Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

It is interesting, because that is the impression that I got as well, but that isn't translating into defensive outcomes where it really matters - in the PL. Comparing Jones' 5 full PL results with Ralph's last 5 (omitting the Liverpool game as Ralph had gone, and Jones was really only nominally in charge):

Jones P5, W1, D0, L4, F4, A8, Pts 3

Ralph P5, W1, D2, L2, F5, A6, Pts 5

When you consider that we shipped 4 (against Newcastle) in Ralph's last match in charge, we had only conceded 2 goals in his previous 4 games. Looking at the season as a whole though, Ralph conceded just over 1.7 goals per game, while Jones is currently at 1.6 goals per game (again ignoring the Liverpool fixture). So in summary, there is no improvement in defensive outcome compared to the immediate form before Ralph's sacking, but a marginal improvement compared to Ralph over the season so far. The goals for column doesn't look any better either. Under Ralph we scored 12 in 14 (about 0.86 goals per game) and 4 in 5 under Jones (0.8 goals per game) - again excluding the Liverpool result. Even worse is the overall performance. Ralph accumulated 12 points in 14 games (about 0.86 per game) Jones has 3 in 5 (0.6 per game).

I know these are very basic stats but they further serve to reinforce the blindingly obvious need to improve at both ends of the pitch. Jones has tinkered with all sorts of different formations, which I don't necessarily have a problem with as Ralph was regularly criticised for not having a 'Plan B' or not being proactive in games, but he has used the same set of players and hasn't made any tangible progress. As others have said, it seems crazy that we have brought in 2 new players and have barely used them. Unless fitness is an issue, it is difficult to see why Jones isn't making use of them, especially with the credentials Orsic has.

That's interesting and something I hadn't picked up on. Especially given he didn't have lavia fit for those games. I do think that Ralph would have kept us clear with a good attacker and cdm cover in the summer especially. But equally, I don't think Jones has failed yet - we do stay in games and it comes back to the same fundamental issue in that we are lacking quality at the business end of the pitch. 

20 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Making three subs at once is basically saying you got the line up and formation wrong from the start of the game. It also smacks of desperation.

No, Lavia came off because he still can't play 90 unfortunately. Jones could see that we were hurting them down the wing because they were flooding the midfield so we went to a back 3 and pushed the fullbacks up. It does not mean that we got it wrong from the start because games change, and why would it be a desperate situation at 0-0 against a team in very good form?

• Like 1

Bottom of the league playing five at the back is not going to keep you up. 😅

I don’t care for good performances, I’d rather have a crap performance with a scrappy win than playing “nice” football.

Jones will be sacked when we get relegated. He would’ve had the majority of the season to implement his style of play, tactics, a mid season break to get his ideas across, plus a transfer window. 
It’s very hard to keep your job after being the main part of a shit show over seven months or so. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bottom of the league playing five at the back is not going to keep you up. 😅

I don’t care for good performances, I’d rather have a crap performance with a scrappy win than playing “nice” football.

Jones will be sacked when we get relegated. He would’ve had the majority of the season to implement his style of play, tactics, a mid season break to get his ideas across, plus a transfer window. 
It’s very hard to keep your job after being the main part of a shit show over seven months or so. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ralph begs to differ.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's what I mean, he's a left winger. He needs to play there, that's where he played 90% of the time for Zagreb and where he played 100% of the time for Croatia. On the left, cutting in and shooting at goal. Jones has good tools there, but the question is does he actually know how to use an international level player.

Exactly. If you watch Orsic he likes to play on the left, cut in and shoot right footed. That's his strength so why play him on the wrong side. None of this is rocket science.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tunit said:

No, Lavia came off because he still can't play 90 unfortunately. Jones could see that we were hurting them down the wing because they were flooding the midfield so we went to a back 3 and pushed the fullbacks up. It does not mean that we got it wrong from the start because games change, and why would it be a desperate situation at 0-0 against a team in very good form?

