Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Can everyone cut Jones some slack now we were shot under Ralph.. 

give the bloke a chance 

This result should buy him a bit of time, and release a bit of pressure. I’ve read countless posts where people have called him a twat, passive aggressive, chest thumping clown etc. but his reaction at the end was pretty classy imo, personally, I’d have given some of you the old Harvey Smith. Then called Blackmore a fat chump in my post match interview. 

Deserves credit for setting up the team properly & installing a bit of fight in the players. Long long way to go, but the bloke deserves this result tonight. 

• Like 16

Christ, that's put the cat among the pigeons. He's only gone and done a tactical number on Pep and his fancy dans. Maybe he has got something about him. If he gets a win at Everton I will start to believe someone up there is answering his prayers. I've been critical so tonight full credit where it's due because that was a stunning team performance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

He needs to stop taking everything to heart. Its a tough job, there will be problems, and patience is often missing. 

But he seems rather stung already. Stop talking Nath. Let the tactics do the work. 

So do our fans, who booed him after 4 games and when he’s given a bit back, they’ve cried like big babies. If you dish it out, you should be prepared to take it back.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 21

Well.....thats causing some distress in my head!! We can only judge a new manager by what we see and the last 3 PL games were horrendous. 

But after that...jeez!!! 

A one off performance of that nature - even against City - has to buy the man a bit of time, even from me🤣

If this proves to be the standard we produce regularly then we might just have a man to do something. 

But it is only one great performance after 3 very poor ones. 

Let's see after Saturday. 

• Like 2

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

So do our fans, who booed him after 4 games and when he’s given a bit back, they’ve cried like big babies. If you dish it out, you should be prepared to take it back.

Agreed. To be honest, I think the way our fan base has acted towards Jones is a disgrace. 

the football has been appalling, regardless of what he says, but it’s shameful the way he’s been boo’d, personally insulted and had songs sung about him. 

Fair play to him for getting a dig back tonight. 

I still think he’s out of his depth, but we’ve got him, so we need to back him (providing we continue to try and play as we did today). 

• Like 4

Just now, Dman said:

Agreed. To be honest, I think the way our fan base has acted towards Jones is a disgrace. 

the football has been appalling, regardless of what he says, but it’s shameful the way he’s been boo’d, personally insulted and had songs sung about him. 

Fair play to him for getting a dig back tonight. 

I still think he’s out of his depth, but we’ve got him, so we need to back him (providing we continue to try and play as we did today). 

Agree, no one has denied it’s been appalling, like you said. But the fans vitriol (where is the questioning of the board, players and recruitment team in recent years?) and the cherry on top of the cake, Big Adam and ‘Dozzy’ having that childish and quite frankly, snidey one-on-one.

Four games. To turn around a six year sh1tstorm of a club. BOOOOOOOOO

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not strange at all. He’s right. 

Correct. This performance was utterly night and day from anything previous under him. The closest was 20-30 minutes second half against Palace. Jones has had fans on his back early, and I’d say rightly so, it’s been a shambolic few matches under him and terrible to watch. Today reminded us of the times at our best under Ralph. Press, work hard, quick passing, no dilly dallying about at the back, and exploit the other team’s mistakes by breaking very quickly in numbers. That’s how we can stay up.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 8

Other than the win, and the way we played, the biggest and most significant thing for me was the way the players were with him after the game. It absolutely looks like he has them on his side and that is no bad thing at all. If they’re all together fighting and believing in each other, that’s powerful. 

• Like 6

Whether you think it's fair for him to take a dig at the fans or not, all it's doing is creating tension which will (and is) leading to inevitably bigger reactions when we don't do well.

It's nice to win a couple of cup games but he got 0 points against Brighton, Fulham and Forest. He doesn't need to keep reminding us it'd be a miracle to keep us up.

I hope he turns it around, but he has a huge chip on his shoulder and currently hasn't done anything.

He is a tool, sorry.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Daft Kerplunk said:

Other than the win, and the way we played, the biggest and most significant thing for me was the way the players were with him after the game. It absolutely looks like he has them on his side and that is no bad thing at all. If they’re all together fighting and believing in each other, that’s powerful. 

Yep. They probably felt quite defensive after hearing all the sh1t he’s been getting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Agree, no one has denied it’s been appalling, like you said. But the fans vitriol (where is the questioning of the board, players and recruitment team in recent years?) and the cherry on top of the cake, Big Adam and ‘Dozzy’ having that childish and quite frankly, snidey one-on-one.

