Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

19 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

every press conference with jones has the same questions from journos basically trying to make him chat sh*t about other people/clubs or keep trying to get comments out of him on fan toxicity. lots of people keep moaning about his comments but it’s all he gets asked, it’s like the press see him as vulnerable and so are trying to get any small story to take him down. 

Was just watching the everton one, and it’s the same pattern it’s rare to see under any other manager really. 

Thought he came across well in that press conference, very calm, measured and reasonable responses, often to some irritating and banal questions.

Personally, I think the fans had a fair gripe to air after the Forest performance and result (especially coming after a poor performance v Brighton, and a typical surrender at Fulham). Questions about tactics, set up, and selection were in order, although not some of the personal vitriol poured out. NJ is entirely justified in having a 'pop' back, but now is time to put a lid on it.

For all the press conferences, and cup wins though, he has to do it in the league. Hoping the board provide him the quality players , and especially the striker they failed to deliver for Ralph. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We had become far too nice.  Nice club, nice games for away fans down on the coast, nice to play against, just nice all over

New manager demands that we are not nice, 

At long fucking last……

Who gives a flying fuck if Jonesy is a nice bloke, if he kicks a few son in laws arses, or even better gets them to kick their own arses’ , he’d have done this club a massive service. Would I want him as a Brother-in Law? No I fucking wouldn’t, I wouldn’t want the chippy little Welsh twat anywhere near either of my sisters. But I’m watching my team play, not arranging a fucking dinner party…

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

“I have ignored everything really. Some of it’s justified, some of it’s not. I think I’ve handled myself with real dignity in recent weeks.”

Not exactly true NJ...

Credit to NJ for using the word dignity, as opposed to the often misused and default word of "class"  which is regularly trotted out.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Anyone expecting Jones to behave in the ways being suggested in this thread is going to be very disappointed.  He's short and Welsh*, so already a chip on both shoulders.  He's had to scrap his way for everything he's got so he's bristly, chippy and ready to fight anyone.  Add to that he's a football manager, which means he's obsessed and permanently stressed.  He reminds me of Gordon Strachan.  I hope if he gets a period of success with us, we'll see some Strachan-style humour to go with his confrontational style.   I expect him to keep having a pop at anyone who crosses him. For now he feels slighted by (a section of) the fanbase so he'll keep attacking that until he feels he's been vindicated.  I don't worry about him bearing a grudge. I imagine he'll polarise us unless/until he's universally regarded as successful.

My first thought when we were being rumoured to appoint him was that he had some similarities to Strachan and that we could really use a new strachan.

Remember being distinctly unimpressed at the time that we were after the manager who relegated Coventry but it ended up a masterstroke, so still hoping he will be too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

My first thought when we were being rumoured to appoint him was that he had some similarities to Strachan and that we could really use a new strachan.

Remember being distinctly unimpressed at the time that we were after the manager who relegated Coventry but it ended up a masterstroke, so still hoping he will be too.

I remember watching Strachan’s first training session up a tree at Staplewood.

He would stop the game during a routine corner drill and ripped into Monkou (I think it was) Strachan was in his face like he wanted a punch up. All the other players were shocked and pretty scared of him from that moment. Strachan was a warrior and got the very best out of the team.

I even made £200 after one of the tabloids bought my photo of Walcott who was hot news at the time.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Obviously it's been a trying time all round, but you have to be pretty damn blinkered if you honestly think parts of the fanbase haven't behaved poorly throughout all this. Adults acting like kids. And to be sensitive now that NJ dares to bite a little in response to the torrent of provocative questions from journos? Come on now.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

He would stop the game during a routine corner drill and ripped into Monkou (I think it was) Strachan was in his face like he wanted a punch up. All the other players were shocked and pretty scared of him from that moment. Strachan was a warrior and got the very best out of the team.

I even made £200 after one of the tabloids bought my photo of Walcott who was hot news at the time.

Monkou had left before Strachen joined. Maybe it was Williams?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Obviously it's been a trying time all round, but you have to be pretty damn blinkered if you honestly think parts of the fanbase haven't behaved poorly throughout all this. Adults acting like kids. And to be sensitive now that NJ dares to bite a little in response to the torrent of provocative questions from journos? Come on now.

Yep, like proper man-babies. As I said earlier in the week, god forbid some of these people have to have difficult conversations or moments with people or deal with tough situations in real life.

I mean, throwing a wobbler like a child and getting quite personal with the insults at someone who, whether they like it or not, is only trying their best is not constructive or conducive to creating a positive or supportive atmosphere. We’re still in the formative weeks of Jones’ tenure and like many, I am cautiously skeptical but it’ll only go one way if you feed the negativity and toxicity.

This is a time to be constructive, fair and rational - not the time to lose your shi7 because you don’t like the appointment or you get a bit of stick back from a man who quite frankly, is entitled to give a bit of stick back after the pelters he received for something he’s barely culpable for. A couple of shocking displays yes, 6 years of stagnation, poor recruitment and pi55taking players, no.   