I agree games change, just not a huge fan of making three subs at once. In my opinion it creates a bit of confusion with the incoming players having to adjust to the pace of the game at the same time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

In my opinion it creates a bit of confusion with the incoming players having to adjust to the pace of the game at the same time. 

Didn’t we have the ball in the net within about 2 mins, with KWP getting in down the right once before and then  providing the cross for the goal. That suggests to me that we created confusion to the opposition, rather than to our own players. 

Didn't we make 3 subs at Everton as well, changes that helped us hold onto our lead. Not much “confusion” there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I agree games change, just not a huge fan of making three subs at once. In my opinion it creates a bit of confusion with the incoming players having to adjust to the pace of the game at the same time. 

Theres a lot of finger pointing at Jones going on from yesterdays game. I think Jones did enough to get a result from the game, we were hard to break down and limited them to very little. The loss is the responsibility of attackers not taking chances (again), not being able to defend a set piece (again) and the officials. On another day we win that 1-0, have 4 wins on the bounce and everyone is happy.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Would you rather have 3 changes at the same time or stick with Ralph's reluctance to make a sub at all?

• Like 2

The best tactics and systems in the world can't do their job if our strikers aren't capable of putting the chances we create away. Ralph was one or two strikers away from keeping his job, Jones is one or two strikers away from doing a good job and Saints are one or two strikers away from a chance at survival. What's especially infuriating is that all of this has been blatantly obvious for a fecking age yet still goes unremedied. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, tunit said:

Theres a lot of finger pointing at Jones going on from yesterdays game. I think Jones did enough to get a result from the game, we were hard to break down and limited them to very little. The loss is the responsibility of attackers not taking chances (again), not being able to defend a set piece (again) and the officials. On another day we win that 1-0, have 4 wins on the bounce and everyone is happy.

Nathan, explain bringing Moi on?  Explain why Orsic isn’t playing?  Explain why we have a CB playing RB.  That’s if you’ve got time after telling the media how fucking great you are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Nathan, explain bringing Moi on?  Explain why Orsic isn’t playing?  Explain why we have a CB playing RB.  That’s if you’ve got time after telling the media how fucking great you are.

In fairness he's explained both of these quite a few times in the media since he's been here. 

• Like 2

We can bang on about the technicalities and formations until the cows come home, but at the end of the day everything will be dictated by having someone to put the ball in the net and having a keeper to keep it out of the net. Football is simple really.

We have neither of those key components, so 5, 4, 3 or 2 at the back isn't going to make a blind bit of difference whilst we continue with the same deficiencies. Jones, much in the same way as Ralph, is not able to make any of our forwards premier league goal scorers and he needs help from the club in financing one who is. As has been obvious since we sold Ings, 2 years ago now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

I can only go on my opinion of what I see.

I really didn’t have a problem with Ralph towards the end. ( It was only a couple of seasons ago if you believe the media that Man U were half interested in him).

He is a quality manager that was trying to manage a team of youngsters and some could argue players that just aren’t good enough at this level.  (Possibly the reason we signed so many Man City academy prospects with big sell on clauses because of him)

He looked to me in the final few months tired and out of energy and ideas both in the dug out and in his press conferences. (I can only get to a few games, so others might rightly disagree).

Almost like he needed a team of    players that were seasoned pros that he could coach and try new ideas to out think and out play the opposition. 

He was sacked and we replaced him with let’s be honest at best a League one manager, not that there is anything wrong with that and I applaud SR for trying something different. 

I just think now it is probably clear that NJ just needs a hell of a lot of help and time which we don’t have. He appears to be struggling dealing with the big crowds, media attention and youngsters that rightly or wrongly are not used to lower league mentality.

That is definitely not a dig at the bloke, just what appears to be the vibe at the club. 

NJ has tried and has had time to get across his ideas and blueprint. I just hope there isn’t a split in the dressing room, with almost half the season left. 

Again I still struggle to come up with a replacement for NJ if that is the direction we take.

One thing I would take a new up and coming Manager, but homework first please like Palace, Burnley ect.

