We should (steel helmet at the ready for incoming) accept that he has new players, they need bedding in and that started in earnest today. It will take time before we and Ralph see the first 11, but today was a step in the right direction.

If nothing else ask your self how often we come back from 2 behind? Enough said.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, they looked knackered which surprised me because Marsch was going on about his experience of managing teams in hot conditions from his time in the States. The forced substitution due to Bamford's injury aside, he only made substitutions in the last 10 minutes after his side had already thrown their lead.

Another words Saints didn't deserve anything from the game and the draw was all down 1. The weather 2. Bamford being subbed.

Jeez, accept we had a reasonable and certainly as good a first half as Leeds, then came back strongly and deserved the result.

I wonder why so many of you bother following us, as you don't seem to want to offer praise when it is deserved.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Are we using 15 games cos the stats are the worst, what about the other games

That's not far off half a season of games with one win and hardly any draws. If that form happened over one season we'd be looking at Derby County levels of points. I hope for Ralph's sake he can turn it around and hopefully with the new boys seemingly settling in well it's not impossible but Ralph has to stop being stubborn and select his best side from the start, even if it means changing his formation.

2 hours ago, Reggie Rodway said:

Thoughts on “Sacked in the morning” being bellowed out by saints fans after Leeds scored the 2nd?

My main thought is it’s rubbish we’ve been put in the position of having to potentially agitate to get rid of him.

what I mean by this is that he did do a decent job and was well thought of for some time. Since then however it’s all gone wrong and shows no signs of being reversed. 

the board should see this and should have replaced him at the end of last season, which would mean there was no need for the fans to protest. 

I don’t like us singing to our own manager about getting sacked, but it’s the best way of showing the board we disagree with their bad decision. If they had have just done the obvious thing then the unedifying situation would not have happened. 

In a way, a draw is a bit of a worst case result. It’s not the three points we wanted and probably doesn’t add to the chances of Ralph being replaced 

• Like 1

There was a little bit of unrest at HT and I wasn't sure why, I didn't think it was as bad as people were suggesting. It was fairly even, with maybe Leeds shading it a touch. We did lack attacking threat for sure, but generally in the first half it wasn't as bad as some were keen to make out.

The start of the second half was a different can of worms though. The first goal we conceded summed Southampton up from the last 5 years. Panicked clearances, no composure and defenders switching off and losing their player. The panic that comes over some players when there is a tiny bit of pressure is quite frightening.

The second goal was crap and it was a situation we'd been struggling with for most of the game, and equally at Spurs. Crosses into the box, and in the case of this - a corner. Adams missed his header, it found it's way to Rodrigo and that was that. I can't remember a more toxic atmosphere at that point, not for a long long time. It wasn't looking good and given previous experiences, I expected us to wilt further.

But we didn't. We rallied. The subs we made after that goal (which we wanted to make before that) added some extra attacking impetuous. Aribo almost immediately showing his quality. The biggest change was when Mara came on though, not just through his input but what it did to the team shape.

Automatically we looked more comfortable, ABK in particular looked a little more at ease. Those big gaps through the centre were no more, and it enabled us to get ourselves on the front foot and be much more active in our press in the attacking third. There was also an element of Leeds tiring, but we made the most of this and attacked them and made them panic. It was great to see for a change.

The best players on the pitch for me were all the new lads. Aribo, Mara when they came on were excellent. Aribo's touch is on a different planet. ABK and Bazunu very accomplished for young players. But a special mention to who I think is going to be a very special player – Lavia. He shows so much composure in the middle, his timing in the tackle is outstanding and his use of the ball (forward) is very impressive. He’s 18, it’s insane. This guy is going to be a superstar.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The fact that we can't shift half of last season's first team squad suggests they should tailor their expectations somewhat 🙄. That and it is widely accepted that last season's squad quality was relegation scrap standard. Don't have much time for people creating a toxic atmosphere for a young team that is clearly still putting the effort it. 

Edited by Saint86

Just now, Saint86 said:

The fact that we can't shift half of last season's first team squad suggests they should tailor their expectations 🙄 that and it is widely accepted that last seasons squad quality was relegation standard. 

bollox.  Our squad is better than that.

