January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, derry said:

He needs a reality check. Non scoring players aren't strikers they only use up the chances real strikers would probably convert. It's all very well supporting his staff but that's not going to solve the problem. Maybe sticking Lyanco up front as he'd probably rattle a few defenders before he got sent off would be more practical. Or try Alcaraz with Mara as a two.

To be honest I'm not sure what he can say, he's not going to throw our only strikers under the bus. He's going to show them support, it's the normal thing to do.

The way this is managed by the club/manager is to replace those with better players and demote them to the bench, not throwing them under the bus before we have 'replacements'.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest I'm not sure what he can say, he's not going to throw our only strikers under the bus. He's going to show them support, it's the normal thing to do.

The way this is managed by the club/manager is to replace those with better players and demote them to the bench, not throwing them under the bus before we have 'replacements'.

He'd be better not trying to defend the indefensible. If they are strikers that can't score leave them out. It doesn't need meaningless platitudes that the supporters see through as bullshit. Better to say nothing than bullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killers Knee said:

Gimme strength, we've gone from Cody Gakpo to this?

Has Gakpo, in a superb Liverpool side (compared to our squad)pulled up trees? He may do but this player must have something as 3 or 4 clubs are after him......thats why we wont get him of course

Edited by OldNick
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, derry said:

He needs a reality check. Non scoring players aren't strikers they only use up the chances real strikers would probably convert. It's all very well supporting his staff but that's not going to solve the problem. Maybe sticking Lyanco up front as he'd probably rattle a few defenders before he got sent off would be more practical. Or try Alcaraz with Mara as a two.

Lyanco up front for the replay would be a great watch.

18 hours ago, manji said:

Yes it was . We’d have had Gapko otherwise.

I thought the fee was all agreed, as were personnel terms? The player just decided not to come because he had expected Man United to come in for him as they were linked all summer. Is that not accurate?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, derry said:

He'd be better not trying to defend the indefensible. If they are strikers that can't score leave them out. It doesn't need meaningless platitudes that the supporters see through as bullshit. Better to say nothing than bullshit.

He is replying to a question I suspect

1 minute ago, derry said:

Who plays though? CB's up front? Right backs up front?

Adams, Armstrong and Mara is all we have, and Armstrong isn't really seen as a number 9. Until we have replacements in those areas then there is not a lot we can do, really bad situation the club left us in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, derry said:

So when asked the question he just blanks it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Anyone else waking up screaming at visions of Che Adams through on goal or missing that one against Wolves? Just me then

can't get it out of my head. Show him far and then smash it near in that huge `McArthy-like' 😉 gap. Also, I was disappointed that Mara was taken off and can't help wonder if he would have tucked it away. I guess Mara might not have been in the same unmarked position, but he looks a fair bit quicker, so would have had more time to get his head up (if that was needed), set his feet and bury it. We will never know. Would have been a different game and tie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

can't get it out of my head. Show him far and then smash it near in that huge `McArthy-like' 😉 gap. Also, I was disappointed that Mara was taken off and can't help wonder if he would have tucked it away. I guess Mara might not have been in the same unmarked position, but he looks a fair bit quicker, so would have had more time to get his head up (if that was needed), set his feet and bury it. We will never know. Would have been a different game and tie.

Prefer Mara by miles. Hope he gets a go. Jones seems weirdly reticent about using him. And Lavia. ho hum

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Prefer Mara by miles. Hope he gets a go. Jones seems weirdly reticent about using him. And Lavia. ho hum

Pretty obvious Lavia is having his game time managed, to stop a recurrence of injuries. Well, unless you have Anti-Jones tinted glasses of course.

• Like 11

Anyone who thinks Jones is genuinely happy with his forward options needs to give their head a wobble.

He’s hardly going to throw the existing bunch under the bus, especially if the board fail yet again to improve in that area.