Another Potts will do. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

He appears to be struggling dealing with the big crowds, media attention and youngsters that rightly or wrongly are not used to lower league mentality.

That is definitely not a dig at the bloke, just what appears to be the vibe at the club. 

NJ has tried and has had time to get across his ideas and blueprint. I just hope there isn’t a split in the dressing room, with almost half the season left. 

What a load of old pony. 

• Like 2

Definition of madness is repeating the same thing expecting things to suddenly change. 

Bazunu isn't currently a Premier league capable goal keeper. 

Adam Armstrong is not a Premier league capable striker. 

Che Adams needs about 10 chances to finish one..... 

Diallo can't pass a footballer...

If the board think we have the strength to stay up they are clowns 🤡 😂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Green said:

The trouble with "on another day" is that we haven't got that many more. We need to be picking up points, especially at home in winnable games,  if there is to be a realistic chance of survival. 

Agree.

The "on another day" bollocks is a bit of a sidestep to excuse another Saints clusterfuck time after time. 

On another day we hit the post three times (possibly from two yards out mind), then a defender slips on his arse they go through and score, we lose. Or the GK allows a fluke in. Then on yet another day, our key striker heads the ball against his own arm when on the goal line and it's disallowed. 

I think we've used the "on another day" excuse up

• Like 4

On 21/01/2023 at 11:01, OttawaSaint said:

He's fucking shit. 

Media dept. have been sucking his cock all week. 

Villa brought in a 3x Europa league winning manager, we collected 10 crisp packets to get ours...

I was jealous when they hired him. I'm even more jealous now.

What a difference a quality manager makes, especially compared to someone clueless and out of his depth.

• Like 3

‘Hey Orsic how’s it going?’

’Well, I’ve had 19 minutes in total since arriving and he keep putting me on the other side of the pitch. Me don’t understand why they buy me if they don’t play me properly? Mr Jones even asked me yesterday if I had any advice for our strikers and I told him don’t waste a pass to them.’

Edited by Pilchards

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

’Well, I’ve had 19 minutes in total since arriving and he keep putting me on the other side of the pitch. Me don’t understand why they buy me if they don’t play me properly? Mr Jones even asked me yesterday if I had any advice for our strikers and I told him don’t waste a pass to them.’

I love this realistic representation of his english 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Haha 1

Reflecting on his interviews and pressers so far Jones is irritating when we lose and more irritating when we win. He makes Paul Sturrock seem like Stephen Fry. Semmens mentioned the Board doing ‘everything we can to support Nathan’ so I was wondering if it might be idea to get an interpreter like Pochettino had during his time at Saints. Failing that sure Rasmus could commission a CGI avatar for about £5m, fuck all in the Solak scheme of things. 

13 hours ago, Pilchards said:

‘I’ve only been here 10 days or so and in that time they’ve won twice so can’t really expect to start straight away. Also just got back from the World Cup before upping myself and my family to another country so been quite busy and probably is best that I’m eased in. 3 cup games coming up though so good chance to get some game time. Looking forward to it.’

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Making three subs at once is basically saying you got the line up and formation wrong from the start of the game. It also smacks of desperation.

You realise you only have half-time and limited windows per game to make subs? You need, sometimes, to change more than one at a time or you can’t use all available subs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Limited windows? Could you explain? 

You have to make the 5 subs in 3 stoppages, you can't make 5 separate subs.

FWIW, I actually have no problem making 3 changes at once, and sticking some more legs on the pitch. We actually had a really good 5 minutes after those changes were made, and we scored (VARsicle).  Heads went down when they scored the free kick.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

You realise you only have half-time and limited windows per game to make subs? You need, sometimes, to change more than one at a time or you can’t use all available subs. 

NJ has probably seen Pep or Klopp change out three when it’s going tits up. The difference is they have three quality players on the bench that understand exactly what their job is and how to execute it. Our lot (entire squad) look like they don’t have a clue what they’re supposed to be doing and if you’re a forward player you’ve given up picking up the scraps hoofed at you anyway.

