January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

We're not getting a striker are we?

We're not staying up.

We're not coming back for many many years (if at all).

Joke of a club run by clowns. We could have set the ball rolling during the WC and got someone of quality in ready to start in January. Nah, too easy. These clowns probably just bite into a can of soup rather than use a can opener and then complain about dental bills...

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

And just so happened  to join the forum a few weeks ago. 

Take it or leave it, just telling you an opinion having seen him a few dozen times. Anyway, stick to your prejudices, you are good at them

Edited by hotsaint
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You have just got to be a club plant surely? Failing that Nathan Jones

30 minutes ago, hotsaint said:

Born in Southampton, lived in Luton 40 years

Screenshot_20230126-000853.png

That last 5 years flew by... Only seems like a few weeks ago.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

We're not getting a striker are we?

We're not staying up.

We're not coming back for many many years (if at all).

Joke of a club run by clowns. We could have set the ball rolling during the WC and got someone of quality in ready to start in January. Nah, too easy. These clowns probably just bite into a can of soup rather than use a can opener and then complain about dental bills...

I feel this may be a tad reactionary...😅🙃 Lets wait and see what the final week brings. I wouldn't write us off yet even without a striker. I reckon Mara and Alvaraz might be able to do the business if they get a run. Our core midfield 3 of Lavia, JWP, Alvaraz is solid. And frankly Edozi, AA, and Mara isn't that bad against the lesser sides. Ultimately if we can keep teams like Newcastle to one goal against, then with JWP on the field, Edozi (and our clear play for free kicks generally), then we've always got a chance... And at the end of the day, relegation scraps are strange things, especially ones with this many teams involved.

With a quality striker and CDM i'd be confident of staying up 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I feel this may be a tad reactionary...😅🙃 Lets wait and see what the final week brings. I wouldn't write us off yet even without a striker. I reckon Mara and Alvaraz might be able to do the business if they get a run. Our core midfield 3 of Labia, JWP, Alvaraz is solid. And frankly Edozi, AA, and Mara isn't horrific against the lesser sides. Ultimately if we can keep teams to one goal against then with JWP on the field, Edozi (and our clear play for free kicks generally), then  we've always got a chance... And at the end of the day, relegation scraps are strange things, especially ones with this many teams involved.

With a quality striker and CDM i'd be confident of staying up 🤷‍♂️

Err, considering Edozie, Mara and Armstrong have a grand total of one league goal between them this season, I'm not sure where your confidence in their ability to overcome lesser sides stems from.

Hoping that JWP will score enough free kicks to keep us up is a pretty startling display of optimism.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You can tell we're heading back to small-fry territory when we have club plants on here.

haha.  We are on the edge of the 'Saints go Wilde' days.

Soon Semmens will be posting on here, slating Rasmus and suggesting he is into weird thing in his own time!!!

2 minutes ago, egg said:

And is slow. And short. We need pace, power, height, and preferably some quality. Bree feels like a downgrade on what we've got. 

This guy is clearly cheap cover for the right back position in the short term. Not sure we need to be committing to a large chunk of cash plus wages until KWP goes. Better to replace him with in the summer when prices are more realistic and  the transaction  can be spread into a new financial year. Not really rocket science to be honest.

he is a downgrade on who? We have no cover at RB. 🙄

• Like 6

6 hours ago, hotsaint said:

Take it or leave it, just telling you an opinion having seen him a few dozen times. Anyway, stick to your prejudices, you are good at them

I've taken your opinion on the Luton player, thank you.

I won't take that you are a Saints fan because it is obvious you're not.

If that's a "prejudice" then congratulations you are the new Rosa Parks, you little hero you.

6 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

This guy is clearly cheap cover for the right back position in the short term. Not sure we need to be committing to a large chunk of cash plus wages until KWP goes. Better to replace him with in the summer when prices are more realistic and  the transaction  can be spread into a new financial year. Not really rocket science to be honest.

Apart from AMN who is decent there and got an England cap. AMN played there against Fulham did well then switched to left back did ok so we have cover.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

I can see us submitting a deal sheet on deadline day and the club announce:

Southampton FC is delighted to welcome experienced striker Cameron Jerome on a short deal from Luton Town.

Boss Jones added “They have been tracking him for years, since that wonder goal. With all due respect, I know what Cammy J can do, then fans don’t. God willing he stays fit”

or we announce Walcott on a new long term deal 😂😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

He can apparently play both sides. He's a downgrade on KWP and Perraud. Given that we need size and power, he's arguably a downgrade on Lyanco who at least offers that when he fills in at RB. Cover or not, if we have 2 x short full backs, and our current players, we have nobody other the centre backs giving height when defending set pieces. Feels another pointless one to me. 

Still don’t get the “Lyanco’s best position is…” argument; he’s crap as a full back and he’s crap as a CB. He will never be what we need. He’s just got a lot of penny up aggression and has won people over because he pounds his chest every so often. 😅

There are many others in the club that can bugger off as far as I’m concerned but he is probably one of the top ones.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

Saints have bid up to 25 million for 2 players. 

