January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Chez said:

he's added an extra `tall' player by playing Lyanco at RB, but it still hasn't stopped set piece goals going in. JKWP, WP, Diallo, Lavia, Perraud, Ely, Edozie...these guys just don't strike me as being all that good in the air, so you can kind of see why.

We need some size, strength,stamina and power in midfield, the engine room where box to box players operate - we lack this vital ingredient plus a few others too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Yup, I agree, I just wonder if the club had given Ralph the striker he was telling everyone we were getting if he'd still be here, I'd imagine any motivation he had disappeared the day the transfer window ended and there was still no striker, must be pretty demotivating when you're promised the tools to do your job, then not given them, especially when it's your reputation as a manager on the line.

Agreed. I think history worked against Ralph somewhat - let’s face it the performances were dire and the results worse. If they had given him a striker in the summer, there’s every chance it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference to the results. It’s not as if there were no signings and who knows perhaps Ralph prioritised Lavia, Edozie etc.

17 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think you overlook the fact that if Jones takes us down he is unlikely to have the backing of the fan base and things will become very toxic.

Yep, exactly. He would either go in the summer or fairly early into the season if we didn't start well. Can't think of too many recent examples where a manager has been relegated after taking over mid season and then gone on to be a success with that club (I suppose McMenemy would be a more historic example!). Benitez at Newcastle possibly but he took over pretty late in the season with them in a much worse position than when Jones joined Saints. 

23 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think you overlook the fact that if Jones takes us down he is unlikely to have the backing of the fan base and things will become very toxic.

Maybe, but given we’ve been dicing with relegation for a few seasons I highly doubt they’ll sack him and if he can’t get us firing in the Championship who will? Once he’s got us in the play-off places after a few games he’ll be worshipped, mark my words! If not then he’ll be sacked pronto. Before that I suspect Semmens will be the sacrificial lamb.

25 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Is anyone up in arms that Jackson is going to Bournemouth? if so, I've managed to miss it. I thought the general consensus was fans were unhappy we haven't signed a quality goal scorer to try and keep us in the league?

That is the general consensus. The worry is how long we've been linked with Jackson and how much effort went into getting a deal done, whether he was our striker target (hes played there), and what it says about our other targets if he was top of the list.

Personally I dont think we were overly sold by Jackson, given the fact we pushed for a loan deal first. He has raw talent no doubt but it seems we werent willing to go above 20m. Still holding out hope for an actual striker and a DM before the deadline next week

6 minutes ago, derry said:

I get the feeling it's us setting a lower valuation and not attempting to reach an acceptable compromise. We aren't going to be able to buy players on the cheap in the January window.

We obviously learnt the lesson with Gakpo in the summer............ohhhh

49 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I think they aren’t good enough ? Do you think they are?  surely our goals scored shows I am correct?

I'd love us to score more goals, obviously. But we paid around £15m for each of Adams and Armstrong, and something like £12m for Mara. They weren't bargain basement signings, and I'm sure we would have scouted them thoroughly and thought they would score more than they have. If we've got it wrong 3 times in a row (and a couple more high profile ones in the past), I'm not convinced that we'll easily be able to sign anyone better this time.

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

We need some size, strength,stamina and power in midfield, the engine room where box to box players operate - we lack this vital ingredient plus a few others too.

That’s what my wife says too

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Scummer said:

I'd love us to score more goals, obviously. But we paid around £15m for each of Adams and Armstrong, and something like £12m for Mara. They weren't bargain basement signings, and I'm sure we would have scouted them thoroughly and thought they would score more than they have. If we've got it wrong 3 times in a row (and a couple more high profile ones in the past), I'm not convinced that we'll easily be able to sign anyone better this time.

Mara was signed as one for the future. We were intending to sign another striker to score goals this season. Also those are bargain basement prices in today's markets, albeit Adams and Armstrong were going out of contract so we thought they were worth more

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

It takes us weeks of haggling, so can’t see us reaching a deal within a week.

It's hard to determine that just from stories in the press. Often deal are completed well before we announce. We often will have enquired and dropped the enquiry long before the press stop talking about it. There is also occasions when there will be a chain that we need to wait for. 

Also, we may not be starting work on a new deal. A deal could be well in progress. Who knows?

10 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Adams and Armstrong were going out of contract so we thought they were worth more

If we thought they were worth more, that just backs up my point. It's very easy to spend £30m on a striker and for them to be an absolute waste of space.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we are that serious about spending otherwise could have just concentrated on what we needed which is a proven goalscorer. Maybe we need a hammering tonight and lose on Saturday to concentrate the minds. Whatever they say they would have to be stupid to even think that Adams, Armstrong and Mara are going to get goals.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, derry said:

I'm not sure we are that serious about spending otherwise could have just concentrated on what we needed which is a proven goalscorer. Maybe we need a hammering tonight and lose on Saturday to concentrate the minds. Whatever they say they would have to be stupid to even think that Adams, Armstrong and Mara are going to get goals.

We’re bottom of the league We’ve lost 5 of the last 6 league games and only won 4 all season. I’m not sure losing two more games is going to “concentrate the minds” if they aren’t concentrated already. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We’re bottom of the league We’ve lost 5 of the last 6 league games and only won 4 all season. I’m not sure losing two more games is going to “concentrate the minds” if they aren’t concentrated already. 

Exactly, it's amazing how dire the situation has to get before the players and management realise that we are up to our eyes in deep smelly stuff.  Yes there are 19 or so games to go, but how many points did we manage to amass in our last 19 games.  Our form needs to improve drastically in order to survive this season. 

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Southampton FC tyre kickers of the PL.

We call timewasters here as ice cream lickers or carpet wearers. Seems like Saints like to view the stock but dont buy unless the 70% off ticket is displayed lol

I see us as a bit more like eBayers who get gazumped at the last possible moment, and then are presented with 'sorry you missed out on that item, you may be interested in...' with pics of a bunch of League One losers, whose auction ends in 6 days.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Will probably be harder for us to get players in as Uni shine we’re insisting on relegation wage drop clauses and naturally it’s easier for the incoming player to be “Nah you’re alright, I’ll give you a miss”. 😅

As for Jimmy-Jay Morgan - who can blame him for not wanting to renew? Shambles of a club with no real identity as things stand.
At least Ralph’s playbook was clean and simple to understand the direction the club was going.
One thing JJM should take into consideration is that the grass isn’t always greener - see Tyler Dibling.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

Who was it that signed for Villa(?) for one day, got cold feet, and went back to his former club?

David Unsworth signed for Villa in the late 90s during the close season then moved back to Everton a couple of weeks later without ever playing for Villa

• Like 1