Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

3 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

So not a straight answer then just whataboutery waffle about Ralph. 

Gave you my answer, more than what he has been given. You should have read it properly instead of searching the net for some stupid word to put in your sentence 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

So in your mind, you would give time to any manager appointment we made. So regardless of who they are or how good they are, there will never be an appointment that you wouldn't question from day one.

Yes I would give time to any manager Southampton had appointed. Surely anyone deserves time in a role.

Do players deserve time ? Or are they hounded out within a few games ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes I would give time to any manager Southampton had appointed. Surely anyone deserves time in a role.

I always feel bad how Ricardo Fuller was treated at our club. It was a very sad episode

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That’s fine if you don’t think it’s pathetic to write people off before they have started. I think it is 

Personally, I would give him the Everton game and if we don't get a result there, that would be it. Alarm bells were sounding in the Lincoln game after watching us struggle in that game. Didn't go to Brighton, but I saw enough against Forest to suggest he is not good enough to make the step up. If you think one gifted win against Palace is going to paper over the cracks that's fine. I think he has had enough time to mould us into at least something that makes us competitive and organised, I haven't seen evidence of either to be honest. I refuse to believe that a manager with top level experience would not be able to at least make us a little more creative, even with the players that we have got. The display against Forest was probably the worst home game I've seen us play.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

So in your mind, you would give time to any manager appointment we made. So regardless of who they are or how good they are, there will never be an appointment that you wouldn't question from day one.

In most fair-minded peoples mind. The answer to that is obviously "Correct". 

I wonder what the etymology of the word Supporter is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not sure we have time for a manager on a learning curve. We've all been through relegation battles before, we might only be 3-4 points adrift but every time you lose a winnable game means later in the season you end up having to go to Old Trafford or similar to get a result.  

The fact is that the team has played terribly since NA took charge. Tactics, idendity, selection, passion - that's all something NA is directly responsible for and he's failed. I do, however, feel he should be given the chance to recognise and correct those failings, but it has to happen NOW. More of the same and he should be fired but in my opinion he needs a couple of games to show he DOES know what he's doing. That doesn't mean we win 2 games but it should mean we look like a team capable of competing at this level.

37 minutes ago, Nolan said:

In most fair-minded peoples mind. The answer to that is obviously "Correct". 

I wonder what the etymology of the word Supporter is?

47 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

For me there is a line, and below that all the possible candidates are not good enough.

Above that line I would to give them time, below the line there is no point. 

NJ is a below the line candidate for me, there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. I was against him on day 1 and wasting time watching him fuck up isn't going to do the club any good. I support SFC not NJ and we have made a terrible mistake that has to be rectified asap.

I have always given other appointments breathing space, the only other time I thought this way was with Wigley.

When you know you know.

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

For me there is a line, and below that all the possible candidates are not good enough.

Above that line I would to give them time, below the line there is no point. 

NJ is a below the line candidate for me, there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. I was against him on day 1 and wasting time watching him fuck up isn't going to do the club any good. I support SFC not NJ and we have made a terrible mistake that has to be rectified asap.

I have always given other appointments breathing space, the only other time I thought this way was with Wigley.

When you know you know.

People say they didnt but Crouch was booed time and again, then he made his mark and became a hero, of course no-one ever booed him and was airbrushed out of history.

To me the plain fact is the owners are not going to sack him yet and so by making his life (the teams) hell, only hurts us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

And how many of those are 

1. Premier league quality

2. His signings

Cant imagine he would have picked those players if he had a choice in it. 

Perhaps not, but the argument that Ralph did not have 'new' players is patently erroneous.

19 minutes ago, OldNick said:

People say they didnt but Crouch was booed time and again, then he made his mark and became a hero, of course no-one ever booed him and was airbrushed out of history.

To me the plain fact is the owners are not going to sack him yet and so by making his life (the teams) hell, only hurts us

Crouch got booed for being a Skate - pretty much like every other skate has until they win the fans over....

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hakan Hayrettin is available after getting the push at Maidstone, let's give him a go and some time to see if it will work. Got the Stones promotion last season with a very small budget and was part of the staff when Luton got promotion back into the league. And by all accounts a nice bloke as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Crouch got booed for being a Skate - pretty much like every other skate has until they win the fans over....

