January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Any idea who we can buy who scores 20 a season who will

A. Join us in a relegation fight

B. Cost 30M or less

Why does it have to be a 20 a season guy?  Stevie wonder could scout someone with better finishing then adams. 

like I’m saying if we blow 30m on another two unnecessary players  that’s plenty enough to be signing a quality striker 

we need to get our priorities right 

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Care to point out when Ralph said he had a long term injury?  If he had said that then no one would have questioned the situation but he didn't.  In the absence of any information on his injury, it was entirely reasonable to ask questions about him not being selected or playing much at all.

NJ mentioned it over a week ago, that’s what I read on here. And even after that, people were still questioning why he wasn’t picked. Things get lost on these threads sometimes. 

I can’t point you to the thread or date though sorry.  I just know I read about his injury here and the club didn’t want him playing through pain or injections. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

We’ve got two of the best strikers in the championship. Should be a doddle.

We bought Che Adams from Birmingham after they had finished 17th, and Adam Armstrong from Blackburn after they had finished 16th.  They might be capable of scoring at that level, but would our defence be capable of restricting the opposition ?

6 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

NJ mentioned it over a week ago, that’s what I read on here. And even after that, people were still questioning why he wasn’t picked. Things get lost on these threads sometimes. 

I can’t point you to the thread or date though sorry.  I just know I read about his injury here and the club didn’t want him playing through pain or injections. 

Yeah, exactly.  NJ was the first to mention a long term injury and that's my point.  If it had been mentioned earlier I doubt many would have said much.  In the same way not many are questioning Lavia being subbed in every game, or ABK or Livramento not playing. 

9 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Earlier in the month NJ said that Stuart Armstrong had been "playing through pain", but didn't elaborate.

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, exactly.  NJ was the first to mention a long term injury and that's my point.  If it had been mentioned earlier I doubt many would have said much.  In the same way not many are questioning Lavia being subbed in every game, or ABK or Livramento not playing. 

Jones said because of his age and fitness problem they are having to manage Lavia's playing time because they fear he will break down again if he plays too many games fpr too long.

After a days work, you find the only news is Jan Bednarek has been recalled. FFS. A leader, a voice, aggressive. We’ve got the wrong player.

An overly passive, self-inflated egotistical knobhead full of mistakes and shirks the club paying his wages to sit on the Poland bench is the correct description.

Villa couldn’t believe their luck getting him off the wage bill. If only Arsenal would recall Maitland-Niles.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Bednarek > Lyanco. Defensively.

All IMO and I know I'll be in the minority saying it but I get nervous watching Lyanco. He is better on the ball than Jan though and hasn't pissed off the fanbase yet. However neither should be near a Premier League starting line up...

Imagine them as a pair 🤣🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

he called him Janny B 😂

Last week

Ankersen "Jones, Villa have given us permission to speak to Danny Ings. Call him and tell him what you have planned for him, whatever you do don't let him go to West Ham instead of us"

Jones "Straight away Boss"

ring ring

Jones "Hello. Is that Aston Villa? Jones here from Southampton. Can I speak to Janny B please ....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Behave. Footballers live in big closed off mansions and spend their time on their PlayStations, Netflix, committing sexual assault or betting on horses. 

Whether their mansion is Hampshire or Sussex (or Cheshire or Staffordshire or Worcestershire) not that much of a difference. London clubs more attractive than playing for Middlesbrough or out of the way Norwich but between Hampshire and the county next door? No mate.

I appreciate what you are saying but I do happen to believe that broader lifestyle has a role to play in decision, and these football robots also have families too. A location is not the only reason but it is bound to be a factor. I appreciate that money will be the biggest driver and they can go anywhere they want but I think it is more nuanced. And I know, I know, we don’t do nuance when judging player decisions. 

What location does impact is how many wealthier people live in the place, having better and richer companies based there who might help corporate sales, sponsorship revenue etc. This won’t be as much as a betting company but it will be a marginal gain that everyone gets so excited about. Then that club can pay a little extra to a player, or just have better coaches, other staff who support the players etc. 

Who knows if I’m right. Who knows if any of us is right. What we all know is that we don’t score enough goals and let in too many, and hope that a goal scorer couldn’t give a shit whether he’s in St. Tropez or St. Mary’s 😎

37 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Nobody likes to say 'I told you so' but,

I told you so.