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

You have to make the 5 subs in 3 stoppages, you can't make 5 separate subs.

FWIW, I actually have no problem making 3 changes at once, and sticking some more legs on the pitch. We actually had a really good 5 minutes after those changes were made, and we scored (VARsicle).  Heads went down when they scored the free kick.

Thanks I understand. I actually agree, I don't really care about how we do subs and plenty of people moaned about Ralph not changing things when it wasn't working so I don't mind it. I do think it would help if players had a clear idea of what was required of them though. The impression I get now is that Jones wants to be fluid but all it does is mean we are a jack of all trades and master of none where we don't really do any system particularly brilliantly. His game management needs work. 

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

NJ has probably seen Pep or Klopp change out three when it’s going tits up. The difference is they have three quality players on the bench that understand exactly what their job is and how to execute it. Our lot (entire squad) look like they don’t have a clue what they’re supposed to be doing and if you’re a forward player you’ve given up picking up the scraps hoofed at you anyway.

Yes and I think that's probably partially the managers fault and partially the players. I do wonder if it would have been better to play back to basics horrid football for the rest of this season and then play around with systems and fluid ways of playing next year when we can afford a few mistakes as players learn the system. Drastically changing things multiple times in a game is just not going to do well when you're low on confidence and lacking wins and performances. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

I can only go on my opinion of what I see.

I really didn’t have a problem with Ralph towards the end. ( It was only a couple of seasons ago if you believe the media that Man U were half interested in him).

He is a quality manager that was trying to manage a team of youngsters and some could argue players that just aren’t good enough at this level.  (Possibly the reason we signed so many Man City academy prospects with big sell on clauses because of him)

He looked to me in the final few months tired and out of energy and ideas both in the dug out and in his press conferences. (I can only get to a few games, so others might rightly disagree).

Almost like he needed a team of    players that were seasoned pros that he could coach and try new ideas to out think and out play the opposition. 

He was sacked and we replaced him with let’s be honest at best a League one manager, not that there is anything wrong with that and I applaud SR for trying something different. 

I just think now it is probably clear that NJ just needs a hell of a lot of help and time which we don’t have. He appears to be struggling dealing with the big crowds, media attention and youngsters that rightly or wrongly are not used to lower league mentality.

Again I still struggle to come up with a replacement for NJ if that is the direction we take.

One thing I would take a new up and coming Manager, but homework first please like Palace, Burnley ect.

Another Potts will do. 
———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

This post above is an example of some people just not looking at facts.  To describe Jones as “a League One manager at best” is utterly ridiculous.  He took low budget Luton up the leagues, and last season took them to a play-off position in the championship.  Kind of like Eddie Howe story.  But people don’t hang round Howe’s neck the lack of success at Burnley in the way they do with Jones at Stoke.

He wasn’t on my list of replacements, which were Rafa and Dyche (and back in the summer Cooper), but having watched every game it is clear to me that he has improved work rate and defensive organisation.  We look harder to play through, are only conceding one goal per game (which if maintained should be good enough to stay up) and clearly have much less talent in our squad than a side like Villa.  Imagine Saints with Watkins, Buendia, Douglas Luiz, Mingus, Bailey and Martinez.  And then Coutinho coming off the bench.

If we go down this season it is Ralph and the Board that should be held accountable, not someone who came in half way through when we were in the drop zone.  I still think we can get out of this given the number of teams involved this season but games are running out.

Edited by Forester

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes and I think that's probably partially the managers fault and partially the players. I do wonder if it would have been better to play back to basics horrid football for the rest of this season and then play around with systems and fluid ways of playing next year when we can afford a few mistakes as players learn the system. Drastically changing things multiple times in a game is just not going to do well when you're low on confidence and lacking wins and performances. 

