January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is this Jackson fella any good? Hell of a lot of cash on someone who doesn't score. Doesn't really solve our issue. 

I've been flogging his virtues on here for ages, but not a chance would I pay €25m on him (not that I think that is accurate). A loan with a view to a move is what we should be pushing for, especially as there are rumours of him having fallen out with the manager, but Villarreal seem to feel they hold the cards, so ain't gonna accept that. 

There is powerful, bullying type runner with the ball there, like a young Lukaku type, that might help get us up the pitch, give us a real threat on the break and perhaps move opposing high defensive lines back a bit. He may be able to lead a line, although not 100% sure about that. He's scored some pretty impressive goals at youth level and the odd one or two for their reserves, but you'd have to be pretty brave to say he will come in and score five or 6 goals to keep us up. That said, other than Ings, I am not sure who that guy would be though as we create so few chances and thus the guy would need to clinical AND on fire, as Ings was 3 seasons ago. 

One question I have i, are we going to play one up front (with wingers) or two? 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

€25m….really? Seems like we’re overpaying by about double for a player we don’t really need who doesn’t score goals. Go figure, 

39 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Getting strong vibes of Djenepo MKII. 😅

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is this Jackson fella any good? Hell of a lot of cash on someone who doesn't score. Doesn't really solve our issue. 

At that sort of price seems a large gamble for a player who as you say doesn't seem a goalscorer. From the youtube videos he looks somewhere between a Trainee Zaha (and we need him to come good immediately not in 18months) and a Chicken George MkII (for those old enough to remember him), or Djenepo as Fareham suggests. 

Have to wonder how motivated in the Championship he'll be, or what we might end up having to release him for if we go down.

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

Report that he is going to Bournemouth not use 

🚨 𝙄𝙉𝙁𝙊𝙍𝙈𝘼𝘾𝙄𝙊́𝙉 @marcosbenito9 🚨

↔ Nico Jackson firmará como nuevo jugador del Bournemouth.  

✍ Llegará desde el Villarreal por 20 millones + variables.

Edited by Give it to Ron

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've been flogging his virtues on here for ages, but not a chance would I pay €25m on him (not that I think that is accurate). A loan with a view to a move is what we should be pushing for, especially as there are rumours of him having fallen out with the manager, but Villarreal seem to feel they hold the cards, so ain't gonna accept that. 

There is powerful, bullying type runner with the ball there, like a young Lukaku type, that might help get us up the pitch, give us a real threat on the break and perhaps move opposing high defensive lines back a bit. He may be able to lead a line, although not 100% sure about that. He's scored some pretty impressive goals at youth level and the odd one or two for their reserves, but you'd have to be pretty brave to say he will come in and score five or 6 goals to keep us up. That said, other than Ings, I am not sure who that guy would be though as we create so few chances and thus the guy would need to clinical AND on fire, as Ings was 3 seasons ago. 

Poor mans Nlundulu? 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

Booked marked to revisit after his 6th game 

23 minutes ago, Forester said:

I dont think this means ABK is more badly injured. Just sheer maths that, if on occasions, you want to play three at the back you realistically need five in squad to cover injuries and suspensions 

and add jones seeing lyanco as a right back in the 4, another cb was needed.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

At 10 past 6 we were "in advanced talks" with Nicolas Jackson, by quarter past 7 it was "not particularly close".

Who do we believe, SkySports_Sheth or Alex Crook ?

they are both full of shit allegedly...............

6 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

they are both full of shit allegedly...............

The club is full of it not one striker in a year that’s not better standard than Adams, Long or Armstrong. 8 days left and nothing.

I can’t wait until we feed the Athletic next week we bid 35m on xxxxxxx but club wouldn’t let go or want to come.

we want 5 centre halves when we have forwards who can’t hit a cows arse

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Perhaps an opportunity to bring in a proper striker has presented itself, causing us to cool off interest in Jackson as the money is going there instead? 

There’s no reason you’d sign for Bournemouth over Saints (unless they are paying crazy wages?). There’s also not going to be a budget to spend €25m on 2 attacking players.

Wishful thinking, I know… but we've been linked to Jackson for so long and it’s been dragging its feet for a while. Whether that’s negotiations or perhaps there are other irons in the fire we wanted to try.

22 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Perhaps an opportunity to bring in a proper striker has presented itself, causing us to cool off interest in Jackson as the money is going there instead? 

There’s no reason you’d sign for Bournemouth over Saints (unless they are paying crazy wages?). There’s also not going to be a budget to spend €25m on 2 attacking players.

Wishful thinking, I know… but we've been linked to Jackson for so long and it’s been dragging its feet for a while. Whether that’s negotiations or perhaps there are other irons in the fire we wanted to try.

This could be plausible. We wait to find out. I'm hoping Beto is our top target. 