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Why was Strachan holding a training session up a tree ? 

• Haha 2

Well if he actually wins lots of PL games he will no longer need to react to personal insults as there won't be any. Any mere

draws are not good enough when playing the teams in the lower half of the table.

Finally, for now, excellent as that Man City result was it was just as much a fluke as either of the 9-0 results that Ralph presided over.

Have a listen to today's episode of The Athletic Football Podcast.

It's the Weekend Preview and from around the 16:40 mark they focus on the Everton Saints game and have an in depth look at Nathan Jones and whether it was a good appointment or not. They have a pundit on there called George Elek and he is very knowledgable about the lower leagues and has a lot to say about both Nathan Jones and Frank Lampard.  Interesting stuff. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, baggytrousers said:

Have a listen to today's episode of The Athletic Football Podcast.

It's the Weekend Preview and from around the 16:40 mark they focus on the Everton Saints game and have an in depth look at Nathan Jones and whether it was a good appointment or not. They have a pundit on there called George Elek and he is very knowledgable about the lower leagues and has a lot to say about both Nathan Jones and Frank Lampard.  Interesting stuff. 

Thanks for the recommendation - Elek absolutely unequivocal about how good he thinks Jones is. Interesting.

Ultimately though, if we don't win today today it won't mean shit. 

You would have found people saying what a good manager Felix Magath was as well. It's got to happen on the pitch.

On 12/01/2023 at 23:58, CB Fry said:

Nice to see that five years ago you were writing out the same shit as you are today.

The post above was accusing Lord Duckhunter of being in his first season of supporting Saints.

Strange absence on this forum for the entire reigns of Hughes and Ralph though. I can only assume Parkhurst.

To be fair, they do run an OU creative writing course in Parkhurst.

• Like 1

Win today and Jones frees himself from the shadows of Frank de Boer and Steve Wrigley in terms of Premier League results.

https://www.squawka.com/en/worst-win-rates-managers-premier-league/

Fwiw I hope we win and continue the form from Wednesday. Still not impressed with Jones to date which may be my bias against people on a mission from God who aren't Dan Akroyd or John Belushi.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Thanks for the recommendation - Elek absolutely unequivocal about how good he thinks Jones is. Interesting.

Ultimately though, if we don't win today today it won't mean shit. 

You would have found people saying what a good manager Felix Magath was as well. It's got to happen on the pitch.

True, it does have to happen on the pitch and to be fair to Elek he was at pains to point out that he wasn’t saying that Jones will definitely succeed, just that he’s a far better  manager than many have given him credit for and he should be given enough time to show that.

I’m a way I actually hope he goes on a run of wins now like Villa have done (side note: they’ve picked up the most points in the Premier League alongside Arsenal since Emery took over).

But it would shut a lot of people up on this forum that hounded him before he even got started.

I didn’t agree with his appointment, and am still sceptical but I won’t hurl abuse at the bloke for inheriting a shitshow. It’s the style of football that frustrates me the most.

If we go after teams the way we did midweek then I’ll be happy. Chucking nine at the back isn’t worth the money to go and see.

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m a way I actually hope he goes on a run of wins now like Villa have done (side note: they’ve picked up the most points in the Premier League alongside Arsenal since Emery took over).

But it would shut a lot of people up on this forum that hounded him before he even got started.

I didn’t agree with his appointment, and am still sceptical but I won’t hurl abuse at the bloke for inheriting a shitshow. It’s the style of football that frustrates me the most.

If we go after teams the way we did midweek then I’ll be happy. Chucking nine at the back isn’t worth the money to go and see.

If we go on winning run, it's not "him", it's us, the team, our team, saints. 

Jones wasn't "hounded before he even got started". He got criticism for producing shit football and shit results. He deserved that imo, and deserves praise for turning it around over the last week, but needs to get wins on the board in the league. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, egg said:

If we go on winning run, it's not "him", it's us, the team, our team, saints. 

Jones wasn't "hounded before he even got started". He got criticism for producing shit football and shit results. He deserved that imo, and deserves praise for turning it around over the last week, but needs to get wins on the board in the league. 

Exactly this, it’s fundamentally about performance and ultimately results. Prior to that, in the words of Groucho Marx ‘Who ya gonna believe, me or your own eyes?’ 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pilchards said:

You were up a tree taking and selling pictures of a 13 year old?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We could do with some of Villas luck. Leeds took them apart last night, Villas centre halves were fucking woeful. A combination of great goal keeping, poor finishing, a hairline offside & Leon Bailey gave them a completely undeserved win. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

At long fucking last……

Who gives a flying fuck if Jonesy is a nice bloke, if he kicks a few son in laws arses, or even better gets them to kick their own arses’ , he’d have done this club a massive service. Would I want him as a Brother-in Law? No I fucking wouldn’t, I wouldn’t want the chippy little Welsh twat anywhere near either of my sisters. But I’m watching my team play, not arranging a fucking dinner party…

How about a distant relative or an Auntie?  Maybe they're at a party, they're both alone, both had too much to drink and their eyes meet.  They know it's wrong but they can't help themselves.  A fleeting thought passes your distant relatives mind, "What would Lord Duckhunter think?"  It's gone in an instant though as she gives herself to her carnal cravings whilst Nathan ponders the depths of her valley.

