January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

30 minutes ago, DT said:

Prefer Mara by miles. Hope he gets a go. Jones seems weirdly reticent about using him. And Lavia. ho hum

They are very young and susceptible to injuries. Lavia has just come back from one and needs to be nursed back. Isn't Tino a good example? Ralph played him too much when it was obvious he was starting to feel it

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ralph did too.

Perhaps he has been turd in training and taken a while to settle.

What I saw last night is exactly the player we need. He held it up well, showed decent strength and a great first touch under pressure, he won a fair few headers (more than Che does) but then showed some genuine skill on the ball to get out of tight space and even beating players and looking a real threat. I saw some pace too and he didn't just run with the ball, he did it off the ball. I also thought his work rate was decent and when he pressed, he sprinted to actually generate some pressure. Che also presses (he ran pretty hard between three defender at one point last night), but in general its at a plodding pace that has no impact on the ball handler.

The overhead kick was audacious, but shows he is confident. We need to embrace that. I'd start him right now. I've still got that finish against City in my mind. Is that the norm or the exception? If he finishes like that, then I really don't know why he hasn't replaced Che sooner. That said, we haven't see a lot of him, so don't really know what he can/can't do.

I agree but is he strong enough to do the holding up of the ball etc. It is a conundrum

24 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'd get Tella back and I'd seriously see if Burnley would take Edozie on Loan instead

I see some mad things on here but sending Edozie off on loan is really utter nonsense. You are rarely this mad, 

• Like 9

If we fail to get some sort of decent striker in for a second successive transfer window, then we are doomed. None of our choices, (AA, Adams, Mara) would get a game in any team in the PL other than ours and probably quite a few of the teams in The Championship. 

I like the look or Orsic and Alcatrez, Edozie, Lavia, Caleta-Car and ABK have been good signings. 

Aribo had been disappointing and Bazunu is at best still developing. 

Moving JWP forward is something I called for in tne summer so it is great to see Jones do that which does add to our potency. 

If we can get this Hujiman (or however its spelt) who appears to look a decent DCM and at least one striker we might have a small chance of surviving. 

A big 7 days for SR I would suggest to get support from tbe sider fanbase and give us hope we are going to improve under them. 

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I see some mad things on here but sending Edozie off on loan is really utter nonsense. You are rarely this mad, 

Quite.

Our starting team should be Mara up top, edozie and AA on the wings, and a midfield 3 of Alcaraz, Lavia, and JWP.

The only way i would change that, is if we're up against someone with enough pace to nullify AA, in which case we add more physicality or skill instead of playing him.

Still badly need CDM and a quality striker. We will go down without those. Absolute worst case, get Ballard/Dibling on the bench and give them some minutes late on to see if they can score. They're at least in form and scoring for the U18s / B-team!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, OldNick said:

They are very young and susceptible to injuries. Lavia has just come back from one and needs to be nursed back. Isn't Tino a good example? Ralph played him too much when it was obvious he was starting to feel it

I'd like to know where this has come from as the idea has been floated around on here for some time now.  At the Brighton game you could see it was a nasty one and we thought immediately that it looks like an ACL - from Tino's reaction and Shane rushing over etc.  That injury as far as I know is not caused by being over-played.

• Like 3

I don't get all this rotation and mollycoddling. Years ago before we had the staff and medical facilities together with training etc Saints won promotion from the third division playing on crappy, heavy pitches in physical games. In the team were Paine and Sydenham just out of the youth team. They played 52  games in a shorter season approx eight months and used I think 18 players plus three keepers. 7 played over 50 games including Paine and Sydenham, 2 played nearly 50, Mulgrew played 38. The other 8 players only accounted for about 25 appearances between them. 

If they could do that then why can't players play regularly without being rotated. I know all the arguments about the pace of play etc but five substitutes more than take up that challenge. 

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Quite.

Our starting team should be Mara up top, edozie and AA on the wings, and a midfield 3 of Alcaraz, Lavia, and JWP.

The only way i would change that, is if we're up against someone with enough pace to nullify AA, in which case we add more physicality or skill instead of playing him.

Agree with that top 6 100%. Barring any quality incomings we would be best to form the starting team around that. Baz in goal as I don't think he has been that bad. Started the season great and we forget how bad McCarthy has been the last 3 seasons. Defence can be picked from the rest. Salisu and ABK have been linked with big moves. Must be players there. KWP is quality and important player. I dont mind a CB like Lyanco as fullback. Enough teams are playing with that asymetric full back system - arsenal with white, newcastle with burn, city with Ake or Stones. I dont see why people are against it. Adds height at corners and can slip into different formations with 3 or 4 at the back. Modern teams dont need to be perfectly balanced on the left and right anymore.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, derry said:

I don't get all this rotation and mollycoddling. Years ago before we had the staff and medical facilities together with training etc Saints won promotion from the third division playing on crappy, heavy pitches in physical games. In the team were Paine and Sydenham just out of the youth team. They played 52  games in a shorter season approx eight months and used I think 18 players plus three keepers. 7 played over 50 games including Paine and Sydenham, 2 played nearly 50, Mulgrew played 38. The other 8 players only accounted for about 25 appearances between them. 