Four games. To turn around a six year sh1tstorm of a club. BOOOOOOOOO

That twat is so far up Ralph and Semmens arse, it’s absolutely pointless listening to him anymore. 

Such a one sided, biased opinion. He’s clearly not a fan of SR, because they’re pushing his mate Semmens out

• Like 7

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Whether you think it's fair for him to take a dig at the fans or not, all it's doing is creating tension which will (and is) leading to inevitably bigger reactions when we don't do well.

It's nice to win a couple of cup games but he got 0 points against Brighton, Fulham and Forest. He doesn't need to keep reminding us it'd be a miracle to keep us up.

I hope he turns it around, but he has a huge chip on his shoulder and currently hasn't done anything.

Or perhaps the booing and vitriol by the fans created the tension? If you’re big and ugly enough to dish it, then you better be able to take it.

We’re in a big hole, but performances like that give us hope. The fans getting behind the team is a huge part.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I get that but the fans should practice what they preach. If you’re going to give it out you have to be prepared to get it back.

Tha said, it seems many of our fans are man-babies about this kind of thing. God forbid they get any criticism in life, just or unjust.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not many people (pundits) talking about Romeo Lavia’s role in Djenepo’s goal. First class win the ball, spin, and play in tge attacker. Defence to attack in one second. Pure class.

completely mugged Kalvin Phillips for that goal

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not many people (pundits) talking about Romeo Lavia’s role in Djenepo’s goal. First class win the ball, spin, and play in tge attacker. Defence to attack in one second. Pure class.

Makes us tick. A world Beater in the making. 

No surprise we’ve improved upon his return to fitness. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Or perhaps the booing and vitriol by the fans created the tension? If you’re big and ugly enough to dish it, then you better be able to take it.

We’re in a big hole, but performances like that give us hope. The fans getting behind the team is a huge part.

Of course, there's no doubt about that.

You don't make it easy for the fans to get behind the team when you're taking shots at every chance when you're yet to win a game. He's proving to be an incredibly divisive person to get behind, which is exactly what we don't need.

I'd be more concerned about somebodies wellbeing if they were at the Forest game and didn't boo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Something has gone on after that Forest game. I don’t care what NJ or anyone else says, we were a hopeless long ball outfit in that game. I’m still fuming that we basically threw that game. 

He can give it back all he wants, but it isn’t professional and he is meant to be a Premier League manager. Still, tonight was excellent, let hope it doesn’t revert to type on Saturday. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Something has gone on after that Forest game. I don’t care what NJ or anyone else says, we were a hopeless long ball outfit in that game. I’m still fuming that we basically threw that game. 

He can give it back all he wants, but it isn’t professional and he is meant to be a Premier League manager. Still, tonight was excellent, let hope it doesn’t revert to type on Saturday. 

Sometimes you have to properly hit the bottom before things start to improve. Forest was as bad as I’ve seen is play but to say that’s our type is poor. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I get that but the fans should practice what they preach. If you’re going to give it out you have to be prepared to get it back.

Tha said, it seems many of our fans are man-babies about this kind of thing. God forbid they get any criticism in life, just or unjust.

Remember how they were with Boruc? Giving him loads of shit on his home debut then when he lobbed his water bottle in their general direction they went running to the stewards making complaints. What a bunch of saps 

• Like 5

Just now, Turkish said:

Remember how they were with Boruc? Giving him loads of shit on his home debut then when he lobbed his water bottle in their general direction they went running to the stewards making complaints. What a bunch of saps 

Best keeper since Niemi. Loved Artur. 

I remember it well, disgusting behaviour and he gives it back and it’s all tears and protestations. Always been the same, as you know. We seem to have a few drippy simps who can give it but can’t take it back.

Thanks for reminding me of that moment. God, that annoyed me at the time. Boohoo nasty Artur! Doesn’t matter what we done, waaaaah. And all that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He is a tool, sorry.

so the 6 weeks world cup break dosent count then?.Hey like all  fans that sign up for their clubs, there are highs and certainly lows, but we moved the ball more confidently and City weren't able to dictate the pace of the game due to them having the night off . They will have fewer blips than us for sure ,but lets enjoy the result ,restart and go again. We are still 2 games away from league saftey.I know theres still plenty of games left but hopefully we have somehow turned the corner a bit,and the team and manager learn from this. Well played Saints.

