Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, maysie said:

I’m probably in the minority here but I do think he has made us a nastier team to play against. I’m not in the place now where one goal against results in a capitulation.

I’m with you all the way. He’s made us more aggressive, and nastier to play against. It takes a long time to turn round the soft as shite attitude that has infected the club the past few years, but he’s made a decent start on that score. Being aggressive and nasty doesn’t mean long ball. I honestly don’t know where this long ball pony comes from, we’re far from a long ball side.  

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m with you all the way. He’s made us more aggressive, and nastier to play against. It takes a long time to turn round the soft as shite attitude that has infected the club the past few years, but he’s made a decent start on that score. Being aggressive and nasty doesn’t mean long ball. I honestly don’t know where this long ball pony comes from, we’re far from a long ball side.  

Exactly this

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We are still shit

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Appy said:

We are absolute shit, the worst thing I think about Jones is he thinks we’re playing well and a good side, it’s delusional. 

Exactly that. I hate that he thinks that because I worry it distracts him from the reality.

I just don't see the urgency from him with regards to our situation.

Points. Is. What. We. Need.

No matter how we get them, we HAVE to get them.

Edited by Cascadia Saint
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Appy said:

We are absolute shit, the worst thing I think about Jones is he thinks we’re playing well and a good side, it’s delusional. 

What’s he supposed to say, “we’re shit”. You’d be the first to start moaning if he throw the players under a bus like Redknapp did. You’re the one who is delusional if you think telling interviewers how poor we are will get the best out of the players. 

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Aggressive doesn't necessarily equal great. My neutral mate who watched both today and on Saturday said we play like a Championship team. We give away far too many stupid fouls, a number of which have cost us.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Aggressive doesn't necessarily equal great. My neutral mate who watched both today and on Saturday said we play like a Championship team. We give away far too many stupid fouls, a number of which have cost us.

Nah mate, you don't get it. Stats are useless, including things like shots, chances created, goals, points, and number of players you have left on the pitch. The only thing that matters is you got in their face and left some bruises. That's the real winners!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dman said:

At this point, I think Jones should just do it the way he wants to. 

He clearly wants to play a back 5 and play long balls from back to front. 

Give him some money to buy a big fucker up top that suits his brexit style of football and some old school, no nonsense CB’s. 

Fuck why the fans say, fuck what the current players say, we’re going down anyway so you may as well do it your way and give us the best chance of staying up. 

He’s definitely added more agression to our game, but we still make mistakes/switch off at the back (just general dip shit players tbh) and have absolutely no style or way of breaking teams down. 

He’s a disgustingly average manager managing a group of disgustingly average players. 

Is he the man to bring us back? I don’t personally think so, but we’re stuck with him now, so may as well had back him. 

Playing a back five is the problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

And we've lost 5 out of 6 league games and we're stone bottom. We've only beaten the side that everyone is beating so even that will be pretty worthless.

Dogshit against Forest, and Villa and elsewhere.

You might not like it but Ralph's son-in-law team would beat Nathan's Ale-House aggressive real men 8 times out of ten. Hasenhuttl took a team into the CL and then kept us up on no money for years. Another top flight job will be his if he wants it.

This Yeovil bloke is never getting a Premier League job again.

• Like 10

So I get the cb at full back - Jones is right, if you are going to be more aggressive, you’ll give more free kicks away so you need height. Plus Arsenal and City regularly play cbs at full back so we know it can work. Ironically though we’ve still conceded a load from set pieces. As an aside buying so many small players is another scouting issue.

What struck me was his post match. He talked about silly mistakes at the back and needed more quality up top - does that sound familiar ?. Maybe it wasn’t Ralf that was the issue, Jones has not improved us at all - his style is slightly different, but we are still on the wrong side of narrow defeats. As I think deep down we all knew, it’s a player quality issue in key areas, and whilst I do get that finding a centre forward is very difficult, why is it we have about 10 wingers who are all sub-standard ?. Let’s hope Osric just had a bad game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

And we've lost 5 out of 6 league games and we're stone bottom. We've only beaten the side that everyone is beating so even that will be pretty worthless.

You might not like it but Ralph's son-in-law team would beat Nathan's Ale-House aggressive real men 8 times out of ten. Hasenhuttl took a team into the CL and then kept us up on no money for years. Another top flight job will be his if he wants it.