When forming an opinion do you always wonder what it would be like if they were screwing members of your family? Obviously in this case you've discarded it but always interesting to see the thought processes of people. 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We could do with some of Villas luck. Leeds took them apart last night, Villas centre halves were fucking woeful. A combination of great goal keeping, poor finishing, a hairline offside & Leon Bailey gave them a completely undeserved win. 

Also interesting was how poor they were first half, the were utterly woeful. Wonder if their fans have been bitching as much directly at the manager as much as some of ours have.

I think we have started to show signs of improvement from the Lincoln game which in reality , given their team/Div was worse than Forest, also considering the pressure for the latter was different. Im all for fans being pissed off at the football served up, and rightly so, but so few games into a new manager, it seems strange to me that the people defending Ralph for so long are so quick to jump into Jones - he inherited a demoralised team, that had piss poor communication from Ralph, that hadn’t really a clue how to play - that will take time to change.

Though Leeds actually looked half decent , but still expect them to be near the bottom come season end.

Leon Bailey is a weird one too, shows to me that some players/managers don’t click together as he and Gerrard never seemed to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

How about a distant relative or an Auntie?  Maybe they're at a party, they're both alone, both had too much to drink and their eyes meet.  They know it's wrong but they can't help themselves.  A fleeting thought passes your distant relatives mind, "What would Lord Duckhunter think?"  It's gone in an instant though as she gives herself to her carnal cravings whilst Nathan ponders the depths of her valley.

When forming an opinion do you always wonder what it would be like if they were screwing members of your family? Obviously in this case you've discarded it but always interesting to see the thought processes of people. 

*Allegedly* she'd have to live in Stoke....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Emery is overrated, and this’ll end very similar to Gerrard in 12-18 months time.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Also interesting was how poor they were first half, the were utterly woeful. Wonder if their fans have been bitching as much directly at the manager as much as some of ours have.

I think we have started to show signs of improvement from the Lincoln game which in reality , given their team/Div was worse than Forest, also considering the pressure for the latter was different. Im all for fans being pissed off at the football served up, and rightly so, but so few games into a new manager, it seems strange to me that the people defending Ralph for so long are so quick to jump into Jones - he inherited a demoralised team, that had piss poor communication from Ralph, that hadn’t really a clue how to play - that will take time to change.

Though Leeds actually looked half decent , but still expect them to be near the bottom come season end.

Leon Bailey is a weird one too, shows to me that some players/managers don’t click together as he and Gerrard never seemed to. 

We played Lincoln on 20th December, then lost three games on the bounce (Forest on 4th January).

There were definitely no signs of improvement after the Lincoln game when we played Brighton, Fulham & Forest and the first half against Palace was arguably equally as poor.

The players, especially JWP pushing Jones towards the fans at the end. 

Ive no doubt the squad are behind him. 

Like him or not, think he’s out of his depth or not, he’s taken criticism onboard and has changed. We’ve improved as a result. 

For that reason, I’m Jones in. 

I still don’t think he’s the man to keep us up, but I don’t know if anyone could to be honest. We make too many mistakes in both boxes. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We played Lincoln on 20th December, then lost three games on the bounce (Forest on 4th January).

There were definitely no signs of improvement after the Lincoln game when we played Brighton, Fulham & Forest and the first half against Palace was arguably equally as poor.

So, hows that no improvement after the Lincoln game working out for you?

4 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

He didn’t change tactics because of the fans. My word the arrogance of some fans. 
Anyway fair play to Jones. Be good to get right behind him and the team on Saturday. 

He doesn’t do teamtalks either. For a guy who is a motormouth, he just stands there frozen on the spot and let’s JWP do it. Allegedly.

our fanbase is genuinely bitter and backward, mentally.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

3 wins in a week, against Premier League sides, including Man City and a massive 6-pointer

Yes he is doing OK it was a shame that we did not hang on for a draw at Fulham like we did today and against both Palace and City

Not only for the extra point but also for the confidence we could have brought into the Forest game

Things are looking up with new players to come into the team the future looks brighter than it did in 2022

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Some people can’t help themselves, you seriously think the pile on has made a blind bit of difference to the way he’s managing ? Dear god…

I was referring to the comment around the players having a word with him. 

But to be honest, I don’t think fans singing “your football is shit” would have gone completely unnoticed. In fact it wasn’t as he referred to it. 

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other I suspect. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

So, hows that no improvement after the Lincoln game working out for you?

Odd.

Did we beat Brighton, Forest and Fulham then?

As I pointed out we were also shit in the first half against Palace. The improvement has been since then.

I've never said we will NEVER improve after the Lincoln game, just that we DIDN'T at that point.

Maybe it escaped you, but we actually got worse....

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!