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fair play tonight was excellent. Clearly some home truths happened after that Forest game. And we’ve binned the hoofball and the back 5. It was like watching us under Ralph tonight, fantastic performance. 

Exactly this. We don’t have a strong team/squad. We know that. Under Ralph, he got better results from the sum of their parts, while having utter capitulations of course. Jones needs that. Players working their socks off for each other, high pressure, make it difficult for the opposition. Under Jones so far and apart from Palace second half, we had been utterly passively and basically made it easy for the opposition. Palace second half and this, just want I want to see with a limited group. Work hard, play hard, and we might have a chance of staying up.

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Clearly some home truths happened after that Forest game. And we’ve binned the hoofball and the back 5. 

We went to a back 5 the last quarter tonight and the best striker in the country couldn’t get a sniff. There’s so much pony been written about jones, back 5 & “hoofball” on this thread it’s laughable.  Now people are crying that he’s a “decisive figure”, and some are even trying to make out the criticism somehow contributed to the turnaround tonight. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fair play tonight was excellent. Clearly some home truths happened after that Forest game. And we’ve binned the hoofball and the back 5. It was like watching us under Ralph tonight, fantastic performance. 

I had the feeling while watching tonight that we’d played how Ralph would have had us playing had he not had to compromise after the 9-0s. Not exactly the football version of ‘Bazball, but a positive step in the right direction. Great stuff.

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We’re still playing direct at times, the difference was the aggressiveness that’s been missing for quite a while. Villa under Ralph was at least as bad as forest under jones.

We played with back 5 for last 30 minutes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

We’re still playing direct at times, the difference was the aggressiveness that’s been missing for quite a while. Villa under Ralph was at least as bad as forest under jones.

We played with back 5 for last 30 minutes

We looked like a team again. We had a plan and executed it perfectly. Where that performance came from I have no idea. Just hope it wasn't a one off.

Some of the language directed at him as been incredibly over the top, but he hasn't been perfect by any means. He still comes across incredibly defensive and what worries me is that he still believes we played well against Forest, and were just un-done by a defensive mistake. Not at all, no foundations were set in that game at all!

But credit where it's due, tonight from a pure tactical stand point it was nailed. Everything was right. The players were on it 100% and that has to be down to how the coaching staff have put across their ideas.

I can understand some of the spikiness of Jones interviews, as some of the noise directed his way has been way, way OTT, but he needs to learn not to react as this just comes across defensive and it will be very easy for fans to throw that back in his face if it all goes wrong again.

Tonight was so far removed from Forest, so it's a step. We need to see this in the league.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

I like the spikiness of the interviews. He is a human, who after presumably being very excited at having earned the best opportunity of his career was being given some brutal and personal stick. If he wasnt affected by that it would be odd.

The key for me is that the players seemed to have a genuine connection with him at the end. I think that is hard to fake.

We may lose on Saturday, but its clear he will be here to stay so hopefully this win kicks us on, and I'm pleased for him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

He needs to stop taking everything to heart. Its a tough job, there will be problems, and patience is often missing. 

But he seems rather stung already. Stop talking Nath. Let the tactics do the work. 

I dont think hes taking it to heart. Its not him constantly asking the questions about the boos and the criticism and the pressure hes under. Hes trying his best to answer the questions. He could just let the questions slide but hes obviously passionate about what he does

• Like 2

Jones post match comments reminds me of super kev cupping his ear to us at the Hawthorns after scoring a late winner for wba after seeing 3500 saints fans waving their mobile phones at him all game. I'd be exactly the same if the fans said I was shit four games into the job. This is going to be a real love hate relationship. Or maybe just a hate hate relationship. Whatever. Keep winning games mate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Is it possible that Jones got Luton vastly over achieving because he's actually quite a good manager?

When he joined, he basically said he deserved to be at this level. He was confident he could do the job. At that point I believed in him. I wanted to believe him. If he was shit we were doomed. I still want to believe in him. 

If NJ manages to keep us up, against all odds I will eat all the humble pie going. For that to happen the players need to start showing the same fight and mental fortitude they have shown in the last game and a half [ Palace should have been out of sight before we equalized ] . The acid tests will start if we go behind against Everton, lets wait and see and hope in equal measure.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!