January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Wasn’t it Manji that said we messed up a couple of deals  for attackers in the last window with semmens haggling over a couple of million?? Looks pretty believable now after the way we have handled this Jackson situation. Bournemouth showing us how to seal a deal.

get the impression it’s more of a priority for us to get perceived value and underpay on a signing   then to actually find the players who will make the differance  I mean what’s better to underpay by a couple of million on some average player or to overpay by a couple of million on the player you actually want and think will help our survival ??

hands up I was never a fan of the Jackson deal and thought the money would be better spent on a cf, but if the club have scouted him intensively and saw him as the next big thing it’s annoying to miss out haggling over a couple of poxy million..

all I want at this stage is us to target the players that are gonna get us out of this shit and be a bit decisive like Bournemouth just did. Wrap the deals up quick and stop with the lowballing crap ..

our premier league status is depending on it!

• Like 4

I seem to remember Jones saying that good clubs plan for this window from miles out and we've had a plan in place for ages so I can't believe we're going to go around Europe begging for a goal scorer into next week.

We've learnt our lesson from not getting one in the summer haven't we ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I seem to remember Jones saying that good clubs plan for this window from miles out and we've had a plan in place for ages so I can't believe we're going to go around Europe begging for a goal scorer into next week.

We've learnt our lesson from not getting one in the summer haven't we ?

I'm sure they had a plan. Whether it was a good plan is another question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

I've never seen Jackson play and his record wasn't all that impressive relative to the mooted price tag. I think the meltdown is premature until the end of the window at least.

West Ham and Bournemouth both got a deal done within a couple of days of showing an interest.

Proves it can be done if you don’t piss around.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

West Ham and Bournemouth both got a deal done within a couple of days of showing an interest.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be. Negotiating isn't 'pissing around'. We may have got this wrong, we may not - time will tell.

Let's say we set a spend limit on a wide forward because we want to put the budget towards a proper striker, Beto has been mooted at £30mil which is well above our record fee.

Legit know next to f*ck all about Jackson. Bournemouth's new owner has come in and they've spent £40mil + on two wide forwards without any experience in the league - they may take it by storm, they may flop, they may just bumble along or take 6 months + to settle in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

The deals were done within a couple of days of going public.

They could have been talking for weeks.

Is anyone genuinely surprised? The same thing happens every single window. 

We’ll end up with no one or a token loan and the shit will be spouted about it being a tough market, everyone over priced etc. 

This club is a fucking joke at the minute and we deserve every thing we get. 

I couldn’t care about not getting this Jackson fella fwiw, if only real links are us and Bournemouth I’m not too convinced he’s any good anyway, it’s just we as a club have a rotten mentality. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wasn’t it Manji that said we messed up a couple of deals  for attackers in the last window with semmens haggling over a couple of million?? Looks pretty believable now after the way we have handled this Jackson situation. Bournemouth showing us how to seal a deal.

get the impression it’s more of a priority for us to get perceived value and underpay on a signing   then to actually find the players who will make the differance  I mean what’s better to underpay by a couple of million on some average player or to overpay by a couple of million on the player you actually want and think will help our survival ??

hands up I was never a fan of the Jackson deal and thought the money would be better spent on a cf, but if the club have scouted him intensively and saw him as the next big thing it’s annoying to miss out haggling over a couple of poxy million..

all I want at this stage is us to target the players that are gonna get us out of this shit and be a bit decisive like Bournemouth just did. Wrap the deals up quick and stop with the lowballing crap ..

our premier league status is depending on it!

Yes it was . We’d have had Gapko otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

The deals were done within a couple of days of going public.

They could have been talking for weeks.

I didn't want either so am not worried about them, but fact remains we seem incapable of clinching deals after all the talk

Europes top goalscorers, some expensive names, familiar names and some unknown but fucking Dieng isnt on there and neither is Jackson.

I think SR seems to be fascinated with multi positional players but it will mean we have a load who can play anywhere but none of them can score.

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/golden-shoe-2022-23-european-football-top-scorers/blt3d377ad3bff06120#cs7f80a16e09cf0053

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Europes top goalscorers, some expensive names, familiar names and some unknown but fucking Dieng isnt on there and neither is Jackson.

I think SR seems to be fascinated with multi positional players but it will mean we have a load who can play anywhere but none of them can score.

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/golden-shoe-2022-23-european-football-top-scorers/blt3d377ad3bff06120#cs7f80a16e09cf0053

Most of them will play left back or right back - left back in the changing rooms or right back behind the goal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

I've never seen Jackson play and his record wasn't all that impressive relative to the mooted price tag. I think the meltdown is premature until the end of the window at least.

So why have SR pursued him and spent hours trying to sign him. Are they premature?

• Like 1

I don't hate Adams, he plays a good support striker, but as the main man he's hopeless. We create at least one big chance every game and he fluffs it.

Man United at home, I'm sure someone put him through and he eased it to De Gea.

Wolves open goal.

Home against Everton which would have put us 2-0 up.

West Ham, which to be fair he created the chance and beat their makeshift centre-backs, but again he hit at Fabianski.

Villa on the weekend, offside.

Lincoln one on one for his hattrick.

Tonight, again through, but hits it at the goalkeeper.

This is why we need a clinical striker. The strikers aren't getting loads of chances, so we need to make the most with the ones we are getting, which we aren't at the moment. A new winger doesn't fix the issue.

• Like 6

Just now, bogwoppit said:

Doesn’t matter who we buy, we need a change in manager.

I disagree slightly. I'm not a big fan of Jones, but we've been largely competitive in recent games but have been hamstrung by not having a striker who actually knows how to kick a football and beat a keeper. 

It's just ludicrous that the recruitment team have allowed the present situation to unfold over the last season and a half and haven't yet addressed it in this window. 

• Like 1