Think its becoming apparent from these first two games what our current best line up and formation is. Hopefully Ralph is starting to wise up to it as well. It definitely doesnt involve a five at the back.

Great credit to the team. Could have packed it in after going 2-0 down, but they showed great resilience, coupled with the correct change in formation and substitutions. Aribo, Mara and AA all had great impact. Lavia looked very good again, KWP is looking like our best player. ABK is still very raw but has many great attributes. Plenty of endeavour from Che, never stopped competing for balls and creating space for others. Not bad for a player who is on the move and not interested 🤔

Big few weeks in the window however. We desperately need more if we dont want to be in a relegation fight all season. Ideally two strikers (Delap and Kaladjzic would be my preference), no.10 and another CB (although this is dependent on Bednarek and Stephens moving on which I dont think is likely).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There was a little bit of unrest at HT and I wasn't sure why, I didn't think it was as bad as people were suggesting. It was fairly even, with maybe Leeds shading it a touch. We did lack attacking threat for sure, but generally in the first half it wasn't as bad as some were keen to make out.

The start of the second half was a different can of worms though. The first goal we conceded summed Southampton up from the last 5 years. Panicked clearances, no composure and defenders switching off and losing their player. The panic that comes over some players when there is a tiny bit of pressure is quite frightening.

The second goal was crap and it was a situation we'd been struggling with for most of the game, and equally at Spurs. Crosses into the box, and in the case of this - a corner. Adams missed his header, it found it's way to Rodrigo and that was that. I can't remember a more toxic atmosphere at that point, not for a long long time. It wasn't looking good and given previous experiences, I expected us to wilt further.

Don’t see why you’d surprised at there being unrest. Playing one of the weaker teams in the league at home and lacking attacking threat. Being an excellent bazanu save from going in behind. 

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

it was awful at HT as nearly everyone could see we were just so passive and offered almost nothing going forward - at home, against the team that stayed up on near on the very last kick of the season.

What made it worse is that nearly all can see the formation that the manager is seemingly hell bent on using just does not work (and not really worked in his 3+ years at the club).  Within a few mins of going back to what we know best, we were back in the game and totally dominated them.  I know energy may have come into it, but the change was instant.

It was 2 points dropped and all of Ralph's fighting talk means little if we go into the next group of games horrifically with the set up that started all preseason, Spurs and today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Don’t see why you’d surprised at there being unrest. Playing one of the weaker teams in the league at home and lacking attacking threat. Being an excellent bazanu save from going in behind. 

Because it was 0-0 and no damage had been done. It was fairly even. 

I felt we'd see Aribo in the second half and that injection could help us as they tired, and it did - but we gave up two goals before that annoyingly.

I think it's fairly clear the starting formation doesn't sit well with the players we have, not just CB's but the attacking options as well. What I found frustrating in the first half was the lack of width provided by Elyounoussi or Armstrong, it was all very central and we were soly relying on KWP and Moussa to provide that width, thus leaving us exposed down the flanks. If we had better attackers (and a better left back) it could potentially work, but I don't think we have the players to play this way at the mo.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The 4222 seems to work best but we still have to play at such high intensity to make it work. 

That’s why we always start so well and then drop so many points because we never seem to be able to key it up for the full 90. 

Today was the inverse of our usual trend. Started with a more defensive formation playing less energy before rescuing a point with a high intensity period at the end. 

Question is whether or not this season we’ll be able to do a whole match with the energy level required for 4222 and hold onto the points by the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nemi said:

The 4222 seems to work best but we still have to play at such high intensity to make it work. 

That’s why we always start so well and then drop so many points because we never seem to be able to key it up for the full 90. 

Today was the inverse of our usual trend. Started with a more defensive formation playing less energy before rescuing a point with a high intensity period at the end. 

Question is whether or not this season we’ll be able to do a whole match with the energy level required for 4222 and hold onto the points by the end.

Isn't this why Ralph favoured (and has available) 5 subs?

• Like 2