Funnily enough, the only time opposition players have said we were horrible to play against was under Ralph.  Premier League quality opposition are not gonna be scared seeing Lyanco running around like a lunatic and leaving masses of space behind him. They may get clobbered by the odd one, but they know they will get chances and will score goals. However they are gonna be scared of a well coached, highly energetic side that presses them and squeezes every inch and absolutely exhausts them.

I would absolutely love to be wrong about Jones. I will stand here and yell from the rooftops I was wrong if he steers us to safety. But I am worried that my fears have become reality. That those that were hounding Ralph were so focused on getting him out of the club that they didn't think about what happens next. We weren't linked with managers of the calibre of Emery or Lopetegui. If we were, absolutely get rid of Ralph for a quality manager. But we weren't. In fact some fans were sincerely suggesting Big Sam, a guy who has managed one club in 5 years and got relegated with them!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Spot on. If this board wanted a credible in your face manager to instil aggression, sharpness and consistency they could have perhaps have gone for the likes of Biesla. I can imagine that that appointment with the luxury of the WC ‘preseason’ and we’d have come out with a genuine sharpness and system, plus likely now north of the bottom three.  There are good prospects and bright sparks in this squad but Nat is unlikely to fire them up over remaining games. As things are we are consistently losing games by odd goals and blunt in terms of being able to respond in meaningful possession and attack - Keystone cops all over the park. This feels just like 2004/2005 all over again to me, albeit with different kind of square peg in the hot seat.  We go down, Jones is gone, likely with the undynamic duo who appointed him. Probably a player exodus of saleable assets and Solak looking to bale out whatever the shills say. Saints as the new Sunderland! Tripe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

He will make you eat your words CB, it is rare that you come out with a statement showing your beliefs and so it is a surprise. Im not saying NJ is going to take us to the CL but to put your flag in Ralphs camp is amazing. He is part of where we are as he was in charge for a year and got just a couple of wins. He was the one who couldn't/wouldn't make a sub and demoralised the squad. I didnt see much togetherness, and believe that Ings left because of him.

If NJ fails I will happily own up to being wrong, Im not sure you will admit it if he does prove you wrong.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Appy said:

Im sorry you are so ingrained in your dislike you are blind to how things are slowly improving.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 22/01/2023 at 12:16, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bottom of the league playing five at the back is not going to keep you up. 😅

I don’t care for good performances, I’d rather have a crap performance with a scrappy win than playing “nice” football.

Jones will be sacked when we get relegated. He would’ve had the majority of the season to implement his style of play, tactics, a mid season break to get his ideas across, plus a transfer window. 
It’s very hard to keep your job after being the main part of a shit show over seven months or so. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dyche played that way for years, BigSam played defensive 

On 21/01/2023 at 20:08, bpsaint said:

Indeed. We were well in with a shout of staying up if we had made the right appointment instead of jones, one that actually gave us a bounce, someone who quite clearly wasn’t so incredibly out of his depth.

Ive resigned myself to the sad reality that we’re stuck with him until it’s too late. In fact I fully expect him to be in charge next season before finally getting the sack after 10 games when a promotion charge is already well out of reach.

BP im surprised you have this opinion.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Your neutral mate might have no idea about football, so why use him as a yardstick.

it’s clearly player quality over managerial mistakes why we’re losing.

I think we’re improving, slowly, but we are. Jones has made us more aggressive, we desperately needed that. We weren’t even competitive in the last few games under Ralph, we are now, we looked dangerous at times last night but we just are so blunt up top, we all know we need 1 or 2 clinical players to put the ball in the net. Che should have scored, Armstrong forced a great save out of Pope, Alcaraz forced a great save, finer margins last night than when we got played off the park in Ralph’s last game 1-4. 

Jones is also utilising the squad more, changes at 60 mins regularly is the correct move for a young squad when we’ve games twice a week.

Managers can’t legislate for Diallo misplacing 10 passes a game, poor defence clearances consistently by our CBs, Bazunu making poor choices. Djenepo being tactically unaware. Most importantly strikers missing 1 on 1 opportunities, He can only use what he’s got. We created enough to get something from the game, the effort was there, we competed. It’s become a sound bite of Jones “we need a little bit more quality” but he’s right. 

We’ve a busy run so we have to utilise all the squad at the moment, but when we hit the run in and play once a week, Jones can have a settled 11 and I think we’ll start picking up results.

