January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Sports Republic you incompetent nob rinces........ 

Please stop trying to be clever 

The fans know it 

We can see it 

20 - 30 Million on the table 

And buy a striker for suck fakes you bunch of clowns!

Apparently we have started talks with one as it’s a long process and they are hopeful he will be here for the 2027 season.

The board are relaxed with it and confident they can get it over the line in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, beatlesaint said:

If SR can’t see we need a striker very very badly then I really do wonder what their plan is. Bloody hell, Stevie Wonder can even see we need a striker.

Actually, is he available?

10 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Without a competent striker it really doesn't matter who our manager is.

Agreed. In systems theory, one of the basic principles is that a system is only as strong as its weakest part..or something like that

However, do I remember correctly that when he arrived, Jonesy was boasting how he would make adams into a top class striker?

30 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I disagree slightly. I'm not a big fan of Jones, but we've been largely competitive in recent games but have been hamstrung by not having a striker who actually knows how to kick a football and beat a keeper. 

It's just ludicrous that the recruitment team have allowed the present situation to unfold over the last season and a half and haven't yet addressed it in this window. 

Agreed. I'm seeing improvements in a few aspects of our performances. A proper striker with a physical presence would do us a lot of good. It would be mad to continue without one. We've been bad since Ings left other than when Broja hit a hot streak.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

If SR can’t see we need a striker very very badly then I really do wonder what their plan is. Bloody hell, Stevie Wonder can even see we need a striker.

See we need a striker? Stevie Wonder would probably score more one-on-one a than Che.

Desperate needs before the window shuts -

Striker - stating the bloody obvious

DM - Diallo did well tonight but we need somebody who is much better in possession. Hjulmand looks a good option.

RB/LB cover - Salisu nullified Almiron for most of the game tonight but in possession he was just pumping balls up and obviously offered no attacking threat. The same can be said of Lyanco when hes played RB. They're CBs and when we're playing 2 DMs at times, we need our full backs bombing forward like KWP. Perraud offers an attacking threat and has chipped in with goals but obviously not rated by NJ. Possibly we get somebody on loan as Livramento will hopefully be back March time

While we're at it, I would cancel AMNs loan and sell Djenepo

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Agreed. In systems theory, one of the basic principles is that a system is only as strong as its weakest part..or something like that

However, do I remember correctly that when he arrived, Jonesy was boasting how he would make adams into a top class striker?

Brain transplant is the only hope with turning che into top class striker.. can’t we loan him to forest or something that will be them down then :)

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Desperate needs before the window shuts -

Striker - stating the bloody obvious

DM - Diallo did well tonight but we need somebody who is much better in possession. Hjulmand looks a good option.

RB/LB cover - Salisu nullified Almiron for most of the game tonight but in possession he was just pumping balls up and obviously offered no attacking threat. The same can be said of Lyanco when hes played RB. They're CBs and when we're playing 2 DMs at times, we need our full backs bombing forward like KWP. Perraud offers an attacking threat and has chipped in with goals but obviously not rated by NJ. Possibly we get somebody on loan as Livramento will hopefully be back March time

While we're at it, I would cancel AMNs loan and sell Djenepo

Djenepo was one of our better players tonight and when he is at a his best he is great. I do think Jones is beginning to get the best out of him, so I would like him to be given a chance. However, with AMN, I think you are right - now that we have Lavia back, have signed Alcarez (who I thought was great tonight) and could also be signing Hjulmand and with Diallo also showing improvement, I don't think we need AMN.

As we all keep saying the priority has got to be a striker. Are there no 'outside the box' options to explore? Someone signed a striker from the USA the other day didn't they? Are we keeping an eye on the US Soccer scene? I'm sure we are! What about Australia? Japan? India even?!

In fact I just did a quick bit of research on up and coming Indian international strikers and came across the name Lallianzuala Chhangte. He looks pretty decent and prolific. No idea whether he would be considered good enough for the Premier League though!! Which I guiess is the big issue with a lot of these players!

Interesting comments from Jones tonight after the game.

