Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

10 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Fair enough, but we had a VAR decision go against us which was 50/50 according to the radio commentary and we had a similar number of shots and shots on target as Newcastle.

It wasn't 50/50 sadly. The ball clearly hit his hand. The rules around an attacker handling the ball immediately before a goal have been pretty clear for a couple of seasons. I don't necessarily agree with it, but they are clear.  Also shows why shots and shots on target can be pretty meaningless stats. Newcastle had more clear cut chances. A wild bicycle kick from Mara 18 yards out is not the same quality of chance as Joelington blazing over from 4 yards. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

I don’t know why this ‘Jones plays 5 at the back’ and ‘long ball rubbish’ stuff is sticking around - last night we played 4 at the back all game, we played one defensive midfielder in Diallo, and we played a front three. The only time the ball went long was Lyanco sometimes trying an aerial ball when out of options. People can’t judge games on their own merit, every loss seems to result in people just replaying the Forest game in their head and thinking that’s what we’ve just watched. 

We had a clear strategy to hit long balls at Orsic and Djenepo in the first half. Jones bollocked Djenepo for having the temerity to show for a ball to feet rather than look to run on behind. The first half was turgid, uninspiring, boring crap and we were lucky not to go in behind.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

True. But the point remians both were chalked off for the same reason.

Exactly, it’s like saying “our goal was less offside”. Both were rightly ruled out, although with no VAR ours would probably have stood (as I thought the ref blew for theres).

Against top sides you need to ride your luck and then to miss chances. It happened with Ralph and it happened last night. If you contrast last night with the last semi final, it was miles away from that pathetic display. The other difference was down to 10 and shot, we hung on to 0-1 meaning the tie is still winnable (however unlikely). Personally, I reckon we’d have let 1 or 2 more in during the last few minutes under the previous manager. After all it happened time and time again. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Really, so someone who doesnt understand football can see that we look like a championship side, amazing. Im off the the hospital as I know all about brain surgery, well I saw a documentary on tv that I flicked in and out of , but Im sure I will get the hang of it.....oops nurse  can you send another in this has gone wrong

I know f**k all about cars but if it keeps breaking down then i know there's something wrong with it and it isnt going to keep up with my neighbours shiny new Mercedes

4 minutes ago, richardc said:

I know f**k all about cars but if it keeps breaking down then i know there's something wrong with it and it isnt going to keep up with my neighbours shiny new Mercedes

But your mate may be able to help as hes watched bangers and cash.

Only teasing 😃

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OldNick said:

He will make you eat your words CB, it is rare that you come out with a statement showing your beliefs and so it is a surprise. Im not saying NJ is going to take us to the CL but to put your flag in Ralphs camp is amazing. He is part of where we are as he was in charge for a year and got just a couple of wins. He was the one who couldn't/wouldn't make a sub and demoralised the squad. I didnt see much togetherness, and believe that Ings left because of him.

If NJ fails I will happily own up to being wrong, Im not sure you will admit it if he does prove you wrong.

Er, I am not putting "my flag in Ralph's camp" - I've said plenty of times that it was 100% the correct decision to let him go - it was clear he was going stale and running on empty - and the form of the calendar year 2022 meant that he really deserved to go.

The point is Jones was recruited to keep us up, bring in changes that improve performances and results. What he has done is make us worse. An absolute disaster of an appointment.

The correct comparison is Ralph coming in after Hughes and Pelligrino. He actually delivered what a new manager is supposed to - implement new ideas, start winning, steer us to safety. That's what we needed in November when the club made the change.

Jones has done the complete opposite. 

• Like 22

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Er, I am not putting "my flag in Ralph's camp" - I've said plenty of times that it was 100% the correct decision to let him go - it was clear he was going stale and running on empty - and the form of the calendar year 2022 meant that he really deserved to go.

The point is Jones was recruited to keep us up, bring in changes that improve performances and results. What he has done is make us worse. An absolute disaster of an appointment.

The correct comparison is Ralph coming in after Hughes and Pelligrino. He actually delivered what a new manager is supposed to - implement new ideas, start winning, steer us to safety. That's what we needed in November when the club made the change.