You can imagine the kerfuffle if D Ings had signed for us and then got injured.

btw as mentioned elsewhere I am reliably informed that an approach was made to D Ing's agent with an offer and this was turned down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I appreciate what you are saying but I do happen to believe that broader lifestyle has a role to play in decision, and these football robots also have families too. A location is not the only reason but it is bound to be a factor. I appreciate that money will be the biggest driver and they can go anywhere they want but I think it is more nuanced. And I know, I know, we don’t do nuance when judging player decisions. 

What location does impact is how many wealthier people live in the place, having better and richer companies based there who might help corporate sales, sponsorship revenue etc. This won’t be as much as a betting company but it will be a marginal gain that everyone gets so excited about. Then that club can pay a little extra to a player, or just have better coaches, other staff who support the players etc. 

Who knows if I’m right. Who knows if any of us is right. What we all know is that we don’t score enough goals and let in too many, and hope that a goal scorer couldn’t give a shit whether he’s in St. Tropez or St. Mary’s 😎

I agree with the general point but I think you are overplaying how much better Brighton is vs Hampshire if you are a millionaire. It’s not that much better. Marginal.

Livramento for example chose us over them.

• Like 2

Just now, CB Fry said:

I agree with the general point but I think you are overplaying how much better Brighton is vs Hampshire if you are a millionaire. It’s not that much better. Marginal.

Livramento for example chose us over them.

True and I think perhaps it’s not as important for British players and there isn’t much difference between locations. I wonder if it different for international players, who have grown up with more importance on food, closer communities and the like. Having more social opportunities with likeminded people, or who speak the language will probably help make them feel more comfortable with a place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This entirely. The Championship is not easy at all, and if we go down how many on here realistically think we’d bounce back up?

I doubt there is many.

We need to win ugly and scrappy to stay up.

We'll walk the Championship 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

Apart from the fact that 'staying at Southampton' triggered mental health issues.  Coming back is obviously going to make that so much better :mcinnes:

Edit - seen your edit and understand you were being as sarcastic as me 😉

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Apart from the fact that 'staying at Southampton' triggered mental health issues.  Coming back is obviously going to make that so much better :mcinnes:

It isn’t really funny in itself but I’ve got that stage now of just laughing at everything the club does. No wonder Tella has improved under Kompany in half a season in a fully professional environment. Albeit in the second tier but I can see Saints doing a Sunderland and dropping straight into L1 by 2024 if they don’t sort themselves out this summer and appoint some football and non-football executive leaders who know what the fuck they are doing and are capable of shaping some talented but callow players into an effective and organised unit. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

I don’t think he is actually that bad - his body on the line defending has been great at times. Unfortunately he’s useless on the ball and slow so not exactly suited to playing the high line Ralph wanted or passing out from the back as Ralph wanted. In short, the worst possible fit for Ralph’s system.

He might do better in this system … but the one place we’re leaking goals is marking at set pieces and he’s not exactly a man mountain.

Like your positive way of thinking. I'm now wondering if he might be better in the air than Lyanco and DCC? Knowing us, he'll come in, we stop conceding goals from set pieces, but goals will leak in every other way.

This season has been a masterclass in how not to run a football club

27 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

It isn’t really funny in itself but I’ve got that stage now of just laughing at everything the club does. No wonder Tella has improved under Kompany in half a season in a fully professional environment. Albeit in the second tier but I can see Saints doing a Sunderland and dropping straight into L1 by 2024 if they don’t sort themselves out this summer and appoint some football and non-football executive leaders who know what the fuck they are doing and are capable of shaping some talented but callow players into an effective and organised unit. 

Great post.  This season has been a masterclass in how not to run a football club.  Incompetence and apathy seem to be running right through the club.  We need people in that actually know what they’re doing.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Bednarek is a better defender than Lyanco, he is actually not an awful defender 

Unfortunately he is a bellend and reports say he was a disruptive influence under Ralph… so makes little sense to recall

I assume ABK injury is more serious then we first thought

You must be on fucking drugs kid if you think Bednarek is better.

He will come back here make half hearted tackles or contribution and hold his face in his hands when we concede time and time again. 

Rather a full blooded shit Lyanco than that prick.

• Like 3

Incredibly uninspiring move, especially for that kind of money. 4 goals in 50 career first team appearances.

They obviously have a decent eye for young talent, but this is a serious outlay for somebody who has enough senior experience to look like he isn't quite worth it.

Absolutely massive pressure on the guy as well.