January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

Am I the only who absolutely hates the transfer window? For some clubs quite exciting but for Saints fans ultimately always a source of extreme frustration. When was the last window when we all said "That's been a good window.....we got it about right?" The last window started off well until we ended up not getting the striker that we were crying out for and were expecting. Seeing our supposed targets  going elsewhere is soul destroying.

Username to post content checks out

• Haha 2

Jones: Southampton don't need passengers

Southampton manager Nathan Jones says he ideally wants a "small, tight squad" and does not want to have any "passengers" in his team.

The Saints have just one week remaining in the transfer window to do business after completing deals for Carlos Alcaraz and Mislav Orsic, whilst also bringing Jan Bednarek back from his loan at Aston Villa.

"Look, what we have to do is keep moving everyone forward. What we can’t do is literally just hold a load of players and keep them," Jones said. "Because then you have passengers and passengers become problematic in the end. So you can’t do that.

"We want a small tight squad but we need certain things in the squad. We need certain things improved in the squad in terms of maybe a little bit of size, maybe a little bit more aggression, maybe a tiny bit more quality to add a bit of potency.

"And once we’ve got that then yeah, we can make decision on if we need to move people out - if that’s in the best interest of them and the club. That’s an ongoing decision but what we really have to concentrate on now is improving the squad so that first of February, we’re in a better place."

:yawn:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdmickey3 said:

Southampton manager Nathan Jones says he ideally wants a "small, tight squad" and does not want to have any "passengers" in his team.

The Saints have just one week remaining in the transfer window to do business after completing deals for Carlos Alcaraz and Mislav Orsic, whilst also bringing Jan Bednarek back from his loan at Aston Villa.

"Look, what we have to do is keep moving everyone forward. What we can’t do is literally just hold a load of players and keep them," Jones said. "Because then you have passengers and passengers become problematic in the end. So you can’t do that.

"We want a small tight squad but we need certain things in the squad. We need certain things improved in the squad in terms of maybe a little bit of size, maybe a little bit more aggression, maybe a tiny bit more quality to add a bit of potency.

"And once we’ve got that then yeah, we can make decision on if we need to move people out - if that’s in the best interest of them and the club. That’s an ongoing decision but what we really have to concentrate on now is improving the squad so that first of February, we’re in a better place."

Small tight squad, but 5 international centre backs...bonkers.

• Like 1

The level of hysteria on here is insane..  First people slag off a player as not good enough, then up in arms when it looks like Bournemouth may get him.  Which one is it?

There could be many reasons he is going there, if he is.  Firstly they aren’t rock bottom of the table!  But it may be they are gambling and not inserting relegation clause in contract.  Have a look at clubs that have done that in the past, Pompey, Leeds (fifteen years out of Premier League) etc etc.

The reality is that we needed to sign at least one more striker in the summer and didn’t,  and it will be massively difficult to do so now unless we are prepared to pay ludicrous money.  Why would a top striker (as opposed to promising one but unproven) join the club bottom of the Premier League?  We need to have a bit of self awareness.  This is why I say that is we go down the Board and Ralph are accountable not Jones who arrived with us in bottom three.

If he keeps us up he is a hero

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

You heard of injuries and suspensions?  And never, for one minute of any match, want to play three centre backs?  Who is playing right back at the moment?

• Like 3

I'm calling it now, last game of the season against Liverpool, Saints need three points to stay up.

With the scores locked at 1-1 deep into injury time, Saints win a corner. JWP swings one in, and a resurgent Janny B heads in the winner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Forester said:

The level of hysteria on here is insane..  First people slag off a player as not good enough, then up in arms when it looks like Bournemouth may get him.  Which one is it?

There could be many reasons he is going there, if he is.  Firstly they aren’t rock bottom of the table!  But it may be they are gambling and not inserting relegation clause in contract.  Have a look at clubs that have done that in the past, Pompey, Leeds (fifteen years out of Premier League) etc etc.