It's a decent point. I'm not sure though if we could play a basics horrid football even if we wanted to. We could probably get a pretty muscly backline out of Salisu, ABK and Lyanco. But I feel from our full backs to the mids to the forwards that we don't have the right sort of players, even if we did sign a big bastard to lead the front line. I feel we have the players to play a tight pressing style more like Brighton, or just how we used to a couple of seasons back, then to play that ugly but effective football associated with teams like Dyche or Moyes in the past. 

I also don't know how our players would feel changing to that kind of system. Bear in mind they are probably not too bothered about the long term future of us, they are here (theoretically) to play in a system that allows them to flourish and then move on to a bigger club. The likes of Edozie, Lavia, ABK, Alcarez, Mara and Larios were probably told that they would play in a fluid system. Whilst I wish that didn't matter, in todays age where player egos rule, it's probably not good to alienate half your team, and their agents who we will need for future signings. 

I find it hard to know where to go next. I don't think a classic 'no nonsense' manager will work with this group of players. I don't believe Jones has the skillset to develop a fluid system that can deliver results in the prem. And I am also unsure (but can't be certain) whether there is a skilled manager out there who is capable of developing the right system who is also available/would want to get involved in this clusterfuck of a club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

From what I watch we already play a 'back to basics horrid football' and that's the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

From what I watch we already play a 'back to basics horrid football' and that's the problem.

No we don't, we play a mixture of systems and we chop and change formations multiple times a game. If anything it's the opposite of back to basics and much too complex for a limited group of players. One thing that everyone at Newcastle said when Howe came in and caused a big upturn in form is that he kept it simple and everyone knew exactly what their jobs were at all times. I'm not sure you can say the same for our players at the moment. 

Edited by hypochondriac

On 22/01/2023 at 12:43, tunit said:

Agreed. Var and the attacker's not taking their chances. And then as jones said post match - bad defending on one set peice. Suspect some fans are still mad at him for referencing Brighton's low xG against us in his pre match presser... Can't be easy to hear even the manager embracing the modern game 😊 😍

Edited by Saint86

With Lampard sacked probably only a matter of time before Everton pounce on Nathan Jones, just like they did with Koeman. He could transform that club, take them to places they haven’t been in generations, whilst being nearer to the inspirational hard as nails ex mining towns. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Thanks I understand. I actually agree, I don't really care about how we do subs and plenty of people moaned about Ralph not changing things when it wasn't working so I don't mind it. I do think it would help if players had a clear idea of what was required of them though. The impression I get now is that Jones wants to be fluid but all it does is mean we are a jack of all trades and master of none where we don't really do any system particularly brilliantly. His game management needs work. 

Nothing to do with the overall standard of players and everything on how that strategy is communicated to the players then? 

I dont what strategy he employs we have a pile of shyte up front this season and that wont change while you have a hole in your arse.  Blame whoever and whatever you like but the facts are Adams, Armstrong, Moi, Mara, Aribo, Djneppo (plus others i haven't mentioned) are not up to standard and the best we can hope for is to scrape enough gritty wins to stay up but in reality we wont. 

Maybe Orsic and Alcaraz will help but equally maybe they wont. 

The only thig that can significantly  improve our chances of staying up are signing better players. A better manager may help but who are we talking here and would they really be good enough to get Adams and armstrong scoring regularly? 

I’m probably in the minority here but I do think he has made us a nastier team to play against. I’m not in the place now where one goal against results in a capitulation.

The squad is crying out for more athleticism to do what he wants though and obviously a good striker.

• Like 3

At this point, I think Jones should just do it the way he wants to. 

He clearly wants to play a back 5 and play long balls from back to front. 

Give him some money to buy a big fucker up top that suits his brexit style of football and some old school, no nonsense CB’s. 

Fuck why the fans say, fuck what the current players say, we’re going down anyway so you may as well do it your way and give us the best chance of staying up. 

He’s definitely added more agression to our game, but we still make mistakes/switch off at the back (just general dip shit players tbh) and have absolutely no style or way of breaking teams down. 

He’s a disgustingly average manager managing a group of disgustingly average players. 

Is he the man to bring us back? I don’t personally think so, but we’re stuck with him now, so may as well had back him. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!