"We just lacked a little bit of quality in terms of wide areas, once we get that confidence and get one or two in we will be a different threat. I am really proud of them"

Hints at getting a wide man and not a striker. If he can't see we are lacking quality up front then we might as well all pack it in and go home.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Djenepo was one of our better players tonight and when he is at a his best he is great. I do think Jones is beginning to get the best out of him, so I would like him to be given a chance. 

He was shite tonight imo (I'm sorry he got injured but it was a blessing in disguise) and has been poir for us full stop. There's been no improvement at all that I can see. 

Ralph's decision to give him a new contract based on a couple of half decent performances at left back must go down as one of the worst decisions ever.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

He was shite tonight imo (I'm sorry he got injured but it was a blessing in disguise) and has been poir for us full stop. There's been no improvement at all that I can see. 

Ralph's decision to give him a new contract based on a couple of half decent performances at left back must go down as one of the worst decisions ever.

I completely agree Chez, in fact in the first half Jones was getting exasperated after about 20 minutes, he called Djenepo over gave him some harsh words, and then had another word with him about 10 minutes later. Other players got frustrated at Djenepo, as he was offering no defensive cover and then not available for a pass. He seems like someone with brain fog and although he can be exciting sometimes, he far too often struggles to do the basics or read the game. With Orsic struggling on the other wing tonight, it was a lot of the reason why we were out fought and played in the first half. His injury was a blessing, and I stated so at the time he was substituted.

Edited by polegategavin
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

It wasn’t Ralph’s decision was it ffs 🤣

47 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

"We just lacked a little bit of quality in terms of wide areas, once we get that confidence and get one or two in we will be a different threat. I am really proud of them"

Hints at getting a wide man and not a striker. If he can't see we are lacking quality up front then we might as well all pack it in and go home.

You can read that how you want. My first impression is that he means one or 2 goals.

50 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Djenepo was one of our better players tonight and when he is at a his best he is great. I do think Jones is beginning to get the best out of him, so I would like him to be given a chance. However, with AMN, I think you are right - now that we have Lavia back, have signed Alcarez (who I thought was great tonight) and could also be signing Hjulmand and with Diallo also showing improvement, I don't think we need AMN.

As we all keep saying the priority has got to be a striker. Are there no 'outside the box' options to explore? Someone signed a striker from the USA the other day didn't they? Are we keeping an eye on the US Soccer scene? I'm sure we are! What about Australia? Japan? India even?!

In fact I just did a quick bit of research on up and coming Indian international strikers and came across the name Lallianzuala Chhangte. He looks pretty decent and prolific. No idea whether he would be considered good enough for the Premier League though!! Which I guiess is the big issue with a lot of these players!

This has to be bait ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

He also said we’re close to being a very good side if we can just take our chances and stop giving away goals 🤣🤣

or words to that effect 

• Haha 4

Could we tempt Craig Mackail-Smith for one last hurrah?

For all Jones says we are improving, he is being let down by SR for failing to improve his attacking options.

I was happy with Jackson, who would have added pace, power, height and something different to our existing options.

We clearly wanted him having been in talks since almost the start of the window so a big blow to see him go to a direct rival, despite the people on here who think £20m gets some kind of 1 in 2 striker from a top league.

• Like 1

Does feel like Moffi and Jackson were our top targets and we were outbid for both, plus outbid for wages on Ings.

SR are clearly willing to spend but not paying over the odds. Which obviously doesn’t suit the January market and our current desperate position! I suppose the Danjuma and even Mudryk situations show how difficult the window is to complete deals for wanted players.

I’m done with Che after last night latest 1v1 miss. He is not good enough to play as a lone striker in the PL. we simply must bring someone better in, even if just a loan, to have any hope.