Jones has done the complete opposite. 

Ok, so you are in the Jones out camp. Shame really as usually you are more balanced. Again he may eat your words. You will win either way, as you can strut around in the 'told you so' outfit or if he does do turn it, you can have the pleasure of us surviving.

I am fully into Jones must be given a fair crack, and feel he may do so. Not 100% confident but prefer him to Dyche and BigSam type managers. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ok, so you are in the Jones out camp. Shame really as usually you are more balanced. Again he may eat your words. You will win either way, as you can strut around in the 'told you so' outfit or if he does do turn it, you can have the pleasure of us surviving.

I am fully into Jones must be given a fair crack, and feel he may do so. Not 100% confident but prefer him to Dyche and BigSam type managers. 

Except he is a Dyche and Big Sam type manager, just without any success in the Premier League. Meat and potatoes, lower level playing career, worked in Championship and lower to begin with etc.

What "type" of manager do you think he is?

If anything I am being massively unfair on Big Sam who was innovative in his day at Bolton and had a proven track record of getting into clubs and teams and building success.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Out of interest, what constitutes a fair crack?

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I can’t see how he will attract or tempt any player to join us. He has no real track record of developing kids and no experience at a high level. Admittedly, as Lampard and Gerard have shown, top level playing experience doesn’t always mean good management ability. I just feel that a footballer has maybe ten years of peak footballing time and would you want to waste two or three of them working for a manager and team that may well make you a worse player.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

If anything I am being massively unfair on Big Sam who was innovative in his day at Bolton and had a proven track record of getting into clubs and teams and building success.

This is the third club Jones has managed.

After managerial spells at Preston & Blackpool the innovator Fat Sam rocked up at Notts County , where he went the first 18 games without a win. They eventually got relegated to Div 3 that season.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

After managerial spells at Preston & Blackpool the innovator Fat Sam rocked up at Notts County , where he went the first 18 games without a win. They eventually got relegated to Div 3 that season.

Jones too may become a successful at a higher level. One day. Maybe. But we’re not in the position to give him that much time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Jesus wept. Its not bloody 1991 any more.

Is Jones getting us relegated is some masterplan now? He's going to take us down and then magic himself into Big Sam? 

And in this scenario Southampton Football Club - Premier League for a decade and in recent history top 8 multiple times - in this scenario we are now Notts County, a little club for a new unproven manager to learn the game?

The shit you're coming out with now just because you like Jones playing more "aggressively" and didn't like Ralph.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Scoobysaint said:

I can’t see how he will attract or tempt any player to join us. He has no real track record of developing kids and no experience at a high level. Admittedly, as Lampard and Gerard have shown, top level playing experience doesn’t always mean good management ability. I just feel that a footballer has maybe ten years of peak footballing time and would you want to waste two or three of them working for a manager and team that may well make you a worse player.

He has already improved Lyanco, and that takes some doing. JWP etc are delighted to be working for him and so I take encouragement from that.

Ralph/club couldn't tempt many, but Alcaraz has joined since NJ is here and so that cant be bad.

29 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Is Jones getting us relegated is some masterplan now? He's going to take us down and then magic himself into Big Sam? 

And in this scenario Southampton Football Club - Premier League for a decade and in recent history top 8 multiple times - in this scenario we are now Notts County, a little club for a new unproven manager to learn the game?

The shit you're coming out with now just because you like Jones playing more "aggressively" and didn't like Ralph.

To be fair he was showing Big Sams incredible record as not quite as wonderful as we all believe. 

Forget not it took the last day a for us to survive at least once in this time.

We all bleed red and white on here, and so surely, we are where we are and the sniping only hurts us. Give him some time to prove SR were right. You are not usually a bed wetter and so I truly am surprised you have taken this stance.

One thing for certain the Everton fans will back their new man and that could make the difference.

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

To be fair he was showing Big Sams incredible record as not quite as wonderful as we all believe. 

We all bleed red and white on here, and so surely, we are where we are and the sniping only hurts us. Give him some time to prove SR were right. You are not usually a bed wetter and so I truly am surprised you have taken this stance.

