January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

18 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Still no radio station or insurance company......?

I dont understand the hilarity of the radio station. Having a radio station blaring all around Hants, Dorset Wiltshire advertising our club, tickets etc etc was a fantastic advertising tool. In principle it was valid. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Another Monday, still no striker…2 cup semi finals and nope, still got Adams Armstrong and Mara…so disappointing 

Yeah, it's a bit of a cluster fuck to put it lightly. I appreciate that strikers are the hardest slots to fill, but we've had half a year to source and scope out a striker to fill the void that has been obvious and a necessity since July (probably even before that once we knew Broja wasn't staying). It's bonkers that we're still in the rumour zone with nothing concrete, and even more frustrating there are now talks coming out about how the club trust Adams and Mara! Massive alarm bells for me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I dont understand the hilarity of the radio station. Having a radio station blaring all around Hants, Dorset Wiltshire advertising our club, tickets etc etc was a fantastic advertising tool. In principle it was valid. 

I wasn't against it (I actually went into the studio at SMS and did an interview with Mark Dennis once), but I think the problem is/was. like now, that off field activities were seen to be taking preference over improving the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

They’ll get Dyche.

He’ll keep them up.

Get them to 8th next season and Everton fans will want him out because of the style isn’t “Everton”.

I would be very jealous of that because that is precisely what our stupid board should have done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not sure if that's more embarrassing for Bednarek, who chatted shit about being part of a big club only to play one game and be happily sent back. Or us, who have somehow deemed this tool necessary to be part of our relegation.

I'm hoping he's coming back because he's due to be sold and bring in a bit of money. could see him backup at West Ham now they've lost Dawson. He was linked with them in the summer

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'm hoping he's coming back because he's due to be sold and bring in a bit of money. could see him backup at West Ham now they've lost Dawson. He was linked with them in the summer

Unfortunately I think that's a little optimistic, given the previous links to Keane (unless they were nonsense) suggesting that he probably wanted another CB in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Unfortunately I think Bednarek will be seen as another opportunity to tinker with the starting backline, rather than playing players where they’re best suited…I.e. KWP and Perraud at RB/LB for example. Rinse, repeat, fail.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Bednarek coming back. Let's hope he doesn't count as one of the 'new' signings. 

Makes sense (sadly) if the ABK injury is likely to keep him out a while as we are playing the other three CBs in the first eleven and don't have a fourth should any of those get injured.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Isn't there a rule that players can't play for 3 clubs in one season? He started the first two games of the season for us. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Isn't there a rule that players can't play for 3 clubs in one season? He started the first two games of the season for us. 

Yep, he won’t be going anywhere until the summer 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Rather have Jack Stephens back frankly. At least his heart is in the right place and he shows spirit and guts. Any faith that I managed to harvest after our magical week and Ankersen’s interview is already draining away …….fickle bastard that I am. Saturday was soul destroying 

We can't defend set pieces. Stephens is shorter than all our other CB's.

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Makes sense (sadly) if the ABK injury is likely to keep him out a while as we are playing the other three CBs in the first eleven and don't have a fourth should any of those get injured.

When is ABK expected back? 

Waiting for Jones to describe Bednarek as "like a new signing" 

Is he cup tied for games this week? 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

No idea about ABK injury.

Bednarek's not cup tied for the League cup, but is for FA cup.

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Checked 

He can play against Newcastle in Carabao (wasn't able to play for Villa in that as he'd already played for us at Cambridge) 

He can't play against Blackpool as played in Villa's defeat to Stevenage 

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Played in Villa's 1-2 FA Cup home loss to the mighty Stevenage.

Played for us, believe it or not, in the EFL Cup second round win against Cambridge.

It's an absolute shambles that the answer is Bednarek. Good lord. The bloke who sad it was important for his career to move to a bigger club...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20891790.bednarek-stresses-importance-moving-bigger-club-aston-villa/

“I’m happy, excited and looking forward to a new adventure for me,” he told the Villa website.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and another great step.

“It’s really important for me to move to a bigger club and to improve as a player, and Villa is the best place for me to do that."
“It’s a great opportunity for me and another great step.

“It’s really important for me to move to a bigger club and to improve as a player, and Villa is the best place for me to do that."
“It was always a great atmosphere and it’s a great stadium, so I’m looking forward to playing in front of our fans and winning games to make them happy.”