The reality is that we needed to sign at least one more striker in the summer and didn’t,  and it will be massively difficult to do so now unless we are prepared to pay ludicrous money.  Why would a top striker (as opposed to promising one but unproven) join the club bottom of the Premier League?  We need to have a bit of self awareness.  This is why I say that is we go down the Board and Ralph are accountable not Jones who arrived with us in bottom three.

Why is it hard to sign one better than Armstrong, Adams or even Mara? Needed since the summer when it was clear we needed one and the other clubs on same points can sign one?

How can we sign Alcaraz and Orisic if it’s that difficult to get someone to join?

• Like 1

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Why is it hard to sign one better than Armstrong, Adams or even Mara? 

Well we signed those 3, and you obviously think they aren't good enough. I'm guessing we hoped for more from all 3 which suggests that it is actually quite difficult.

7 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Such a bizarre backward club at the moment. Has anyone ever spoken more bollocks then Nathan Jones? I wish the guy would just shut up. 

Don't know if you noticed, everyone connected with football talks bollocks, if you're winning you're the second coming of christ and if you're losing a moron.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I'm calling it now, last game of the season against Liverpool, Saints need three points to stay up.

With the scores locked at 1-1 deep into injury time, Saints win a corner. JWP swings one in, and a resurgent Janny B heads in the winner.

Please wake up!

10 minutes ago, Forester said:

The expectation is a striker that is better than Adams, Armstrong and Mara. That's not unrealistic. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

No shit Sherlock - just not seeing any potency being added.

would like to know the question which this was in response to mind.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
Fat fingers small screen

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

4/5 or even 3 none of it matters if you don’t/can’t defend set pieces 

It does - because taking someone out of midfield to play at the back completely kills us going forward. At least there is a chance we can score 2 if we play a back 4. Clearly it's not made us any more solid playing a back 4, if anything it's made us more porous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

4/5 or even 3 none of it matters if you don’t/can’t defend set pieces 

he's added an extra `tall' player by playing Lyanco at RB, but it still hasn't stopped set piece goals going in. JKWP, WP, Diallo, Lavia, Perraud, Ely, Edozie...these guys just don't strike me as being all that good in the air, so you can kind of see why.

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Depends what you define as a 'small tight squad'. We have 27 in the first team squad atm. This includes Willy, who it would appear would only play in an absolute emergency and Tino, who is probably unlikely to play any significant role this season. That takes us down to 25. Then I guess you you have to allow for injuries. Currently McCarthy, ABK, Stu & Larios at different stages of returns to fitness. That takes it down to 21, maybe 22 if McCarthy is fit to return this week. Then you have Lavia, whose game time is being managed quite carefully and Orsic & Alcares who appear to have been working up to full fitness. Then take a look at the quality of some of the remaining players who are fully fit in principle.......🤦‍♂️. A 'small tight squad' might be OK if it was a 'small tight high quality squad'!

12 minutes ago, Saint-Michael said:

Im getting the feeling that we will hear the same old story at the end of the transfer window that the club tried to get a striker but a suitable one for our style of play ect could not be found .

Notoriously difficult to bring in anybody with any real quality during the Jan transfer window.  Add the fact that we are pretty much already relegated, then we are not a great proposition for anybody with any real premiere league ambition.  Personally, I agree with you, doubt we will see anyone else bought in - we appear to be prepping for the championship. 

Edited by Micky

9 minutes ago, Micky said:

Notoriously difficult to bring in anybody with any real quality during the Jan transfer window.  Add the fact that we are pretty much already relegated, then we are not a great proposition for anybody with any real premiere league ambition.  Personally, I agree with you, doubt we will see anyone else bought in - we appear to be prepping for the championship. 

The club should have thought about that when they had the opportunity to bring someone in in the summer then. Once that didn't happen they had three months to prepare for getting someone in January even if it meant paying slightly over the odds. The club have basically failed and its entirely their own fault. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Micky said:

Three of our next five league fixtures are against teams around us and a fourth at Brentford where points are achievable. There is a three point gap from 20th to 14th place so to say we're pretty much relegated is nonsense!