One thing for certain the Everton fans will back their new man and that could make the difference.

Like they backed Rafa?

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Like they backed Rafa?

They backed Lampard last season enough though he was rubbish, and did make a difference to the home atmosphere. Dont stand by the manager and have the fans give the hwole feel to our relegation fight negative. That is your choice but one thing for certain it wont help and we will get what we deserve

30 minutes ago, OldNick said:

That’s exactly what I was doing. He’s running Jones down for his record, yet praising Fat Sam despite him having a worse record a couple of years prior to his innovative spell at Bolton. It doesn’t matter  if it’s 1992,2023 or 1897, calling for a managers head after a handful of games is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He has already improved Lyanco, and that takes some doing. JWP etc are delighted to be working for him and so I take encouragement from that.

Ralph/club couldn't tempt many, but Alcaraz has joined since NJ is here and so that cant be bad.

Some weird logic going on there. Lyanco is still gash, Ralph probably worked that out, that's why he didn't play him most likely. Not doubting they possibly enjoy training etc under him, but that's not really a reason to keep with a manager, if results aren't improving.

How much does any manager get involved in transfers these days? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I take it your Everton line is a wind up - they've hounded out multiple managers - Martinez, Koeman, Silva, Benetiz - so have no track record of loyalty whatsoever. Trust me, if it Bielsa and Saints had appointed him them the Saints fanbase would be "backing their new man" as well. We didn't get Bielsa. We got some div from Luton.

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s exactly what I was doing. He’s running Jones down for his record, yet praising Fat Sam despite him having a worse record a couple of years prior to his innovative spell at Bolton. It doesn’t matter  if it’s 1992,2023 or 1897, calling for a managers head after a handful of games is ridiculous. 

I'm not "praising" Sam Allardyce at all - I am picking up on Nick's point that he likes Jones because he's not a Big Sam or Dyche "type", but that is exactly what he is. Just Big Sam but without any achievements. He's not some exciting new "type" of manager, we're charging about like a Championship team in a Cup tie. And losing and losing and losing and losing. He is not some genius ahead of his time - we're chucking it forward and playing high energy lower league football. Every coach in the league will work him out no bother.

From where I stand everything is pointing to him not achieving anything remotely on a level with Sam Allardyce. Ever. In fifteen years time when Jones has finished top ten in the Premier League with multiple different clubs then fill your boots you've proved me wrong.

You're the one comparing Southampton to 1991 Notts County - honestly god knows what point you are trying to make. We are not Notts County.

See you in 15 years when Nathan Jones wins innovative coach of the decade or soemthing.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 10

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

…..we're charging about like a Championship team in a Cup tie. And losing and losing and losing and losing…..

And this is what bother/worries me. High press yes but I’m not sure I’m seeing that what I am seeing or how it appears to me is a team that is running around a bit headless. Orsic was a case in point against Ncastle, he looked like he didn’t know what to do ( an experienced pro) so got stuck in no man’s land. I’m prepared to give him (esp) and NJ more time but tbh if it’s not a more measured and assured display against Blackpool (it bloody well should be) then I’m afraid he will need to go. Aggression is one thing blind aggression is another.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Rasmus prefers people who have come back from a failure. So, with results not mattering so much, imagine how much they will learn when we drop.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Some weird logic going on there. Lyanco is still gash, Ralph probably worked that out, that's why he didn't play him most likely. Not doubting they possibly enjoy training etc under him, but that's not really a reason to keep with a manager, if results aren't improving.

How much does any manager get involved in transfers these days? 

i think lyanco gets on because he can be both rash and aggressive and thats what weve needed, someone whos prepared to get stuck in but not be wreck-less towards letting the team down ,by making enormous errors that lead to goals and sendings off. But hes still bang average.

I'm still not fully sure what an "aggressive & front footed team" actually means.

NJ says it an awful lot. Bloke knows more about football than me granted, but to my untrained eye, it's a team that collects a fair amount of yellow cards and presses in a slightly uncoordinated way.