We have had 6 bids accepted now for targets then deals just haven’t materialised. 

It doesn’t help that Saints fans use twitter to moan about signing a striker as the club feel that it makes the prices go up. 

Thoughts are with Ankersen at this tough time 🙄😅

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

We have had 6 bids accepted now for targets then deals just haven’t materialised. 

It doesn’t help that Saints fans use twitter to moan about signing a striker as the club feel that it makes the prices go up. 

Says who?

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

We have had 6 bids accepted now for targets then deals just haven’t materialised

Any idea if it's a wages issue, our probable relegation, or something else that's making players not want to join us?

1 minute ago, egg said:

Any idea if it's a wages issue, our probable relegation, or something else that's making players not want to join us?

Well supposedly. One was agreed at £16m, then selling club wacked the price up after they realised how desperate we are for a striker. Guessing that might have been Jackson, but might have been someone else. 

Will share if I hear anything else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

He can apparently play both sides. He's a downgrade on KWP and Perraud. Given that we need size and power, he's arguably a downgrade on Lyanco who at least offers that when he fills in at RB. Cover or not, if we have 2 x short full backs, and our current players, we have nobody other the centre backs giving height when defending set pieces. Feels another pointless one to me. 

He is a RB who is cover for the RB. Cover is always going to be a downgrade on the first choice unless you are looking to replace the first choice RB. If you were looking to replace KWP it would cost us a bucket load of cash that is clearly needed elsewhere. If he can cover at LB then the same principles apply. 

Maybe he will be played at RWB if we play a back 3 and then the additional height isn’t specifically required as you will then have 3Cbs. 

either way it’s a really cheap option to provide “cover”. 

hate on the manager all you like but it least keep it as sensible criticism.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Honestly if anyone in any position of influence in the club believes this then no wonder we are bottom of the league.

It's a shame the fans moaning about us not buying a striker since the start of last summer has not resulted in us, you know, buying a striker.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well supposedly. One was agreed at £16m, then selling club wacked the price up after they realised how desperate we are for a striker. Guessing that might have been Jackson, but might have been someone else. 

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated 👍

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

I wonder if the two players we bid £25m for were this window or if that’s still Gakpo and Ramos? If it is this window then surely as that’s what Bompey paid for Jackson he’s one of them, with them just offering more wages?

Regarding the use of Twitter by fans to moan about signing a striker, majority of premier league teams will have been doing the same? We are bottom of the league with less than a goal per game. It’s obvious to someone without a Twitter account we are desperate for goals 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

hate on the manager all you like but it least keep it as sensible criticism.

Odd comment as I said nothing about the manager!

As for the rest, thanks for explaining that cover is cover, although I did have an inkling of what it was...the simple point that you've overlooked is that cover needs to be adequate, and I don't think this lad is. 

Went to bed hoping for a striker, or a pacey inside forward. Instead we get right back cover, and maybe a new Lew Chatterly. 

Completely underwhelmed, especially if this leads to him trying 3 at the back again ! 

Feels a bit like Xmas in the Undertones song  "What's with Terry ", " A Johnny 7 or a cuddly toy ?  no !  Horned rimmed glasses, fit for a boy! "

Edited by redkeith

47 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

## whisper ##

Please sign a clinical centre forward...

Pass it on.

Sssshhhhhhh

animation whispering GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Edited by trousers

39 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If only the selling club didn't look on twitter and see some saints fans stating we need a striker. 😟

3 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

If only the selling club didn't look on twitter and see some saints fans stating we need a striker. 😟

Of course, if we’d signed a striker for January 1st like we needed, they could have kept the Twitter noise down a touch …

I have heard some cr4p in my time but really???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently….

Pretty sure our league position and horrific form over the past 12 months inflates the prices not saints fans moaning on twitter 😂

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

By the time it reaches the recruitment team it would be "Trees find a critical fence to fall on".

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

## whisper ##

Please sign a clinical centre forward...

Pass it on.

Sssshhhhhhh

animation whispering GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Signing a clinical centre-forward ? ...... I've been saying that since Pelle left the club.

Our worst problem is that we'll never be able to afford more than 20 mill. for a player and still be able to pay his salary.

Perhaps  NOT  re-signing Danny Ings was a blessing in disguise, as he went off injured after 20 minutes in his WHam debut.

The 12 million fee may have been affordable for Saints, but not his current salary level.

59 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Honestly if anyone in any position of influence in the club believes this then no wonder we are bottom of the league.

It's a shame the fans moaning about us not buying a striker since the start of last summer has not resulted in us, you know, buying a striker.

It’s the Saints fans I blame for discussing the club on social media. 

We really need to buck up and implement the ‘code of silence’ agreement that all other clubs in the world have with their fans where they never talk about their team online, which in turn allows their clubs to sign players. 

It’s nothing to do with the people doing the recruitment, it’s all our fault and we deserve what we get. (Or don’t get, it would seem, with just a few days left of the window and still no fucking striker).

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6