If they could do that then why can't players play regularly without being rotated. I know all the arguments about the pace of play etc but five substitutes more than take up that challenge. 

I'd like to see the stats comparing distance run then and now, think that's where the difference would be. Remember Alan Ball being at his most effective barely leaving the centre-circle and Channon stood on halfway with his hands on his hips as we defended.... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Channons Windmill said:

I'd like to see the stats comparing distance run then and now, think that's where the difference would be. Remember Alan Ball being at his most effective barely leaving the centre-circle and Channon stood on halfway with his hands on his hips as we defended.... 

Good times and good days those

27 minutes ago, derry said:

Dont forget smoking a packet of woodbines before during and after the game. Tobe fairyoucan bring it forward to the 80's where Liverpool won leagues, European cup etc with just a small squad

Ok lets get cracking on some positivity thinking, I reckon SR will get a good striker and maybe a DM and winger in the coming days.

Surprised no one knows if rasmus travels on PJ's getting BJ's or normal airlines as we could track him at least on PJ destinations and reverse engineer who he's speaking to.

• Like 2

I’ve got this picture in my mind of 4 or 5 Uni sport grads sat in a darkened room making bids on players a bit like E-Bay. See something of interest and knowing there’s a Buy It Now price, they still go in with a fucking ludicrous offer just in case the seller is desperate. Then when they get rejected they get a cob on and just move on to another player. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Total lack of belief. He shot too early .................although I think you can get a cream for that

Composure for me (probably linked to lack of belief). He was well away, he knew it and he lost his head with a poor first touch that drew him into the defender rather than away from him. That meant he had to shoot earlier than he would have and the rest is history. When all is said and done a half decent finisher would have converted that chance.

I like Adams but he’s bottom PL/top Championship level. Can’t knock the guy at all but if our ambitions are what SR say they are then he doesn’t quite cut it.

1 minute ago, tunit said:

The rich clubs have just completely ruined the market. The players we are going for wouldve been at tops 10m five years ago. I dont know how we can compete anymore

Simple answer is we can’t, but then nor can about 10 other teams in the league. That’s why we’re a development and sell ‘em on high club, but it’s a delicate balance which can end with relegation as in our case.

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

In the year since this article was written he was injured for a total of 90 days and missed 18 games.

Thanks for that.

So we're looking at 26 games played, 1 goal and 18 games missed through injury, brilliant stuff if you ask me.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’ve got this picture in my mind of 4 or 5 Uni sport grads sat in a darkened room making bids on players a bit like E-Bay. See something of interest and knowing there’s a Buy It Now price, they still go in with a fucking ludicrous offer just in case the seller is desperate. Then when they get rejected they get a cob on and just move on to another player. 🤣

I've got a similar picture, but mine is of a couple of prolific former posters on here, sitting in their bedroom at their mums house, at least 3 monitors, the walls adorned with Star Wars and Avatar merch, a few highly encrypted memory sticks stashed under the floorboards,  something like this... 

comic-book.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

So a bit Edozie then? Threat but no end product? 

yep. Pacey, skills, and lots of dribbling. Looks pretty two footed, a little lightweight, but much more in control of the football than Djenepo and Edozie. 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Everton want to sign Chelsea's Ziyech

#ZiyechWatch

That would be, in my opinion, a very tidy upgrade on a very average Gordon. Not sure why he has so many suitors. 

Everton reviewing their FFP Accountancy before making signings…

image.gif.0c924283f6a33df3a011b46c43b45917.gif

• Haha 8

26 minutes ago, tunit said:

The rich clubs have just completely ruined the market. The players we are going for wouldve been at tops 10m five years ago. I dont know how we can compete anymore

It all went wrong with the Neymar transfer.  Until that point, the fees were obviously ludicrous, but his transfer pushed the needle into outer space. I thought it was money well spent for PSG, because he was a rare talent and they had to pay a premium, but the problem was, every other fee seemed to go up by 50-100% in line with this new transfer fee ceiling. Transfer fees always rise, but this time it wasn't down to the usual, more money available in the Prem due to bigger TV deal, it was just a `fake' unsupported (financially) shift in prices. As a result, everyone in the Prem has spent far more than they can afford and for clubs without billionaire owners, these fees are not realistic. Because of the cliff like drop if you fall out of the Prem, there is little choice but to pay. Other nations are far more pragmatic and largely run within a suitable budget. They can buy cheap and sell dear and they know Prem mugs like us will have to come calling.  

• Like 3