Bringing in somebody with some confidence up front is essential to us being competitive in those fixtures, but to write us off is laughable until the window is shut and we know the state of play for the rest of the season. We also have the added benefit that our next league fixture isn't until after the window closes.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

NJ takes the flak for this, but I suspect this is just trumpeting what has been handed down from above. Not signing anyone of note it appears - especially the striker - so start the "small tight squad ... happy with it (see last week's ref to Che and Mara)...

Seem to recall Ralph saying similar.

In fairness NJ does say about improving the squad and the whole extract seems about offloading 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Micky said:

:mcinnes:

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Sounds like Jimmy-Jay Morgan wants out now. 

So now we don't even get to see the talented young guys play!

If I'm honest, he's a little bit daft. He should have a chat to Dibling. He'd get game time next year with us in a lower league, make a name for himself and then potentially earn him and us a fair wedge. He'll now go to City or Chelsea and be awaiting his first team debut at 22 after pissing away most of his career in development squads.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

With the scores locked at 2-1 to saints deep into injury time, Liverpool win a corner. TAA swings one in, and a resurgent Janny B heads in the equalizer.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

One issue i see with this strategy. Is there really going to be a feeding frenzy at the last minute for the dregs(passengers) we're putting on the market.

Just now, John B said:

and played pretty dreadfully as well

I am supposed to be a Miserableoldgit but some people on here do make me laugh. When we beat a top team (which we have on a number of occasions) and the pundits all put it down to the opposition playing badly rather than Saints playing well, they are all up in arms saying that Saints are not getting the credit they deserve, but when it suits the doomsters agenda we get this sort of response.

57 minutes ago, Scummer said:

Well we signed those 3, and you obviously think they aren't good enough. I'm guessing we hoped for more from all 3 which suggests that it is actually quite difficult.

I think they aren’t good enough ? Do you think they are?  surely our goals scored shows I am correct?

1 hour ago, Forester said:

Is anyone up in arms that Jackson is going to Bournemouth? if so, I've managed to miss it. I thought the general consensus was fans were unhappy we haven't signed a quality goal scorer to try and keep us in the league?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Understand your point, but I don’t think Jones is seen by the club as a long ball tactician…just someone who instructs his GK to mix it up a bit with better distribution - supposedly Bazunu’s strength. So in short I do think Jones is a safe bet appointment in the event of relegation - perfect preparation for a tough first season in the Championship.

When an organisation wants to change out top management and bring in preferred candidates, the moves will be planned and executed over months if not years. It’s kind of a win-win…Jones keeps us up, he’s a hero and we get a very suited DoF. We go down, we’ve got the best Manager for the league and a ready made DoF to re-build as new CEO. Think Shields was another piece in the jigsaw but that didn’t work out as planned clearly.

I think you overlook the fact that if Jones takes us down he is unlikely to have the backing of the fan base and things will become very toxic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

Jones found a formula that worked against City, what happened to it? 

The squad isn't good enough or consistent enough to win every week, we havent just found a magic bottled formula because we played well and won a game.

5 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I am supposed to be a Miserableoldgit but some people on here do make me laugh. When we beat a top team (which we have on a number of occasions) and the pundits all put it down to the opposition playing badly rather than Saints playing well, they are all up in arms saying that Saints are not getting the credit they deserve, but when it suits the doomsters agenda we get this sort of response.

City played pretty badly that night and we played better than usual so we deserved to win

“We need a small tight squad”

Proceeds to bring back a guy that couldn’t wait to leave and put the boot into us

👍🏻

Very glad Jones at least recognises we need bigger, stronger, more aggressive players because we must be the most weak team in the league. Get some big athletes who have a bit of aggression and they'll do the work the weaklings can't. 

• Like 1