If we go to a back 5, Jones can just fuck off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

I'd rather have seen Tells coming back. For gods sake SR,  buy a striker! 

Don't understand the weak Saints mentality. Other teams would have simply told Tella he was coming back.

Instead we're getting garbage bednarek back despite showing nothing on loan, after also making dsnide comments when he went to Villa.

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's an absolute shambles that the answer is Bednarek. Good lord. The bloke who sad it was important for his career to move to a bigger club...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20891790.bednarek-stresses-importance-moving-bigger-club-aston-villa/

And don't forget he downed tools and refused to play for us, as he was focused on the WC Qualifier for Poland. Don't want him anywhere near us, nor should anyone at the club. But we're a bit bat-crazy at the moment so I fully expect it to happen and it'll be wrapped up as an addition making us stronger.

Only we can bring back our old unwanted shit under the guise of it making us stronger.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

I doubt anyone thinks that Bednarek is "the answer" to anything. Just looking at the downbeat announcement on the club twitter feed shows you that. 

I imagine Villa had no interest in keeping him now, especially since Emery arrived. If there was a break clause, they've activated it.

We've got a CB injury. At the end of the day he is contracted to us so we're stuck with him.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Perhaps that’s his answer, play a back four with 4 centre backs.

He likes playing Lyanco at right back so Salisu left back and the Polish Maldini can play with Duje in the middle.

We will still get done at set pieces because it doesn’t matter how fucking tall the defenders are they need to learn how to mark players.

We are so shit at getting on the end of crosses or corners in the oppo box as well, that was possibly the only thing that Bednarek was ok at.

Edited by northam soul

To be fair, the whole bigger club comment from Bednerak doesn’t really bother me. 

He’d just signed for a new club and they always spout that sort of shit and to be honest, he’s right, they are a bigger club. 

My biggest concern is that he’s just really not any good. He’s on par with Lyanco in terms of being a liability. 

Id have much rather we recalled Stephens of the 2, who’s a decent bloke and could cover at RB like Lyanco has been playing. 

It’s a concern as I think it highlights the desire to persist with a back 5. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And don't forget he downed tools and refused to play for us, as he was focused on the WC Qualifier for Poland. Don't want him anywhere near us, nor should anyone at the club. But we're a bit bat-crazy at the moment so I fully expect it to happen and it'll be wrapped up as an addition making us stronger.

Only we can bring back our old unwanted shit under the guise of it making us stronger.

"With the greatest of respect, the fans have been on at us to get in an effective striker and that's what we've done"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The key question is how we are strengthening versus our rivals, not just are we strengthening . So Wolves have just got Dawson in, we are going for Bednerak. Now  there is a half decent player somewhere in Bednerak but he is painfully slow and not great in the air. If Jones could make him more aggressive that might work, but I just don’t see that ever being part of Bednerak game. It’s not like when he was playing he would head out all and sundry - I recall an equal amount of free headers as now. 

9 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

"With the greatest of respect, the fans have been on at us to get in an effective striker and that's what we've done"

I’m from a small welsh mining village and let me tell you there were plenty of people who moved away to better things only to come back when they realised how good they had it, just like Jan has. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

So long ball is the way you wish for. They did the same with Big Sam, kept them up but 

I'd play any formation/tactic whatsoever as long as it kept us up. If we go down we're gone for years

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Sounds to me like the ABK injury is worse than we thought. Bednarek will probably increase our og tally, that was certainly one of his strengths. But I understand he left because he fell out with Ralph so maybe a new start with new manager might work out.

Paul Doswell said he was faking that injury when he went of against Forest and I for one believe him 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't understand the weak Saints mentality. Other teams would have simply told Tella he was coming back.

Instead we're getting garbage bednarek back despite showing nothing on loan, after also making dsnide comments when he went to Villa.

That's one of the major problems at this football club - none of them have any balls and that includes most of the players, management and SR.

27 minutes ago, DT said:

I'd play any formation/tactic whatsoever as long as it kept us up. If we go down we're gone for years

Really? Armstrong and Adams can score goals in the Championship. If we do go down I wouldn’t be surprised to see us come back up within one or two seasons.

• Like 2