January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

18 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

That would be hilarious (not in a good way) if PSV’s replacement for Gakpo was someone we wanted to sign because we didn’t get Gakpo. That’s a vicious triangle of being kicked in the teeth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manji said:

It was agreed. Plane on runway, another club ( I think it was Leeds ) came in late. Semmens was told to up the price. Leeds were also dawdling.

Ruud van Nisteroy then said to Gakpo he’d be better staying. I guess assuming his price would go up after the World Cup.

There was also shenanigans between Man United and Liverpool before he joined Liverpool.

when he finally joined Liverpool. He struggled because of the poor quality of the team at the time. God knows what he would make of Southampton or Leeds. 🫣

in hindsight maybe Semmens was right. Gakpo seems a right prima donna.

Never got the fuss over Gakpo, think I said that at the time… I think we done well to swerve that. Gonçalo Ramos on the other hand..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manji said:

It was agreed. Plane on runway, another club ( I think it was Leeds ) came in late. Semmens was told to up the price. Leeds were also dawdling.

Ruud van Nisteroy then said to Gakpo he’d be better staying. I guess assuming his price would go up after the World Cup.

There was also shenanigans between Man United and Liverpool before he joined Liverpool.

when he finally joined Liverpool. He struggled because of the poor quality of the team at the time. God knows what he would make of Southampton or Leeds. 🫣

in hindsight maybe Semmens was right. Gakpo seems a right prima donna.

Plane on the runway even though he was playing for PSV (and scoring a hattrick) the night the window closed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Assumed James Bree would be tall, given our focus on adding height and the fact we seem to be playing CB’s at full back to negate that issue. Turns out he’s only 5’8…

I had the exact same process of thought as well.

He's clearly playing the 3 centre backs cause we're a smaller team on the whole, so I assumed this was some 6'2 shithouse full-back but he's the same height as Perraud who he's frozen out for more height. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I had the exact same process of thought as well.

He's clearly playing the 3 centre backs cause we're a smaller team on the whole, so I assumed this was some 6'2 shithouse full-back but he's the same height as Perraud who he's frozen out for more height. 

Maybe he just doesn’t rate Perraud and Bree will allow a better crack at 3 CB’s with 2 wing backs. Albeit that would be a shame as the midfield trio and a front 3 feels like our best chance. 

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

Maybe he just doesn’t rate Perraud and Bree will allow a better crack at 3 CB’s with 2 wing backs. Albeit that would be a shame as the midfield trio and a front 3 feels like our best chance. 

If we play 5 at the back for the rest of the season, we’re definitely relegated. 

Need to get back to playing players in their best positions again. And we need 3 in midfield. 

• Like 8

Perraud’s nothing special, but he’s an average 6/10 player. Not too sure why he’s been frozen out. KWP hasn’t been much good on the left compared to last season and has looked a lot better on the right, which is helpful as he’s still our best ball carrier. Playing one of the centre-backs at full back has helped defensively, but limited us going forward. 

Perraud’s also one of the few with any aggression in the side, so you’d have thought he’d have been a Jones favourite like Lyanco.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Assumed James Bree would be tall, given our focus on adding height and the fact we seem to be playing CB’s at full back to negate that issue. Turns out he’s only 5’8…

Dont get this need to add height. Might be something that was a factor for NJ in the Championship but its not crucial in the PL. Apart from the land of the giants (Newcastle) we're like most other PL teams where we have 2 tall CBs and maybe 1 tallish midfielder/striker

Brighton are having a great season and when you look at their team, they're tall in those same areas but thats it. Lallana, Caicedo, Lamptey, Estupinan, Gross, Mitoma, MacAllister, March etc are less than 6 feet, some considerably so. Outside of the CBs, Palhinha and Mitrovic, Fulham are another smallish side with the likes of Reed, Willian, Pereira, Reid, Tete etc.

Just get better at defending set plays and play players in their natural position regardless of height

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we play 5 at the back. At least 3 defenders. 

IF. You wrote we need to “get back” to playing people in their best positions, which presumes that we weren’t at present. Sorry, I misunderstood, I should have realised it was just another vacuous dig at the manager. 

• Like 1

Bree seems like a low risk signing that makes sense given Livramento is surely not going to be up to speed quickly enough to throw into a relegation battle this season. If KWP gets injuted again we are screwed so seems sensible.

His numbers for chance creation are good (he takes the set plays for Luton), he knows what the manager wants and is experienced in English football which is quite rare for a Saints signing.

Seeing as he only has a few months on his contract he will be cheap and probably on sensible wages too whilst not expecting to play every week.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

IF. You wrote we need to “get back” to playing people in their best positions, which presumes that we weren’t at present. Sorry, I misunderstood, I should have realised it was just another vacuous dig at the manager. 