• Like 1

Sure I saw something suggesting a premier league club has bid for Sheraldo Becker from Union Berlin. No idea if it’s us or if he’s any good, but has scored 7 in 16 league games this season. Seems to play as a second striker off someone else, probably similar to Adams tbh. One to keep an eye on maybe…

• Like 1

Why are we even in for Jackson we don't need him..... 

We have been crying out for a striker since last summer...

The fans have been screaming about this since then... 

Board need to stop sodding around trying to be clever and smack down £25 - 30 million on someone like 

Beto or Moussa Dembele 

Fail to do something similar and we are down......

Recalling s##t defenders and relying on a pair of strikers who couldn't score in a brothel on a regular basis isn't fhe anwser. 

Put the money on the table and get it done it's getting embarrassing every window with the same old excuses.....

• Like 4

On 18/01/2023 at 19:30, imadirtyurchin said:

Or

plays one game gets injured doesn’t reappear for 3 games. Scores. Starts next game gets injured, misses 5 games. Scores (rinse and repeat)

uses up our wage budget and transfer money and doesn’t deliver the goals we need (but yes, does score 1 in every 2.5 games played) 

I think this is a much more likely scenario. Good player but not the risk we need to take imho. Unless we can get him on loan. 

Wow I wish I was this accurate with my lottery picks.

but is it better to have an injured ings than to have nobody at all?? 

Edited by imadirtyurchin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Board need to stop sodding around trying to be clever and smack down £25 - 30 million on someone like 

Beto or Moussa Dembele 

Recalling s##t defenders and relying on a pair of strikers who couldn't score in a brothel on a regular basis isn't fhe anwser. 

Put the money on the table and get it done it's getting embarrassing every window with the same old excuses.....

Moussa Dembele 2 goals, 0 assists in 14 league games

Nicolas Jackson 2 goals, 2 assists in 14 games

One we "don't need". One we need to "smack down £25m-£30m" on.

The madness of the transfer window.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Beto or Moussa Dembele 

If only it was that easy. I'm sure the board are trying very hard to get players in but unfortunately our failure to get a striker in the summer is coming back to bite us on the arse as being in our predicament will put off anyone worth their salt. Supposedly Ings turned us down and according to the Echo so has Ekambi at Lyon. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23267993.ligue-one-forward-reportedly-rejects-potential-southampton-switch/

We have almost zero chance of persuading the likes of Beto and Dembele to join even if we stumped up the huge fee. Someone like Onuachu at Genk or Gyokeres may be more realistic but whether they're good enough I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If only it was that easy. I'm sure the board are trying very hard to get players in but unfortunately our failure to get a striker in the summer is coming back to bite us on the arse as being in our predicament will put off anyone worth their salt. Supposedly Ings turned us down and according to the Echo so has Ekambi at Lyon. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23267993.ligue-one-forward-reportedly-rejects-potential-southampton-switch/

We have almost zero chance of persuading the likes of Beto and Dembele to join even if we stumped up the huge fee. Someone like Onuachu at Genk or Gyokeres may be more realistic but whether they're good enough I have no idea.

Well if the only option is Armstrong then the bar is very low he was atrocious against Villa. Are we saying we can’t improve on him?

Edited by Give it to Ron

4 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Well if the only option is Armstrong then the bar is very low he was atrocious against Villa. Are we saying we can’t improve on him?

I agree it's a low bar. Are Jackson, Haji Wright, Estupinan etc upgrades? Plenty of links which have been met with disdain on here, I think we're unlikely to get someone who everyone thinks is a clear upgrade as we're just not very attractive atm. I expect us to get someone in but doubt it will be anyone with a proven record in a top league.

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I agree it's a low bar. Are Jackson, Haji Wright, Estupinan etc upgrades? Plenty of links which have been met with disdain on here, I think we're unlikely to get someone who everyone thinks is a clear upgrade as we're just not very attractive atm. I expect us to get someone in but doubt it will be anyone with a proven record in a top league.

Honestly I know nothing about any of them but the thought of no-one again in this window and reliant on what we have means certain relegation. We need 7 or 8 wins how will we get those with Adams,Mara or Armstrong?

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We'd be better off looking at someone at a top club we can loan with an option at the end of the season. Big bonus if we stay up. 

Probably the most likely option. There’s going to be a limit to who we can attract in our position and who would want to sell in the January window. I expect we will see a couple of last minute loans from big clubs after they have sorted out their business. Makes more sense than chucking silly money at some chump who has only scored twice this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

And what makes you think this guy will actually want to join us?

Then there’s also the small matter of his current club actually wanting to sell.

Not a chance in hell.

A guy scoring goals for a mid table Italian top flight side ain't joining a Prem team facing relegation in January, especially one of our limited size and prestige. Not a chance. Yes money talks, but there will be other suitors come the summer that will pay him handsomely.