Edited by Dan Johnson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He will make you eat your words CB, it is rare that you come out with a statement showing your beliefs and so it is a surprise. Im not saying NJ is going to take us to the CL but to put your flag in Ralphs camp is amazing. He is part of where we are as he was in charge for a year and got just a couple of wins. He was the one who couldn't/wouldn't make a sub and demoralised the squad. I didnt see much togetherness, and believe that Ings left because of him.

If NJ fails I will happily own up to being wrong, Im not sure you will admit it if he does prove you wrong.

I don't really see how you think there was not much togetherness under Ralph, but it is now? In the 4 league games before Ralph was dismissed we fought bloody hard to get a point against runaway leaders Arsenal, and the lads put everything out there to beat Bournemouth. I'm not convinced we were any better last night than we were in the 4-1  loss that was Ralph's last game. We actually had much better chances in that game than last night but our usual striker issues was the problem.

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Funnily enough, the only time opposition players have said we were horrible to play against was under Ralph.  Premier League quality opposition are not gonna be scared seeing Lyanco running around like a lunatic and leaving masses of space behind him. They may get clobbered by the odd one, but they know they will get chances and will score goals. However they are gonna be scared of a well coached, highly energetic side that presses them and squeezes every inch and absolutely exhausts them.

I would absolutely love to be wrong about Jones. I will stand here and yell from the rooftops I was wrong if he steers us to safety. But I am worried that my fears have become reality. That those that were hounding Ralph were so focused on getting him out of the club that they didn't think about what happens next. We weren't linked with managers of the calibre of Emery or Lopetegui. If we were, absolutely get rid of Ralph for a quality manager. But we weren't. In fact some fans were sincerely suggesting Big Sam, a guy who has managed one club in 5 years and got relegated with them!

We weren't linked with any other managers because Rasmus Ankersen had wanted NJ for a while. I believe they tried to get him in in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Johnson said:

This is a pointless thread, it’s clearly player quality over managerial mistakes why we’re losing.

I think we’re improving, slowly, but we are. Jones has made us more aggressive, we desperately needed that. We weren’t even competitive in the last few games under Ralph, we are now, we looked dangerous at times last night but we just are so blunt up top, we all know we need 1 or 2 clinical players to put the ball in the net. Che should have scored, Armstrong forced a great save out of Pope, finer margins last night than when we got played off the park in Ralph’s last game 1-4. 

Jones is also utilising the squad more, changes at 60 mins regularly is the correct move for a young squad when we’ve games twice a week.

Managers can’t legislate for Diallo misplacing 10 passes a game, poor defence clearances consistently by our CBs, Bazunu making poor choices. Djenepo being tactically unaware. He can only use what he’s got.

We’ve a busy run so we have to utilise all the squad at the moment, but when we hit the run in and play once a week, Jones can have a settled 11 and I think we’ll start picking up results.

Alcaraz shot was superb, as was he, he slid that ball through for Adams for his one on one. It is something we have been missing, same old problem though our forwards cant put the ball away.

I couldnt sleep last night as I get so wound up, Im sure Adams does as he must play it around his head 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64296717

Ankersen admitted Jones was "never going to be an appointment for great PR" but his record as manager of the year in the Championship last season - "Europe's sixth-biggest league", the co-owner insists - suggested he could be successful at a higher level.

"He ticked boxes for us," said Ankersen. "We needed a manager who believed in what we believed in. We knew the issues - squad togetherness, set plays, keeping clean sheets and being harder to beat.

"He has a track record of fixing these."

So Ankersen has set out the criteria that they will judge NJ by, has he improved those areas yet?

Edited by Fan The Flames

1 minute ago, richardc said:

because you don't need to have any idea about football to see we are playing like a championship side 

Really, so someone who doesnt understand football can see that we look like a championship side, amazing. Im off the the hospital as I know all about brain surgery, well I saw a documentary on tv that I flicked in and out of , but Im sure I will get the hang of it.....oops nurse  can you send another in this has gone wrong

After the last few games I truly believe we are a half clinical striker away from being back to a mid table side. Just an Ings or Gabbi away. Our midfield looks good with Lavia, JWP and Charly. Whatever people think, our defence has been sured up somewhat (just need to get better at defending set pieces). SR have 6 days to get a 15 goals per season man through the door. Spend the 30m they demand nowadays to give us a chance because as much as I like him Che has cost us so many points this season and Mara is still very raw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tunit said:

After the last few games I truly believe we are a half clinical striker away from being back to a mid table side. Just an Ings or Gabbi away. Our midfield looks good with Lavia, JWP and Charly. Whatever people think, our defence has been sured up somewhat (just need to get better at defending set pieces). SR have 6 days to get a 15 goals per season man through the door. Spend the 30m they demand nowadays to give us a chance because as much as I like him Che has cost us so many points this season and Mara is still very raw.