Well do you think KWP’s best position is LB, Lyanco a RB or RCB in a back 4? 

Do you think any of our centre backs apart from Lyanco are happy playing LB or RB in a back 3? Do you think Perraud and KWP’s best positions are RWB/LWB? 

Edited by Saint Garrett

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Bree seems like a low risk signing that makes sense given Livramento is surely not going to be up to speed quickly enough to throw into a relegation battle this season. If KWP gets injuted again we are screwed so seems sensible.

His numbers for chance creation are good (he takes the set plays for Luton), he knows what the manager wants and is experienced in English football which is quite rare for a Saints signing.

Seeing as he only has a few months on his contract he will be cheap and probably on sensible wages too whilst not expecting to play every week.

Let's hope he's not the modern day Lee Todd.

• Like 1

spacer.png

His percentile rating compared to the rest of the Championship fullbacks.

62% pass completion (the worst in the entire league) so I'm expecting lots of long balls to nobody has been a common theme of his career under NJ. His positive attacking stats are likely skewed from his set pieces, which he obviously wouldn't get here.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

So, a right back from Luton Town was our first target? You really have got to laugh at the pathetic shambolic club we have become

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

His percentile rating compared to the rest of the Championship fullbacks.

62% pass completion (the worst in the entire league) so I'm expecting lots of long balls to nobody has been a common theme of his career under NJ. His positive attacking stats are likely skewed from his set pieces, which he obviously wouldn't get here.

Reckon Rasmus is sitting quietly somewhere with a box of tissues, an abacus and these stats on a 4k monitor.

Loves a percentile, does RA.

5 minutes ago, Scoobysaint said:

We are going be left in the championship with a load of second rate signings that we can’t ship out to anybody. A 750k full back from the footballing Mecca of Luton will not keep us up. Not convinced we will get to 30 points under Jones.

No shit. We needed cover at RB for now and this gives us another option. Points and safety will depend on the striker and/or AM we will hopefully bring in before the deadline

• Like 1

It's a Martina/Pied signing. Nothing to get worked up about. If he ever becomes our first choice right-back after selling KWP/Livramento and doing the Saints thing of sticking with what we've got then we'll have a problem. Additionally, if this is our last signing of the window. 6 days left, not many rumours considering we did both the Orsic and Alcaraz deals in the public, but got to have some hope they aren't as inept as we all believe.

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

image.gif.52865bc43459c02af2b1fba15e2b104a.gif

• Haha 10

Sadly, this Club has become an absolute laughingstock.

Everybody knows, that we needed to buy a new quality striker to replace Danny Ings. Two years ago.

You could be forgiven for thinking that we actually already should have bought one to improve the side whilst Danny was still here, due to his propensity to pick up injuries and the fact that our back up option was Che "Mr. Sitter" Adams.

Everybody knows, that we passed the buck, and gambled on a loan, in the form of Broja. Fortunately that worked out reasonably well for us at the time. But it soon became clear that he would not be here for the long haul, and everybody knew, we needed to by a new quality striker of our own in that January Window.

Everybody knows, that we didn't.

Everybody knows, that we still needed one.

Everybody still knew last summer. 

The weeks came and passed, as many a young hungry whippersnapper was snapped up. Over Seventy fucking million shelled out. In every position bar the one that really mattered. But we do deals on our terms, and we won't be dicked about.

The Summer Window then closed. But everybody knows, that we still needed a clinical striker.

After another half a season of paying obscene prices to watch dismal shite, as Mr. Sitter kept on missing sitters.....

EVERYBODY KNEW that we were in such desperate need of a clinical finisher, that one should have been all lined up to ready to come through the door on the FIRST of January.

Today is the TWENTY FIFTH. And two long clusterfucking years later, EVERYBODY STILL FUCKING KNOWS that we are utterly fucked unless we sign a quality clinical striker.

Everybody apart from the utter fucking muppets running our beloved Club (into the ground).

It's OK though.  Everybody knows, we're completely relaxed about it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Sounds like Bree is happening, anyone know anything about him? One for the championship next season I’m guessing. 

Decent hard working player. Rarely injured, good temperament, good motor and can play across the backline but prefers right wingback. Very good on set plays.  Consistent championship player but not a world beater. Good squad player and value at £750,000 but won't stun the fans and could get shown up for pace in the premier league

10 minutes ago, hotsaint said:

Decent hard working player. Rarely injured, good temperament, good motor and can play across the backline but prefers right wingback. Very good on set plays.  Consistent championship player but not a world beater. Good squad player and value at £750,000 but won't stun the fans and could get shown up for pace in the premier league

I suppose it is occasionally useful to have Luton fans on here pretending to be Saints fans.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hotsaint said:

You have just got to be a club plant surely? Failing that Nathan Jones

• Like 2