No I dont agree, he was booed as people thought he was rubbish and the were many threads on Saintsforever (?) saying so

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

No I dont agree, he was booed as people thought he was rubbish and the were many threads on Saintsforever (?) saying so

And what’s the excuse all the people had for booing Pelle on his home debut, that was pathetic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

And what’s the excuse all the people had for booing Pelle on his home debut, that was pathetic

No idea, perhaps they thought we were going to play longball, whilst at the same time asking for Dyche to be manager

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Hakan Hayrettin is available after getting the push at Maidstone, let's give him a go and some time to see if it will work. Got the Stones promotion last season with a very small budget and was part of the staff when Luton got promotion back into the league. And by all accounts a nice bloke as well.

Yeah why not 

Knob 

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

What is it 3 league games proper?

Liverpool may have been a free hit, but it is 4 PL games, 0 points from a possible 12. Given the World Cup break you might have expected there to have been time and opportunity to work on tactics, understanding between the squad and manager, and generate some signs of improvement, but the following 3 league matches showed nothing, in fact home to Forest was several steps backwards. ZERO shots on target at home.

A jammy win over a League 1 team, and 2 freak goals at Selhurst Park hardly paper over the cracks.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

its not going to happen, so why bother calling for it.

Get behind the team FFS

Why on earth do you think it's not going to happen? 

Jones has played 4 and lost 4 and we didn't even compete against Brighton.  If this continues for another 4 or 5 PL games, which seems likely, then the board will have little option but to sack him.  If we go down their £200m investment pretty much becomes worthless overnight as, in the Championship, our income will be far less than our outgoings which pretty much will mean no one would want to pay anything like £200m for us.

As to what the etymology of the word supporter is I would say it's someone who wants the best for whatever it is they are supporting.  If a car manufacturer had produced a car which bursts into flames every time it goes round a bend then they would change something in the car not get all the employees to stand around it and applaud  (as it bursts into flames).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Liverpool may have been a free hit, but it is 4 PL games, 0 points from a possible 12. Given the World Cup break you might have expected there to have been time and opportunity to work on tactics, understanding between the squad and manager, and generate some signs of improvement, but the following 3 league matches showed nothing, in fact home to Forest was several steps backwards. ZERO shots on target at home.

A jammy win over a League 1 team, and 2 freak goals at Selhurst Park hardly paper over the cracks.

I totally get where you are coming from but to me the balance is

1. do you believe SR's arrogance will see them sacking the manager 

2. the cost after paying off Ralph (why he was given such a long contract!! that goes for many of the players as well)

3. If we have to accept that the manager is staying, should we not shrug our shoulders and get behind the team and management. Afterall it is self harming not to. There will be a percentage of knuckleheads who want us to fail badly in the next couple of games just so their vain hope of a change comes into play.

We didnt expect NJ so who they are likely to follow up with lord knows

I personally am giving NJ time and feel he will turn things around. I would like to see us being more aggressive, get the ball into/near the oppositions penalty area rather than the playing around our defence, into midfield and back again while the opposition can reform their defence. I believe you wont see our players doing the 'gentleman's excuse me' allowing attacks to build, but the dark arts will break up attacks before they get our defence. The best teams have always done it, but our team of choirboys play it fair.

Get some grit in our game, getpoints on the board then start developing the pretty stuff. Far more exciting

10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I totally get where you are coming from but to me the balance is

1. do you believe SR's arrogance will see them sacking the manager 

2. the cost after paying off Ralph (why he was given such a long contract!! that goes for many of the players as well)

3. If we have to accept that the manager is staying, should we not shrug our shoulders and get behind the team and management. Afterall it is self harming not to. There will be a percentage of knuckleheads who want us to fail badly in the next couple of games just so their vain hope of a change comes into play.

We didnt expect NJ so who they are likely to follow up with lord knows

I personally am giving NJ time and feel he will turn things around. I would like to see us being more aggressive, get the ball into/near the oppositions penalty area rather than the playing around our defence, into midfield and back again while the opposition can reform their defence. I believe you wont see our players doing the 'gentleman's excuse me' allowing attacks to build, but the dark arts will break up attacks before they get our defence. The best teams have always done it, but our team of choirboys play it fair.

Get some grit in our game, getpoints on the board then start developing the pretty stuff. Far more exciting

Of course I support the team; I supported them when Steve Wigley was manager, similarly Stuart Gray, Pellegrino, and Puel. I even paid to watch Poortvliet's team play. What I want to see are shots on target, some sort of control amongst the defensive unit, and a midfield that actually demonstrates it is present on the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Of course I support the team; I supported them when Steve Wigley was manager, similarly Stuart Gray, Pellegrino, and Puel. I even paid to watch Poortvliet's team play. What I want to see are shots on target, some sort of control amongst the defensive unit, and a midfield that actually demonstrates it is present on the pitch.