• Like 1

Personally watching Armstrong and Adams, describing them as Strikers is ludicrous. Their finishing and composure in trying to score is just juvenile. Their timing is more like a five year old, just hands, knees and bumps a daisy, anything but a clean strike. Armstrong might put a shift in with a bit of enthusiasm but his finishing and anticipation is lacking. As for Che, as a footballer he lacks a football brain. His closing down is laughable always arriving five yards short after the ball is passed because he is not reading the game. He is always on his heels and hardly ever makes a run into the goal area anticipating a possible chance and stands watching, or just offside and doing nothing about it.. He is a liability, has no idea and is regularly squandering chances of a win. We can't afford to play him, just play him in the B team every match until he gets it and scores regularly or leaves.

• Like 2

https://theathletic.com/4102884/2023/01/25/southampton-and-bournemouths-and-the-battle-for-nicolas-jackson?source=user-shared-article

Pretty much as expected, we dallied and haggled and Bournemouth came and offered the cash needed.

Also says Ankersen spoke fsce to face with Antoine Semenyo last week...

Palace now linked:

Edited by Dusic

13 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

So why have SR pursued him and spent hours trying to sign him. Are they premature?

I think we were obviously interested if you believe Jacob Tanswell - to be fair he's pretty reliable.

We started off wanting a loan with an option which sounds sensible for a fairly raw player without much experience in top leagues let alone English football. It reads that Villareal wanted a permanent deal therefore we had a price point over which we didn't want to go.

I've posted similar but only time will tell if we were right to stick to our guns. Fwiw I would rather see us break the back for a centre forward as we create chances but lack a clinical edge. I don't see Jackson as that player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://theathletic.com/4102884/2023/01/25/southampton-and-bournemouths-and-the-battle-for-nicolas-jackson?source=user-shared-article

Pretty much as expected, we dallied and haggled and Bournemouth came and offered the cash needed.

Also says Ankersen spoke fsce to face with Antoine Semenyo last week...

So we basically hesitated over £3m and lost the guy we’ve been trying to sign all window to a relegation rival. Marvellous.

8 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Aribo can play up top and Perraud is a proper left back ....seems Jones does not rate either !

Tbh I can see where he’s coming from with Aribo, if he saunters through training like he does a game that isn’t fitting Jones style.

• Like 2

From what I've seen of Semenyo, ever since he was on loan at Newport, he is quite a sharp footballer and scores his share of goals. If we aren't going after Moffi then he could probably to a job we can't do at the moment. We could in the meantime do a lot worse than give each of our young B team strikers a half hour against Blackpool to see how they cope.

19 minutes ago, derry said:

Personally watching Armstrong and Adams, describing them as Strikers is ludicrous. Their finishing and composure in trying to score is just juvenile. Their timing is more like a five year old, just hands, knees and bumps a daisy, anything but a clean strike. Armstrong might put a shift in with a bit of enthusiasm but his finishing and anticipation is lacking. As for Che, as a footballer he lacks a football brain. His closing down is laughable always arriving five yards short after the ball is passed because he is not reading the game. He is always on his heels and hardly ever makes a run into the goal area anticipating a possible chance and stands watching, or just offside and doing nothing about it.. He is a liability, has no idea and is regularly squandering chances of a win. We can't afford to play him, just play him in the B team every match until he gets it and scores regularly or leaves.

If that was remotely true, Che wouldn’t miss as many chances as he does. He can clearly do most parts of the game except for finish (which is obviously important). 

it’s no coincidence that all of our good chances happened last night after Che and Arma came on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

If that was remotely true, Che wouldn’t miss as many chances as he does. He can clearly do most parts of the game except for finish (which is obviously important). 

it’s no coincidence that all of our good chances happened last night after Che and Arma came on.

Che has decent attributes as a striker but is a dreadful 1 on 1 finisher, incredibly bad.  He can't be the 1 up front as we need our furthest player forward to be able to finish those chances.  

• Like 1

I expected more from SR in this window, as the article says on Jackson. “Southampton are sleeping”.

Blind hope that we have some rabbits coming out of the hat in the next 6 days, losing belief though as top targets (reportedly) haven’t worked out, again!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

So we basically hesitated over £3m and lost the guy we’ve been trying to sign all window to a relegation rival. Marvellous.

Yeah its only £3m afterall , lol. He was a gamble, and watching Ursic last night who obviously is not ready can we afford to overpay for another like him.