We've been a half clinical striker away all season. Ralph would probably still be here if we'd got one in the summer. Unfortunately, we miss so many chances, and end up losing 1-0, it's been the story of our season.

I saw this thread last night on twitter, and it highlights why we are where we are unfortunately. And pretty sure he's missing one against West Ham and one against Forest too.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We are still shit

We really aren't, we've lost the last couple of games by very fine margins against an in form Newcastle and Aston Villa.All it highlight is that with a decent striker that we've needed since Ings went we would'nt be in the bottom half of the table.

• Like 1

i must admit we do seem stronger in defence. There were some blocks and tackles last night where I was thinking to myself "4 moths ago that would have been a dead cert goal". Yeah they are still making errors, leaving the Villa guy with a free header etc, but it does seem its happening less often now, so there's improvement.

My problem with Jones is his inability to see we are NOT a threat in the penalty box and that somehow Adams in particular ad Armstrong are gonna dig us out of this mess. Based on last night I would be giving Mara more of a go but he's only a kid so he's gonna be inconsistent too.  

4 minutes ago, swannymere said:

We really aren't, we've lost the last couple of games by very fine margins against an in form Newcastle and Aston Villa.All it highlight is that with a decent striker that we've needed since Ings went we would'nt be in the bottom half of the table.

Newcastle missed two absolute sitters and had a pretty dodgy VAR decision go against them.

The score line could very easily have been 5 or 6 nil.

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Newcastle missed two absolute sitters and had a pretty dodgy VAR decision go against them.

Likewise Adams missed a couple of good chances. Don't get me wrong, they deserved the win but to say it could have easily been 6 nil is a load of crap. 

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Likewise Adams missed a couple of good chances. Don't get me wrong, they deserved the win but to say it could have easily been 6 nil is a load of crap. 

Sorry, you can't use "Adams missed a couple of good chances" as an excuse.

Adams always misses a couple of good chances, it's basically his M.O.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sorry, you can't use "Adams missed a couple of good chances" as an excuse.

Adams always misses a couple of good chances, it's basically his M.O.

And if he continues to play the role of lead striker there's going to be a whole lot more before the season is finished.

• Like 1

I don’t know why this ‘Jones plays 5 at the back’ and ‘long ball rubbish’ stuff is sticking around - last night we played 4 at the back all game, we played one defensive midfielder in Diallo, and we played a front three. The only time the ball went long was Lyanco sometimes trying an aerial ball when out of options. People can’t judge games on their own merit, every loss seems to result in people just replaying the Forest game in their head and thinking that’s what we’ve just watched. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I don’t know why this ‘Jones plays 5 at the back’ and ‘long ball rubbish’ stuff is sticking around - last night we played 4 at the back all game, we played one defensive midfielder in Diallo, and we played a front three. The only time the ball went long was Lyanco sometimes trying an aerial ball when out of options. People can’t judge games on their own merit, every loss seems to result in people just replaying the Forest game in their head and thinking that’s what we’ve just watched. 

To be fair I haven't seen many moaning about last night being too long ball.

47 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64296717

Ankersen admitted Jones was "never going to be an appointment for great PR" but his record as manager of the year in the Championship last season - "Europe's sixth-biggest league", the co-owner insists - suggested he could be successful at a higher level.

"He ticked boxes for us," said Ankersen. "We needed a manager who believed in what we believed in. We knew the issues - squad togetherness, set plays, keeping clean sheets and being harder to beat.

"He has a track record of fixing these."

So Ankersen has set out the criteria that they will judge NJ by, has he improved those areas yet?

That sounds like an obituary rather than a wishlist to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Fair enough, but we had a VAR decision go against us which was 50/50 according to the radio commentary and we had a similar number of shots and shots on target as Newcastle.

1 minute ago, swannymere said:

Fair enough, but we had a VAR decision go against us which was 50/50 according to the radio commentary and we had a similar number of shots and shots on target as Newcastle.

Sadly, our VAR was more obvious than theirs.

We may have had shots on target, but you can't count Che's as he only ever hits the keeper so by default that counts as 'on target'.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!