I know you support the team. We are in need of hopefully getting some performances to pick up morale. 

18 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

So you're all for being calm in giving a manager a chance but can't let a forum discussion go more than three replys with out resulting to insult.

Well if you will make ridiculous childish comparisons then why not treat it with the contempt it deserves 

9 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Please can you put some sort of trigger warning if you're going to list this many awful managers. I had deep flashbacks to many of those eras watching awful football

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Please can you put some sort of trigger warning if you're going to list this many awful managers. I had deep flashbacks to many of those eras watching awful football

Considering I didn't even include Ian Branfoot.

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Amen to that.

Been supporting for close on 50 years and have seen some shockers but not in this consistent manner and especially after having 6 weeks to get his ideas across - must have been talking in Welsh. I like to think I’m quite patient but he is out of his depth. More than happy to be proved wrong so will give him 2 or 3 PL games but if still zero points then he needs to go else we’ll be in the championship.

42 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

We don't play with a midfield. PLaying five at the back doesn't allow for it.

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

As to what the etymology of the word supporter is I would say it's someone who wants the best for whatever it is they are supporting.  If a car manufacturer had produced a car which bursts into flames every time it goes round a bend then they would change something in the car not get all the employees to stand around it and applaud  (as it bursts into flames).

I see what you are doing there but for me the metaphor doesn't quite work.

Firstly the car hasn't suddenly burst into flames.  It's not been working for a while.  The new mechanic hasn't got it going yet (and his spanner work seems to the outside to be making things worse) but the company owners have backed their judgement with hard cash and are not prepared to write that off yet.  

Secondly a football club is not like a car (probably you didn't need me to tell you that!).  We are supporters not consumers; the implications and our role is different.  We need to do our part.  How long did Branfoot get?  Do we really want to be the new Watford? I agree it's no looking good and NJ has done nothing to convince me he's the right appointment.  But our job today is to support as best we can and have some faith that things will work out for the best.  Otherwise, what's the point?  

I know I might sound like a happy clapper; believe me no-one is more down than me right now.  I just think knee-jerk reactions and stressed-based decision making are not what's needed now, neither is unfettered vitriol from the stands or on social media).  We're not in a Mike Ashley scenario, nor an Ian Branfoot one (yet).  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Just wanted to share a clip from our podcast to this thread, I feel it's very on topic for what's being discussed. 

Would love to know what you think on the below!

Is it me or does Glen from @L1Minus10 look more than a little bit like Ralph? No wonder he was laughing so much :lol: 

1 hour ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Just wanted to share a clip from our podcast to this thread, I feel it's very on topic for what's being discussed. 

Can't argue with any of that.

I like the last point that was mentioned. "I dread to think who was our second choice"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Well if you will make ridiculous childish comparisons then why not treat it with the contempt it deserves 

It wasn't a comparison. It was testing your assertion that you would give anyone time before forming an opinion, when probably you do really have a limit as well.

It's fine, you think NJ might make it here whereas many already think there is no chance in a million years he will and it's not fuckin pathetic to think so.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It wasn't a comparison. It was testing your assertion that you would give anyone time before forming an opinion, when probably you do really have a limit as well.

It's fine, you think NJ might make it here whereas many already think there is no chance in a million years he will and it's not fuckin pathetic to think so.

The question you asked was would I give time to any manager Southampton Appointed, and then you named some random from Maidstone as a situation comparison. 

Not once have I said I reckon he will or will not make it, my original pathetic remark was to do with how much game proof he has been given before the knives came out. 

You seem to be wanting to put words in my mouth, so let’s clarify as it’s getting a bit boring.

Was Nathan Jones a name I had in mind for Saints appointing - No 

Did I want him -  No (but not sure who else we could have got or would have wanted it)

Will he provide similar/worse/better results than the last few managers we have had - No idea yet 

Do I think he has been given fair game time to warrant some of this hate - No I don’t.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do I think he has been given fair game time to warrant some of this hate - No I don’t.

I’m with you on most points and I’ve been looking for some green shoots of recovery from each game. Unfortunately that Forest game was as bad as any Saints performance I’ve witnessed… and I’ve seen a lot of shit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Apparently in his spare time Grant competes on the Professional Bowling Tour.

image.png.6f3c5a06ad3d63842699ad3d8fa5e33e.png

image.png.64d501fb71f817f49b990be22b8bff32.png

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!