I will give him credit for making us seemingly harder to break down in open play however. Although, with games running out, aiming to "not lose" simply wont be enough. We will need to have a game plan to go out and win games. Baring the City game, I have yet to see us do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jones will be sacked after we’re relegated.

You can’t continue to back someone when they’ve had two thirds of a season to rebuild and change things, and still go down.

Even though relegation will be entirely the boards fault for not getting a striker?

Im not a Jones fan, but it’s this single thing that will get us relegated, cost Ralph his job, will probably cost Jones his job and will cost the jobs of a lot of staff we’ll have to lay off to cut costs for the championship.

Ralph and Jones will still be loaded with their pay-offs but I imagine many others won’t. Either way it’s pretty galling that the people responsible will keep their jobs, no doubt, while a lot of others suffer.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I'm still not fully sure what an "aggressive & front footed team" actually means.

NJ says it an awful lot. Bloke knows more about football than me granted, but to my untrained eye, it's a team that collects a fair amount of yellow cards and presses in a slightly uncoordinated way.

I will give him credit for making us seemingly harder to break down in open play however. Although, with games running out, aiming to "not lose" simply wont be enough. We will need to have a game plan to go out and win games. Baring the City game, I have yet to see us do that.

What about Everton and Palace ? Front footed and aggressive for me means that we get forward a lot lot quicker than we did with Ralph at the end of his tenure. 

aggressive means we might lose but teams won’t bully us off the ball as much. ( no more 9 nils ) 

has to start somewhere. So it looks like from the back. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I take it your Everton line is a wind up - they've hounded out multiple managers - Martinez, Koeman, Silva, Benetiz - so have no track record of loyalty whatsoever. Trust me, if it Bielsa and Saints had appointed him them the Saints fanbase would be "backing their new man" as well. We didn't get Bielsa. We got some div from Luton.

I'm not "praising" Sam Allardyce at all - I am picking up on Nick's point that he likes Jones because he's not a Big Sam or Dyche "type", but that is exactly what he is. Just Big Sam but without any achievements. He's not some exciting new "type" of manager, we're charging about like a Championship team in a Cup tie. And losing and losing and losing and losing. He is not some genius ahead of his time - we're chucking it forward and playing high energy lower league football. Every coach in the league will work him out no bother.

From where I stand everything is pointing to him not achieving anything remotely on a level with Sam Allardyce. Ever. In fifteen years time when Jones has finished top ten in the Premier League with multiple different clubs then fill your boots you've proved me wrong.

You're the one comparing Southampton to 1991 Notts County - honestly god knows what point you are trying to make. We are not Notts County.

See you in 15 years when Nathan Jones wins innovative coach of the decade or soemthing.

I was not winding yo up, but if Everton get a manager in they wont bin him immediately (bar Rafa of course, that was madness)

Giving him 15 years is hardly fair beforeyou give him any credit, how about the rest of the season, and if he keeps us up then perhaps say he did a good job.

I also dont believe he will win much or take us to major heights, but being a tough team to beat and other clubs not liking playing will suit me. Im tired of being soft Southampton who are so welcoming that you can come along, have a wonderful away fan experience and take away 3 easy points. 

F@@@ them, lets play hard and fair.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

What about Everton and Palace ? Front footed and aggressive for me means that we get forward a lot lot quicker than we did with Ralph at the end of his tenure. 

aggressive means we might lose but teams won’t bully us off the ball as much. ( no more 9 nils ) 

has to start somewhere. So it looks like from the back. 

I can give the second half against Everton to you, but not the Palace game. We got lucky in that game (which is great btw)

"Aggressive means we might lose" - Not sure on that. Whilst we may not be physically bullied (although I am not sure we were being) in the games I have watched, teams are bullying us with their control of the ball. Villa did it, so did Newcastle so did Brighton. Thats how teams mostly play these days to my mind.

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I haven't warned to Jones, I'm not confident at all that it's going to work out with him here. Despite all that the club have shafted him by not getting in a striker. If we don't get someone adequate in then I will feel a bit sorry for him because he doesn't deserve that. 