Say what you like about Jones (and Ralph), but SR have badly let each of them down with their failure to bring in a forward. We’re not a good team, but a half decent forward in at the start of the season and we certainly wouldn’t be in the relegation zone.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd have no faith in Mara getting in that position or  for the chance from the corner that Pope saved well from Che. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Same block on bringing Tella back. He would give us something we haven't got because his finishing is now very good. Maybe we should send Adams and Armstrong to be coached by Kompany. Only joking.

Is there something I've missed on Bree? Apart from a little article a few weeks ago, I've never seen anything concrete - unless something has been leaked today?

I'd say signing Bree is planning for the longer term, with the safe assumption that KWP is gone if we stay up or go down, AMN will go back from his loan and Lynco will probably head off to Brazil. And Tino is likely out for the rest of the season, and who knows what state he comes back in - so we do need someone in there with next season in mind.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Prefer Mara by miles. Hope he gets a go. Jones seems weirdly reticent about using him. 

Ralph did too.

Perhaps he has been turd in training and taken a while to settle.

What I saw last night is exactly the player we need. He held it up well, showed decent strength and a great first touch under pressure, he won a fair few headers (more than Che does) but then showed some genuine skill on the ball to get out of tight space and even beating players and looking a real threat. I saw some pace too and he didn't just run with the ball, he did it off the ball. I also thought his work rate was decent and when he pressed, he sprinted to actually generate some pressure. Che also presses (he ran pretty hard between three defender at one point last night), but in general its at a plodding pace that has no impact on the ball handler.

The overhead kick was audacious, but shows he is confident. We need to embrace that. I'd start him right now. I've still got that finish against City in my mind. Is that the norm or the exception? If he finishes like that, then I really don't know why he hasn't replaced Che sooner. That said, we haven't see a lot of him, so don't really know what he can/can't do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Ralph did too.

What I saw last night is exactly the player we need. He held it up well, showed decent strength and a great first touch under pressure, he won a fair few headers (more than Che does) but then showed some genuine skill on the ball to get out of tight space and even beating players and looking a real threat. I saw some pace too and he didn't just run with the ball, he did it off the ball. I also thought his work rate was decent and when he pressed, he sprinted to actually generate some pressure. Che also presses (he ran pretty hard between three defender at one point last night), but in general its at a plodding pace that has no impact on the ball handler.

The overhead kick was audacious, but shows he is confident. We need to embrace that. I'd start him right now. I've still got that finish against City in my mind. Is that the norm or the exception? If he finishes like that, then I really don't know why he hasn't replaced Che sooner. That said, we haven't see a lot of him, so don't really know what he can/can't do.

He starts vs Blackpool for me - then go from there. I liked what he did last night in the main.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'd have no faith in Mara getting in that position or  for the chance from the corner that Pope saved well from Che. 

Fair enough. The first chance was simply a massive fuck up by Newcastle. Che didn't actually do much other than stay onside. The one from the corner, yeah, I think you have a point there. Strikers have to get in those positions that matter. We don't create many chances, so for me a guy like Mara, that possibly can get us up the pitch with a turn and dribble might benefit the side as a whole. We've been looking for someone like that to bring in. Maybe he can do it. If we dont bring in a striker, which looks unlikely, I'd give him three or four starts.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ralph did too.

He is young but showed some real talent yesterday, particularly his pace and turning with the ball. I was disappointed when he was substituted as he was playing well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ralph did too.

Agreed, He also had a goal disallowed which he finished clinically one on one with the keeper on I think his first appearance.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone think Perraud’s career is over given Jones has a thing about playing KWP and Salisu at LB ahead of him?

And supposed links to James Bree - another full back. Surely anyone joining is not coming here to be back up?

Don't think Ralph was particularly bowled over by Perraud either. I personally think he's below the standard required. Definitely can't play wing back role as he can't get up and down quick enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Don't think Ralph was particularly bowled over by Perraud either. I personally think he's below the standard required. Definitely can't play wing back role as he can't get up and down quick enough.

I’m in agreement. He’s had bursts of good games but he’s never been a consistent performer and doesn’t have the pace for the league. I’m sure he’ll end back at somewhere like a top half French team in the next year.