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him, I can see his stock and profile rising even if we do get relegated. That’s on the proviso we don’t go down with a whimper, I can’t see him allowing that. 
He will earn a life changing amount of money while he is here, however long that may be. If we do survive his stock will be even higher.

it’s the opportunity of a lifetime for him, it’s a win or bigger win position. 

Edited by Toussaint

51 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Great appointment. We should’ve gone for him as he has more Premier League experience

It is a good appointment for them, but I am still not sure it would have been a good one for us. His PL experience has always been with seasoned pros which should suit Everton more. I don't know how he would have got on at the youngest squad in the league with a very different squad of strengths and weaknesses compared to what he has worked with before. We need more of a Potter or a Poch I feel, a team that can turn the ball over in the oppositions half, rather than sitting back and hitting the channels. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I also dont believe he will win much or take us to major heights, but being a tough team to beat and other clubs not liking playing will suit me. Im tired of being soft Southampton who are so welcoming that you can come along, have a wonderful away fan experience and take away 3 easy points. 

F@@@ them, lets play hard and fair.

For someone whose opening opinion to me was "I prefer Nathan Jones to a Big Sam/Sean Dyche style manager" you are doing an incredibly good job of perfectly describing the attributes of a team managed by a "big Sam/Sean Dyche style manager".

I think you need to admit that you like Nathan Jones precisely because he is a Big Sam/Dyche style manager and you and Duckhunter performing acrobatics to pretend that he isn't really is quite laughable.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

For someone whose opening opinion to me was "I prefer Nathan Jones to a Big Sam/Sean Dyche style manager" you are doing an incredibly good job of perfectly describing the attributes of a team managed by a "big Sam/Sean Dyche style manager".

I think you need to admit that you like Nathan Jones precisely because he is a Big Sam/Dyche style manager and you and Duckhunter performing acrobatics to pretend that he isn't really is quite laughable.

Cb you always have to try and be condescending, it is a poor personality defect. When you are civil you are a very good contributor. Iam not so wound up about not having a 'big name' manager that blinds me to the fact that NJ may be the manager that suits us. I dont see him as a long ball merchant, and setting up a team to be nasty/tough/aggressive does not mean he is trying emulate the managers you mention. None of us would have expected Howe to mange a team that didnt let in goals, but he has shored up their defence and added the nasty and dark arts to his team. That is how I see NJ doing for us. No Iam not comparing him to Howe or in fact any other manager, he is NJ and he will either rise or fall on his way. Having a fanbase who are hopeful he will fail just to prove their point 'they were right' is sad .

28 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him, I can see his stock and profile rising even if we do get relegated. That’s on the proviso we don’t go down with a whimper, I can’t see him allowing that. 
He will earn a life changing amount of money while he is here, however long that may be. If we do survive his stock will be even higher.

it’s the opportunity of a lifetime for him, it’s a win or bigger win position. 

I can't see how his stock will rise if we get relegated. He could probably get himself another championship job. 

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Cb you always have to try and be condescending, it is a poor personality defect. When you are civil you are a very good contributor. Iam not so wound up about not having a 'big name' manager that blinds me to the fact that NJ may be the manager that suits us. I dont see him as a long ball merchant, and setting up a team to be nasty/tough/aggressive does not mean he is trying emulate the managers you mention. None of us would have expected Howe to mange a team that didnt let in goals, but he has shored up their defence and added the nasty and dark arts to his team. That is how I see NJ doing for us. No Iam not comparing him to Howe or in fact any other manager, he is NJ and he will either rise or fall on his way. Having a fanbase who are hopeful he will fail just to prove their point 'they were right' is sad .

I haven't really seen any evidence thus far that Jones is a manager who suits us. 

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

But don't you find it telling that out of all the clubs to dispense with a manager in the PL this season, we are the only club to have recruited a new manager from the Championship? 

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
spelling

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But don't you find it telling that out of all the clubs to dispense with a manager in the PL, we are the only club to have recruited a new manager from the Championship? 

Such a Dell-sized mentality.  Rasmus told us we recruited the best manager from Europe's 6th biggest league!

🙃

Edited by AlexLaw76

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!